• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2016 (Sep 12 - Sep 18)

Aters

What are the japanese companies that care more about western sales than internal sales? Other than Square-Enix and the platform holders, I'm drawing a blank.

Capcom, Konami and Sega (Sega Europe is bigger than Sega Japan, people just don't admit it).

A decline in the overall handheld market doesn't necessairily mean a decline for Nintendo though. The total market could decline up to 20% and NX would still basically equal 3DS. Of course it could also decline more, 3DS/Vita was a decline of around 50% but more than half of that was on Sony's end. Nintendo had around a 30% decline while Sony was a staggering 75%.

nintendo decline is 10 (ten) million units, but yeah, just 30%
sony is 13 million units, but yeah, 75%, such a staggering failure !!!

MacTag

Banned
Capcom, Konami and Sega (Sega Europe is bigger than Sega Japan, people just don't admit it).
I might not include Capcom anymore tbh. Maybe 5+ years ago but it's the domestic market that has been keeping them afloat the past several years. RE6 was a real turning point.

Yes going from ~30m to ~20m is less of failure than ~20m to ~5m in both percentages and absolute units. Vita sold worse than systems like Saturn, N64 or PC Engine while 3DS sold more than any Famicom or PlayStation. One was a notable decline but the other was indeed a staggering failure, like Wii to Wii U or SFC to N64.

Aters

I might not include Capcom anymore tbh. Maybe 5+ years ago but it's the domestic market that has been keeping them afloat the past several years. RE6 was a real turning point.

I think SFV also did better oversea, but yeah, Capcom has been irrelevant for a while for anyone who's not an MH fan. I have this nasty feeling that RE6 will also fail and Capcom will bail from the AAA scene.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think SFV also did better oversea, but yeah, Capcom has been irrelevant for a while for anyone who's not an MH fan. I have this nasty feeling that RE6 will also fail and Capcom will bail from the AAA scene.
RE 6 simultaneously failed to meet expectations and is also Capcom's second best selling product.

Ryng_tolu

Banned

latest

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Well, yeah.
Example:
Your entire business is 100 million units. You lose 30% and are left with 70m with still the vast majority of the market share and relatively healthy business.
Your competitor's share at its peak was an installed base of 20 million units, now it loses 75% and is left with a 5 million units installed base.

You've lost 30 million, double that of your competitor which has lost 15 million units, but in the end which one has by far the biggest failure in their hands?

I mean, this pretty basic logic you learn in high school (if even that late) man.

crinale

I think what makes Vita a less of a failure (if you really try to say so) is that it isn't placed central product their gaming industry, let alone from the entire company's point of view, where as it is far more important to Nintendo. If it were console Sony would dare to dump money to save it (look what they did to PS3) but they've chosen to just let it go, but story is different for Nintendo.

MacTag

Banned
I think what makes Vita a less of a failure (if you really try to say so) is that it isn't placed central product their gaming industry, let alone from the entire company's point of view, where as it is far more important to Nintendo. If it were console Sony would dare to dump money to save it (look what they did to PS3) but they've chosen to just let it go, but story is different for Nintendo.
I guess by this metric Wii U is less of a failure than PS4 too.

crinale

This doesn't make sense, PS4 is doing great worldwide...and if we're talking about Japan specifically Sony doesn't really care.

I personally think this is the most different stance towards this industry between Nintendo and Sony. To counter relative decline of Japanese market's importance, they took different approach, and their current balance between handheld and console sales are result of this management difference, not the cause.

At least, as for mobile they share the same point of view I guess..

mao2

First day sell-through.

[PS4][PS3][PSV] Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro - 50%

[3DS] One Piece Dai Kaizoku Colosseum - 30%

[PS4] Destiny Complete Collection - 40%

[XBO] Forza Horizon 3 Ultimate Edition - Oh this game is out? Well, whatever.

Takao

Banned
Why they (almost) never track Sony systems separably?

Like Slim, 1000, 2000, 3000...

Will they even separate Pro from PS4?

