• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2011 (Sep 05 - Sep 11)

C_H_T

Graphics Horse said:
Somehow I missed this :lol
It's hard to tell how things went with only one new entry and games like Resistance dropping out.

It's the 1st game of Nintendo's Holiday line-up in Japan:

Dragon Quest Collection - Sept 15, 2011
Just Dance - October 13, 2011
Go Vacation - October 20, 2011
Kirby Wii - October 27, 2011
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - November 23, 2011
Taiko Drum Master Wii Ketteiban - November 23, 2011
Itadaki Street Wii - December 1, 2011
Mario & Sonic at the London Olympics - December 8, 2011
PokePark 2 - Late December 2011

Did something change in Famitsu's schedule/location for web posting of data? I've just noticed the things I have set up to automatically grab the new ones each week didn't get Famitsu's pages for the week starting August 29, and trying the link that should always take one to the latest Top 30, it just takes me to the same URL that were used for the previous week's, with the "expired data" message.

Kenka

JoshuaJSlone said:
Did something change in Famitsu's schedule/location for web posting of data? I've just noticed the things I have set up to automatically grab the new ones each week didn't get Famitsu's pages for the week starting August 29, and trying the link that should always take one to the latest Top 30, it just takes me to the same URL that were used for the previous week's, with the "expired data" message.
Damn, hopefully not. I haven't been hyped for new sales charts since I don't know when. You will find the number, don't worry *repeats to himself*

C_H_T

http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20110921065/

3DS 58,837
PS3 36,061
PSP 25,122
Wii 15,406
DSi LL 2,869
DSi 2,234
PS2 1,317
Xbox 360 1,295
DS Lite 78
PSP go 7

1. [WII] Dragon Quest Collection - 263,398
2. [PS3] Tales of Xillia 47,297
3. [PS3] Resident Evil: Survival Selection 17,614
4. [WII] Wii Sports: Resort 15,109
5. [WII] Rhythm Heaven 14,647
6. [PS3] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Ver. 13,230
7. [DS] Kirby Mass Attack 10,888
8. [3DS] Zelda: Ocarina of Time 10,504
9. [PSP] Grand Knights History 10,078
10. [PSP] Monster Hunter Diary: Pokapoka Felyne G 9,378

OK, using Google I find that the more recent top 30 is there--they just must've failed to make it forward correctly. Hopefully just a one-off thing rather than discontinuing that forward.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
thestopsign said:
Wait, why did the 3DS get a bump? Was it because of the announcements?

...If last week wasn't characterized by a particular Holiday...ruh roh.
WOW at DQ
A start almost like Super Mario's Collection. WOW

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Alextended said:
Why the increase for 3DS? No new games as far as I can see?

Holiday Lineup - so sooner or later many gamers will need one.

Did Xillia get another shipment they must be close to 100% sell thru.
Still they must have a fair amount of used copies by now if you want it .

Mpl90

OH MAN XILLIA DROP.
...And I, for one, welcome our new Comgnet overlord!

Futureman

It's kinda mindblowing to me that the 3DS is already at almost 2 million sold in Japan and the PS3 LTD is 7 million. Am I missing something there or not reading it right? 3DS has already sold ~25% of PS3 LTD in half a year?

0_O at DQ:C, didn't expect anything over 150K.

It's kinda mindblowing to me that the 3DS is already at almost 2 million sold in Japan and the PS3 LTD is 7 million. Am I missing something there or not reading it right? 3DS has already sold ~25% of PS3 LTD in half a year?
in terms of Nintendo's doing a shrewd business, yes; but in terms of why market responded that way, no.

PS3 average price has been a lot more than 3DS, so its total revenue is really much more than only 4 times the 3DS (although it made Sony lose money as well)

Kenka

OK, so this week numbers for 3DS are almost similar to the ones the NDS got during the same week in 2005 (58,837 as opposed to 62.641). By using the table given by Mpl90, we can foresee a similar sales pattern for 3DS for the next weeks up to the end of the year.
Since Week 52 in 2005 was crazugly, I assume the 3DS will sell, let's say, half of what the NDS sold back in the days that week. Sum all the numbers and you get cumulative sales of 1.900.000 units for the period.

The YTD would amount to 1.900.000 + 1.776.605 = 3.676.605

Not quite close to 4.000.000 if this week's numbers are any hint of what comes ahead.

Futureman said:

If it has a second year run like the DSLite it could overtake the Wii by the end of 2012.

Mpl90

Futureman said:

This is because PS3 did almost always HORRIBLY from its release to September 2009.
Then, Slim and FFXIII on Holiday changed lots of things.
Especially, they gave to PS3 sufficient weekly sales to have a good support...support that helped PS3 at doing good numbers.

C_H_T

Mpl90 said:
This is because PS3 did almost always HORRIBLY from its release to September 2009.
Then, Slim and FFXIII on Holiday changed lots of things.
Especially, they gave to PS3 sufficient weekly sales to have a good support...support that helped PS3 at doing good numbers.

Furthermore, portables are much more popular than home consoles nowaday.

Kenka said:
Since Week 52 in 2005 was crazugly, I assume the 3DS will sell, let's say, half of what the NDS sold back in the days that week. Sum all the numbers and you get cumulative sales of 1.900.000 units for the period.

The YTD would amount to 1.900.000 + 1.776.605 = 3.676.605

Not quite close to 4.000.000 if this week's numbers are any hint of what comes ahead.
3DS seems to have a wider variety of killer apps than DS did in late 2005, though, so I'm not sure "Like DS, except its big week only half as big" is a safe bet.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
OK, using Google I find that the more recent top 30 is there--they just must've failed to make it forward correctly. Hopefully just a one-off thing rather than discontinuing that forward.

Thanks! Still catching up on some older Famitsu data before going on to more recent stuff. :)

Mpl90 said:
...And I, for one, welcome our new Comgnet overlord!

Gah. Not this crap again. Comgnet is very accurate for what it tracks: it's own store sells. Extrapolating to the full Japanese market can be useful for a very general swipe at the sales, but not for specifics. We've been through this several times over the years. :/

Mpl90

donny2112 said:
Gah. Not this crap again. Comgnet is very accurate for what it tracks: it's own store sells. Extrapolating to the full Japanese market can be useful for a very general swipe at the sales, but not for specifics. We've been through this several times over the years. :/

And let me joke a bit, donny...COME ON!
...Even if there could be some criterias that we could follow to extrapolate something near to actual numbers :p

donny2112

Mpl90 said:
...Even if there could be some criterias that we could follow to extrapolate something near to actual numbers :p

I distinctly recall some attempts by Square2005 to do that. The markups were all over the place, which was a big reason showing why Comgnet wasn't an accurate extrapolator to the full market except in general terms.

Edit:
Just to be clear, the picture it paints is useful. As said, it's a decent indicator if something will sell "big" or not amongst the core crowd. Just be wary of pushing the numbers beyond their usefulness, as has been attempted off and on over the years.

Top Bottom