• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2017 (Jul 10 - Jul 16)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Media Create sent to subscribers last week's early mini report today and according to the blog standalone Switch consoles are similar to the week before (~30k) with the rest of hardware being Splatoon 2 bundles.

Urgh, thanks for the clarification.

Nintendo really couldn't ship 100,000 units last week then (unless the Splatoon 2 bundles were much more than expected). Other blogs reports stating 6 digits as a possibility be damned.

At this point I just hope shipments can be stable for a while. I mean, a scenario where sales stay in the 50-60k gap for a while wouldn't be that bad, even if there's no major one-week peak.

Still fuck the components problems, Nintendo has to solve it as fast as possible somehow; they need to, they have massive momentum right now (and fortunately enough they'll keep on having it for a while, thanks to the upcoming games), I just wouldn't stand such a potential major success being blocked by components shortages for too long.

EDIT: Editing out stupid line.

Media Create sent to subscribers last week's early mini report today and according to the blog standalone Switch consoles are similar to the week before (~30k) with the rest of hardware being Splatoon 2 bundles.

Unless there were a lot more bundles than expected that seems pretty poor. Seems the low shipments are set to continue.

Lol jesus. Forget 100k then, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a sub-50k week.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nintendo does not create artificial shortages, they just have terrible supply chain management.

L~A

I dunno why Nintendo couldn't just round up the consoles to 100k. Should have been fairly easy right?

Not if they want to provide steady shipments throughout summer holidays and until MHXX is out, I assume.

Though tbh, at this point, we're better just waiting for the official report tomorrow, no point in dissecting more or less contradictory statements/leaks/reports.

Thanks for the news, Chris.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nintendo does not create artificial shortages, they just have terrible supply chain management.

Would think they would have been better after bringing out hardware for so long .
At least have some contacts they could use.

Gotdatmoney is joking unless i thinking wrong lol.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Really dont understand how Nintendo could have underestimated Switch demand by this much when they knew what kind of first party games they had for the first year....how you drop Zelda, Mario Kart, Arms, Splatoon 2, new 3D Mario, Xenoblade 2 etc. only to not have enough consoles to sell....lol.

Kimishima messed this one up. The amount of momentum Switch could have after year 1 would have been crazy.....i honestly feel bad for everyone developing for Switch, those shortages are holding the platform back in a mayor way.

Really dont understand how Nintendo could have underestimated Switch demand by this much when they knew what kind of first party games they had for the first year....how you drop Zelda, Mario Kart, Arms, Splatoon 2, new 3D Mario, Xenoblade 2 etc. only to not have enough consoles to sell....lol.

It's like they were expecting a Wii U flop when the system is more comparable to the Wii in terms of lineup and potential. I don't get it.

Busaiku

At this point, I don't think hype/demand will sustain.
If people couldn't get it for Splatoon 2, I think they're just gonna give up entirely.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Urgh, thanks for the clarification.

Nintendo really couldn't ship 100,000 units last week then (unless the Splatoon 2 bundles were much more than expected). Other blogs reports stating 6 digits as a possibility be damned.a

At this point I just hope shipments can be stable for a while. I mean, a scenario where sales stay in the 50-60k gap for a while wouldn't be that bad, even if there's no major one-week peak.

Still fuck the components problems, Nintendo has to solve it as fast as possible somehow; they need to, they have massive momentum right now (and fortunately enough they'll keep on having it for a while, thanks to the upcoming games), I just wouldn't stand such a potential major success being blocked by components shortages. It would be devastating.
Monday report, like first day sell-through, is based on a small number of stores meaning numbers can change a bit until Wednesday, standalone consoles could be 35-40k and still be in the range of similar hardware with the week before and the number of bundles is unknown. Just don't expect any crazy numbers, even if 100k happened it's the top of what Nintendo shipped last week.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's like they were expecting a Wii U flop when the system is more comparable to the Wii in terms of lineup and potential. I don't get it.

Given how they originally talked about a 3DS successor, I suspect they didn't expect the thing to actually take off until the smaller, more portable version of the Switch came out.

They've since pivoted and started making it clear that the 3DS franchises are coming to Switch even when they have nothing to show. I was pretty surprised when they unveiled the new 3DS Metroid and opened up with (paraphrase) "This is the first of a long partnership around 2D Metroid, don't worry Switch people, WINK WINK!!!"

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Monday report, like first day sell-through, is based on a small number of stores meaning numbers can change a bit until Wednesday, standalone consoles could be 35-40k and still be in the range of similar hardware with the week before and the number of bundles is unknown. Just don't expect any crazy numbers, even if 100k happened it's the top of what Nintendo shipped last week.

