• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2011 (Oct 10 - Oct 16)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Chris1964 said:
For the record Wii Party crossed 2 million this week at Media Create.

The source is the MC report with top50 of last week, right?
However, nice.

Heavy said:
Yeah, I know right! And now the 3DS has Monster Hunter, I'm so happy! Yay Nintendo!

Who's to say that nothing else can pop up out of nowhere on the Vita? With its 3G support, it's quite well suited to hosting a new social phenomenon of its own.

I don't think that any of the titles we've seen so far will be that game (no, not even COD Vita), but who knows what could happen. Maybe in 2 years time, the Vita will get its own social phenomenon out of nowhere? (then it really will be DS vs PSP all over again!)

test_account

XP-39C²
Dragon said:
You can save around 50% of the launch games without the need of a memory card, but yeah it's pretty stupid of Sony. I didn't think they'd top bundling composite cables with the PS3 but I think this beats it.
The reason why composite cables are bundled with PS3 is because it works on pretty much every TV. The other reason is to keep cost down by not including a HDMI cable as well (not much to save on a single console, but the sum adds up when we talk millions upon millions of consoles). Microsoft also only include a composite cable with Xbox 360 now.

Orgen

walking fiend said:
What I am saying, is that the numbers will be so big that this won't make it impossible for hardware to pass 600k. Do not forget that 3G is coming only 9 days after MK7.

It will be a year that 3DS will sell more that what it has done till now, I expect at least 2m 3DSs to be sold from now till the year's end.

Yes, I would be surprised if it sells less than 500k. 400k? 'Really' surprised. I will also be surprised if it sells 1m. I can totally expect it to sell between 600k-800k though.

*That is unless Nintendo manages to somehow fuck with production again and not be able to supply the demand, something which is really Nintendo like.

My point is that it's not really about pure numbers, I don't think it'll sell that much if it is just a lame attempt such as +Catz too, but it must not let the audience feel 'alienated' from the device. Brand image is something that will be really hard to cure later; just look at how a game like Xenoblade or TLS sells only 120k on Wii. It's mostly due to image of Wii being damaged gradually by Nintendo neglecting it.

If it was not for Zumba and Just Dance and crazy legs of few Nintendo games, the same thing would have happened on the casual side.

I don't know if you were here the Christmas of 2005 but it was crazy. Old games having incredible legs, new IP's becoming million sellers, DS sold out several months and people importing systems from other countries... the numbers speak for themselves. And I don't "feel" this craziness this time. Maybe I'm wrong (although anything is possible) but I'll tell you one more time: +2 million systems are A LOT (even in two months). And an 800.000 FW for MK7 is a lot too (it'd be almost double the LTD of OoT in the first week).

And besides the DS craziness I don't think Nintendo has ever fucked up the demand HW & SW wise (in Japan at least, I remember there were problems with the Wii in the USA).

I don't think the poor sales of Xenoblade & Last Story have to do with the image of the system being damaged. Before all this, other RPG's like Tales barely broke 200.000 and the system was on fire. But this topic has been discussed to death and I don't want to bring it again :)

Jokeropia said:
Wow, you're pretty bitter about that.
It was a joke playing off how happy and excited his post came off at the thought of Monster Hunter causing a sales explosion for 3DS. He's probably right, though. 3DS has got Japan in the bag

beril

Nuclear Muffin said:
Who's to say that nothing else can pop up out of nowhere on the Vita? With its 3G support, it's quite well suited to hosting a new social phenomenon of its own.

I don't think that any of the titles we've seen so far will be that game (no, not even COD Vita), but who knows what could happen. Maybe in 2 years time, the Vita will get its own social phenomenon out of nowhere? (then it really will be DS vs PSP all over again!)

The chance of a new Monster Hunter seems a bit low. Vita will undoubtedly get its share of surprise hits but something on the scale of MH doesn't happen every day.

In the west the biggest games seem to vary a bit more between different generations but in japan I think it's a bit more stable with Pokemon, Mario, DQ and FF always on top until MH came along. And what's to say the next big thing will be on Vita and not 3DS or even a home console.

donny2112

I think Just Dance Wii will outsell PS3 Ace Combat Oct 17-23. i.e. less of a drop/better legs. Seems reasonable, right?

