• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2016 (Sep 12 - Sep 18)

horuhe

I just wanted to say thanks for the pictures :) Enjoy seeing them.

You're welcome! =D

eh there's still pokego+ stock? I thought it already sold out for the 1st shipment

This was from yesterday and it was still available, as I can tell. Prices went up though, since there are very few units left. I think most of big shopping centers don't have units. Just little stores.
For example, it's available on Rakuten, but the prices are quite insane for now.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/megacustomize/10001715/
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/speedwagon/10001527/

During next week there will be another shipment, for sure.

Square2015

There are comparisons with the launch of the PS3 Slim?
PS3 is the dotted black line, the dotted blue = PS4
WdPvDNW.png

horuhe

Ōkami;217679534 said:
Nintendo said no new shipments until November, that's why its so surprising.

Stores not keeping promises, lol. New units should arrive next week, as we get November, I guess next weekend. It's not surprising, though, sold-outs as soon as is released.

96k for PS4 is higher than I was expecting. That's pretty good. How big can we expect the drop to be next week?

How many fat PS4s are still in the retail channel? I want to know if there are either more or less of those than the number of Xbox Ones sold this week.

duckroll

:p PS4 is still tracking on pair with PS3 so it can possible reach PS3 lifetime numbers yet

The PS3 Slim bump was >150k, the PS4 Slim bump is <100k. I expect the baseline to be lower too, so the gap will only grow from here on out. Get ready for the gap to widen even more when we compare FFXV's boost with FFXIII's boost.

cheesekao

Atlus Japan has never been a big Vita supporter. I don't see why that would change now.

When there's a portable version of Persona 5, I fully expect it to be on NX.
The "everything should be on the bloody NX" meme is getting overbearing at this point, just like how everything should be on the 3ds because the vita is ""dead"" despite devs having the option to do so but they didn't do it because of underlying reasons.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Atlus Japan has never been a big Vita supporter. I don't see why that would change now.

If there is a portable version of Persona 5 in 1-2 years NX will be the only viable option by default.

And it's not like Atlus and Persona aren't familiar with Nintendo.

cheesekao

If there is a portable version of Persona 5 in 1-2 years NX will be the only viable option by default.

And it's not like Atlus and Persona aren't familiar with Nintendo.
If the adoption rate of this gen is of any indication, the Vita is still gonna be a viable platform in 1-2 years.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The "everything should be on the bloody NX" meme is getting overbearing at this point, just like how everything should be on the 3ds because the vita is ""dead"" despite devs having the option to do so but they didn't do it because of underlying reasons.
It's just common sense, Atlus has been a very big supporter of Nintendo handhelds in the last generations. There is no reason for them to stop whats working for them.

duckroll

I'm actually really curious to see where the portable audience in Japan ends up when all is said and done. We've seen that even with the Vita being a failure of sorts, the userbase did not move entirely to the 3DS. Now if we remove any sort of upgrade path for Sony portables, do we assume the active Vita audience will be automatically getting NX next? People seem pretty reluctant to get new systems in general these days. The PS3 still clings on. What will the future hold?

cheesekao

It's just common sense, Atlus has been a very big supporter of Nintendo handhelds in the last generations. There is no reason for them to stop whats working for them.
I mean, people keep repeating that everything should be on the 3ds is common sense but plenty of devs don't think so. The difference between the 3ds and Vita right now is 16 million. The gulf between the NX and Vita in a couple years will be much lower than that.

cw_sasuke

I mean, people keep repeating that everything should be on the 3ds is common sense but plenty of devs don't think so. The difference between the 3ds and Vita right now is 16 million. Will the NX achieve that in 2 years?
I don't recall people saying everything should or would be on the 3DS - the system just wasn't capable to handle most of the bigger multiplattform games. But you can be darn sure that if the 3DS had Vita type hardware power that DQ Heroes, DQ Builders and Co. would be on it as well.

Also for Persona 5 Platinum edition, the game would still be multiplattform anyways... Your argument would make more sense if NX exclusivity was the talking point.

