• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2011 (Nov 07 - Nov 13)

BishopLamont said:
Not to mention..what 3DS titles? The ones that are meant to sell are selling the way its suppose to.
Exactly, I doubt anyone apart from an idiot would've thought any other 3ds titles would've made this weeks top 20

saichi

Type-0 has a much better leg than I expected although it won't change my prediction of 800K-850K LT. Instead of finishing closer to 800K, it will finish closer to 850K.

The drop for Mario is understandable. It will have slower drop for the next couple weeks before rising again in December.

UC3 has a bigger drop than BF3. That's kind of unexpected.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
JoshuaJSlone said:
"Finally, some company!"
1730+-+Metal+Gear+Solid%3A+The+Twin+Snakes+-+GCN

That's a bad one. The GBA and DS ones dropped quite a bit less in week two, though the timing of the DS one being in early December probably helped those next few weeks.

A million over the next 7 weeks is cake.

The DS one has been released a week earlier than Mario Kart DS, which made the console rise from 160k to almost 300k.
That's why Slime Mori Mori didn't drop so much. It's a title which run the momentum of the hardware, it'll have serious legs this Holiday :D

Dedication Through Light said:
Thats like 157K each week which is more than the system sold on the week of its price drop.
NO it sold more than that price drop week also there's nothing that makes sales of everything go through the roof in December is there?

saichi

Dedication Through Light said:
Thats like 157K each week which is more than the system sold on the week of its price drop.

It's like you never read historical December numbers in Japan and/or don't understand Japanese market at all.

Mpl90

saichi said:
It's like you never read historical December numbers in Japan and/or don't understand Japanese market at all.

I think both are pretty spot on.

BadWolf said:
Any chance of a neck and neck race between the Vita and 3DS? I would really like that.

At some point I would have said yes to this question, but the 3DS is going to have a solid 3mil lead in HW and the major titles are just starting to roll in. The PSV just doesn't have the software to compete with the likes of Monster Hunter, Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Resident Evil, Luigi's Mansion, Kingdom Hearts, Inazuma Eleven, and whatever else is coming out in the next 6 months.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
BadWolf said:
Any chance of a neck and neck race between the Vita and 3DS? I would really like that.
the 3DS has mario, mario kart, and monster hunter Tri G. what do you think?

test_account

XP-39C²
BadWolf said:
I doubt it. The 3DS has a 9-10 month head start and it is about 40% cheaper than the cheapest Vita model (WiFi only).

But it doesnt matter much in my opinion if the Vita and 3DS isnt neck in neck. I'm sure that both systems will sell great.

duckroll

saichi said:
Type-0 has a much better leg than I expected although it won't change my prediction of 800K-850K LT. Instead of finishing closer to 800K, it will finish closer to 850K.

Why would you say that? Based on the legs so far, it might not even get to 800k.

saichi

duckroll said:
Why would you say that? Based on the legs so far, it might not even get to 800k.

I believed in December magic and thought Type-0 would follow the steps of Crisis Core to 800K.

Alrus

Huge drop for Rocket Slime :( Hope it picks up in the upcoming weeks...

Nice hold for the 3DS, only a few more weeks before the big ones drop.

Mpl90 said:
3DS - 103.962
NDS - 53.948

If I have JJS's thingy (weekly, cumulative) done right -- lemme know if I did something dumb like with the start dates^_^ -- then 3DS is less than 100k behind NDS now (~2.45m vs 2.49m), as long as MC isn't wildly different this week than Famitsu. Assuming a similar or better result this coming week, launch-aligned crossover should happen then or the week after. Is that a correct reading of the situation?

edit: $post=~s/will/should/g;

Chris check your inbox please.

Spiegel said:
Chris, I'm re-reading old M-C threads (mainly November-December '05) and I've found that this link 'Media Create Sales: Week 47, 2005 (Nov 21 - Nov 27)' goes to this thread and not the actual weekly thread.
I've been going through them too and there's a few that link to nonexistent topics. I just forgot to mention them.

saichi said:
I believed in December magic and thought Type-0 would follow the steps of Crisis Core to 800K.
December doesn't boost every game's sales and Type-0 is performing nothing like Crisis Core, more like the rest of the titles.

Road

GameplayWhore said:
If I have JJS's thingy (weekly, cumulative) done right -- lemme know if I did something dumb like with the start dates^_^ -- then 3DS is less than 100k behind NDS now (~2.45m vs 2.49m), as long as MC isn't wildly different this week than Famitsu. Assuming a similar or better result this coming week, launch-aligned crossover should happen then or the week after. Is that a correct reading of the situation?

edit: $post=~s/will/should/g;
You're missing the first week for the DS (and the 3DS first week is actually 02-21, but I see Garaph is auto-correcting that).