JPNHandhelds-39.png

Jokeropia said:
Wow, you're pretty bitter about that.

I suspect you've seen Heavy post in threads before. He's not exactly nice when it comes to Nintendo.

gkryhewy

test_account said:
The reason why composite cables are bundled with PS3 is because it works on pretty much every TV. The other reason is to keep cost down by not including a HDMI cable as well (not much to save on a single console, but the sum adds up when we talk millions upon millions of consoles). Microsoft also only include a composite cable with Xbox 360 now.
Man, this is some hardcore Sony defense right here. Get this guy some $100 proprietary media.

LOCK

donny2112 said:
I think Just Dance Wii will outsell PS3 Ace Combat Oct 17-23. i.e. less of a drop/better legs. Seems reasonable, right?

JPNHandhelds-39.png
I think the Just Dance legs might do it.

And from the graph you can clearly see the 3DS begin its curve as it rises to the heavens.

Orgen said:
I don't know if you were here the Christmas of 2005 but it was crazy. Old games having incredible legs, new IP's becoming million sellers, DS sold out several months and people importing systems from other countries... the numbers speak for themselves. And I don't "feel" this craziness this time. Maybe I'm wrong (although anything is possible) but I'll tell you one more time: +2 million systems are A LOT (even in two months). And an 800.000 FW for MK7 is a lot too (it'd be almost double the LTD of OoT in the first week).

And besides the DS craziness I don't think Nintendo has ever fucked up the demand HW & SW wise (in Japan at least, I remember there were problems with the Wii in the USA).

I don't think the poor sales of Xenoblade & Last Story have to do with the image of the system being damaged. Before all this, other RPG's like Tales barely broke 200.000 and the system was on fire. But this topic has been discussed to death and I don't want to bring it again :)
Do you currently feel a craziness for MW3?

However, on Amazon, 3DS titles (MK, 3DL and MH and consoles) are constantly sold out until they are supplied again. I believe the demand is is constantly exceeding what Amazon can normally expect.

Kind of hard to know how well it will do without knowing how feature complete it is
it'll have online at least lol

Chris1964 said:

That kicks arse, I'm surprised that Nintendo didn't make that themselves!

If MK7's gyro controls work as well as they do in MKWii and Nintendo pimp that out in their ads for the game, it could do for MK7 what the Wii Wheel did for MKWii.

BurntPork

Banned
enishi said:
MK7, MH3G, and now this?!

How can I buy 3 games within 10 days....... Not to mention Gundam VS Extreme in the same period...

My wallet am crying!!!
Don't worry, I'm sure your 3DS will print some money for you if you ask nicely!

And you know the passcode.

Mpl90

Chris1964 said:

Eh eh.
But I don't know if this can be effective as the Wii Wheel...because it isn't included with the game, it's something apart from that.
Not that it won't sell, but I don't know if the wheel can effectively influence positively MK7 sales.
Regarding PES 2012...its date can even be considered strategic: out in the week of MH3G, which will bring certainly a good amount of costumers normally on Sony consoles, and so it has a possibility of increasing the fanbase created by PES 2011 (about 110k and still counting)due to MH.

P.S. I hope that wheel comes here.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Nuclear Muffin said:
That kicks arse, I'm surprised that Nintendo didn't make that themselves!

If MK7's gyro controls work as well as they do in MKWii and Nintendo pimp that out in their ads for the game, it could do for MK7 what the Wii Wheel did for MKWii.
people are so stupid here, they would wait for a redesign of the 3ds with the thing included...

BurntPork

Banned
Anyone think it would be crazy to think that all 3DS software sold this holiday (including games launched earlier in the year, but only their sales for the holiday period) could top 3.5 million? I don't think that would be too crazy...

king zell

Regarding PES 2012...its date can even be considered strategic: out in the week of MH3G, which will bring certainly a good amount of costumers normally on Sony consoles, and so it has a possibility of increasing the fanbase created by PES 2011 (about 110k and still counting)due to MH.

but it also coming out with Konami's other big title for the system new love plus, so kinda strange releasing 2 games in the same day

king zell said:
but it also coming out with Konami's other big title for the system new love plus, so kinda strange releasing 2 games in the same day
I don't think people who play PES would normally be interested in NLP+, though just my guess, but definitely they won't be game competing even remotely with each other.