I think Atlus will go for NX/PS4 for the expanded P5 edition since it might be difficult to fit the game to the Vita. Even taking lower res assets into account the Vita cartridges might not be large enough unless they go for P3 Portable type solution again.

I'm actually really curious to see where the portable audience in Japan ends up when all is said and done. We've seen that even with the Vita being a failure of sorts, the userbase did not move entirely to the 3DS. Now if we remove any sort of upgrade path for Sony portables, do we assume the active Vita audience will be automatically getting NX next? People seem pretty reluctant to get new systems in general these days. The PS3 still clings on. What will the future hold?
Why would the Vita audience move to the 3DS when there are still many Japanese 3rd party games that are portable exclusive on Vita though ? Also I doubt the market of people who own a Vita but don't have access to a 3DS is that large to begin with.

Mobile and NX seems like the obvious upgrade path for current portable users.

cheesekao

I don't recall people saying everything should or would be on the 3DS - the system just wasn't capable to handle most of the bigger multiplattform games. But you can be darn sure that if the 3DS had Vita type hardware power that DQ Heroes, DQ Builders and Co. would be on it as well.
Oh, I've seen people say that in mediacrate threads.

Back on topic, there are so many games that look like they could run on the PSP(some actually do) so I doubt power is the main reason here. Just to name a few: God Eater, Toukiden, Trails of Hearts R, Demon Gaze, Danganronpa, a whole shit-tonne of VNs, etc. That's not to mention that 3DS games run at 240p. I can also argue that if they really wanted a 3DS version of a game, they could make the 3DS version the 'base' version like several other devs have done.

Duckroll also made this point a few pages back.
It's not about whether Sony has any say. I really don't understand why some of you think of exclusive deals as demands made by a first party against the will of everyone else. That's pretty much never how it works. The reason why there are brand exclusives tend to be because of complex working relationships across multiple levels.

In the case of cool anime centric franchises, lets not underestimate the value of marketing relationships across the entire Sony Japan umbrella. Aniplex is a major media partner for a lot of these projects (Tales, Persona, God Eater, Fate, Macross, Idolmaster, etc) and is it a surprise that for these games, the major game titles are all on Sony platforms? Why do you think that is? It's not because of any exclusivity clause, but rather because there is value in centralizing all marketing. When people watch a late night anime, the sponsors pay for the advertising blocks. On these blocks they advertise games, BDs, and music. They advertise their brands, and under the same group umbrella it is easier to promote Sony games this way, which is why Sony has built a reputation for being the platform for fans of such things in Japan.

I fail to see why there even would be a portable version of Persona 5. It would not only be a downgrade but after the incoming rise in their Western sales and solid Japanese sales, I don't see Atlus having a P5P.

AniHawk

I fail to see why there even would be a portable version of Persona 5. It would not only be a downgrade but after the incoming rise in their Western sales and solid Japanese sales, I don't see Atlus having a P5P.

wasn't p3p already a (visually) downgrade port? and isn't p5 also on the ps3, which is probably not going to match up to the nx in any shape or form?

i don't see atlus turning away the opportunity to build the brand further and keep it in the public consciousness with a new version. we're talking about the guys that did devil survivor and etrian remakes on the 3ds.

also, despite it being the vita, p4 golden was a pretty big success even in the west. i really don't know why atlus wouldn't want to do it.

wasn't p3p already a (visually) downgrade port? and isn't p5 also on the ps3, which is probably not going to match up to the nx in any shape or form?

i don't see atlus turning away the opportunity to build the brand further and keep it in the public consciousness with a new version. we're talking about the guys that did devil survivor and etrian remakes on the 3ds.

also, despite it being the vita, p4 golden was a pretty big success even in the west. i really don't know why atlus wouldn't want to do it.

The gap between P3 -> P3P and P5 and what the Vita can do seems more to me.
NX hasn't even been announced. Frankly its a baseless statement without confirmation of certain aspects.

P4G would not have been as successful if Persona 4 had a PS3 SKU available.

I see P5FES and then P6 in a short time relative to the P4 to P5 wait.

Sayad

The PS3 Slim bump was >150k, the PS4 Slim bump is <100k. I expect the baseline to be lower too, so the gap will only grow from here on out. Get ready for the gap to widen even more when we compare FFXV's boost with FFXIII's boost.

