• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2015 (Aug 31 - Sep 06)

Xbro

Reading the SCEJA conference thread, 2016 seems like when we can expect (if it comes to be) a meaningful PS4 MH announcement (so not MHFO2). That'd put release sometime 2017, and I expect it to be the first multiplat MH if it is mainline and not a spin-off like MHX.

2016 announcement coincides with the MH5 expectations for NX, so this is looking like NX/PS4. I think this also gives reason to expect early MH remasters of some sort on the NX though I'm surprised by the lack of word on such for PS4 if my above supposition is true (though not an issue if NX remasters/upgrades don't exist at all).

Of course, take with a grain of salt as per usual as confirmations are obviously well over a year away and things can change.
I seem to recall Verendus saying earlier that MH will come to PS4, but people shouldn't expect too much effort to go into it. Doesn't sound like a mainline entry.

Do you think we can expect a Mario Maker 3DS version announced at the next E3? By that time the game will do whatever it could on the Wii U, with the substantial increase in user base nintendo could squeeze some extra 100k sales. Most likely a wise choice considering the Japanese market.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Do you think we can expect a Mario Maker 3DS version announced at the next E3? By that time the game will do whatever it could on the Wii U, with the substantial increase in user base nintendo could squeeze some extra 100k sales. Most likely a wise choice considering the Japanese market.

I'd expect a Mario Maker expansion/sequel on NX to be completely honest, if it is the handheld successor. The touchscreen on the 3DS is far too small to do Mario Maker justice imo.

I'd expect a Mario Maker expansion/sequel on NX to be completely honest, if it is the handheld successor. The touchscreen on the 3DS is far too small to do Mario Maker justice imo.
You can expect sequels/ports of whatever got decent sales on NX that's a given and not really interesting to talk about.

i didn't stop to think about potential issues with screen size, after all there are plenty of 3DS games that use the touch screen for user created content.

In my very naive view it seemed like a good match for the device given the interface and relatively low hardware level needed to render the game.

I seem to recall Verendus saying earlier that MH will come to PS4, but people shouldn't expect too much effort to go into it. Doesn't sound like a mainline entry.

There are two announcements. One sounds significant. One doesn't. I imagine it's probably Monster Hunter Frontier and then some multiplatform release.

Jigorath

Banned
MH will likely be multiplat NX/PC/PS4 in a couple years. It's (finally) growing more popular in the West so why not expand the franchise? The only hurdle is cross platform play but Square has managed to convince Sony/Nintendo to allow it with DQX so I don't see why Capcom wouldn't be able to.

Of course Nintendo could always just pay a bunch of money to keep it exclusive so idk.

horuhe

Well, I don't think Nintendo would do that. Yeah, 3DS has a potential userbase for the game, but is not gonna happen, imo.

What I really would like to see is the Maker brand to be the more expandable in terms of IP usage. I mean, every kind of Nintendo IP being Maker, and of course on NX.

crinale

The origin of MH is that Capcom wanted to their monthly subscription game. It didn't hit million copies until they made MHP.
Upon MHP's announcement it was treated as the quick cash-in (from Japanese gamers obviously), however there was a heavy backlash from MH2's balancing issues and people found it MHP more appealing. From that moment they had to change the original plan, to make MH the portable game without monthly subscription fee. (They continued the original plan with MHF series). At MH3G they had to put mainline series to handheld, and MH4 they had to support network servers without subscription fees.
I've read the rumor that server fee issue is one of the reasons Capcom had to jump ship because they wanted Sony to pay for servers but Sony rather let them go than support servers for the thing at Western market

It's quite interesting where they want to go from now. At least for MHX they're still offering free online co-op, but I'm not sure how long that would last..

Vena

There are two announcements. One sounds significant. One doesn't. I imagine it's probably Monster Hunter Frontier and then some multiplatform release.

IIRC, both were originally billed as "not that big" with one being, obviously, MHFO2.

Good thing I remember where these things are said, lol:

Monster Hunter PS4, I think I was caught by Chobel in January when I posted it, and edited it. But it's been leaked from the looks of it anyway. That's your upcoming MH PS4 game. However, it's not the only one. SCEJ/A has been discussing with Capcom about bringing more Monster Hunter to PS4 for a while, and for the most part, the only thing I can say is things are looking pretty good on that front. Please be excited. Although, check your expectations a little if you're expecting some massive effort. We're just fitting in what exists, rather than trying to create something new.

crinale

Media create says MGS5's sell through is 92%, impressive.

Mario Maker seems to have a rather low first day sell-through of 20-30%.

He also said bundle isn't moving "at all". Also abysmal result for Feline thing so far.
Poor From Software

Where are you two getting this? hiska has a far more positive report before:

The usual guy with access to Media Create data.

Yeah where did you get that? I trust Hiska more.

That is the place where he refers first day sell through every week...

According to retailers blogs, regarding first day sales, both Mario Maker and Monster Hunter Diary sold better than expected. Almost half of the shipment sold, and that's high for these kind of long seller games.

IIRC, both were originally billed as "not that big" with one being, obviously, MHFO2.