Oh, thanks for the further clarification. Still, it'll be difficult to see the platform at 100k unless a miracle happens.

If people couldn't get it for Splatoon 2, I think they're just gonna give up entirely.

As said before, hopefully they'll solve the problems as much as possible, buuuuuuuuut I believe they'll still be able to sustain hype/demand for a while. There's major content coming, and the interest is incredibly high, so it can't vanish in the void so easily.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Yeah...its crazy - only reason could be that they really didnt think that the system would sell that much at the current price point. Because the big mainstream hits ala Animal Crossing or Pokemon are 2018 releases...seems like they expected only the most hardcore Nintendo fans for 2017. Now that everyone wants the system at this price they look really stupid.

Kimishima messed this one up.

Its likely every single wii u ever made used components ordered before the system even launched (and thus at 2012 prices)

Yeah I have a feeling the Switch momentum in Japan won't hold at all. Nintendo couldn't muster anything for the one of the biggest release of the year there. Damn Nintendo, Wii U messed up your thought process for these type of things.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I find that unlikely. Games will continue to release, and the switch will only have a more robust library as time goes on.

Luckily, they should have their stock issues solved long before the Animal Crossing and Pokemon hit a year or two down the line.

LordRaptor

If increased production is via a secondary factory, its possible while factory A is still cranking out regular shipments, Factory B has been exclusively on bundle shipments, and the combined output is going to be their new production cap (or more likely lower than this weeks, if "Factory B" has been stockpiling bundles for a few weeks already)

13ruce

Banned

lol you do know they are fighting with apple for parts right? They can't just ramp Switch production up like crazy.

Sure they should have made more Switches before launch and underestimated demand, but it's to late for that now and they can't fix that issue fast with apple needing alot of mobile parts too.

I had a convo about this with soneone earlier. Originally before we were aware it was component shortage I thought Nintendo was just being cautious after 2 shit launches. If it took off they would just order extra capacity.

But when it was made aware that parts are scarce I didnt grasp how you could know parts are this god damn hard to acquire and not order in higher initial volumes incase this happened? How little faith do you have to have in your product that you would cripple your shot at a big launch knowing you could never ramp up production when needed?

It's so fucking stupid.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Can somebody explain what exactly the problem is with manufacturing these Switches?

The way I understand it is that there is a shortage of certain components (silicon?) and some of the most powerfull companies on this planet are fighting over it. Nintendo got apparently the short end of the stick and are stuck producing a limited amount of Switches.

But in this situation what can Nintendo actually do to improve their output? Wait it out? Go to another supplier? Apple isn't going to stop selling a shitload of iphones and ipads any time soon, so is this something that will be a problem through out the lifespan of the Switch?

lol you do know they are fighting with apple for parts right? They can't just ramp Switch production up like crazy.

Sure they should have made more Switches before launch and underestimated demand, but it's to late for that now and they can't fix that issue fast with apple needing alot of mobile parts too.

I'm not criticizing them for not ramping up production at an insane rate now. They have their hands tied, so I can't fault them for what they are unable to do.

I am, however, criticizing their expectations for the system, because they were way off. When the system was unveiled last October I knew it would be big if they handled it properly, and when the lineup was announced I was even more confident. How they didn't expect more demand than what they've been able to supply thus far is beyond me.

Salvadora

Kimishima messed this one up. The amount of momentum Switch could have after year 1 would have been crazy.....i honestly feel bad for everyone developing for Switch, those shortages are holding the platform back in a mayor way.
It's staggering really.

Nintendo is actively shooting themselves in the foot by having such a strong software line-up and not even being close to meeting demand.

Demand is difficult to anticipate, but not for Splatoon 2.

Vinnk

Yeah I have a feeling the Switch momentum in Japan won't hold at all. Nintendo couldn't muster anything for the one of the biggest release of the year there. Damn Nintendo, Wii U messed up your thought process for these type of things.

Splatoon is crazy big here. It's not like the kids will say.

"Well, the Switch is sold out. I guess I'll never play Splatoon. Might as well buy COD".

Yeah It will piss a lot of people off. But the momentum is still definitely there.

That said, this is a bad look for Nintendo and it's not helping the machine look good to 3rd parties. There is surely some money being left on the table. For a smaller franchise I can easily see people skipping it of buying it on another platform if they can't get a Switch.

13ruce

Banned
Can somebody explain what exactly the problem is with manufacturing these Switches?

The way I understand it is that there is a shortage of certain components (silicon?) and some of the most powerfull companies on this planet are fighting over it. Nintendo got apparently the short end of the stick and are stuck producing a limited amount of Switches.