---
btw, surprised PES has sold 110K on 3DS!! How much does it sell at all outside of Japan anyway?!

Michan

Mpl90 said:
Eh eh.
But I don't know if this can be effective as the Wii Wheel...because it isn't included with the game, it's something apart from that.
Not that it won't sell, but I don't know if the wheel can effectively influence positively MK7 sales.
I think the biggest market for the wheel accessory is children who already own Mario Kart Wii, but they won't ask for it or buy it themselves. Parents will likely see it on the shelf after putting a copy of Mario Kart 7 in their basket and, if its reasonably priced, will pick it up as a somewhat expected complement to the game.

Mpl90

Michan said:
I think the biggest market for the wheel accessory is children who already own Mario Kart Wii, but they won't ask for it or buy it themselves. Parents will likely see it on the shelf after putting a copy of Mario Kart 7 in their basket and, if its reasonably priced, will pick it up as a somewhat expected complement to the game.

Mario Kart 7 + Hori Wheel = 6000 Yen.
Mario Kart Wii was released at 5800 Yen.
But I think game and wheel bundled have far more impact than game and wheel separated, when a generic customer searchs for the game: the wheel is seen as something you could really need for the game with the bundle by him / her.
Even if the difference in price is just 200 Yen. I don't know, it's just my idea about the argument.

Orgen

walking fiend said:
Do you currently feel a craziness for MW3?

However, on Amazon, 3DS titles (MK, 3DL and MH and consoles) are constantly sold out until they are supplied again. I believe the demand is is constantly exceeding what Amazon can normally expect.

Nope, but comparing the demand/craziness of an established franchise that solds 15-20 million copies every year (at least the last 3 years) with a system that still has to prove something (sales related) is as silly as using Amazon to prove sales... wait a minute...

It's been said several times that Amazon is not a good indicator for anything sales/demand related. It's like Famitsu Most Wanted games (thank god people stopped using this), so it'll be better if you stop using this as an argument ;)

Michan

Mpl90 said:
But I think game and wheel bundled have far more impact than game and wheel separated, when a generic customer searchs for the game: the wheel is seen as something you could really need for the game with the bundle by him / her.
Even if the difference in price is just 200 Yen. I don't know, it's just my idea about the argument.
I'm not arguing with you. I think you could be right. But I don't know if the wheel is such an obvious throw-in with a handheld game like this. Whereas perhaps most of the people would have used the wheel with Mario Kart Wii, I imagine that only a very small amount of people would want to use it outside with Mario Kart 7.

1,280¥ is not a lot of money in contrast to a ~5,300¥ game. If it's next to the game and parents remember the fun their children had with Mario Kart Wii and its wheel accessory, they will buy it.

Mpl90

Michan said:
I'm not arguing with you. I think you could be right. But I don't know if the wheel is such an obvious throw-in with a handheld game like this. Whereas perhaps most of the people would have used the wheel with Mario Kart Wii, I imagine that only a very small amount of people would want to use it outside with Mario Kart 7.

1,280¥ is not a lot of money in contrast to a ~5,300¥ game. If it's next to the game and parents remember the fun their children had with Mario Kart Wii and its wheel accessory, parents will buy it.

Yeah, this is possible too.
It's really possible some parents will buy it with the game remembering the fun they had playing Mario Kart Wii; just I don't think Hori's wheel can give a sort of a boost effect in sales. Certainly, it won't effect its sales as the Wii Wheel effected MKWii's ones, right because it isn't included with the game.

Michan

Mpl90 said:
I don't think Hori's wheel can give a sort of a boost effect in sales. Certainly, it won't effect its sales as the Wii Wheel effected MKWii's ones, right because it isn't included with the game.
I don't think it will impact the sales either. Its more Hori piggybacking on the potential of a new major release than anything else. Parents will see it after already deciding to buy the game for their children, and pick it up.