50K waiting for the Pro! :eek:

Curious how the next game will do considering it will either be PS4 exclusive or PS4/NX in Japan, coming off the back of the super positive reception of Berseria, and how continually fucked the Japanese industry is in in 2017/18

Next game will be an anniversary title so it has that at least.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Vita active audience isn't any amazing number. Some if not many of Vita owners must own a 3DS. At the unlikely scenario Sony tries another dedicated handheld it will be late at the game again and with much worse projected future from Vita. So either NX succeeds or Japanese dedicated video game market will collapse.

Celine

Vita active audience isn't any amazing number. Some if not many of Vita owners must own a 3DS. At the unlikely scenario Sony tries another dedicated handheld it will be late at the game again and with much worse projected future from Vita. So either NX succeeds or Japanese dedicated video game market will collapse.
Ding ding ding.

We are living through uncertain times.

AniHawk

NX hasn't even been announced. Frankly its a baseless statement without confirmation of certain aspects.

i expect the p5 universe to be milked for about 5 years while p6 is in development. considering the eight year gap, atlus is fine taking their time to develop games.

i don't think that a hypothetical p4g ps3 is relevant to the conversation. atlus built a following for persona on handhelds in the years leading up to persona 4 golden. i think that led to its success more than atlus simply having the game on the platform, and i think that the handheld-owning persona fans might double dip or are otherwise not being served with this release to a degree where it's financially viable to make an updated version. a p5fes would make sense as you suggest, and i could see it on ps4 and nx.

cw_sasuke

Oh, I've seen people say that in mediacrate threads.

Back on topic, there are so many games that look like they could run on the PSP(some actually do) so I doubt power is the main reason here. Just to name a few: God Eater, Toukiden, Trails of Hearts R, Demon Gaze, Danganronpa, a whole shit-tonne of VNs, etc. That's not to mention that 3DS games run at 240p. I can also argue that if they really wanted a 3DS version of a game, they could make the 3DS version the 'base' version like several other devs have done.

Duckroll also made this point a few pages back.

There will always be low budget or niche games exclusive to systems - i was talking about more essential and bigger multiplattform games. PSV is still a target for the PS3-spec enviroment while the 3DS isnt.

To be fair i never expected a Portable or downgrade P5 either - the next Release will be a Fes type expansion and if it hits NX, which is possible, Atlus will have the game running on a portable as well - thats all.

cw_sasuke

I would not bet on that 100% though. I feel mobile crazy growth is going to be scary for sure.

So ? Mobile is and has been dominating the market for years now. People can enjoy and spend games on their mobile phones while buying and be invested in handheld games. You wont play traditional Monster Hunter on your phone, Pokemon Go wont stop anyone from getting Sun and Moon - it will likely have the opposite effect, same for DQ 11.

NX will have an issue if Nintendo and 3rds fail to deliver content - not because of mobile growth, because thats something that cant be stopped anyway. What is more likely to happend is that the bigger mobile games will get their console adaptations like we saw with PaD/MS or the lates Gran Blu spin-off announcement.

i expect the p5 universe to be milked for about 5 years while p6 is in development. considering the eight year gap, atlus is fine taking their time to develop games.

i don't think that a hypothetical p4g ps3 is relevant to the conversation. atlus built a following for persona on handhelds in the years leading up to persona 4 golden. i think that led to its success more than atlus simply having the game on the platform, and i think that the handheld-owning persona fans might double dip or are otherwise not being served with this release to a degree where it's financially viable to make an updated version. a p5fes would make sense as you suggest, and i could see it on ps4 and nx.

Most of those handheld Persona fans will have a PS4/3 for Persona 5.

cw_sasuke

Most of those handheld Persona fans will have a PS4/3 for Persona 5.

I dont quite get the distinction between handheld and homeconsole fans lol - either you are a Persona fan or not. If you are one you are likely to own a PS 3/4 at this point.

If we talk about about the re-release and double dipping for a enhanced version down the line - lets just say having a portable version for the market makes sense.

