• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 32, 2013 (Aug 05 - Aug 11)

Myshkin

https://sites.google.com/site/japanltdrank/

Used my expert web skills to put up that page so people can use as a reference while JoshuaJSlone decides what he'll do with Garaph.

It only has 1% of the features of Garaph, though. No hardware sales, no weekly sales or fancy chart making, just a plain list of software sales with first week and the last known ltd (total sales), only from Famitsu.

Each column header has an upside down triangle button, where you can use filters to search for the game you want or to sort.

Now I wait for threats from Japan.

Glad I decided to come into this thread again late in the week.
(^*,*^\

Taiko should just go multiplatform, I don't see any downsides besides higher development cost which would be offset by better sales and the fact they they like to release Taiko on most platforms already anyway. The casual market is split between many platforms.

Honestly for most mid to large sized independent developers (who aren't mega studios like Valve, Epic, or Crytek with alternative revenue streams) this ultimately makes sense, which is why you see so many of them sell to publishers eventually.
What alternative revenue stream does Crytek have? I've always wondered how they survive when their games don't even sell that much.

This makes no sense.

Taiko on PS3 is much more risky than on Wii U.
No it wouldn't. If Taiko is on Wii U and not PS3, it'll only be because of the Wii versions' success and the potential higher sales for the series when the Wii U userbase gets bigger.

Tripon

Taiko should just go multiplatform, I don't see any downsides besides higher development cost which would be offset by better sales and the fact they they like to release Taiko on most platforms already anyway. The casual market is split between many platforms.

What alternative revenue stream does Crytek have? I've always wondered how they survive when their games don't even sell that much.

Middleware. They license their latest version of Crytek Engines to other devs.

Taiko games chart for months, and that's not happening on PS3. Plus, Taiko appeals to kids too, not just families and casuals. That audience is non existent on PS3.

Middleware. They license their latest version of Crytek Engines to other devs.
Oh right, so obvious.

Taiko games chart for months, and that's not happening on PS3. Plus, Taiko appeals to kids too, not just families and casuals. That audience is non existent on PS3.
Do you think the Wii U is capable of selling Taiko for months right now? You're better off advocating for a Wii version instead, but then we'd be back to the MH3G situation and the PSP, you have to move on sometime.

Do you think the WIi U is capable of selling Taiko for months right now? You're better off advocating for a Wii version instead, but then we'd be back to the MH3G situation and the PSP, you have to move on sometime.
If things go right this holiday season, yes. It will grow with the install base.

Kid Ying

Well, if we go by Nintendoland, also a party game, which is still charting... It could happen.

And i think Taiko is already multiplataform. You have PSP versions, 3DS versions, Wii versions... The series never was locked on a single platform. If people wants a Taiko fix, they got plenty of opportunities. If what you meant was a PS3 version, well, i don't think there would be a problem releasing it. Namco probably never found it to be viable.

Well, if we go by Nintendoland, also a party game, which is still charting... It could happen.

And i think Taiko is already multiplataform. You have PSP versions, 3DS versions, Wii versions... The series never was locked on a single platform. If people wants a Taiko fix, they got plenty of opportunities. If what you meant was a PS3 version, well, i don't think there would be a problem releasing it. Namco probably never found it to be viable.
I was talking more about multiplatform at release for each release, not staggered releases for each platform, I mean people buy sequels by the dozens already. It'd just make things easier for them.

If things go right this holiday season, yes. It will grow with the install base.
Well Bandai is probably the biggest third party to benefit from a Wii U success and with next-gen systems not even out yet, its a no brainer what platform they'll release it on. I just think a PS3 would be worth it for them on top of a Wii U version. In general, big third party casual games should try to establish themselves on every platform, just so they can minimize the risk when a new gen start, they'll be able to find a market regardless which platforms succeed.

I was talking more about multiplatform at release for each release, not staggered releases for each platform, I mean people buy sequels by the dozens already. It'd just make things easier for them.

Well Bandai is probably the biggest third party to benefit from a Wii U success and with next-gen systems not even out yet, its a no brainer what platform they'll release it on. I just think a PS3 would be worth it for them on top of a Wii U version. In general, big third party casual games should try to establish themselves on every platform, just so they can minimize the risk when a new gen start, they'll be able to find a market regardless which platforms succeed.

Namco, that's the side behind Taiko. XD

jett

D-Member
I don't see W101 doing all that much better in the US either. I hope that Platinum doesn't get Mistwalker'd this generation with their Wii U exclusivity deals (and rumored XB1 deal).

MGR was a success, so hopefully Konami has their backs. :p

I'm not entirely sure. Independent developers don't usually get royalties.

At this point I think they're just happy to get work wherever, given they were complaining about issues signing projects.

Really? I thought they usually got a cut of the sales.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Generally independent developers have contracts that are one of the following:
1.) Completion bonus (and maybe metacritic bonus), no royalties.
2.) Completion bonus (and maybe metacritic bonus), royalties start after the publisher has completely made back development + marketing costs + return fee insurance + X amount of profit, and then they get some really low percentage. Basically this is so stacked against the developer that they're not going to get anything in 90%+ of cases, and if they do, they get very little.