With the exception of PSPgo (which was tracked independently of the UMD models) and PSX (which, for whatever reason wasn't tracked independently of PS2), Sony's hardware revisions completely replace their prior models on the market and are usually sold under the same name. There are no more non-PS4 slims or OLED Vitas being produced, so making a sales distinction is kind of pointless when they play the same software. Nintendo, on the other hand, offers a family of 3DS hardware that's branded independently of one another (3DS/LL/New 3DS/New 3DS LL/2DS) and sold on the same shelves.

Takao

Banned
Square Enix is putting out an Ultimate Hits version of Dragon Quest Builders on December 1st. The Vita version is 2980 yen, with 500 yen incremental increases for PS3 and PS4.

Same day as the new Vita colours. Coincidence? Probably not.

duckroll

Square Enix is putting out an Ultimate Hits version of Dragon Quest Builders on December 1st. The Vita version is 2980 yen, with 500 yen incremental increases for PS3 and PS4.

Are they patching online in yet.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./00. [PSV] Yunohana Spring! Cherishing Time # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2016.09.15} (¥6.300)
22./22. [3DS] Monster Hunter Generations # <ACT> (Capcom) {2015.11.28} (¥5.800)
23./35. [PS4] Overwatch <ACT> (Square Enix) {2016.05.24} (¥7.800)
24./21. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Mura o Tsukurundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2016.07.21} (¥4.800)
25./18. [WIU] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo) {2016.06.23} (¥5.700)
26./14. [PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200)
27./33. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2015.12.10} (¥8.400)
28./34. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.571)
29./48. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.12.03} (¥2.400)
30./27. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 # <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥5.700)
31./08. [PS4] F1 2016 <RCE> (Ubisoft) {2016.09.08} (¥7.980)
32./00. [3DS] Mario Tennis Open [Nintendo Selects] <SPT> (Nintendo) {2016.09.15} (¥2.700)
33./25. [PSV] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2016.07.21} (¥6.800)
34./23. [PS4] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den <ACT> (Capcom) {2016.08.25} (¥6.990)
35./19. [PS4] The King of Fighters XIV <FTG> (SNK Playmore) {2016.08.25} (¥7.200)
36./29. [PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2016.04.28} (¥6.980)
37./26. [3DS] 12-Sai. Koisuru Diary <ADV> (Happinet) {2016.08.04} (¥5.815)
38./00. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.11.06} (¥7.900)
39./28. [WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.12.06} (¥7.200)
40./32. [PS3] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den <ACT> (Capcom) {2016.08.25} (¥6.990)
41./36. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Don Don! Mystery Adventure <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.06.16} (¥4.800)
42./00. [PS4] Dark Souls III <RPG> (From Software) {2016.03.24} (¥7.430)
43./30. [3DS] Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns <SLG> (Marvelous) {2016.06.23} (¥4.980)
44./44. [3DS] Tomodachi Life [Nintendo Selects] <ETC> (Nintendo) {2016.03.17} (¥2.700)
45./00. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D [Nintendo Selects] <ADV> (Nintendo) {2016.09.15} (¥2.700)
46./47. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.07.30} (¥4.000)
47./00. [XB1] ReCore <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2016.09.15} (¥5.900)
48./00. [3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening [Nintendo Selects] <SLG> (Nintendo) {2016.09.15} (¥2.700)
49./00. [WIU] Terraria <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2016.09.15} (¥3.800)
50./46. [PS4] Ratchet & Clank # <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2016.08.09} (¥5.900)

Top 50

3DS - 19
PS4 - 16
WIU - 6
PS3 - 4
PSV - 4
XB1 - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
|System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    666.000 |    238.000 |    611.000 | 19.112.000 | 24.018.000 |

How much do Nintendo Selects usually open at?

What thread are we in again?

crinale's post says that Sony doesn't care about the Vita therefore it's not a big deal

well guess what, Sony doesn't care about the PS4's performance in Japan either!

(you're free to question how much sense crinale's argument actually makes)

Sandfox

And the reason for that is because the Vita was such a failure.