Bought P3P and P4G because they were on handhelds, wouldnt have cared enough to go through the same 80 hours on PS2 tbh.

casiopao

So ? Mobile is and has been dominating the market for years now. People can enjoy and spend games on their mobile phones while buying and be invested in handheld games. You wont play traditional Monster Hunter on your phone, Pokemon Go wont stop anyone from getting Sun and Moon - it will likely have the opposite effect, same for DQ 11.

NX will have an issue if Nintendo and 3rds fail to deliver content - not because of mobile growth, because thats something that cant be stopped anyway. What is more likely to happend is that the bigger mobile games will get their console adaptations like we saw with PaD/MS or the lates Gran Blu spin-off announcement.

My concern is more on the basis that i don't think all 20 mil 3ds owner is still active player.

And i believe over all this gen, mobile had eroded many traditional platform gamer numbers as many had migrated to mobile and they are satisfied with that platform.

gtj1092

This sounds like the arguments being made before the launch of 3DS claiming the mobile market won't have an effect because the games are too different and that the DS was successful while iPhones were also booming. But it's one thing to ask people to buy games for a 3DS they already own, it's another to ask them to buy a new console and games. My money is on there being even less people willing to upgrade this generation or next depending on how you categorize the NX. The market is collapsing NX "success" will only slow the rate of collapse. Just like Ps4s success is merely slowing the rate of collapse in the West.

MilkBeard

For some reason I thought Persona 5 would sell better than it did. Well, it's still technically a success, considering that it has sold the best in the series so far.

cw_sasuke

My concern is more on the basis that i don't think all 20 mil 3ds owner is still active player.

And i believe over all this gen, mobile had eroded many traditional platform gamer numbers as many had migrated to mobile and they are satisfied with that platform.

Thats nothing new though - the DS also never had 30m active players or any other dominant platform. The software sales will show us how active the userbase is. Your concerns are based in reality though - we dont know how the market will react to a new mayor portable system in 2017 - then again we also dont know what the system is about, games, price etc.

If Nintendo finds a smart way to connect mobile gamers to their console content they can revitalize the market.

This sounds like the arguments being made before the launch of 3DS claiming the mobile market won't have an effect because the games are too different and that the DS was successful while iPhones were also booming. But it's one thing to ask people to buy games for a 3DS they already own, it's another to ask them to buy a new console and games. My money is on there being even less people willing to upgrade this generation or next depending on how you categorize the NX. The market is collapsing NX "success" will only slow the rate of collapse. Just like Ps4s success is merely slowing the rate of collapse in the West.

Lets be honest - the 3DS would have sold a lot less than the DS even if there was no mobile market. The casual audience didnt buy into the 3D hype so it was an uphill battle from the start - add in the sloppy 3DS launch, the fact that the PSP was still perfoming well and many customers were okay with their old DSses.

The market changes all the time, so who knows what the landscape will look in 5 years. But for now i just have a hard time believing that Nintendos single portable plattform will fail in Japan. Everything is possible, just dont see it happen since this would mean that Japan doesnt want their Animal Crossing, Pokemon or Mario games anymore.

The 3DS is still selling to this date and with 20k Yen price its not really cheap, i think people will continue to buy hardware to play console games.
As someone who has spend a lot of time on f2p games - they really make you appreciate traditional console games even more tbh. Spending 40 bucks and be done with it seems like luxury.

Current data doesnt suggest to me that mobile and handheld market cant co-exist. 3DS did still PS2 numbers and had a lot of titles performing quite well, despite the shortcomings of the device.

crinale

On commuting trains in Japan I witness far less 3DS (or none) in mornings and evenings, not even by kids. The smartphone penetration rate for elementary kids isn't 100% yet but it sure is increasing..

So they don't hurt Vita fans' feelings.

Like, the writing is on the wall. The Vita is no PS3 or PSP, it never was (what's the highest selling Vita game at right now ? 400 something k ?) and Atlus never liked the system very much (literally the only internal games they've made for it are P4G and Dancing all night, the letter started out as a farmed out title).

The idea that it would be the ideal platform to receive a P5P in the usual 3+ years it takes is utterly ludicrous.

Top Bottom