• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2013 (Aug 12 - Aug 18)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
ok so if a crossover/spinoff/remake sells as a main episode, it underperforms and it's a failure, and so goes for 300k sellers in Japanese market
I'll take note.

You took the sales of the worst selling Layton and use them as baseline for the series. Layton 6 sales are the reason we won't see the same Layton again.

PL x AA was neither fish nor fowl, in fairness. It wasn't a very good Phoenix Wright game, it wasn't a very good Layton game... it sorta fell between the two stools, which didn't help at all.

DaBoss

Maybe it's a F2P social card game with microtransactions and online.
Nintendo Logic™:

If Fire Emblem sells 500k and SMT IV sells 240k, SMTxFE will break 700k

on Wii U
Pretty much.
The WiiU needs games to boost sales.

The 3DS does not.

(Although it would fit more as a portable title than a console one)
The Wii U needs bigger games to boost sales, not a crossover game of two series that haven't seen entries on the console and would likely give it a small marginal boost.

It would fit better on 3DS due to both series that have had their most recent entries on the 3DS.

vctor182

Pretty much.

The Wii U needs bigger games to boost sales, not a crossover game of two series that haven't seen entries on the console and would likely give it a small marginal boost.

It would fit better on 3DS due to both series that have had their most recent entries on the 3DS.

What if they announce a FE:A/SMT IV port to Wii U?

Nintendo Logic™:

If Fire Emblem sells 500k and SMT IV sells 240k, SMTxFE will break 700k

on Wii U

Nah, I'm sure IntSys just wanted to make a new FE for Wii U, asked Atlus for help and they said it would be perfect to combine Fire Emblem and SMT and bring it to a modern setting.

Prediction League September, 2013

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Aug 26 to Sep 29):

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (16 days) - 2,455,000
[PS3] JoJo's All Star Battle (32 days) - 480,000
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIV ARR (34 days) - 110,500
[PS3+360] Lost Planet 3 (32 days) - 33,333
[PS3+PSV] Sen no Kiseki (4 days) - 91,000
[WIU] Zelda Wind Waker HD (4 days) - 90,000
[3DS] Little Battlers eXperience Wars (4 days) - 44,500
[3DS] Hardware (35 days) - 500,001

Scum

Maybe it's a F2P social card game with microtransactions and online.

7MHUV.gif

duckroll

Im kind of starting to worry how wwhd will perform. Could 250k ltd be too lofty?

I'm not even sure if it'll do over 100k. Zelda on consoles have been on a straight decline in Japan, and this is nothing more than an enhanced port as far as content goes. I don't see why it would sell well at all.

Wind Waker GC - 742,609
Twilight Princess Wii - 552,476
Skyward Sword Wii - 297,441

At this point I honestly believe that porting Wind Waker to the 3DS would result in higher sales. :p

Madouu

Im kind of starting to worry how wwhd will perform. Could 250k ltd be too lofty?

I think it will do fine, higher than most the predictions here. Even if it's a remake it's the first easily recognizable Nintendo franchise on the console since launch. I'm thinking higher opening than Pikmin for sure.

Glass Rebel

What if they announce a FE:A/SMT IV port to Wii U?

The three Wii U owners who want to play FE and SMT but don't want a 3DS will lose their shit.

Nah, I'm sure IntSys just wanted to make a new FE for Wii U, asked Atlus for help and they said it would be perfect to combine Fire Emblem and SMT and bring it to a modern setting.

We know how this was conceived from some interviews. That doesn't change the fact that it's baffling how they came to the conclusion that this would have any meaningful impact on the Wii U. They already said that a Fire Emblem game on Wii U would have to sell 700k units to be worth the effort. It just sounds like someone thought "this would be neat" with no regards for sales potential or what the console needs.

Yes.SS only did 300k and this is a remake on the WiiU.

The biggest worry for SMT x FE is if its a game that doesn't quite please FE fans and SMT fans. The respective rpgs are quite different and I am interested into to seeing what kind of the rpg the end product is.

duckroll

I think it will do fine, higher than most the predictions here. Even if it's a remake it's the first easily recognizable Nintendo franchise on the console since launch. I'm thinking higher opening than Pikmin for sure.

The issue is that Zelda on consoles doesn't mean much to Japan anymore. If you think Pikmin 3's 95k opening on WiiU is bad, let's refresh some memories: Skyward Sword's opening on the Wii with a much larger userbase and as a brand new long awaited Zelda title.... was something like 195k.

Oregano

I'm not even sure if it'll do over 100k. Zelda on consoles have been on a straight decline in Japan, and this is nothing more than an enhanced port as far as content goes. I don't see why it would sell well at all.

Wind Waker GC - 742,609

At this point I honestly believe that porting Wind Waker to the 3DS would result in higher sales. :p

I'm personally thinking Wind Waker does maybe 120-150K but it takes a while. Also when I read the bolded I was like "no duh"... I honestly don't think there's any Wii U game that wouldn't do better on 3DS. It'd mean compromising the vision a whole lot but even Wonderful 101, X and Bayo 2 would do better on 3DS. I'd probably say that even if Wii U was relatively healthy.