Anyone in regards to a AAA game.

Even none AAA devs are starting to focus more on the west. devs like NISA* and Atlus** make most of their money from the western market these days

-----------------------------------

*http://nichegamer.com/2015/05/17/ni...sults-nis-america-provided-64-of-all-revenue/

**Atlus is not a public company so they don't release financials. But data show most of their games tend to sell better in the west:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1085120&page=1
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=727297

L~A

Still more expensive than Minecraft, right?

32./00. [3DS] Mario Tennis Open [Nintendo Selects] <SPT> (Nintendo) {2016.09.15} (¥2.700)
45./00. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D [Nintendo Selects] <ADV> (Nintendo) {2016.09.15} (¥2.700)
48./00. [3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening [Nintendo Selects] <SLG> (Nintendo) {2016.09.15} (¥2.700)
49./00. [WIU] Terraria <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2016.09.15} (¥3.800)

So in the end, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins didn't even chart.

Also, Terraria Wii U almost didn't make it into the Top 50. Wasn't expecting to sell >that< poorly.

Also, if anyone needed another proof the Japanese market was doomed:

Code:
+-------+------------
|System |  This Week | 
+-------+------------+
|  ALL  |    [B]666.000[/B] |
+-------+------------+

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
What are the japanese companies that care more about western sales than internal sales? Other than Square-Enix and the platform holders, I'm drawing a blank.

If you didn't discover Japan with PS4 they are basically the same since PS3 or even PS2 days. Actually the opposite way is the one that has really changed. Last years the focus and investment in Japan for western games from publishers has increased.

duckroll

These days Nippon Ichi does. If not for NISA, the entire company would probably be out of business. :p

Lol. So if Sony do any Vita holiday marketing this year (which I doubt they will), it's probably gonna be exactly the same as last year. Except last year it was "buy Minecraft now and look forward to Dragon Quest Builders!" and this year it'll be "buy Minecraft and Dragon Quest Builders!"

test_account

XP-39C²
Well, yeah.
Example:
Your entire business is 100 million units. You lose 30% and are left with 70m with still the vast majority of the market share and relatively healthy business.
Your competitor's share at its peak was an installed base of 20 million units, now it loses 75% and is left with a 5 million units installed base.

You've lost 30 million, double that of your competitor which has lost 15 million units, but in the end which one has by far the biggest failure in their hands?

I mean, this pretty basic logic you learn in high school (if even that late) man.
I guess hes talking about using percentage numbers only. Like saying that someone lost 90% of all their my money yesterday, which can sound dramatic, but it could be anything from a few cents to millions of dollars.

In this case though, we know the numbers as well, and its the end numbers that matters indeed.

Celine

Are you really trying to spin the sales of a system that is going to be the third best selling ever in Japan?
3DS problems/disappointments come from outside Japan.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
The only system that has topped Vita's massive failure as a generation transition is Wii U. Who can forget their original forecasts for first FYs. The first sent Sony out of handheld arena and the second basically forced Nintendo to merge handhelds and home consoles.

The only system that has topped Vita's massive failure as a generation transition is Wii U. Who can forget their original forecasts for first FYs. The first sent Sony out of handheld arena and the second basically forced Nintendo to merge handhelds and home consoles.

PS3 is arguably worse than Vita considering the amount of money they had to pour into it.

Handheld market was in for a rough ride anyway. PS3 had no reason to struggle like it did outside of Krazy Ken.

I would still say capcom .
There are not doing all those remasters for Japan .
Most companies in Japan don't only depend on there market .

PS3 is arguably worse than Vita considering the amount of money they had to pour into it.

Handheld market was in for a rough ride anyway. PS3 had no reason to struggle like it did outside of Krazy Ken.