I don't think including something like this with a portable game would increase sales. The only way the increased manufacturing, packaging, and shipping expenses could be recovered would be through an increased price, which itself could reduce sales as a result of more desirable options being available to consumers.

Mpl90 said:
Mario Kart 7 + Hori Wheel = 6000 Yen.
Mario Kart Wii was released at 5800 Yen.

Nah. Most people buying MK7 would have played MKWii and would know that the Wheel was just an optional control scheme. It won't have any negative effects at all.

Mpl90

Nuclear Muffin said:
Nah. Most people buying MK7 would have played MKWii and would know that the Wheel was just an optional control scheme. It won't have any negative effects at all.

I'm only talking about selling MORE.
We know MK7 will sell... we're just talking about the possibility the Wheel can make it sell MORE.

But that's enough for the topic, I think.
Let's talk about Inazuma Eleven Go.
THAT is interesting.

BurntPork said:
Anyone think it would be crazy to think that all 3DS software sold this holiday (including games launched earlier in the year, but only their sales for the holiday period) could top 3.5 million? I don't think that would be too crazy...

If you're counting November and December then very easily

Wow burnt pork got banned, what's he done now?

test_account

XP-39C²
gkryhewy said:
Man, this is some hardcore Sony defense right here. Get this guy some $100 proprietary media.
I'll gladely take the free stuff :) But how is that defence? What do you think is the reason for why HDMI cables arent included with PS3 and Xbox 360? You dont think that it is to save cost? And why do you think that every console manufacturer includes composite? You dont think that it is because it is to make sure that everyone can use the console out of the box? I'd really like to know your view on it since you accuse me of defence, so i assume that you have a different answer for it.

Orgen said:
Nope, but comparing the demand/craziness of an established franchise that solds 15-20 million copies every year (at least the last 3 years) with a system that still has to prove something (sales related) is as silly as using Amazon to prove sales... wait a minute...

It's been said several times that Amazon is not a good indicator for anything sales/demand related. It's like Famitsu Most Wanted games (thank god people stopped using this), so it'll be better if you stop using this as an argument ;)
Mario is the most established franchise ever, and MH is the BOps of the Japan.

And I have been telling for a long time that it is how you use Amazon that matters, and I have been using it in prediction leagues and the result hasn't been really bad, you know!

Takao

Banned
Mpl90 said:
I'm only talking about selling MORE.
We know MK7 will sell... we're just talking about the possibility the Wheel can make it sell MORE.

But that's enough for the topic, I think.
Let's talk about Inazuma Eleven Go.
THAT is interesting.

The wheel won't help MK7 sell more. MK7 will sell on its own merits.

As for IEGo, I still expect a decline from IE3.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
test_account said:
Exactly. But apparently that is hardcore Sony defence when i said it =)
Duh. People would say anything for 100 bucks worth of free proprietary media ; )

Seriously though, I always hated manufacturers whose console would ship with composite (understandable) but any higher-grade cable a self-respecting human being would immediately procure would come at something like a $40 pricetag from the same manufacturer (a highway robbery).

test_account

XP-39C²
blu said:
Duh. People would say anything for 100 bucks worth of free proprietary media ; )
Lol :)

blu said:
Seriously though, I always hated manufacturers whose console would ship with composite (understandable) but any higher-grade cable a self-respecting human being would immediately procure would come at something like a $40 pricetag from the same manufacturer (a highway robbery).
Yeah, there is no reason to buy a $40 HDMI cable. Well, unless you need a cable right there and then, and the $40 is the only option in that particular store.

Takao

Banned
Alrus said:
That's a pretty safe guess^^

Well, I don't mean "It's going to decline due to userbase shift", I mean "I think the annual sequels are going to start taking its toll". While the anime is still very popular, I think IEGo's launching in a very volatile sales period with some of the largest franchises in Japan coming out with games (Monster Hunter, Mario, Final Fantasy, etc.), and while it can be considered one of Japan's largest, based on the sales of IE3, it's starting to decline.

Top Bottom