• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2011 (Sep 12 - Sep 18)

Kenka

Mpl90 said:
Fixed.
And also 42/50 :lol :lol :lol
About the thread...maybe I could do it...I have to see if I can open it today...

Yeah please do so, I suck at searching for those legendary threads. Among others, I really want to find again that "Top 10 DS only" thread. Man oh man, what a thread that was :eek:

Oh, and from your link:

NDS - 36
WII - 6
PS2 - 4
PSP - 4

:lol :lol :lol

Acosta

duckroll said:
That's rather unfair to a lot of the regular people who post in these threads. What exactly is "old sales-age" exactly? It's really the same group of people. Sometimes we post more, sometimes we post less.

Even in the old days, there would be months of down time where there isn't much informative discussion or real debates about the industry or sales trends. Why? Because there's nothing happening, or the releases are boring/predictable, or there are no worthwhile comparisons to be made.

There are a lot of interesting releases coming out in the next few months, and I think that we'll have a lot of room for solid discussions which will drown out the drive-by "fuck yeah" posters. But if there isn't much to talk about, it can't be helped really.

And when I think "old" I mean "old", back in PS2 times, where everything was pretty much established and the discussion were mostly about games themselves, with no console fanboism fueling the discussion. That is how I remember at least, feel free to correct me. And there is the problem that, just because some people live in permanent console wars state, if you make a point trying to defend something that goes against the path of conquest of their favourite companies, you are pretty much "the enemy", and get attacked and discredited.

That has been my personal impression the last few times I have tried to get into a debate.

And for the regulars I miss DCharlie for example, he used to be more active some years ago.

Acosta said:
And when I think "old" I mean "old", back in PS2 times, where everything was pretty much established and the discussion were mostly about games themselves, with no console fanboism fueling the discussion. That is how I remember at least, feel free to correct me. And there is the problem that, just because some people live in permanent console wars state, if you make a point trying to defend something that goes against the path of conquest of their favourite companies, you are pretty much "the enemy", and get attacked and discredited.

That has been my personal impression the last few times I have tried to get into a debate.

And for the regulars I miss DCharlie for example, he used to be more active some years ago.
Not really, many regular members actively speak out against their favorite console manufacturer, the only difference between them and the people who get attacked and discredited is the level of insanity. It's pretty much like everywhere else, if you say stupid shit, you're gonna get called out, regardless of your personal feelings. Nothing has really changed.

Oh and I'm pretty sure I seen DCharlie post recently. I miss the Pacman charts, so that automatically means I miss the Cheesemeister.

Acosta

BishopLamont said:
Not really, many regular members actively speak out against their favorite console manufacturer, the only difference between them and the people who get attacked and discredited is the level of insanity. It's pretty much like everywhere else, if you say stupid shit, you're gonna get called out, regardless of your personal feelings. Nothing has really changed.

Oh and I'm pretty sure I seen DCharlie post recently. I miss the Pacman charts, so that automatically means I miss the Cheesemeister.

Define "stupid shit".

Cheesemeister charts were fun indeed.

Acosta said:
Define "stupid shit".
Things that are against the majority or common sense, sometimes those special posters might get it right, but 90% of the time the regular sale-agers are right. Its exactly why there aren't that many active posters.

You should know this, I'm not sure why you're even asking.

I tried to keep things lively. =P
Incidentally, haven't the numbers been going live in the evenings Japan Time lately?

I'm looking forward to Senran Kagura numbers and watching the price.

Cheesemeister said:
Incidentally, haven't the numbers been going live in the evenings Japan Time lately?

Oh hello thar. =D

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Cheesemeister said:

HOLY SH*T TIME MACHINE WORKS!

BishopLamont said:
That's because sales are boring when Nintendo is "struggling", fanboys from all sides will agree to that.

If I could change one thing with Sales age is that it seems to mainly focus on the top 5 or things that people from the west would find odd, instead of interesting sub-trends / niches in sales.

Subjects like
- Why has Bandai Namco become the no.1 third party publisher, discussion of their sales strategy?
-The surprising stabilization and growth of Otome game sales?
-The power of the anime effect when does it work, when doesn't it?
-Is there an suspense adventure game revival or is the stien's gate's effect due to the anime?(Dunamis's sales suggest the later)
-What is the breaking point for Musou game seemingly coming out every 2 weeks, yet still selling well.. etc etc
-Even topics like things that are popular on Nico Nico/the web world how does that transcribe to actual sales etc

Acosta

BishopLamont said:
Things that are against the majority or common sense, sometimes those special posters might get it right, but 90% of the time the regular sale-agers are right. Its exactly why there aren't that many active posters.