Scum

Wind Waker GC - 742,609

That spot is reserved for Majora's Mask.

duckroll

I'm personally thinking Wind Waker does maybe 120-150K but it takes a while. Also when I read the bolded I was like "no duh"... I honestly don't think there's any Wii U game that wouldn't do better on 3DS. It'd mean compromising the vision a whole lot but even Wonderful 101, X and Bayo 2 would do better on 3DS. I'd probably say that even if Wii U was relatively healthy.

I meant higher sales than what new Zelda titles sell on console. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I think a Wind Waker on 3DS could outsell Skyward Sword, and maybe even Twilight Princess. OoT 3D already outsold Skyward Sword, and that's a touched up version of a N64 game. The handheld touch control Zelda which people looooooove to haaaate also sell far more than what console Zelda do in Japan. It's a pretty clear demographic shift for the brand.

Scum

I meant higher sales than what new Zelda titles sell on console. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I think a Wind Waker on 3DS could outsell Skyward Sword, and maybe even Twilight Princess. OoT 3D already outsold Skyward Sword, and that's a touched up version of a N64 game. The handheld touch control Zelda which people looooooove to haaaate also sell far more than what console Zelda do in Japan. It's a pretty clear demographic shift for the brand.

Replace Zelda on console with X.
Move Zelda to handheld.

Oregano

Oh yeah that's makes sense. Is OOT as revered in Japan as the west though? It's not just a Zelda game; it's the Zelda game. It's an interesting trend as well because the handheld Zeldas don't have anywhere close to the production values of the console entries. Console Zelda is probably the only AAA game Nintendo makes.

BlackJace

duckroll is right about the Zelda console decline. I can see 100k+ for WWHD, but I'm more interested in how that might translate into the new mainline entry's potential.

Glass Rebel

I think OoT3D might have outsold TP as well. MC had it at 558'496 in their 2012 Top 500 list

Scum

duckroll is right about the Zelda console decline. I can see 100k+ for WWHD, but I'm more interested in how that might translate into the new mainline entry's potential.

With WW remake and A Link Between Worlds, I'm just glad to see the Zelda team move away from their Ocarina-itis. Next mainline Zelda should be a WiiU/3DS combo ala Smash Bros.

BlackJace

With WW remake and A Link Between Worlds, I'm just glad to see the Zelda team move away from their Ocarina-itis. Next mainline Zelda should be a WiiU/3DS combo ala Smash Bros.

The more I look at the new Smash, the more I think it's a mistake for it to be on 3DS, at least day and date with the Wii U version. It's going to look way more attractive for the multitude of 3DS owners to spring for it, rather than the few Wii U owners to.

I'd wager the same would happen with a platform combo with Zelda.

The Wii U needs all the games it can get for itself, the thing is practically nonexistent.

Foshy

The more I look at the new Smash, the more I think it's a mistake for it to be on 3DS, at least day and date with the Wii U version. It's going to look way more attractive for the multitude of 3DS owners to spring for it, rather than the few Wii U owners to.
I own both a Wii U and a 3DS and feel more attracted to the 3DS version, myself. Really a bad decision from their part.

Scum

The Wii U needs all the games it can get for itself, the thing is practically nonexistent.

Hmmm... I see what you mean. But I still think it'll be a success on both hardware. NCL's problem with games for the WiiU in my eyes is their crap arse schedule they have for previewing them. 12 days before launch is not good enough.
Miiverse Communities should be up by now for any game announced. Spread the word now or else...

DGRE

Banned

Agreed. Timed exclusive with Wii U version releasing a few months ahead is the only way it will be helpful for Wii U.

disco

Agreed. Timed exclusive with Wii U version releasing a few months ahead is the only way it will be helpful for Wii U.

This. Handheld Smash could be huge. I think they only brought it to the 3DS as well as the Wii U in order to take the franchise in a new direction. It's difficult to innovate a SSB game...

The three Wii U owners who want to play FE and SMT but don't want a 3DS will lose their shit.

We know how this was conceived from some interviews. That doesn't change the fact that it's baffling how they came to the conclusion that this would have any meaningful impact on the Wii U. They already said that a Fire Emblem game on Wii U would have to sell 700k units to be worth the effort. It just sounds like someone thought "this would be neat" with no regards for sales potential or what the console needs.

Who says they thought this game would have a huge impact on Wii U? IntSys just likes making Fire Emblem games lol.

Well it just seems like WW is the only game that can pass 100k for months (god that's sad) so it could reach at least 150-175k. If it doesn't even reach 100k that would be terrible. This is clearly positioned as one of Nintendo's big fall titles. Nintendo better get Dk out in japan this year

Top Bottom