• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2017 (Jul 10 - Jul 16)

Scum

I was going to ask but it looks like it might already have been answered. MHW is the next "big" title for the PS4 after DQXI, right?

Terrell

I've been saying it after month 1: how outstandingly bad Nintendo's manufacturing and logistics department must be to face such shortages after months, when the total shipment number is still surprisingly low. Its only their initial loss.

Yes, how dare they not be bullish about production right out of the gate like they were with Wii U, which never saw a price drop due to said bullish production. And the nerve of them not being able to predict the time and scope of component shortages. THE NERVE, I SAY.

Bruno MB

I always believed that Nintendo Switch severe supply issues were going to continue so I only predicted 225.000 units sold for the entire month, and maybe I was even a bit optimistic, we will see.

I expected something like this:

[Week 26, 2017] 30.000 - 35.000
[Week 27, 2017] 30.000 - 35.000
[Week 28, 2017] 30.000 - 35.000
[Week 29, 2017] 80.000 - 90.000
[Week 30, 2017] 35.000 - 40.000

Xbro

* In Splatoon 2, Nintendo is just now launching what is IMO the last of its strongest own titles this year; no Pokemon before 2018; I don't see Xenoblade 2 / Mario Odyssey touching either of Splatoon / Zelda / Mario Kart. Splatoon 2 preorder activities have been noted and considered.

You don't think Mario Odyssey will be at least a match for Zelda?

Hello, just wanna say I edited without quoting anyone in particular.

Curious why you think Mario Odyssey isn't considered a big release for Nintendo compared to Mario Kart or Zelda. While 3D World sold less than 700k iirc, 3D Land sold like 2 million on the 3DS and both of the Galaxy games sold over a million on the Wii.

Edit: Xbro always beating me to the punch.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Assuming Mario Odyssey is as great as we think it will be - it will outsell BotW for sure. Mario 64 was big back then and 3D Land on 3DS sold +2m.

Yes, how dare they not be bullish about production right out of the gate like they were with Wii U, which never saw a price drop due to said bullish production. And the nerve of them not being able to predict the time and scope of component shortages. THE NERVE, I SAY.

Please. WiiU wasn't even an objectively large shipment. Lacking the ability to ramp up production on an already objectively low initial shipment, months after launch, is incompetency on Nintendo's part.

In CY2017, in Japan, PS4 hardware will outsell Switch hardware. It will also outsell 3DS hardware.

edit: mini-rationale
* Low impact of Arms tells me the blue ocean has not yet come back to Nintendo (at current pricing at least)
* In Splatoon 2, Nintendo is just now launching what is IMO the last of its strongest own titles this year; no Pokemon before 2018; I don't see Xenoblade 2 / Mario Odyssey touching either of Splatoon / Zelda / Mario Kart. Splatoon 2 preorder activities have been noted and considered.
* In general Nintendo keeps flubbing its software launches with weaksauce Switch hardware availability. This will continue.
* Reported preorder activities tell me DQ XI has a good shot at selling best on PS4, giving a good boost (remember, just like the 2DSXL, PS4 is not made of components), sucking up even more short-term 3rd-p investment
* 14nm is ramping up, PS4 / Pro pricing may change before the year is over; for Switch, impact will be lower because of non-silicon cost drivers and poorly managed supply

Despite the massive shortages for the switch and the fact that it didn't release until march it is already over 200K ahead of he PS4 this year. Thats a pretty massive gap to cover.

The rest of your points feel like massive stretches just looking for reasons to justify your position. I'm not sure what arms relatively low impact has to do with the blue ocean or why that would prevent them selling more than the PS4 this year.

You say that Nintendo haven't got much big SW to release this year post splatoon 2 but what does the PS4 have in the pipeline post DQXI? Mario is going to be far bigger than anything the PS4 has coming this year and IMO may end up selling more than any game released on the PS4. There are other mid tier titles like xenoblade, pokken and MHXX to come.

More importantly though the titles Nintendo have already released will continue pushing Hw throughout the holidays and due to lack of supply the pent up demand should see the switch continue to easily sell out the rest of the year.

The only possible way the PS4 outsells the switch this year is if switch shipments suddenly come to a grinding halt. There's just no way it's even a contest.

Taurus

Please. WiiU wasn't even an objectively large shipment. Lacking the ability to ramp up production on an already objectively low initial shipment, months after launch, is incompetency on Nintendo's part.
Haven't the reasons why they exactly can't ramp up the production so easily been discussed already like a thousand times?

Yeah, Nintendo doesn't want to sell more consoles. They choose not to ramp up production just for fun and create artificial shortages instead, right? That's damn smart business thinking!

Rncewind

Haven't the reasons why they exactly can't ramp up the production so easily been discussed already like a thousand times?

Yeah, Nintendo doesn't want to sell more consoles. They choose not to ramp up production just for fun and create artificial shortages instead, right? That's damn smart business thinking!

No its bad business thinking because they cant ramp up production even after this ammount of time and is something that is clearly nintendos fault, which many other already pointed out.

What is even to discuss here?

It's not really keeping up with Wii in US either anymore. Wii was pulling 350k months (with stock problems) by this time when Switch (with stock problems) is pulling 200k months.

