• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2011 (Sep 12 - Sep 18)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
...Unbelievable.
When we remember the past, leaks from Famitsu come back.
That time machine works too well, guys...

Erethian

LiquidMetal14 said:
Demons Souls comparison first week please.

But it went on to do 168,816 in lifetime sales, and the budget release did another 68,524, so the series obviously built good word of mouth over time.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Demons Souls comparison first week please.
Demon's Souls started verrry slowly...but then developed legs due to good word of mouth, so in a way Dark Souls being the spiritual sequel should start a lot better, but I didn't expect THIS better.

EDIT: Okay someone posted the figures!

Everything seems to be doing well, Dark Souls, Kagura, ICO/NICO and Yu-Gi-Oh especially.

I'm really curious what DQ Collection's sellthrough ratio is like? Is it supply constrained like Mario Collection was?

C_H_T

Erethian said:

But it went on to do 168,816 in lifetime sales, and the budget release did another 68,524, so the series obviously built good word of mouth over time.

So, Dark souls will sell 200-250k in it's 1st week.

It would be the best day if Famitsu leaks came back and we got hardware and top 30 + new games figures on Wednesday afternoons!

I love MC and the leaks have been great, but it would awesome if we got top 30 back!

lunchwithyuzo said:
Everything seems to be doing well, Dark Souls, Kagura, ICO/NICO and Yu-Gi-Oh especially.

I'm really curious what DQ Collection's sellthrough ratio is like? Is it supply constrained like Mario Collection was?
I don't think it was supply constrained based on Dengenki's shipment estimates.

Acosta

Chris1964 said:
From the point of cold numbers these years were the absolute disaster for sales-age.

There wasn't someone that was saving them and numerous important Media Create data have been lost.

Its not like I consider everything was better back then, you have done an outstanding work with the data and I really appreciate it. It´s great having someone so reliable tracking this.

Basslover

Tailzo said:
I think I'm usually only lurking because I do not have anything interesting to say. Maybe I should reply more often. Let the others in the thread know that I'm really appreciating their work. After all, this is where I can get some sort of hint as to what is currently hot in Japan :) Thank you, all of you :)

Same here, I have been lurking for a while (long before I was a junior member here) but didn't thought I had anything too insightful to say... maybe I will start asking good questions next time.

duckroll

I think based on the huge drop off for ToX sales, we can conclude that the upper limit of the Tales user base is about 600k. What's interesting is, this is actually perfectly in line with what a major console Tales game generally does, even throughout the PS1 and PS2 generations.

There are very few Tales games which sold much more than 600k. Both Tales of Destiny games pull ahead significantly more than any other Tales game in the series, with the original selling over 800k, and the sequel selling almost 800k. Other than this, the only Tales title I can think of which did over 600k would be Eternia, but it didn't reach 700k.

I think it's quite a remarkable feat that Namco has managed to release a Tales title which not only recovered the series from the slum in the last 5 years, but actually managed to show that the overall user base for the series has not dropped at all. While the Tales series is by no means growing, it shows that when targeting the right platform the user base is on, the series hasn't dropped in popularity either.

This further reinforces the observation that the lowered sales of the Tales series in the last 5 years were not due to lowered interest, but simply to terrible platform and marketing strategy.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
duckroll said:
The 2ch sales thread has a leak of weekly sales numbers from Enterbrain. This is non-verified, so we'll see if it matches up with the Famitsu list later today:
It's the same person that used to leak Famitsu top 30 before. I think hatima is the original source of the numbers.

Mpl90

Chris1964 said:
It's the same person that used to leak Famitsu top 30 before. I think hatima is the original source of the numbers.

...Ok,it's official.
They actually HAVE seen my thread about the sales-age threads of the past and decided it was the right time to make them return :lol

ZoddGutts

I'll be interesting to see how that Tales game does on Vita compared to Tales Abyss on 3DS did. Didn't Abyss do only around 85k on 3DS? Not exactly good even for a port.

Kenka

Definitely.

Now, let's hope we get the numbers shortly so we can put an end to our superfluous convos and finally discuss how much of a phenomene Senran Kagura is.
Also, Santa, I would like to see the 3DS past 80'000, just to have a chance to appreciate the earth crust meltdown that will follow.

wrowa

walking fiend said:
numbers seems pretty legit to me, just a bit low maybe? Though I didn't expect SotC compilation to sell this much!
Low? I think everything's pretty high.

Really great sales for Dark Souls if true. That 3DS boobs game also did way better than I expected, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing :lol

Mpl90

wrowa said:
Low? I think everything's pretty high.

