• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 44, 2011 (Oct 31 - Nov 06)

Brazil said:
Today must be a sad day in Boken's lair.

ha I don't know what Boken's typical posting is like, but I'd love to see a parody 'lair' that was the opposite of Gahiggidy's famous basement picture (framed Iwata pic, crate, gamecube playing area on the floor etc)

Anyone else remember the days when people used to actually try and argue that Japanese people were physically incapable of enjoying FPS games? I can't remember if I read people saying that here or on the IGN Boards back in the day, it was ridiculous.

Thoraxes

Spiegel said:
Super Mario Sunshine - 280,610
Gamecube - 1,453,421
>19% attach rate

Doomed?
fernandorocker.jpg

I think he's still banned for that picture though.
Regardless, those UC numbers intrigue me too. I wonder how well the PC version of BF3 sold over there as well. Too bad we'll probably never see those numbers.

Wow! Great 3DS sales! PS3 slightly weaker despite strong U3 and BF3 sales. I suppose the gaijin already have their PS3s and don't need new ones.

pharmboy044 said:
Well, aren't there rumors that Sony is shipping around 500k to 600k Vitas for launch? If this is the case I see no issue in UC-GS selling over 100k.

It's golden abyss, not golden showers....although i do like those.

Pocks

Truth101 said:
Not that this means anything but if the 3DS install base was also 10,324,614 we could have theoretically seen 3D Land open at 1,507,393 units.

Depends all on appeal and how front-loaded 3D Land will be, but I predict good things in its future.

Edit

Fixed

This is a meaningless comparison though as it is all theoretical, and initial sell through of Mario titles usually pales in comparison to their legs.

Edit 2:

I'm just trying to show that sometimes comparing attach rates doesn't mean much.

Yeah, you're right. I just thought it was an interesting statistic.

My statement regarding attach rates and Nintendo being doomed were unrelated, though I did a poor job illustrating that. I intended the doomed comment to be a reflection on Nintendo's performance overall this week, not just the attach rate in two completely different scenarios (handheld vs. home console, large install base vs. small, etc.)

Really, what was meant to be an interesting post turned into a mess due to initially erroneous figures and a lack of clarity otherwise.

NIghtWolf

Michan said:
Launch window games are exceptions to this method of thinking.

And that leaves us with the other part of the thinking that is too many other games releasing for launch for people to pick up their less likely to pick up kinda genre-game. Just an opinion.

I can totally see it doing 75k tops in the best case but sure other people may have a better grasp at sales predictions and that stuff...

KingDizzi

Banned
French said:
3DS doesn't deserve those sales but that's pretty impressive.

animation12dzz.gif

Great 3DS and Mario numbers, honestly could not care less for a Mario game without Kart in the title but at least it pushes the install base for MHP3G!

Michan

NIghtWolf said:
And that leaves us with the other part of the thinking that is too many other games releasing for launch for people to pick up their less likely to pick up kinda genre-game. Just an opinion.

I can totally see it doing 75k tops in the best case but sure other people may have a better grasp at sales predictions and that stuff...
The "biggest" launch game always wins the prize, and other launch titles often win big, too. It's not uncommon for early adopters to buy 2 or more games with their new system.

EXGN

Holy crap, Japan really is warming up to shooters huh? Modern Warfare 3 is gonna be absolutely HUGE.

Michan

Boken said:
Pretty sure NSMB did a lot better than this!
Yeah, you're right. 3DS is doomed.

DS was at 14.5 million units when NSMB was released, with 865,024 during week 1.

Thoraxes

NSMB is still a monster worldwide though. Seriously, it is the prime example of an evergreen title if I've ever seen one.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Quadrangulum said:
Japan as a growth market for shooters is going to be interesting.

It's gonna suck if you don't particularly care for the genre, and you look to Japan to provide a refuge from what western developers have been doing...

French

Banned
Boken said:
Pretty sure NSMB did a lot better than this!

A lot better indeed, 900k. And it had a bigger effect on hardware sales.

Maybe people are getting tired of playing the same licences over and over again ? We'll see with MK.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Oh God, there's something beastly in the 3DS! Performance.
Only now I notice in the Pac Man, he sold the 66,6% of the overall hardware sales.
OMG :lol :lol :lol

EDIT: Look

005.gif

THE BEAAAAAAST

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
French said:

Maybe people are getting tired of playing the same licences over and over again ? We'll see with MK.

NSMB was released when the DS userbase was huge, SM3DL is not.

LOCK

Very good top 10 overall.

Would have loved to see DQ Slime do better, but oh wells. Now lets watch Marios legs till MK7 comes out.

Truth101

Banned
Sometimes I just wish mod would ban trolls from the media create threads.

Meltdowns are enjoyable and all, but trolls just get annoying.

Spiegel

Namco Bandai seems to be the only third party smart enough to exploit the huge, game-starved Wii userbase with party/familiar oriented games, which have always sold well there. They are probably the smartest company in Japan right now finding huge success in multiple consoles.

On an unrelated note, I don't think Mpl90 is going to survive the year.
He most likely will die from the excitement of seeing the 3DS sell >600k one of these next weeks.

Truth101 said:
Sometimes I just wish mod would ban trolls from the media create threads.

Meltdowns are enjoyable and all, but trolls just get annoying.
Same could be said for your ilk. When I see that cow, I know exactly what the post is gonna be.

