• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2011 (Sep 19 - Sep 25)

BurntPork

Banned
mclem said:
I have a horrified feeling investors *were*.
That they they were, which is why they've already given up on it and want Nintendo to do the same. Investors are only happy if each product you sell does better than the last one. Even if the 3DS does very well, if it falls short of the DS, investors will declare it a failure and will continue trying to push Nintendo onto iOS.

Gravijah

BurntPork said:
That they they were, which is why they've already given up on it and want Nintendo to do the same. Investors are only happy if each product you sell does better than the last one. Even if the 3DS does very well, if it falls short of the DS, investors will declare it a failure and will continue trying to push Nintendo onto iOS.

you really gotta stop looking at the world in black and white.

Cruzader

Banned
Canova said:
this time From Soft get all the money, since they're the publisher.

so yeah Sony is a fool, one of their worst mistakes this generation is to abandon Demon's Souls.

Dark Souls is going to sell millions worldwide, more than most of Sony's first parties
They lost alot by turning their back on Demon's souls and support the shit called White Knight kronicles. God that franchise is so horrible, wtf were they thinking?

BurntPork said:
Growth in the mobile games sector will slow down and a few of the companies that have made a name for themselves in this space (like Zynga) will collapse or see their share price plummet from unrealistic highs. Then the investors will be pounding on Iwata’s door demanding that he drop everything the company is doing and get into the next gaming-related bubble.

Cruzader said:
They lost alot by turning their back on Demon's souls and support the shit called White Knight kronicles. God that franchise is so horrible, wtf were they thinking?
They were probably thinking much the same thing as these guys.

BurntPork said:
Vita still eats 3DS alive in terms of games that appeal to western gamers, so it's still up in the air. If Nintendo doesn't get more third-party titles out that can sell in the west, we could see Vita dominate.
Oh boy. You share your account with a brother or something right? Its the only explanation.

BurntPork

Banned
AceBandage said:
That goes without saying.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Growth in the mobile games sector will slow down and a few of the companies that have made a name for themselves in this space (like Zynga) will collapse or see their share price plummet from unrealistic highs. Then the investors will be pounding on Iwata’s door demanding that he drop everything the company is doing and get into the next gaming-related bubble.
lol. Probably.

BishopLamont said:
Oh boy. You share your account with a brother or something right? Its the only explanation.
What do you mean?

I think there may be a lot of titles under performing or bombing on the 3DS this holiday season. There are simply too many big games coming out in such a short period of time.

I think the 3DS will sell insane amounts of SW and HW but there will definitely be some games left in the dust.

Daschysta

AdventureRacing said:
I think there may be a lot of titles under performing or bombing on the 3DS this holiday season. There are simply too many big games coming out in such a short period of time.

I think the 3DS will sell insane amounts of SW and HW but there will definitely be some games left in the dust.

Which would mean alot of these games will have insane legs.

Takao

Banned
Daschysta said:
Which would mean alot of these games will have insane legs.

Not necessarily. If there's so many new games coming out at once, would stores be interested in carrying many copies in the first place?

Erethian

AdventureRacing said:

Someone should put together a list of notable titles coming out during Nov/Dec for all platforms.

Like it'd be interesting to know whether the Vita launch and 3DS lineup will hurt other platforms, or vice versa.

noobie said:
Has any other IP done so that the sequel did more than Life time sales of the previous entries in the first week?
I think Rhythm Tengoku might have. MH2 to MH3 might be close too, but I'm not sure?

KTallguy

Banned
Chris1964 said:
Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2011 (Sep 19 - Sep 25)

01./00. [PS3] Dark Souls <RPG> (From Software) {2011.09.22} (¥7.800) - 279.567 / NEW

So the industry might be mended... amen.

Alrus

I don't see any of the big Nov/Dec title eating too much into each other because they're all in vastly different genre and target different demographics... The only title I see underperforming would be Slime Mori Mori 3 as it's releasing really close to Mario Land...

Cipherr

Alrus said:
I don't see any of the big Nov/Dec title eating too much into each other because they're all in vastly different genre and target different demographics... The only title I see underperforming would be Slime Mori Mori 3 as it's releasing really close to Mario Land...

Most of those titles that are big are large million sellers. People are kidding themselves thinking they wont either have legs or do their normal numbers.

Genre spread, and the holiday season will see to the large titles selling what they should. And stores are not going to choose to not buy stock in massive franchises, cmon now... If this were the middle of the summer, then yeah to many big releases could cripple each other. But this is the biggest spending months of the year we are talking about. There will be enough room.

cvxfreak

lunchwithyuzo said:
I think Rhythm Tengoku might have. MH2 to MH3 might be close too, but I'm not sure?

Famitsu:

Monster Hunter 2 2006 YTD: 570,651
Monster Hunter 3 first week: 583,000

king zell said:
so guys how many unit's people predict Monster Hunter 3G gonna sell? 1 million? more?

I would guess about 2 million. If not 2 million with the initial release, then a budget version would bring it there. It will probably take a few months, though.

