• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2015 (Aug 31 - Sep 06)

Square Enix just announced that they will be closing service for Final Fantasy 7 G-Bike on December 15th 2015.

Clearly the game did not perform well.

According to App Annie charts, this game never grossed much (right now it's at the 800th position or so).

Square Enix just announced that they will be closing service for Final Fantasy 7 G-Bike on December 15th 2015.

Clearly the game did not perform well.

Looking at the appannie page, G-bike was released less than a year ago (Oct 13, 2014)

These companies needs to be more careful with closing their games this fast, gonna make people more wary from spending in their future games.

duckroll

Looking at the appannie page, G-bike was released less than a year ago (Oct 13, 2014)

These companies needs to be more careful with closing their games this fast, gonna make people more wary from spending in their future games.

It's pretty normal for less successful services to close within a year. In terms of social mobile lifespan, a year is actually pretty long. For big publishers there are usually enough long term services that people actually care about which gives their brand enough visibility such that closing less successful stuff doesn't have a huge impact. The reality is that the space is so crowded with content that aside from the few disappointed fans, most people won't even notice that unpopular stuff are gone. Just think of it as TV programs which get canned after a single season.

ZhugeEX

Banned
It's pretty normal for less successful services to close within a year. In terms of social mobile lifespan, a year is actually pretty long. For big publishers there are usually enough long term services that people actually care about which gives their brand enough visibility such that closing less successful stuff doesn't have a huge impact. The reality is that the space is so crowded with content that aside from the few disappointed fans, most people won't even notice that unpopular stuff are gone. Just think of it as TV programs which get canned after a single season.

Yup, good post here.

No one will really take much notice of this.

It is also worth noticing that a F2P might have plenty of downloads over time (so many users) but a low total gross because people don't spend much money on it (e.g. the monetization technique is faulty or too generous). It is also worrying that on mobile niche products cannot survive unless they provide a constant stream of revenues (i.e. it might not be enough to earn money in the first month, let's say).

Ryng_tolu

Banned
MGSV's total points on Comg is 192. If the second week drop is 85% like the previous game, then it would be roughly 62,000. I guess we can expect both Mario Maker and Airou DX to be close to this number too.

Mario Maker will sell more than double...

L~A

The 3DS should be fine with whatever comes out.

The system is only down 12% year over year and there should be enough random bundles and games to keep it at a decent number for the one remaining year where it's their newest handheld.

Unless you mean the West, then that's a lost cause, but I think it's a bit moot since their brand reboot is going to either work or not work regardless.

Don't forget the possibility of a price drop for the 3DS. I'd say one in late february/march is a possibility.

I also expect the next handheld to be priced more or less at the same level as the N3DS (the bundles with the AC Adapter). That is, if they learned anything about the 3DS launch. Which is why I expect a price drop in early 2016, maybe even WW.

And regarding your previous posts about games in 2016, I did notice too how pretty much all 3DS games (not just Nintendo's) seem to be for Q1-2 2016. The "furthest" we have is YW3 (July, most likely), and DQ11 (August, most likely).

Of course, there's also the fact that most 3DS games aren't enough so far ahead of their release unless they're really major games, but it really does seem like something is up.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Don't forget the possibility of a price drop for the 3DS. I'd say one in late february/march is a possibility.

I also expect the next handheld to be priced more or less at the same level as the N3DS (the bundles with the AC Adapter). That is, if they learned anything about the 3DS launch. Which is why I expect a price drop in early 2016, maybe even WW.

And regarding your previous posts about games in 2016, I did notice too how pretty much all 3DS games (not just Nintendo's) seem to be for Q1-2 2016. The "furthest" we have is YW3 (July, most likely), and DQ11 (August, most likely).

Of course, there's also the fact that most 3DS games aren't enough so far ahead of their release unless they're really major games, but it really does seem like something is up.

could the price drop happen alongside the Japanese launch of the 2DS? Or Japan will never see that version?

Last year, at this time, the situation was pretty similar - we didn't know about many of the top-selling 2015 games, such as Majora's Mask 3D, Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer, Yo-kai Watch Busters, Monster Hunter X.

