• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 3, 2014 (Jan 13 - Jan 19)

Mario007

With the stamina system one thing that started sticking out to me is we're getting toward the point where there will be enough social mobile games that are games that if you rotated them, you could keep going for a notably long time without having to break out a handheld or do something else instead.

I'm kind of curious to see if that has any impact over the next couple of years, either with software sales continuing to slide or an even slower uptake on the next handheld.

Of course, a number of things could cause that, so it might not be a great evidence set without a player usage study.
I think the main problem with Stamima, at least for me, would be the fact that once I'm enthralled by the game I want to keep playing that game and no game else. I don't want to take a break, I want to finish the level, beat the boss, see the next cutscene. Stamima mode basically uses all these attributes which make me a dedicated gamer and which make me fall in love with my favourite games and uses it against me.

Stamima mode is great for mobile games though, if we are seeing them as a time-wasting opportunity when waiting for the bus or sitting on a toilet. If we are to take mobile games as substitute for traditional games which many Japanese seem to want to make happene then it works quite against attracting the intended audience. Having said that Stamima is exactly what the mobile gamers wants, as opposed to the more full priced console-like games as demonstrated by the f2p titles employing Stamima vastly outgrossing titles like the FF re-releases or Deus Ex.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
"At some point" seems to be a trend. I suspect that Japanese next generation development will be lagging behind yet again :/
Yeah, we're about one month from the PS4's launch and there's still nothing getting announced in a remotely concrete fashion.

We have a bunch of developers going "We'll be there eventually.", but in terms of things actually coming out we have 26 games at launch, Metal Gear in March, a few "2014" titles, and a gigantic question mark.

It doesn't look like happy times for the PS4 in at least its first year barring a huge software announcement turnaround which gets less and less likely which each successive game not announced for it.

I think the main problem with Stamima, at least for me, would be the fact that once I'm enthralled by the game I want to keep playing that game and no game else. I don't want to take a break, I want to finish the level, beat the boss, see the next cutscene. Stamima mode basically uses all these attributes which make me a dedicated gamer and which make me fall in love with my favourite games and uses it against me.

Stamima mode is great for mobile games though, if we are seeing them as a time-wasting opportunity when waiting for the bus or sitting on a toilet. If we are to take mobile games as substitute for traditional games which many Japanese seem to want to make happene then it works quite against attracting the intended audience. Having said that Stamima is exactly what the mobile gamers wants, as opposed to the more full priced console-like games as demonstrated by the f2p titles employing Stamima vastly outgrossing titles like the FF re-releases or Deus Ex.
I totally get where you're coming from.

I think the concept is a bit more workable in Japan though where many games are already designed with a short mission structure a la Monster Hunter so the idea of playing for a while and stopping isn't as ridiculously off-base seeming.

Of course, with short missions in Monster Hunter you can still sit and play for five hours if you wanted to.

That said, one thing about these games is that they're still largely just combat systems and a few systems in support of said combat systems. The "adventure" part still isn't really there, which while fitting a stamina system more, I feel makes it less enticing to fans of more traditional implementations of these kinds of games.

Very informative post, you should make this into its own thread. Although there's will be a probable case of 'lol mobile' drive by posts.
Thanks. I think it might be a bit lengthy for someone anyone will read though outside of a context like this. I'll think it over though and maybe refactor.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
2DS is not coming out in Japan. No one would buy it there, and Nintendo knows this.

For 10k yen it would sell. Especially if it means they can bundle games with it for less than 15K yen - Puzzle Dragon, Yokai Watch, Pokemon etc. would all benefit from such a cheap SKU.

DaBoss

2DS is not coming out in Japan. No one would buy it there, and Nintendo knows this.
That's probably not true. It would be a lot cheaper than the normal 3DS.
If MH4 + Pokemon didn't do it I doubt MH4G would.
Uhh what? They moved a lot of hardware and the games sold a lot. They didn't push the 3DS YoY (or even above 5M) as a long-term effect on hardware sales, but it is silly to downplay the impact they had.

And similarly, the 2DS and MH4G would have an impact, may not be as great of an impact as XY and MH4 though.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I remember Nirolak was asking, a few weeks ago, what was Capcom going to bring to the platform.
Well, it seems Capcom answered this week XD

Hopefully, we'll see something more than AA and MH...Shu Takumi's new title?

Mario007

I remember Nirolak was asking, a few weeks ago, what was Capcom going to bring to the platform.

I don't think Capcom as a whole has anything new cooking for 3DS and not because of an apathy towards the system but simply because the company is trying to transition and focus on online and mobile offerings (which I think is a mistake). MH make sense simply because that's what makes Capcom money. It's similar to SE's drop off in support of the handhelds.

DaBoss

Ace Attorney news should come some time this year, I forget what the event was.

And yea, it doesn't seem Capcom will support the 3DS outside of these titles. It may or may not be a mistake. Look at Gaist Crusher, that game bombed spectacularly.
I think the actual design of the device would hold it back in Japan.
I guess it is not as portable as the regular 3DS and the XL.