Good thing I remember where these things are said, lol:

Aye, I remember as well. Like I say, I expect one to be Monster Hunter Frontier and the other one a multiplatform game. Probably a remaster or port of MHX or something. Nothing exclusive like Monster Hunter 5 lol but something significant enough to raise some eyebrows and sell a couple hundred thousand copies.

mao2

He also said bundle isn't moving "at all". Also abysmal result for Feline thing so far.
Ah, I didn't understand what he meant by "山のフドウ" and "画伯".

The same blog where hiska-kun gets the first day sell-through numbers.
http://orenoweb4th.blog.jp/archives/1039714213.html

crinale

Ah, I didn't understand what he meant by "山のフドウ" and "画伯".

The same blog where hiska-kun gets the first day sell-through numbers.
http://orenoweb4th.blog.jp/archives/1039714213.html

The guy in the picture is Fudoh the Mountain, from Fist of the North star. However what he is referring to is Japan's old saying "immobilized like the mountain" (Fudoh means something never moves) where you refer to something that doesn't move a needle regardless of the effort.

Mario Maker will move on the weekends, this isn't a hardcore title for FDST.

Well the guy is expecting it to have legs (I doubt if there's anyone in retail channel who isn't believing it) so no need to worry about it IMHO.
I'm not so sure about Feline thing though

mao2

Mario Maker will move on the weekends, this isn't a hardcore title for FDST.
Yeah, it should continue to sell for a long period of time like other Mario titles.

The guy in the picture is Fudoh the Mountain, from Fist of the North star. However what he is referring to is Japan's old saying "immobilized like the mountain" (Fudoh means something never moves) where you refer to something that doesn't move a needle regardless of the effort.
I see, thanks for the info!

hiska-kun

Media Create Sell-through

01./00. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain # <ADV> (Konami) {2015.09.02} (¥9.072) - 293.652 / NEW <92,00%> [Units shipped => 319.187]
02./00. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain # <ADV> (Konami) {2015.09.02} (¥9.072) - 117.547 / NEW <69,86%> [Units shipped => 168.261]

Bundle Sales (included in Software and Hardware numbers)

00./00. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PlayStation 4 Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - The Phantom Pain Edition) <ADV> (Konami) {2015.09.02} (¥53.978) - 27.000 / NEW

MediaCreate is pointing that MGS PS4 digital sales are very high, probably the best opening ever for a PS4 game.

The first report came from this retailer (44% sell-through for SMM and 48% for MHD), but this is just a single store.

http://gekicore-gamelife.com/ranking/11512.html

What posted mao2 is the usual blog, nationwide.

ZhugeEX

Banned
So 490,000 physical units sold in first week in Japan.
Should see physical reach 800k hopefully. Wonder just how good digital was.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
What exactly is it up against in the 16-20 range anyway?

Well, we know at least how much Xenoblade Chronicles X sold between April 20th to May 24th (eShop only, download cards not included, Famitsu) - 22,805. And it's 18th.

If SMM goes beyond that, it means that it sold more than 22,805 copies digitally anyway.

So 490,000 physical units sold in first week in Japan.
Should see physical reach 800k hopefully. Wonder just how good digital was.
I think BB opened at <20k for its debut month digitally? So it should be higher than that for sure.

Kind of makes the first page of the thread hilarious in retrospect regarding how people were trying to downplay this debut. The sales of the series are consistent despite a huge gap in mainline releases. MGS IV to V was a long wait for sure.

Vena

I think BB opened at <20k for its debut month digitally? So it should be higher than that for sure.

Kind of makes the first page of the thread hilarious in retrospect regarding how people were trying to downplay this debut. The sales of the series are consistent despite a huge gap in mainline releases. MGS IV to V was a long wait for sure.

We must be looking at different threads or potentially exist in different realities, the first page and most pages herein are simply about expectations and the shown consistency of the sales of the series.

After all my initial suspects about SMM debut werent all that out of place. Sadly

Mario has never been front loaded, and its never going to be front loaded on the WiiU of all things irregardless of how many tentacles it acquires.

hiska-kun

Vena

I don't know why, but titles like Bayonetta 2 and Fatal Frame 5 were launched on Saturday as well.

I'm more surprised by how late into December it is...

IIRC Nintendo games sometimes get released on Saturdays.

BTW no Nintendo Directs any more?

Not for a while should be expected, Iwata only recently passed and it'd be somber not celebratory to bring it out now.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
We must be looking at different threads or potentially exist in different realities, the first page and most pages herein are simply about expectations and the shown consistency of the sales of the series.

Mario has never been front loaded, and its never going to be front loaded on the WiiU of all things irregardless of how many tentacles it acquires.

Early reports were more positive now I am depressed.
It is not being frontloaded but selling and moving hw
Plus if everything the wii u situation should hurt more its legs than the debut.
Disappointed

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
IIRC Nintendo games sometimes get released on Saturdays.

BTW no Nintendo Directs any more?

There was a recent NOA's hiring list where Nintendo Direct was mentioned, and we just got a Treehouse Super Mario Maker's live stream (Treehouse didn't do one since June), so I suppose they will be back. But I don't know when.