You should know this, I'm not sure why you're even asking.

Dunno, maybe you are right. Perhaps my perception is due to an increase of the aggresivity some posters show celebrating or defending their favourite companies.

Call it nostalgia glasses, but I feel sales age was more relaxed and joyful before Nintendo's rising and raging handheld war.

Hi Cheesemeister!

wrowa

Acosta said:

I can't help but think that your post is directed towards the fact that many GAF posters didn't share your opinion regarding MH3G... Which would make it less of a console wars matter than a case of displeasure that other people didn't agree to your opinion.

I don't think that Sales-Age is in any way more agressive or fanboy-ish than in the past. It's not as interesting as it was some years ago, which is partly due to some missing people, partly due to missing data (do you remember first day sales? Great times) and partly due to the lack of interesting events that could be discussed, but more fanboy-ish? There were always many people in sales threads that obviously favored one company. This isn't worse today than it was in the past.

Acosta said:
And when I think "old" I mean "old", back in PS2 times, where everything was pretty much established and the discussion were mostly about games themselves, .
The Wii and DS from 2005-2010 were undoubtedly dominating the market and everything was fairly established. I'm not getting the point.

There are consistent posters in Sales-age that discuss things just about every week. The thing also with Sales-Age is when things become status quo then sales-age threads die. PS2 level dominance was established and after awhile there wasn't much to say except when a game greatly exceeded or greatly underperformed expectations. When Wii/DS was dominating after awhile threads slowed down because there was nothing interesting to discuss unless the Wii/DS broke a record or the incredible legs some of the games had. When the 3DS launched it was exciting and then quickly became boring and slow because there wasn't much to say when it was consistently underperforming and there weren't that many games being released. Now with Nintendo anouncing major games and a price cut sales have started to become more interesting. With the holiday season approaching and Vita launching it will be fairly interesting to watch and see how the games/systems perform.

Mpl90

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
If I could change one thing with Sales age is that it seems to mainly focus on the top 5 or things that people from the west would find odd, instead of interesting sub-trends / niches in sales.

Subjects like
- Why has Bandai Namco become the no.1 third party publisher, discussion of their sales strategy?
-Is there an suspense adventure game revival or is the stien's gate's effect due to the anime?(Dunamis's sales suggest the later)
-What is the breaking point for Musou game seemingly coming out every 2 weeks, yet still selling well.. etc etc
-Even topics like things that are popular on Nico Nico/the web world how does that transcribe to actual sales etc

THIS.
This year's turnaround has been OUTSTANDING: it almost seems like they have changed quickly something, but in a Godly way: lots of games with commercial potential, support to platforms which deserves it...and in the right way

Acosta

wrowa said:
I can't help but think that your post is directed towards the fact that many GAF posters didn't share your opinion regarding MH3G... Which would make it less of a console wars matter than a case of displeasure that other people didn't agree to your opinion.

I don't think that Sales-Age is in any way more agressive or fanboy-ish than in the past. It's not as interesting as it was some years ago, which is partly due to some missing people, partly due to missing data (do you remember first day sales? Great times) and partly due to the lack of interesting events that could be discussed, but more fanboy-ish? There were always many people in sales threads that obviously favored one company. This isn't worth today than it was in the past.

Not really, I thought that debate was pretty civil, except for one or two guys. My small participation in Sales Age is hardly a basis to say what I say, I'm really unimportant. Just talking in general. Things got crazy in DS Vs PSP times and, frankly, I have no desire to seeing it again with 3DS Vs Vita.

Lord_Byron28 said:
The Wii and DS from 2005-2010 were undoubtedly dominating the market and everything was fairly established. I'm not getting the point.

Perhaps I found Japanese market much more interesting back then and that taint my memories.

I'm not trying to establish some factual truth here guys, just sharing my own viewpoint based on my memories and personal feelings and trying to rationalize it. If I am alone on this, so be it.

Tailzo

I always look at these threads, but rarely post in them. I even show off numbers that surprises me to my wife (poor girl, she is so nice that she even takes time to look and comment :).

I think I'm usually only lurking because I do not have anything interesting to say. Maybe I should reply more often. Let the others in the thread know that I'm really appreciating their work. After all, this is where I can get some sort of hint as to what is currently hot in Japan :) Thank you, all of you :)

Mpl90

Tailzo said:
I always look at these threads, but rarely post in them. I even show off numbers that surprises me to my wife (poor girl, she is so nice that she even takes time to look and comment :).

HOLY CRAP EVEN THE INTERDIMENSIONAL TRAVEL MACHINE WORKS!
A WORLD WHERE GIRLS TALK ABOUT GAMES IN THIS WAY, HERE I COME!