But in this situation what can Nintendo actually do to improve their output? Wait it out? Go to another supplier? Apple isn't going to stop selling a shitload of iphones and ipads any time soon, so is this something that will be a problem through out the lifespan of the Switch?

That's pretty much the problem yeah. And i dunno how they can fix it in a short time frame. Maybe some people who have experience/knowledge about how this stuff works can explain it in a nice way if it is possible to fix short term and how.

Edit: it's worse than i expected tho i was expecting like 75-100k switches saved up for Splatoon's launch, did not know the shortage of certain switch compenents was that bad.

Yeah, I definitely don't agree that a ton of permanent damage will be done here. While I'm sure many people are disappointed that they've been unable to secure a unit, I believe the lineup is strong enough that public interest in the system will maintain momentum throughout the next couple years at least. By then they should have the production issues sorted out.

LordKano

So now the console is doomed because they will ship 60k instead of 100k one week ?

Like, seriously, do you feel obliged to overreact that much every time. Demand is not going to fall anytime soon.

Zedark

This means they sold 30k non-Splatoon bundles, right? To 30k we should add the Splatoon bundles that were sold in stores this week and the preorder bundles. Wonder if that would get to 100k, though...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, I definitely don't agree that a ton of permanent damage will be done here. While I'm sure many people are disappointed that they've been unable to secure a unit, I believe the lineup is strong enough that public interest in the system will maintain momentum throughout the next couple years at least. By then they should have the production issues sorted out.

I don't believe we've actually seen demand fall out for a platform on shortages.

Individual games, yes, but that's because used copies exist, or another more appealing game comes out. There's not a sea of used Switches or exciting new hardware platforms releasing in the coming months.

13ruce

Banned

True, the must have Nintendo games have normally epic legs and sell the entire lifespan of a console and sometimes even beyond. Demand won't die anytime soon.

So now the console is doomed because they will ship 60k instead of 100k one week ?

Yeah it won't kill the Switch but it does show that sadly the shortage issue is pretty bad. I am sure it will recover sometime. And i doubt it will hurt the Switch lifetime sales a huge lot with the big games that are already out and coming.

Hero

Given how they originally talked about a 3DS successor, I suspect they didn't expect the thing to actually take off until the smaller, more portable version of the Switch came out.

They've since pivoted and started making it clear that the 3DS franchises are coming to Switch even when they have nothing to show. I was pretty surprised when they unveiled the new 3DS Metroid and opened up with (paraphrase) "This is the first of a long partnership around 2D Metroid, don't worry Switch people, WINK WINK!!!"

Did they actually say anything about a long partnership around 2D Metroid? If so I don't recall. Would be happy about that though.

This means they sold 30k non-Splatoon bundles, right? To 30k we should add the Splatoon bundles that were sold in stores this week and the preorder bundles. Wonder if that would get to 100k, though...

Wasnt ratukan suggesting 15k for the bundles? Its possible they got less than the avarage but I'd be surprised at more than 25k

asagami_

Banned
Yeah...its crazy - only reason could be that they really didnt think that the system would sell that much at the current price point. Because the big mainstream hits ala Animal Crossing or Pokemon are 2018 releases...seems like they expected only the most hardcore Nintendo fans for 2017. Now that everyone wants the system at this price they look really stupid.

People were crying DOA before, during and after the January presentation, so it's a surprise to everything. I know Switch can sell more, but unless the shortage affects to achieve the number mentioned in their forecast (it was almost equal or more than Wii U LTD right?) I wouldn't consider Switch a failure.

The next fiscal year will be important, it wouldn't surprise me if the forecast for 2019 it's surpass Game Cube numbers and maybe reach to N64 level of success.

Of course not .
Still with the line up Nintendo had for the first year it's amazing how few consoles they made before the system was out .
You have Zelda , Mario ,Splatoon , MK which are some of nintendo biggest IP and they made to few of the console .
Plus if we talking about Japan most people would see it as a handheld also .

Zedark

Wasnt ratukan suggesting 15k for the bundles? Its possible they got less than the avarage but I'd be surprised at more than 25k
But that number didn't include the preordered bundles but only those sold this week, unless I misunderstood horuhe, so that's not all either.

LordKano

Of course not .
Still with the line up Nintendo had for the first year it's amazing how few consoles they made before the system was out .
You have Zelda , Mario ,Splatoon , MK which are some of nintendo biggest IP and they made to few of them .
Plus if we talking about Japan most people would see it as a handheld also .

That was sarcastic.

Top Bottom