I think they'll be in a similar position at the one year mark, considering that the Wii's launch and 1st holiday happened at the same time while the Switch's launch and first holiday are two separate time periods within the same year. I'm actually surprised consoles aren't launched outside the holiday season more often, it seems like common sense to capitalize on both instances of high sales by separating the two events rather than compounding the stock issues that almost every console runs into at launch. Just imagine how many frustrated customers there would be if the Switch was as popular as it is AND launched in mid-November rather than the random early March release date.

Eolz

Interesting how this post got skipped over and others didn't

The regular threads about how Nintendo is doing "artificial demand/stock shortages/etc" should be enough to see people don't want to get that it's more incompetence than being evil.
There's been countless articles and good posts about how it's mainly bad planning, but some people will never want to listen to that.

cw_sasuke

Interesting how this post got skipped over and others didn't

???

I mean its a fact everyone with two braincells knows that Nintendo doesnt create shortages just to screw their customers...the last pages were about how bad and unflexible the production environment seem to be.

Fdkn

???

I mean its a fact everyone with two braincells knows that Nintendo doesnt create shortages just to screw their customers...the last pages were about how bad and unflexible the production environment seem to be.

His point is thay anyone talking about Nintendo in terms of incompetence or failure is getting replied and argued otherwise except that one.

I mean it was pretty obvious

ksamedi

A lot of the discussion and critique against any company in these these threads are usually too harsh and I blame my self for this too. We really dont know enough inner details of any company to have deep discussions about them. Yeah, maybe Nintendos supply chain management is horrible, but what is the basis of this? We know the WiiU was way overshipped and had a negative inpact. So making deals and order parts on demand seems like a better option, but shortages can happen, and then you have a problem. They probably did order bigger amounts to get production rolling, but I think its reasonable to for them to have waited out the initial resulta of the Switch before committing to bigger shipments.

But 3DS had the infamous early price cut. It's a somewhat complicated comparison I think.

(can't comment on DS right now as I don't remember its first year in detail)

If I recall, the DS didn't really take off until the DS Lite released. I wouldn't be too surprised if the Switch outpaces its first year. It's keeping up with the 3rd year and beyond that would be incredibly impressive.

Turrican3

If I recall, the DS didn't really take off until the DS Lite released. I wouldn't be too surprised if the Switch outpaces its first year. It's keeping up with the 3rd year and beyond that would be incredibly impressive.
Yeah I remember the DS Lite boom as well but I'd have to look at actual numbers... I'm getting too old for this stuff lol.

100% this is my recollection too. The DS took off when the DS Lite released and Nintendogs and the Brain games launched.

I think they'll be in a similar position at the one year mark, considering that the Wii's launch and 1st holiday happened at the same time while the Switch's launch and first holiday are two separate time periods within the same year. I'm actually surprised consoles aren't launched outside the holiday season more often, it seems like common sense to capitalize on both instances of high sales by separating the two events rather than compounding the stock issues that almost every console runs into at launch. Just imagine how many frustrated customers there would be if the Switch was as popular as it is AND launched in mid-November rather than the random early March release date.

Sales might be pretty similar one year in but I wouldn't exactly call that completely fair comparison. Having your first holiday six months after launch gives you big supply advantage compared to having your first holiday during launch quarter. Switch having launch during different quarter compared to most of successful consoles makes comparisons little more harder early on. I agree that holiday season really isn't as important for launch period as people think because nevertheless you are pretty much always limited by supply during launch quarters. PS4 had by far biggest ever launch quarter (4.5 million) and still had big stock issues.

cw_sasuke

His point is thay anyone talking about Nintendo in terms of incompetence or failure is getting replied and argued otherwise except that one.

There isnt anything to reply there - even theprodigy only quoted it to say that no one reacted to the post while he didnt respond to it either.

If there were issues with the statement or something to discuss people would have jumped on it, but its pretty clear and most sales gaf users know it. Dont know what you were expecting here.

MoonFrog

Hmmm...100k as the high end extreme possibility is sad. That's where I said I'd be borderline disappointed iirc, and it is sounding like we'll be below it, perhaps significantly.

Oh well. We'll see.

I honestly just thought it was a commonly accepted truth at this point. I mean, it's kind of understandable why they were hesitant on Switch's potential, but that doesn't change the fact that they're horrible at this whole production thing and have been for decades. I've always seen it as a bad combo of conservatism and incompetence.

Ex-Psych

Since we're going to get both info of how much Switch has sold last in Japan and worldwide tomorrow, what are your predictions on how much Nintendo has shipped Switches worldwide?

I would personally be a bit dissapointed if it was less than 4 million.

Since we're going to get both info of how much Switch has sold last in Japan and worldwide tomorrow, what are your predictions on how much Nintendo has shipped Switches worldwide?

Isn't that essentially impossible at this point? Between April and June we have the US+Japan shipments at around 1.1m with semi-official numbers. So it would need to have done less than 200k in the rest of the world over 3 full months to be under 4m LTD.

Zedark

I think we will see them at around 4.75 million, since that would fit the sales pattern of US and Japan pretty well.

Top Bottom