Really great sales for Dark Souls if true. That 3DS boobs game also did way better than I expected, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing :lol

Boobs are ALWAYS good.
And maybe they're also the cause of Famitsu's leak comeback.

spwolf

Magicpaint said:
Demon's Souls started verrry slowly...but then developed legs due to good word of mouth, so in a way Dark Souls being the spiritual sequel should start a lot better, but I didn't expect THIS better.

EDIT: Okay someone posted the figures!

build a good game and people will buy it... even if it is hardcore!

Vinnk

Seran Kagura is sold out at the 2 stores I went to today.

Not that I was planning to buy it. I was just checking for a friend.

Erethian

Vinnk said:

Was reported to have a 60k initial shipment, so I'm not surprised there are shortages.

duckroll said:
This further reinforces the observation that the lowered sales of the Tales series in the last 5 years were not due to lowered interest, but simply to terrible platform and marketing strategy.
100% agree with this. The fanbase is still there and I think they just need to go back to the singular format strategy like they did in the PS1/PS2 days for the mothership titles then pick a viable handheld for spin-offs (like GBC, GBA & PSP) moving on.

I do think ToP PS1, ToR and combined ToS figures may have crossed 600k though? Or at least came close, but your overall point remains.

Mpl90

Vinnk said:

Yeah,yeah... this excuse is classic. :p

BurntPork

Banned
Kenka said:
Definitely.

Now, let's hope we get the numbers shortly so we can put an end to our superfluous convos and finally discuss how much of a phenomene Senran Kagura is.
Also, Santa, I would like to see the 3DS past 80'000, just to have a chance to appreciate the earth crust meltdown that will follow.
I think at best we'll see 3DS stay where it was last week. Keep in mind that last week's boost was an anomaly, and is unlikely to last.

noobie

Banned
Top10:
01. Dark Souls (PS3) - 228,870
02. ICO/SotC BOX (PS3) - 90,220
03. Yugioh 6 (PSP) - 66,000
04. DQ Collection (Wii) - 58,120 (322,880)
05. Pervert Strip Fight (3DS) - 53,950
06. Gears of War 3 (360) - 45,830
07. To Heart 2 DX+ (PS3) - 31,450
08. Battle Masters Mk2 (PSP) - 27,090
09. Tales of Xillia (PS3) - 22,750 (590,620)
10. Champion Jockey (PS3) - 17,610

So 17,610 people are riding horse with MOVE?? :)

ICO/SoTC BOX did way better than my expectation..
and surely amazing Numbers for DarkSouls..
I wander what will be the legs.. is it going to crawl to 500k or going to fizzle out like ToX..

duckroll

Magicpaint said:
100% agree with this. The fanbase is still there and I think they just need to go back to the singular format strategy like they did in the PS1/PS2 days for the mothership titles then pick a viable handheld for spin-offs (like GBC, GBA & PSP) moving on.

I do think ToP PS1, ToR and combined ToS figures may have crossed 600k though? Or at least came close, but your overall point remains.

Famitsu has ToP PS1 at 550k and ToR at 596k. Both probably shipped over 600k, and maybe even eventually sold more than 600k, but yeah the general point is that ~600k is the upper limit of the fan base for an average major Tales release which has done well. ToD and ToD2 are the unusual ones, which indicates that there's a stronger connection fans have for that world in particular.

ToS combined would have just crossed 700k, but that would be similar to combining ToV and ToG re-releases to show they're close to 600k. It's not a fair comparison imo, because the re-releases have extra content on a platform more favorable to Tales fans, so it is also likely that many of the sales are repeat purchases.

C_H_T

1. Dark Souls 279,567
2. Ico/SotC 91,902
3. YugiOh 64,350
4. GoW3 56,113
5. DQ Col. 54,775
6. Senran Kagura 52,206
7. Battle Masters Mk2 32,318
8. To Heart 2 DX+ 24,429
9. ToX 22,4841
10. Champions Jockey 18,281

Kenka

Vinnk said:

Now, don't tell me that Vinnk's Village has come back. I'd go mental and melt with nostalgia.
weeaboo said:
My my, looks like the 3DS-age finally begins.
Yup. Can't wait to see how the trend evolves. 70k is more than what DS sold during the same week in 2005.

Mpl90

However, if I see correctly, all the consoles actually went up.
Was there an Holiday last week?

Vinnk

Kenka said:
Now, don't tell me that Vinnk's Village has come back. I'd go mental and melt with nostalgia.

I would hate to make you melt...

But yes. I'm thinking of reviving it.

The kid is finally old enough to let me have some free time (when she's sleeping). I am slowly getting back into things. Went to TGS this year. Making some new gaming videos. Vinnk's Village is the next step. I just have to remember how I did it...

Top Bottom