Still they were able to keep market share and now PS4 will most likely be there most profitable system .
Getting run out the market much worst than losing money .
Even thought it was smartphones more than vita sales that hurt them handheld wise.

zeromcd73

https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog/detail/3698/20160921-persona5.html

Interesting interview about Persona 5 development. The game original started with the two key words of 'find oneself' and and 'journey'. It would be about finish school and starting your life in the outside world. As they were making the foundation for the scenerio and the games tech the Tohoku earthquake happened in Japan which made them pretty much start the game over from scratch due to the changing social situations in Japan.

They also tried making the game not turn based, but as an action title with real time elements and even ran tests using these gameplay elements, but they reverted back since they already had the know how and how to make a good turn-based battle system.

barybll

Banned
Expected drop for p5?

The fact that it only registered 3-4 days of sales might smooth the drop

Im thinking, 70% give or take

orochi91

They also tried making the game not turn based, but as an action title with real time elements and even ran tests using these gameplay elements, but they reverted back since they already had the know how and how to make a good turn-based battle system.
That would have resulted in a big uproar, if they had ditched turn-based combat.

At that point, I wouldn't even have considered it a Persona game anymore :v

Bruno MB

PREDICTION LEAGUE OCTOBER 2016

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Sep 26 to Oct 30):

[3DS] Monster Hunter Stories (23 days) -
[WIU] Paper Mario: Color Splash (18 days) -
[PS4] Battlefield 1 (13 days) -
[3DS] Mario Party: Star Rush (11 days) -
[PSV] Macross Delta Scramble (11 days) -
[PS4 + PS3 + PSV] Berserk Musou (4 days) -
[PS4 + PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization (4 days) -
[PS4 + PSV] World of Final Fantasy (4 days) -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deadline: September 28 2016 09:00 am (EST)

Attention:
  • Remember for some games it's not only the 1st week.
  • Multiplatform entries are the combined available sales of each platform described.

Rules:
  • Do not edit your post after the deadline. If you do, you'll be disqualified.
  • The official monthly hardware sales will be the sum of weekly numbers for all versions of the system available from Famitsu.
  • The official monthly software sales will be the latest total or the sum of the weekly numbers if the title is release before the period available from the Famitsu Top 30.
  • The official monthly sales for multi-platform releases will be the combined available sales of each platform shown in the title entry.
  • The official monthly sales for games with multiple versions will be the combined available sales of each version shown in the title entry.
  • Any game missing in the Famitsu top 30 will be taken out of the predictions.

crinale

I think PS3 is arguably the biggest failure of the industry (I blame Sony HQ instead of Ken though, who was forced to put Blu-Ray when lasers weren't even ready). Not only Sony brew all money they've earned but many heads rolled so I've heard, namely Ken himself :p
The only reason Sony could PS3 keep afloat is they dumped the money to do so, and also they had to do that to not to lose presence in the industry. While I think that was the right decision after PS3's initial fiasco, they got to admit failure is a failure.

Interesting interview about Persona 5 development. The game original started with the two key words of 'find oneself' and and 'journey'. It would be about finish school and starting your life in the outside world. As they were making the foundation for the scenerio and the games tech the Tohoku earthquake happened in Japan which made them pretty much start the game over from scratch due to the changing social situations in Japan.

Tohoku Earthquake made huge impact to pretty much any industry over here, so I'm not too surprised. We may be able to see the initial idea on Persona 6 or later.

xehanort

PREDICTION LEAGUE OCTOBER 2016

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Sep 26 to Oct 30):

[3DS] Monster Hunter Stories (23 days) -
[WIU] Paper Mario: Color Splash (18 days) -
[PS4] Battlefield 1 (13 days) -
[3DS] Mario Party: Star Rush (11 days) -
[PSV] Macross Delta Scramble (11 days) -
[PS4 + PS3 + PSV] Berserk Musou (4 days) -
[PS4 + PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization (4 days) -
[PS4 + PSV] World of Final Fantasy (4 days) -

[/LIST]

I can see lots of titles bombing. I hope World of FF would do fine. I can see Battlefield 1 doing good. I'll post predictions later.

L~A

An action-RPG Persona would be pretty cool, but definitely not as a mainline entry. That's what spin-offs are for, after all.

Top Bottom