...We would be very happy to see you posting more often :D
And Cheesemesiter, you must be back at full force for this Holidays, at least.
Charts in 3D this time! :lol

Acosta

Cheesemeister said:
ハロー。

Yes, I'm posting in the Media Create thread. It must be 2008. I'm so two thousand and late.

Hello!

Perhaps I can do something that would give the thread some punch.

That would be great!

Mpl90 said:

What I really want to see are numbers comparing 3DS and Vita sales numbers in these two important demographics:

cyclops.jpg

Cheesemeister said:
What I really want to see are numbers comparing 3DS and Vita sales numbers in these two important demographics:

cyclops.jpg
that took me some good seconds to see what you did there :))
well, it shouldn't be a problem for Hentai fans, New Love Plus and Senran Kagura are both mostly 2D :))

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Because S-E has fallen into deep sleep. B-N is always among the top 3rd party publishers, if you combined Bandai with Namco before the merge they would be no. 1 again.
-What is the breaking point for Musou game seemingly coming out every 2 weeks, yet still selling well..
With the rate Musou games come out there will be saturation, it's not a matter of if but when. Maybe it will take some time but it will happen eventually.

Tailzo

Mpl90 said:
HOLY CRAP EVEN THE INTERDIMENSIONAL TRAVEL MACHINE WORKS!
A WORLD WHERE GIRLS TALK ABOUT GAMES IN THIS WAY, HERE I COME!

I showed her your post and she laughed :)

When the 3ds sales dropped after launch, I remember being surprised. But she just said "That's not surprising... It doesn't have any good games!". She's a better sales-age person than I am.

AlsoI love all the graphs comparing one sequel to the previous game. Makes me worry / not worry for the future of the series.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I still actively read these threads, but I don't post much anymore since they almost always come out as expected.

That and I end up doing 95%+ of my sales-age discussion on IRC these days.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

Subjects like
However, these are the kinds of discussions I like more, but it's usually very hard to keep them going in these threads.

Eteric Rice

Only thing I really think Namco Bandai needs to do is go multi-platform with it's franchises. No need for exclusivity these days.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Acosta said:
And when I think "old" I mean "old", back in PS2 times, where everything was pretty much established and the discussion were mostly about games themselves, with no console fanboism fueling the discussion.
From the point of cold numbers these years were the absolute disaster for sales-age.

There wasn't someone that was saving them and numerous important Media Create data have been lost.

Eteric Rice said:
Only thing I really think Namco Bandai needs to do is go multi-platform with it's franchises. No need for exclusivity these days.
They mostly do, with tales at least. Unless you mean on 360, which will be of no signifance as their games mostly sell in Japan. And we know multiplats between PSP/DS isn't going to be just a matter of simple porting.

Eteric Rice

walking fiend said:
They mostly do, with tales at least. Unless you mean on 360, which will be of no signifance as their games mostly sell in Japan. And we know multiplats between PSP/DS isn't going to be just a matter of simple porting.

True, but Tales of does have a small fanbase in the US. I'm actually surprised at how many people come into my store that love the tales of series.

I think that at least next generation, they should go multi-platform. At least in the states.

Eteric Rice said:
True, but Tales of does have a small fanbase in the US. I'm actually surprised at how many people come into my store that love the tales of series.

I think that at least next generation, they should go multi-platform. At least in the states.
It would be nice, but they won't do it. Sometimes they don't even bother with localization.

The problem with these games, is that they don't have a marketing backbone. J games that went famous were mostly on last generation, as there was a dominant J console, while not much games from western devs. Now, there's no such a thing outside of Nintendo DS and maybe Wii, which both are dominant internationally, while lack major western devs support, and the problem with Wii is that it isn't that much a favorable platform for these type of none-famous games that Nintendo hadn't care for, even in Japan.

So unless either PS4 or Wii U become major platform for both these games and international sale, I can't see them even becoming localized as punctually as, say, FF is. And only case of multiplat that I may imagine, is Next box becoming pretty popular in Japan, which I really doubt so.

Nirolak said:
I still actively read these threads, but I don't post much anymore since they almost always come out as expected.

Yup same here.

(followed by people going "who the hell are you" because I rarely post in these)

jesusraz

Chris1964 said:
What exactly is this desirable old sales-age and who are the real sales agers that have left the building? I would include only ethelred in this group, almost everyone else is here.
Ah, the days when ethelred was around to ensure that nobody won any arguments by replying incessantly until the other person backed down.

Good times!