Really weird to see such a significant boost for 3DS the last couple weeks. I'm curious to see how the holidays turn out.

Also...

Dear Burntpork,
For the love of God just stop trying to make predictions please.
Sincerely OrangeGrayBlue.

Kazerei

Banned
BishopLamont said:
BurntPork said:
Vita still eats 3DS alive in terms of games that appeal to western gamers, so it's still up in the air. If Nintendo doesn't get more third-party titles out that can sell in the west, we could see Vita dominate.

No, that's just BurntPork being himself.

Penguin

mentalfloss said:
aaaaaand that officially kills all 3DS doom and gloom.

The crow has been well served.

That won't stop people.
And not like the system won't have its peaks and valleys but to see such a recovery without any of the major software hitting yet.

Penguin said:
That won't stop people.
And not like the system won't have its peaks and valleys but to see such a recovery without any of the major software hitting yet.

Oh it's definitely over for Vita now.

Sony is already dead.

Penguin

mentalfloss said:
Oh it's definitely over for Vita now.

Sony is already dead.

I think the two concepts are mutually exclusive.

If the 3DS does or doesn't do well, won't necessarily be gauged on how well/poorly the Vita does.

Erethian

Penguin said:
I think the two concepts are mutually exclusive.

If the 3DS does or doesn't do well, won't necessarily be gauged on how well/poorly the Vita does.

To an extent. A system doing poorly isn't a guarantee that its competitors will do well, but that doesn't go the other way. If a system does well then, generally, it affects its competitors.

The main issue at the moment is that the 3DS has a slew of potentially big-selling titles going well into next year, while the Vita... doesn't. That could obviously change, but with the information at hand it's not unreasonable to predict that the Vita will struggle past its initial launch period.

matmanx1

Vita actually has a really nice launch lineup from where I am sitting. I think the launch period is well covered and Sony will most likely sell all they manufacture for the first couple of months.

It's the 6-12 month period after the Vita launches that will be most telling, however. Are there new games coming at a respectable pace? Are new game announcements still happening? Are consumers still happy with the product and it's performance? If the answers to all of these questions is "yes" then the Vita will be fine. Oh it probably won't do 3DS numbers but it could still be successful and perhaps even pull some folks in who wouldn't normally buy a dedicated gaming handheld device.

If the answer to one or several of those questions is "no" then Sony could be in for an extremely bad time. 2012 is going to be very important for Sony and the Vita. Critical, really.

viciouskillersquirrel said:

Global smartphone sales (not even mentioning tablets) of 1 billion are forecast for 2015 (by then smartphones will be enormous orders of magnitude of power beyond Vita and 3DS, heck beyond PS3 and 360), but according to you the mobile games sector is a "bubble"?

Nice dream.

mclem said:
I have a horrified feeling investors *were*.

The ones that bought Nintendo stock AFTER the Wii/DS rise to heaven? Oh yeah, I can see that. Scariest thing in the business world is stockholders who've got in their head that a stock purchase is guarenteed returns.

BurntPork

Banned
OrangeGrayBlue said:
Really weird to see such a significant boost for 3DS the last couple weeks. I'm curious to see how the holidays turn out.

Also...

Dear Burntpork,
For the love of God just stop trying to make predictions please.
Sincerely OrangeGrayBlue.
No. Crow is too tasty.

M3d10n said:
Like this, maybe?
Also no.

east of eastside said:
Global smartphone sales (not even mentioning tablets) of 1 billion are forecast for 2015 (by then smartphones will be enormous orders of magnitude of power beyond Vita and 3DS, heck beyond PS3 and 360), but according to you the mobile games sector is a "bubble"?

Nice dream.
Yes it is a bubble. Just like how the tech bubble of the 90s was a bubble despite the fact that Internet business and services did, in fact, take over the world and many of the businesses that suffered the worst of the crash never actually suffered drops in year-on-year growth.. What happens in a bubble is that businesses (and other commodities) in a growth sector become overvalued and a lot of money gets thrown into it in the hope of making a fat profit. When something happens to make it clear the market at the time cannot support all the new entrants, investors panic and there's a crash as they bail out.

Remember, I'm talking about stock prices here, not revenues or profits.

watershed

Banned
So what looks to be reason for the 3ds' bump? Its risen 2 weeks in a row since hitting a low of 50K right? Its looking like momentum to me or is it just boobs?

artwalknoon said:
So what looks to be reason for the 3ds' bump? Its risen 2 weeks in a row since hitting a low of 50K right? Its looking like momentum to me or is it just boobs?

Combination of announcements, upcoming titles, lower price and backlog.

BurntPork

Banned
artwalknoon said:
Two weeks ago: announcements
Last week: boobs

BurntPork said:
Vita having dual analog and HD graphics makes this a whole different situation. Even if it only sells half as much as it does on console, it'll really push sales. If it's a console port and it lets you share stats with the PS3 version, it's going to push Vita sky-high.

MzeSl.jpg

You clearly do not play Call of Duty.

Top Bottom