The most worrying thing is the lack of relevant Nintendo releases for the holiday season - Triforce Heroes is not going to sell much, and it'd be the first time 3DS is not covered for December (2011 had Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D Land; 2012 had Animal Crossing and Paper Mario; 2013 had Pokémon X/Y and a Link Between Worlds; 2014 had Pokémon ORAS).

L~A

could the price drop happen alongside the Japanese launch of the 2DS? Or Japan will never see that version?

I don't see the 2DS launching in Japan at all. The 3DS is basically fulfilling the same role (cheap 3DS model). Also launching a new models several months after a new handheld doesn't seem like a good idea.

Besides, the 2DS has always been presented as a model made with western markets in mind. It wouldn't be the first time a console model launched everywhere but in Japan (aka: Wii Mini)

Last year, at this time, the situation was pretty similar - we didn't know about many of the top-selling 2015 games, such as Majora's Mask 3D, Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer, Yo-kai Watch Busters, Monster Hunter X.

The most worrying thing is the lack of relevant Nintendo releases for the holiday season - Triforce Heroes is not going to sell much, and it'd be the first time 3DS is not covered for December (2011 had Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D Land; 2012 had Animal Crossing and Paper Mario; 2013 had Pokémon X/Y and a Link Between Worlds; 2014 had Pokémon ORAS).

Last year didn't have a new handheld launching the following year.

Agreed on the holiday line-up, a bit light on Nintendo's front. Well, AC: Happy Home Designer should keep on selling, though, at least.

Last year didn't have a new handheld launching the following year.

Agreed on the holiday line-up, a bit light on Nintendo's front. Well, AC: Happy Home Designer should keep on selling, though, at least.

Well, a new handheld is not launching in the first half of the year, and it is probably slated for November / December, so Nintendo should have some relevant games for 3DS next year.

Mario & Luigi RPG x Paper Mario Mix is set for this year 2015 in Japan (probably holiday season)

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/event/e3_2015/sp/lineup/mario_luigi/index.html

Edit: lol and Metroid too
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/event/e3_2015/sp/lineup/metroid/index.html

Thanks! Not a huge game, but Paper Mario sold 500k+ and Mario & Luigi sold 400k+ so the game should make bank over the holidays.

L~A

Mario & Luigi RPG x Paper Mario Mix is set for this year 2015 in Japan (probably holiday season)

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/event/e3_2015/sp/lineup/mario_luigi/index.html

Edit: lol and Metroid too
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/event/e3_2015/sp/lineup/metroid/index.html

Edit again: Mario & Luigi RPG is 2015,
Metroid is 2016 according to this (page 5)

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2015/150729_2e.pdf

Hmm? The first link for Metroid Prime says 2016年, not 2015.

Also, keep forgetting Mario & Luigi is out this year... seems unreal, considering they haven't revealed anything since E3.

crinale

What was the first day sell-through? One might expect this type of game selling well across time. Btw, isn't DX the deluxe edition of AiruVille already available on PSP?

According to the guy it was last week's Rabbits (for the first day only of course).

According to the guy it was last week's Rabbits (for the first day only of course).

Ok. Perhaps it sold well during the weekend, then? On Amazon the game is at full price + lower than usual discount, and also third party sellers are offering the list price. Also, stock seems low.

NGB : Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland ( Enix ) { 1998-09-25 } - 333,114 / 1,911,107

I'm guessing this is the best selling spinoff in Japan? (if don't count stuff like Mario Kart)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's going to be down a lot more than 12% after we hit the point where New 3DS launched last year.

While likely, I feel it's held well enough that it's unlikely to have a catastrophic drop in its final years.

Basically they just want to do well enough to avoid shaking the confidence of their supporters while their next-gen games are still early.

mao2

NGB : Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland ( Enix ) { 1998-09-25 } - 333,114 / 1,911,107

I'm guessing this is the best selling spinoff in Japan? (if don't count stuff like Mario Kart)
What about Monster Hunter Portable 3rd? Can it be considered a spin-off?

Haven't played it so maybe it works better in reality than in theory, but this seems such a bizarre idea. Monster Strike x DanganRonpa, seriously?