Takao

Banned
Medabots is dead. PSP is dead. The Little Battlers eXperience is
almost
dead, and everything
especially the Vita
is basically dead too. So that's why I haven't really been posting much. Though I never really did post much outside of cheers for the PSPgo or something.

enishi

Kenka said:
Do we have a tracklist ? I want me some SuperJunior, SHINee and BIG BANG. :DD
By the way, awesome thread Mpl90 ! Where did you find the picture in the OP ?

Song List from Amazon.jp
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005KP44DY/sinobi-22/ref=nosim/

・ヘビーローテーション/AKB48
・VALENTI/BoA
・恋のダイヤル6700/Dream5
・Choo Choo TRAIN/EXILE
・WON'T BE LONG/EXILE & 倖田 來未
・Mickey (Hawaii version)/Gorie with Jasmine&Joann
・ミスター/KARA
・ジャンピン/KARA
・survival dAnce -no no cry more-/TRF
・Sexy Girl/安室 奈美恵
・One Night Carnival/氣志團
・君にBUMP/ケツメイシ
・キューティーハニー/倖田 來未
・Why? [Keep Your Head Down]/東方神起
・UFO/ピンク・レディー
・恋愛レボリューション21/モーニング娘。

・Katti Kalandal/Bollywood
・Rasputin/Boney M.
・Hot Stuff/Donna Summer
・Jump In The Line/Harry Belafonte
・U Can't Touch This/MC Hammer
・S.O.S./Rihanna
・Dagomba/Sorcerer
・Wannabe/Spice Girls
・Crazy In Love/Studio Musicians
・Toxic/The Hit Crew
・You Can't Hurry Love/The Supremes

BDGAME

I now its not the best place to ask it,but, now that Seran Kagura launched, did someone try to run this game (or any other Japanese game) in a USA 3DS to see what happens?

mutsu

BDGAME said:
I now its not the best place to ask it,but, now that Seran Kagura launched, did someone try to run this game (or any other Japanese game) in a USA 3DS to see what happens?
Hm... It will say the game is from a different Region?

Dolgan

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

Subjects like

These are some interesting subjects. Do you have some numbers to show these trends? I remember someone posting 3rd party marketshare for every console. If I remember correctly, Namco Bandai releases many games. They don't have many big hitters, but lots of smaller success stories. Does somebody know how many games Namco Bandai published in 2011/2010/2009? How many games did other 3rd party release?

Otome games are those boys love games? Did the number of female gamers rise? On which consoles did the sales numbers grow? I guess it's on PSP and NDS.

Have you some examples where the anime effect worked and where it didn't? I think Steins;Gate is an good example for it working. It may depend on the quality of the anime and the game.

I remember Steins;Gate having good legs (LTD = fw*3), at least for an ADV, due to word of mouth. Maybe Dunami can recreate this success? Maybe the ADV audience is on PSP?

I'm definitely no expert on Musou, but it seems to me, that they try to reach different audiences with their Musou games. Gundam, Fist of the Northstar, One Piece target, additionally to the traditional "Musou audience", different fanbases. As long as they can keep up with that, they migth be able to continue this success.

I've been a constant lurker for a few years and I always thought these types of discussions were the most interesting. It's nice to discuss which effect sales will have for support. :)

duckroll

The 2ch sales thread has a leak of weekly sales numbers from Enterbrain. This is non-verified, so we'll see if it matches up with the Famitsu list later today:

Top10:
01. Dark Souls (PS3) - 228,870
02. ICO/SotC BOX (PS3) - 90,220
03. Yugioh 6 (PSP) - 66,000
04. DQ Collection (Wii) - 58,120 (322,880)
05. Pervert Strip Fight (3DS) - 53,950
06. Gears of War 3 (360) - 45,830
07. To Heart 2 DX+ (PS3) - 31,450
08. Battle Masters Mk2 (PSP) - 27,090
09. Tales of Xillia (PS3) - 22,750 (590,620)
10. Champion Jockey (PS3) - 17,610

Others:
12. SotC (PS3) - 16,650
18. Shadows of the Damned (PS3) - 9,230
21. ICO (PS3) - 7,680
--. Shadows of the Damned (360) - 2,040
--. Champion Jockey (Wii) - 1,530
--. Champion Jockey (360) - 530

Remember, these are unconfirmed leaks.

BurntPork

Banned
duckroll said:
The 2ch sales thread has a leak of weekly sales numbers from Enterbrain. This is non-verified, so we'll see if it matches up with the Famitsu list later today:

Remember, these are unconfirmed leaks.
Dark Souls looks good.

Boobz did better than expected. 3DS will almost definitely remain above 50k this week, with 55k being likely.

Gears did okay, too.

Top Bottom