Other than that, Mpl90 is comparing 2005 to 2011, not launch-aligned, which means he should be comparing:

3DS - 103.962
NDS - 48.342

Road said:
You're missing the first week for the DS (and the 3DS first week is actually 02-21, but I see Garaph is auto-correcting that).

Other than that, Mpl90 is comparing 2005 to 2011, not launch-aligned, which means he should be comparing:

3DS - 103.962
NDS - 48.342

Okay, thanks for that. :)

Road said:
Yeah, it goes with whatever the first week is that starts after the input date. The linecompare page does have a list of system-launching weeks on the top-right to help get the right starting points.

I still can't believe Sony let Nintendo steal MH from them, its their only saving card in the immediate future. It sends such a huge message that can't ever be taken back. Yes, yes MH3tri on the Wii, this is not comparable at all.

BishopLamont said:
I still can't believe Sony let Nintendo steal MH from them, its their only saving card in the immediate future. It sends such a huge message that can't ever be taken back. Yes, yes MH3tri on the Wii, this is not comparable at all.
It probably boils down to nintendo's pockets simply being deeper

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
For a moment X360 was alive.

P.S. Please stop posting the new numbers at the old thread. It doesn't take me more than 2 minutes to start the new thread and that's if I don't match some names automatically.

qq more

BishopLamont said:
Yeah, I'm surprised that Sony let that happened. I hope Vita gets something huge to make it relevant in both the western and eastern regions. Especially the west, considering how much of a disaster the software sales were on the PSP.

frankie_baby said:
It probably boils down to nintendo's pockets simply being deeper
Also Capcom's greed. They'll be eating from two dishes, the only real loser here is Sony. Even when MH4 comes out for both consoles, the massive userbase the that's built on the 3DS from MH3triG is going to overwhelm the negligible graphical differences the VITA has over the 3DS. Such a win this early in the gen is brilliant move by Nintendo. They simply have Japan on lock.

Spiegel said:
Sony is counting on Capcom creating another multimillion selling franchise on their platform, just like Resident Evil, Onimusha, Devil May Cry and Monster Hunter happened in the past.

This new franchise will be later dropped or will go Nintendo exclusive in the next-next gen.
I can't see any game going totally exclusive this gen, unless its a first party game, or a niche game, any break out game will come to both consoles. The only thing stopping the DS from getting PSP exclusives is the graphical/horsepower factor. This is simply not true anymore.

qq more said:
Yeah, I'm surprised that Sony let that happened. I hope Vita gets something huge to make it relevant in both the western and eastern regions. Especially the west, considering how much of a disaster the software sales were on the PSP.
Western countries, especially the USA are primarily home-console based. VITA needs strong first party that are mainstream similiar to Nintendo's games if they want to compete. I have no idea why Sony chooses to go all out "next-gen" graphics for every game, as diversified as their lineup are, it simply lacks mainstream appeal that is comparable to Nintendo. Would it really kill them to make a Mario copy cat that is of high quality?

Spiegel

BishopLamont said:

Sony is counting on Capcom creating another multimillion selling franchise on their platform, just like Resident Evil, Onimusha, Devil May Cry and Monster Hunter happened in the past.

This new franchise will be later dropped or will go Nintendo exclusive in the next-next gen.

Chris1964 said:
For a moment X360 was alive.

P.S. Please stop posting the new numbers at the old thread. It doesn't take me more than 2 minutes to start the new thread and that's if I don't match some names automatically.

Sorry, I didn't think you would be that fast

test_account

XP-39C²
BishopLamont said:
I can't see any game going totally exclusive this gen, unless its a first party game, or a niche game, any break out game will come to both consoles. The only thing stopping the DS from getting PSP exclusives is the graphical/horsepower factor. This is simply not true anymore.
TriG confirmed for Vita? ;)

BishopLamont said:

Spoils of the war

Really though it all boils down to whether third parties want one console dominating or not, and if you look at the PSP lineup, it seems many Japanese developers want the PSP to be the niche machine still, so we'll see how it plays out.

test_account said:
TriG confirmed for Vita? ;)
Too little, too late. Tri is Nintendo's now.