How do tablets fair in Japan?

DrWong

[PS3] Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Boost (25 days) - 370K
[WIU] Wii Fit U (23 days) - 75K
[3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters 2 (18 days) - 600K
[WIU] Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (11 days) - 135K
[PS3] Yakuza Ishin (2 days) - 170K
[PS4] Yakuza Ishin (2 days) - 90K
[PS4] Hardware (2 days) - 310K

Shahed

Eh last gen consoles survived on such banality for the majority of the generation.
Why else do you think a lot of people were sick of last gen and wanted new IP's :p

It's a natural progression of a platforms lifecycle though so blaming Nintendo is weird when everyone does it.

If Nintendo could pull of 4G, Pokemon Z, 2DS and Dragon Quest XI someway, 3DS could have a decent year again.

The 'Pokemon Z' version is usually ~2 years after the initial release. Regardless, the 3DS's line-up for this year is starting to shape up nicely.

Kirby Triple Deluxe
Fossil Fighters: Infinite Gear
Mario Party: Island Tour
Yoshi's New Island
Mario Golf: World Tour
Super Smash Bros. For 3DS
Persona Q
Senran Kagura
Harvest Moon
Devil Survivor 2
DQMII
MH4G
AA123 Collection
Theatrhythm 2

And maybe Bravely Second and a Youkai Watch sequel. Now, some new IPs would be wonderful on top of that, especially since we're talking about whether the system can push ~5 million again this year.

Ty4on

And maybe Bravely Second and a Youkai Watch sequel. Now, some new IPs would be wonderful on top of that, especially since we're talking about whether the system can push ~5 million again this year.

5 million seems insanely high considering 3DS HW sales so far this year are down ~35% from 2012 and 2013.

5 million seems insanely high considering 3DS HW sales so far this year are down ~35% from 2012 and 2013.

Yes, well, we are only three weeks into the year and we still only know a portion of the year's releases. We'll see how we go, but I am expecting it to be down at the moment short of a new Brain Training/Nintendog craze or a very appealing new hardware revision.

Oregano

Nothing's been teased, just speculating that they would probably want more than PSN.

It's obviously Monster Hunter 4G.#keepingthedreamalive

Also why wouldn't the 2DS sell? If it went it in at an aggressive low price I could see it selling well.

L Thammy

How does updated MH games compare to the original in sales?

Here's the first two (Monster Hunter Portable = Monster Hunter G, Monster Hunter Portable 2nd = Monster Hunter 2)

Code:
PS2	Monster Hunter	                  288,559   
PS2	Monster Hunter G	          232,239
PSP	Monster Hunter Portable	        1,122,604     (+ PSP the Best & BEST reprint)

PS2	Monster Hunter 2	          692,005     (+ BEST)
PSP	Monster Hunter Portable 2nd	1,720,397
PSP	Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G	4,155,472     (+ BEST & BEST Reprint)

However, this case is still unusual since mainline games originated on console until 4. Handhelds are obviously much more popular for this series.
Also, can someone remind me what the new Garaph is? I need to bookmark it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I asked what they were bringing that wasn't Monster Hunter or Ace Attorney. ^_^

Shu Takumi's game wouldn't be a bad guess outside of that, but still not seeing much. :p

sörine

Banned
I don't think Capcom as a whole has anything new cooking for 3DS and not because of an apathy towards the system but simply because the company is trying to transition and focus on online and mobile offerings (which I think is a mistake). MH make sense simply because that's what makes Capcom money. It's similar to SE's drop off in support of the handhelds.
It's like that with Capcom's console output too now. At this point in PS3's cycle we already knew about DMC4, MH3, RE5 and Lost Planet while on PS4 all they have is Deep Down.

Mpl90

Shu Takumi's game wouldn't be a bad guess outside of that, but still not seeing much. :p

Eh, I seriously hope to see something else, especially more than one title that isn't AA or MH.

However, any updates for DQM's performance on iOS?

sörine;98529488 said:
It's like that with Capcom's console output too now. At this point in PS3's cycle we already knew about DMC4, MH3, RE5 and Lost Planet while on PS4 all they have is Deep Down.

Prepare for RE, MH, RE, MH, AA, mobile,mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile,
from Capcom for next few years.

If we are lucky they might even throw SFIV turbo ultimate full hd remix into the mix.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Eh, I seriously hope to see something else, especially more than one title that isn't AA or MH.

However, any updates for DQM's performance on iOS?

Found it. Up to #2: http://www.apptiled.com/index.php/iphone-ipad/app-store/iphone-top-grossing-apps (select Japan from the drop down).

sörine;98529488 said:
Yes their lineup is very anemic in general outside of social-mobile.

L Thammy

I believe that's it. Thank you very much.

They haven't had a ton of luck on 3DS aside from Ace Attorney and Monster Hunter. They may be winding down their 3DS support.
And the extremely conservative atmosphere Keiji Inafune talked about may still be present after his departure.