Not too surprised to see it closing.
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Monstrike clone is still doing okay, but it's a bigger IP than Dangan Ronpa.
1aLXrM1.jpg

duckroll

What is a spin off anyway? Like, for the purpose of statistical analysis on the basis of sales success, what definition would serve a useful purpose? if we're looking at brand power which can be leveraged on titles developed and released along with a main series, then Super Mario Land, Doctor Mario, Mario Party, Mario Kart, and Smash Brothers would all count. All of those have entries which sold more than the first DQM.

Haven't played it so maybe it works better in reality than in theory, but this seems such a bizarre idea. Monster Strike x DanganRonpa, seriously?

Not too surprised to see it closing.

It was ok, not as polished as Monster Strike though.

I'm guessing it makes sense they weren't going to do much with it if they didn't bother adding characters from Another Episode when that came out.

Didn't know there was a JoJo Monster Strike clone though, lol

It was ok, not as polished as Monster Strike though.

I'm guessing it makes sense they weren't going to do much with it if they didn't bother adding characters from Another Episode when that came out.

Didn't know there was a JoJo Monster Strike clone though, lol

I thought with DanganRonpa being heavily narrative focused, the crossover didn't really make much sense

Though, now I know there's a JoJo clone, maybe the idea is just that you put recognizable characters in with flavor-of-the-month gameplay and hope for the best?

It's a shame it flopped. I like Spike Chunsoft. Their output is scattergun crazy and yet I really enjoy it.

Vena

I love how everything this gen is user rated at 3.5/5 on Amazon Japan (consoles, handhelds have faired better) with meaningful rating sample pools. Its so consistent.

So far only a small handful of games have escaped this fate.

bluedawgs

Banned
I wonder how Horizon is going to do in Japan. Since The Witcher 3 sold over 150k (including digital), I think Horizon should do similar numbers.

Also, since Sony never made a JRPG that sold that well, I'm not sure how well Sony's new JRPG will sell. I'm hopeful for at least 300k though, whatever this "big budget JRPG" will be.

I wonder how Horizon is going to do in Japan. Since The Witcher 3 sold over 150k (including digital), I think Horizon should do similar numbers.

Also, since Sony never made a JRPG that sold that well, I'm not sure how well Sony's new JRPG will sell. I'm hopeful for at least 300k though, whatever this "big budget JRPG" will be.

White Knight Chronicles broke 300k. I would imagine that is the best comparison.

White Knight Chronicles broke 300k. I would imagine that is the best comparison.

PS1 Arc the Lad II 316,225 / 816,873
PS1 Arc the Lad ??? / 497,253
PS1 PoPoLoCrois Monogatari 113,494 / 432,752
PS1 Wild Arms 116,393 / 415,138
PS2 Rogue Galaxy 213,289 / 385,649
PS1 Arc the Lad III 209,088 / 379,040
PS3 White Knight Chronicles 203,033 / 365,220
PS1 The Legend of Dragoon 160,609 / 355,240
PS3 Demon's Souls 36,794 / 314,816
PS1 Legend of Legaia 139,844 / 314,493

I think saying they never had a JRPG that sold well... isn't correct (I know it's the guy you quoted, not you saying that, I just latched on to the most recent post).

They don't seem to have bothered much outside of the PS1 era though, so yeah, WKC is probably the best comparison at this point.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I wanna guess this week:

[3DS] 32,000
[PS4] 22,000
[WIU] 18,000
[PSV] 12,000

[WIU] Mario Maker: 140,000
[PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: 55,000
[PS3] Metal Gear Solid V: 30,000

Not in my book but I'm not going to fight people who thinks it's a spin off. It plays exactly like other MH games.

even yoshi island plays like super mario world but it's a spin-off

but of course MHP can't be considered a spin-off, it's just a portable version, like Mario Kart and Mario Kart DS, Snake Eater and Peace Walker

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
No dates yet for Star Fox Zero & Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival in JP yet, but here's the updated Wii U release schedule.

11/05
LEGO Jurassic World
11/12
Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition
11/18
Monster Hunter Frontier G9 (Premium Package)
11/19
Ginsei Shogi: Kyoutendo Toufuu Raijin
Puyo Puyo Tetris (Special Price)
11/26
Taiko no Tatsujin: Atsumete Tomodachi Daisakusen!
12/5
Youkai Watch: Just Dance
12/26
Genei Ibunroku #FE
01/26
LEGO Marvel's Avengers

Top Bottom