Spiegel said:

Heh. Devil May Cry and Onimusha are on a bit of a different level, though.
MHP3

BishopLamont said:
Also Capcom's greed. They'll be eating from two dishes, the only real loser here is Sony. Even when MH4 comes out for both consoles, the massive userbase the that's built on the 3DS from MH3triG is going to overwhelm the negligible graphical differences the VITA has over the 3DS. Such a win this early in the gen is brilliant move by Nintendo. They simply have Japan on lock.

However 3rd parties will only make games multiplatform as long as the other platform (vita) is relevant, nintendo's apparent "exclusivity" for monster hunter was most likely a move designed to try and make vita irrelevant as soon as possible, will it succeed? The next few months should be very telling

JoshuaJSlone said:
Heh. Devil May Cry and Onimusha are on a bit of a different level, though.
Also this, has any third party game ever been at the magnitude of MH besides DQ? That is also Nintendo's.

Nope 3M+, 4M, 5M+ all belong to Nintendo, MH, DQ, I should really know this without even checking, but its a surprise each time I do.

Jesus Christ at that MH line. Ascension to heaven.

Oh God didn't notice the "whole franchise" vs MHP3, this really needs the smiley emote back.

frankie_baby said:
However 3rd parties will only make games multiplatform as long as the other platform (vita) is relevant, nintendo's apparent "exclusivity" for monster hunter was most likely a move designed to try and make vita irrelevant as soon as possible, will it succeed? The next few months should be very telling
I have a feeling Nintendo's own first party is a double edge sword that will scare alot of third parties away, as everyone knows it dominates their consoles. Its tough to be a niche third party right now I would think.

BishopLamont said:
Also this, has any third party game ever been at the magnitude of MH besides DQ? That is also Nintendo's.

I have a feeling Nintendo's own first party is a double edge sword that will scare alot of third parties away, as everyone knows it dominates their consoles. Its tough to be a niche third party right now I would think.
Though a Lot of third party games did very well on the ds so they do know there is plenty money for them on nintendo systems when they get it right

frankie_baby said:
Though a Lot of third party games did very well on the ds so they do know there is plenty money for them on nintendo systems when they get it right
Most of them are breakout hits or top third party titles from top third parties, its the niche traditional 100k and 200k games that are on the PSP that have strived on the platform and as a result has sold more than it would have on the DS, due to more exposure with the nonexistent consistent megasellers that the DS has, whereas the DS didn't get too many of them simply because of the graphics factor. I'm kinda talking out of my ass, as I haven't really double checked the data to back it up, but through these years of sales age thats the general feeling I get. Its also 5AM here, so I'll leave this to another day.

Celine

Spiegel said:

Onimusha actually began life on the N64 with the codename Ninja.
To bad it was later moed to PS1 and finally released on PS2.

Also RE and MH magnitude can't be comparad to DMC or Onimusha.

Mpl90

Celine said:

Really? I didn't know that!

test_account

XP-39C²
BishopLamont said:
Too little, too late. Tri is Nintendo's now.
But then it is true exclusive, and it is not 1st party or niche hehe ;) I'm just joking a bit hehe. But i agree, i think we will see fewer exclusive games for handheld games this time around.

Mpl90

Chris1964 said:
After MH3G, Inazuma Eleven Go initial shipment is rumored to have cut in half too, from 400k to 200k.

Oooooh, come on now, guys.
Even if I think Capcom adjusted the shipment, since it's back for preordering on Amazon.
Come on, Level 5, COME ON!!!

Edit: Source of the rumor?

frankie_baby said:
BishopLamont said:
Most of them are breakout hits or top third party titles from top third parties, its the niche traditional 100k and 200k games that are on the PSP that have strived on the platform and as a result has sold more than it would have on the DS, due to more exposure with the nonexistent consistent megasellers that the DS has
So this is a bit of a simplistic search that's going to miss some things that would be included with budget releases, or include budget releases of bigger games, and whatever else, but looking at

Third party PSP games between 100K and 200K: 89
Third party DS games between 100K and 200K: 109

The difference used to be bigger, but PSP has continued racking them up this year while DS hasn't.

Of course, what the games from either list would've done if moved to the opposite platform is a whole other ball of wax.

Takao

Banned
Go, go Over My Dead Body Portable! You won't outsell the original PSone game, but the results are good!

Spiegel

Celine said:

I was joking about the incompetence of SCEJ

You'll think they'll have an easier time persuading third parties this time. For example, the new Gundam Vs Gundam could have been a cross platform game between PS3 and Vita (launch title) or why is the sequel of the awful LoA a Vita/PSP game while God Eater 2 is a psp exclusive or why RE:Revelations doesn't have a Vita version if it's made with the MT Framework Portable engine.

Top Bottom