Mpl90

Since I brought up DQM, for information sake:

Just checked DQ8 on Android: only now is in the 50,000 - 100,000 ballpark. Given how it was progressing, looking at AppAnnie graphs weeks ago, it's safe to say it's just over 50,000 units, and that it'll last in that period for a looong time.

Given the iOS DQVIII graph, and how usually the iOS / Android has been...175,000 - 200,000 units total (iOS + Android) could be a good estimate.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All right, we potentially have some numbers from someone in the know.

Nicolas Godement is the general manager of gumi Europe. gumi makes Brave Frontier and has spent a lot of time at the top of the Japanese iOS Top Grossing charts, including positions like #2 and #3.

He estimates that Dragon Quest Monsters: Super Light is bringing in around $1 million a day currently being in the top ~2-4 range.

dqmfckse.png

Source: https://twitter.com/NicolasG_B/status/427406309089357825

For comparison, Dragon Quest VII went out at 6090 yen, which is the equivalent of $59.47.

Games on iOS have a (notably healthy) 70% margin, but we'll ignore that for now in case Nintendo waives the licensing fee for Dragon Quest games on 3DS.

Each month that Square Enix can stay up in the top 4-5-ish range (to account for fluctuation up and down above their average earnings, which is common with event driven social games), they reach the equivalent of selling approximately 500,000 copies of Dragon Quest VII on 3DS.

Obviously if they start tanking faster than a month, they don't earn nearly as much.

Since I brought up DQM, for information sake:

Just checked DQ8 on Android: only now is in the 50,000 - 100,000 ballpark. Given how it was progressing, looking at AppAnnie graphs weeks ago, it's safe to say it's just over 50,000 units, and that it'll last in that period for a looong time.

Given the iOS DQVIII graph, and how usually the iOS / Android has been...175,000 - 200,000 units total (iOS + Android) could be a good estimate.
Yes I think the difference between this and the math I just did does a good job of showing why paid for mobile apps are considered a side business instead of the core business on mobile.

RalchAC

In my opinion, this year their not going to reach 5 millions. Something from 3,5 - 4,5 million is more likely. The only system seller on that list is Super Smash Bros, which could be huge since it's the first time the game appears on a handheld.

But the other games are sequels from franchises already established in the console (AA, Devil Survivor, Monster Hunter, a re-skined Etrian Odyssey, Theatrhythm 2, Senran Kagura) and Dragon Quest Monster, which is a spin-off from a franchise whose fanbase is already on the system too.

There is Kirby and Yoshi, but those two games are 2D platformers and they'll probably appeal (mainly) at the fanbase that has already bought the system for other games like NSMB2. That doesn't mean that they can't sell well (some Kirby games have sold 1 million, opening week sales were good and we should expect good legs). Yoshi's sales could be good as well, but I don't know how the IP did in the past.

Software sales will probably be pretty good.

Now it's time for the Vita to shine. PSP best years were once the DS craze slowed down. I'm not telling is going to start selling 60.000 systems a week (obviously), but 2014 and 2015 could be the system best years.

sörine

Banned
Now it's time for the Vita to shine. PSP best years were once the DS craze slowed down. I'm not telling is going to start selling 60.000 systems a week (obviously), but 2014 and 2015 could be the system best years.
Vita's in the exact same boat as 3DS. Everything big this year is a sequel to something already on the system or in an already saturated genre on the system. There's not really anything to drive userbase up out of the norm and I don't see the system really increasing sales YOY overall.

Each month that Square Enix can stay up in the top 4-5-ish range (to account for fluctuation up and down above their average earnings, which is common with event driven social games), they reach the equivalent of selling approximately 500,000 copies of Dragon Quest VII on 3DS.

Obviously if they start tanking faster than a month, they don't earn nearly as much.

Yes I think the difference between this and the math I just did does a good job of showing why paid for mobile apps are considered a side business instead of the core business on mobile.

I want to cry.

Mpl90

Nicolas Godement is the general manager of gumi Europe. gumi makes Brave Frontier and has spent a lot of time at the top of the Japanese iOS Top Grossing charts, including positions like #2 and #3.

He estimates that Dragon Quest Monsters: Super Light is bringing in around $1 million a day currently being in the top ~2-4 range.

dqmfckse.png

Source: https://twitter.com/NicolasG_B/status/427406309089357825

For comparison, Dragon Quest VII went out at 6090 yen, which is the equivalent of $59.47.

Games on iOS have a (notably healthy) 70% margin, but we'll ignore that for now in case Nintendo waives the licensing fee for Dragon Quest games on 3DS.

Dragon Quest VIII results clearly show how mobile audience is (still) not that receptive to console games on mobile platforms with premium prices. In more than one month, it probably sold what a DQVIII for 3DS would have sold in...half day one? And (currently) good, if not great results for DQM show how this audience is far more receptive for free to play titles. It seems free to play is (by, by, by far) the main way to release games on iOS / Android, certainly not console-like games. Even titles like Agito and next Chaos Ring are free to play

..Could I dare to say mobile audience was more receptive for console-like experiences in the past? I remember how EA released Dead Space and Mass Effect games over there, but now they're not there anymore.

Top Bottom