Bloodborne was >42k debut month.
Metal Gear is probably >50k
Wasn't it the LTD for digital sales? Considering the game opened at the end of March, I don't think it had such high digital sales. I think you are confusing them with LTD.

There weren't that many posters, sure. But still, I saw a couple who were trying to state that the opening was not good compared to the rest of the series.

As an example:

So MGS5 sells less on 2 platforms than MGS4 on 1.
That's lower than expected for MGSV.

Just two of the posts from the first page.

FluxWaveZ

Edit: Ah wait, nvm.

Curious how well Genei Ibun Roku is going to do. The Fire Emblem connection isn't overt, but it seems like it could do well on the platform. Then again, there might be a weird conflict if Persona 5 is released around that time.

crinale

Edit: Ah wait, nvm.

Curious how well Genei Ibun Roku is going to do. The Fire Emblem connection isn't overt, but it seems like it could do well on the platform. Then again, there might be a weird conflict if Persona 5 is released around that time.

For one thing they are both developed by Atlus so they'd want to space out release dates. On the other hand one is published by Sega and another is by Nintendo, to different platforms. It'll be interesting to see how they will decide.

FluxWaveZ

For one thing they are both developed by Atlus so they'd want to space out release dates. On the other hand one is published by Sega and another is by Nintendo, to different platforms. It'll be interesting to see how they will decide.

I imagine it's the publisher and not the developer that matters here, as you mention. If #FE releases near P5, I can't see it not being a negative for that game, despite the platform differences. Wonder if both companies would have talked it out or something.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
After all my initial suspects about SMM debut werent all that out of place. Sadly

Plus if everything the wii u situation should hurt more its legs than the debut.
Disappointed

I'm pretty sure another game you were disappointed from its opening was Splatoon.

Orgen

Disappointed

Man, you always do the same and most of the time you're wrong (or are dissapointed by banal things).

Most Nintendo games have low sellthrough the first day and sell more on the weekends besides is going to be in the de-facto bundle for at least a year (like Mario Kart) so even if it didn't reach 1M LTD I'm pretty confident it can reach 700.000 LTD at least. And LTD is the number that matters, not First Week (like Super Mario 3D World or the most exaggerated example: Yokai Watch).

And wait for the numbers next week, my god!!!! ;P

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm pretty sure another game you were disappointed from its opening was Splatoon.

Man, you always do the same and most of the time you're wrong (or are dissapointed by banal things).

Most Nintendo games have low sellthrough the first day and sell more on the weekends besides is going to be in the de-facto bundle for at least a year (like Mario Kart) so even if it didn't reach 1M LTD I'm pretty confident it can reach 700.000 LTD at least. And LTD is the number that matters, not First Week (like Super Mario 3D World or the most exaggerated example: Yokai Watch).

And wait for the numbers next week, my god!!!! ;P

mario_sad_3_by_princesspuccadominyo-d8znj6e.jpg

Orgen

94a63a78f6b75f56b773b4cd7cce658e.jpg

Anyway what numbers are we expecting for FExSMT (I don't know the new name sorry) in Japan? I saw that there's even a new
and expensive
bundle. Fire Emblem is on the rise and SMT is also in good shape but seeing that the game doesn't resemble any of them... I don't know.

PS: It seems that Yokai is beating Animal Crossing... I'm pretty jinxed hahaha

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So what's the Japanese release slate for the Wii U now? This is what I have

Yesterday (9/10) - Super Mario Maker

11/05 - LEGO Jurassic World
11/12 - Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition
11/18 - Monster Hunter Frontier G9 (Premium Package)
11/19 - Ginsei Shogi: Kyoutendo Toufuu Raijin
Puyo Puyo Tetris (Special Price)
11/26 - Taiko no Tatsujin: Atsumete Tomodachi Daisakusen!
12/26 - Genei Ibunroku #FE

No dates for Star Fox, Mario Tennis or Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival for Japan yet though =/.

The dramatics... Will you guys ever learn?

Sure, Mario Maker is not going to sell a lot, it's on Wii U, but it's not going to bomb either. Calm down.

Media Create Sell-through

01./00. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain # <ADV> (Konami) {2015.09.02} (¥9.072) - 293.652 / NEW <92,00%> [Units shipped => 319.187]
02./00. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain # <ADV> (Konami) {2015.09.02} (¥9.072) - 117.547 / NEW <69,86%> [Units shipped => 168.261]

Bundle Sales (included in Software and Hardware numbers)

00./00. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PlayStation 4 Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - The Phantom Pain Edition) <ADV> (Konami) {2015.09.02} (¥53.978) - 27.000 / NEW

MediaCreate is pointing that MGS PS4 digital sales are very high, probably the best opening ever for a PS4 game.

The first report came from this retailer (44% sell-through for SMM and 48% for MHD), but this is just a single store.

http://gekicore-gamelife.com/ranking/11512.html

What posted mao2 is the usual blog, nationwide.

500k+ MGSV FW possible?

Top Bottom