Michan

French said:
Nope. DS was already experiencing great hardware sales. NSMB did almost double unit sales, though.

Truth101

Banned
LOCK said:
Very good top 10 overall.

Would have loved to see DQ Slime do better, but oh wells. Now lets watch Marios legs till MK7 comes out.

Slime Mori Mori 2 Opened at

with the DS LTD at

It also released in December, so considering that I would say that Slime Mori Mori 3 performed quite well.

Spiegel said:
Namco Bandai seems to be the only third party smart enough to exploit the huge, game-starved Wii userbase with party/familiar oriented games, which have always sold well there. They are probably the smartest company in Japan right now finding huge success in multiple consoles.

He most likely will die from the excitement of seeing the 3DS sell >600k one of these next weeks
My thought to, his/her overreactions put those of BP to shame! In a different way, but still...

French said:

There is a significant difference between 2D and 3D Mario. This is the best opening for a 3D Mario.

Cygnus X-1

slaughterking said:

You can underestimate whatever you want, but the Mario franchise you know. During the holiday season, the million bar will be easily broken and then it will keep selling for a lot of time. I would say 2 millions at least by the end of 2012 as minimum.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Spiegel said:

He most likely will die from the excitement of seeing the 3DS sell >600k one of these next weeks.

EHI!
You have only to do predictions about software, not about life of a person.
OK!?!??!?!!?
Thanks.

:p

Now, back to a "serious" note.

20./00. [3DS] Nicola Kanshuu: Model Oshare Audition 2 <SLG> (Alchemist) {2011.11.03} (¥5.980) - 6.643 / NEW
[NDS] Nicola Kanshuu: Model Oshare Audition (Alchemist) - 17.295 / 108.333 / 15,96% 01/04/10

Eh, it's a casual title, on a console which will see an install base explosion. It should do in line with the first.

07./00. [3DS] Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime 3 <RPG> (Square Enix) {2011.11.02} (¥6.090) - 38.859 / NEW
[GBA] Dragon Quest: Slime Morimori (Square Enix) - 67.797 / 346.190 / 19,58% 14/11/03
[NDS] Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (Square Enix) - 43.995 / 293.970 / 14,97% 01/12/05

Again losing some sales, but not as much as the second. So, it seems the high hardware sales worked for it.

Poor Azito 3D, instead :(

And I have to quote you about Namco: they did a complete 180 degrees turn of thinking: now they're collectiong successes on successes, with the right software on the right hardware.
Guys, they're having very good results even on the Wii in 2011.
On the Wii.
In 2011.

P.S. walking, I'm a male. XD
P.P.S. walking, you offend me saying I put on shame BP's efforts, even if in a different way.
Really.
But, seeing what you're saying, I'll learn... staying much more calm is the key. :p

Mpl90 said:
Pac Man is back

http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20111108015/TN/005.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Mpl90]Oh God, there's something beastly in the 3DS! Performance.
Only now I notice in the Pac Man, he sold the [B]66,6%[/B] of the overall hardware sales.
OMG :lol :lol :lol

EDIT: Look

[IMG]http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20111108015/TN/005.gif[IMG]

THE BEAAAAAAST[/QUOTE]

This guy is almost orgasming over 3DS sales, maybe you can post the chart a couple more times?

Anyways, what COD4, MW2 and BLOPS first week's number? I'm wondering if it can sell 200 or 300k first week.

Michan said:
Yeah, you're right. 3DS is doomed.

DS was at 14.5 million units when NSMB was released, with 865,024 during week 1.
Your DS numbers are way off man. At the end of 2005 DS was only at 5.6 and didn't reach even 14 million until the end of 2006 or even later. By the end of April it was a little over 7.6 million and for some reason the MC threads don't have much info but it probably was around 8.2 million the week the game launched with the massive hardware boost it received. So yeah if you're looking proportionally it did about the same but that really isn't a good way of thinking about these sorts of things. Most likely it will end up selling more like the 3D games than the 2D ones although probably a bit better. I'd say it'll end up somewhere between 1.5-2 million when all's said and done.

Cygnus X-1 said:
You can underestimate whatever you want, but the Mario franchise you know. During the holiday season, the million bar will be easily broken and then it will keep selling for a lot of time. I would say 2 millions at least by the end of 2012 as minimum.
There are Mario games and there are Mario games. Not all of them are equal when it comes to sales and for a 3D Mario it would be unprecedented to sell well beyond even just 1 million units.
3D Land is off to a very good start, but there's nothing indicating it'll have some insane legs that'll quintuple its first week sales.

Alrus

slaughterking said:
There are Mario games and there are Mario games. Not all of them are equal when it comes to sales and for a 3D Mario it would be unprecedented to sell well beyond even just 1 million units.
3D Land is off to a good start, but there's nothing indicating this it'll have some insane legs that'll quintuple its first week sales.

Check Mario 64 (both versions) for a 3D title going beyond 1 mil. There's a big probability that 3D Land will sell much better than the Galaxy games.

Truth101

Banned
slaughterking said:
3D Land is off to a very good start, but there's nothing indicating it'll have some insane legs that'll quintuple its first week sales.

Exactly this is a new type of Mario game, so no one can make predictions on how well it will sell. Just thaat it will sell well.

Let us wait a few weeks and see what type of legs it has first.

Edit:

Do we know how many copies Nintendo shipped of Mario 3D Land?

Top Bottom