There are exceptions to this, but it's for mega-indie studios like Epic, Respawn, and Bungie who can negotiate excellent deals because they sell millions upon millions of copies.

Most of the time, third-party studios under the auspices of a publisher get paid a set amount for development.

It's favorable for the publisher because it requires them to constantly be looking for new work, instead of coasting for years on one massively-successful title (like Mojang and Minecraft).

The reward if their game is successful is more contracts with the same publisher and various bonuses.

I'm suprised by people's surprise about W101 sales.

Just look at the sales of externally-developed new IPs from Nintendo on Wii. Takt of Magic, Captain Rainbow, Disaster Day of Crisis, Pandora's Tower, Endless Ocean and Zangeki no Reginleiv are all under 50k LTD. Xenoblade and Last Story were the only ones to have decent sales, but those have much broader appeal

Taiko is running on the PS3 already as a mini game in Ryu ga Gotoku 5, so the engine exists in some form.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm suprised by people's surprise about W101 sales.

Just look at the sales of externally-developed new IPs from Nintendo on Wii. Takt of Magic, Captain Rainbow, Disaster Day of Crisis, Pandora's Tower, Endless Ocean and Zangeki no Reginleiv are all under 50k LTD. Xenoblade and Last Story were the only ones to have decent sales, but those have much broader appeal
Well, we havnt really seen how much W101 has sold yet, only what the retailers have ordered. I'm not sure if Nintendo has the same sales expectations for The Wonderful 101 compared to the games that you listed though. W101 is said to have a bigger budget than Bayonetta, so it isnt exactly a small budget game. W101 also have TV commercials (although i dont know if any of the other games had that or not), and the WiiU hasnt exactly seem many game releases on it yet.

nampad

What kind of non-game stuff do you do?

CY: There is a whole industry in serious games, and we have a lot of contracts going on from gas and oil companies, General Electric, all the way to SOCOM. We have a lot of military companies working with our technology, in fact.

So you provide simulation and training software?

CY: Technologies, simulations, contract work, whatever they need and whatever they want. We have a studio for serious game development. That studio is a subsidiary of Crytek, but it's not called Crytek. It's studio number seven -- so secret I didn't even mention it! [laughs]
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/134518/the_bleeding_edge_cevat_yerli_on_.php?page=3

Alrus

Well the Line up would have been awful for a Japan launch anyway. I expect the PS4 to struggle getting japanese centric support for a while anyway :/

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Sometimes they get paid on a sliding milestone scale, if they miss a milestone or are late it can affect overall payment, as well.

And I wouldn't worry too much about Platinum, they likely don't cost as much as you think and have never been big sellers anyway. Not even close.

Kid Ying

It's just amazing that we're seeing PS4 releasing in places like Brazil and Peru before Japan... It's unbelievable. Wiiu still wasn't released in Brazil, for christ sake.

I know with that lineup it would be a dumb thing to do, but it's not like that ever mattered. I guess they are learning from their past mistakes, but it also makes me a little sad. To see Japan neglected like this is a damn shame. Specially because it seems i will not get a PS4 this year. :\

Road

It's just amazing that we're seeing PS4 releasing in places like Brazil and Peru before Japan... It's unbelievable. Wiiu still wasn't released in Brazil, for christ sake.

I know with that lineup it would be a dumb thing to do, but it's not like that ever mattered. I guess they are learning from their past mistakes, but it also makes me a little sad. To see Japan neglected like this is a damn shame. Specially because it seems i will not get a PS4 this year. :\

Don't worry, Japan will be tier 1 again when the whole world is united in smartphone gaming.

Is Famitsu's magazine out this week? Oban likely kept it from coming out last week, and that's over right?

Yes, it is. Obon, by the way. =P

squall23

For the people that think Taiko for PS3 is less riskier than Wii U, are you guys forgetting the Taiko drum controller for Wii that will most likely be usable for Wii U? If Bamco were to make a PS3 version they'd have to engineer another piece of hardware for another system just for a single game series.

If someone already bought one for one system, I highly doubt they'd buy another one just so they can play it on the other system especially since we're nearing the end of the generation.

Dalthien

We'll see, and lol at vita doing better than ps3 with the lineup it has

Yeah, we'll see - but the PS3 has been selling horribly this year in terms of hardware. We're at Week 32, and the PS3 is barely over 500k for the year, and is down 25% YOY - and it was only selling like 50k/wk during the holidays last year. And I don't see much in the software lineup that won't be selling to the same base of customers that already owns a PS3.

Whatever place it finishes in for the holiday season - it won't be putting up good numbers.

Don't know if it was posted but Dynasty Warriors 8:Xtreme Legends was announced for PS3/Vita.
Cross save nd cross play.
Releasing November 28.

Also W101 got 39/40 in Famitsu and JoJo a perfect 40/40.

Top Bottom