• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 46, 2011 (Nov 14 - Nov 20)

Aru

[3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) - 320k
[WII] Itadaki Street Wii (Square Enix) - 66k
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. (Bandai Namco Games) - 284k
[PS3] Assassin's Creed: Revelations (Ubisoft) - 52k

Well I would wait for FF13-2 to make a call, but it seems like Japan is telling devs "fool me once"....
Japan has scores to settle with Level-5...and Square-Enix.FFXIII-2 is going to be the next victim.On the bright side,Gundam will put up impressive numbers.

Everything else seems fine (MK,MH,Orochi 2,Blazblue...)

How is the 3DS/NDS race ?
-The 3DS is performing very well.

Media%2BCreate_thumb.jpg

-However,right now there's a huge disconnect between hardware and software sales,thus it is hard to make short term predictions.

Enterbrain: 3DS Hardware Sales Beat Software Sales 2 to 1 in October

-In the case of DS, hardware sales skyrocketed when software sales went berserk in 2005. In fact, according to Famitsu (TOP 30), nearly 5 millon copies of DS games were sold in the last six weeks of that year.

Do people think PS3 will be up YOY by week 52?
-FY is more interesting.The PS3 needs to sell 1.7 million.So far,the price cut is performing well within Sony's expectations.

FY_thumb.jpg

-Software Sales

JAP%2Bvs%2BUK_thumb.jpg

JAP%2Bvs%2BUK%2BS_thumb.jpg

TOP%2B30%2BCY_thumb.jpg

TOP%2B30%2BFY_thumb.jpg

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The rise of 3DS sales can be seen also on Amazon, where almost all the SKUS are in top 20.

White - 8
Blue - 15
Pink - 19
Red - 20
Black - 22

Honestly, this happens with just about every big release in Japan.

Yeah, this is true. The 2nd hand market in Japan is absolutely massive! Nothing survives unscathed and you can honestly find just about any game you can think of on 2nd hand shelves. When I was in Tokyo back in March this year, I had absolutely no trouble finding second hand copies of Band Bros (a DS launch title) and its expansion pack alongside 2nd hand 3DS games which were newly released (not to mention endless supplies of NES, SNES, GB games etc :D )

Their 2nd hand stores simply put the US and UK to shame.

[3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) - 412k
[WII] Itadaki Street Wii (Square Enix) - 61k
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. (Bandai Namco Games) - 293k
[PS3] Assassin's Creed: Revelations (Ubisoft) - 49k

Mpl90

Comgnet Daily Preorder Ranking

[3DS] Monster 3G (Limited Edition) - 759pt
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 476pt
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam VS Extreme - 437pt
[3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 241pt
[3DS] Monster 3G (slide pad Bundle) - 229pt
[PS3] Armored Core 5 - 134Pt
[PS3] OG Super Robot Taisen 2 - 106pt
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIIIヴェルサス - 95Pt
[PSP] Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's PORTABLE-THE GEARS OF DESTINY-GOD BOX Limited Edition - 92pt
[PS3] BLAZBLUE CONTINUUM SHIFT EXTEND - 63pt
[PS3] OROCHI 2 Warriors (Limited Edition) - 63pt
[PSP] To Aru Kagaku no Railgun (Limited Edition) - 56Pt
[PSV] GOLF6 everyone - 52pt
[PSP] Kamen Rider Climax Heroes for zero - 50pt
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven GO Shine - 43pt
[PS3] Assassin's Creed configuration Liberate - 41pt
[NDS] peaked witch hat and stylish - 39pt
[PSP] BOX ☆ limitation agreement portable Madoka Magika Maho Shojo (Full, Limited Edition) - 39pt
[PSV] Uncharted beginning of an adventure without a map - 37pt
[PS3] Ultimate Blast Dragon Ball - 37pt

MH3G - 988pt
MH3 - 713pt

Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 476pt
Final Fantasy XIII - 1565pt

Mario Kart 7 - 241pt
Mario Kart Wii - 357pt

Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine - 43pt
Inazuma Eleven Go: Dark - less than 37pt
Inazuma Eleven 3: Bomber - 99pt
Inazuma Eleven 3: Sparks - 97pt
Inazuma Eleven 2: Fire - 50pt
Inazuma Eleven 2: Blizzard - 35pt

For MK and Inazuma, there's to say that these are titles which have a ratio Comgnet pt / thousands sold much lower than one: so, there are less preorders than what they sell in the first week. This is a characteristic of more "mass audience" titles, and this particularity is increased due to the little install base of the console, so not many people preordering.

...Monster Hunter 3G, however, is destroying this rule, since today officially surpassed what MH3 did in its whole life on Comgnet: 981pt. The series is REALLY better on portable series.

For FFXIII-2, instead... eh, someone light the Wada signal, cause we have huge problems.

Comgnet Weekly Sales Chart

[PSP] Seventh Dragon 2020 (Limited Edition) - 330pt
[Wii] The Legend of Zelda Sword Ward Sky (with a special CD) - 236pt
[PS3] Saint Seiya Wing (Limited Edition) - 157pt
[PS3] Metal Gear Solid HD Edition - 109pt
[PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Subtitled) - 95pt
[PSP] Pop'n Music Portable 2 - 75pt
[PSP] Boost Cardboard Senki - 73pt
[PS3] The Queen of Country White Ash Nino - 72pt
[PSP] special government agencies Seventh Dragon 2020 "cloud masses" set decoration only - 69pt
[3DS] 3D Super Mario Land - 68pt
[NDS] One Piece Gigant Battle the New World 2 (Limited Edition) - 65pt
[Wii] Zelda 25 Pack anniversary Sky Sword Legend of Zelda Sword - 63pt
[PSP] Weiss Schwarz Weiss Climax Portable Boost Box - 46pt
[Wii] Wii version of Taiko no Tatsujin definitive software separately - 43pt
[PSP] Portable Boost Weiss Schwarz Weiss - 35pt
[PS3] PS3 Sengoku BASARA3 Feast - 34pt
[Wii] Kirby of the Stars Wii - 29pt
[PSP] Final Fantasy Zero formula - 28pt
[PSP] Schwarz Weiss Schwarz boost Climax Portable Box - 28pt
[NDS] debut manga Aim for the Kingdom as well my love! LOVE pounding lesson - 27pt

Ninokuni does about half of what it did last week. Normally, RPGs tend to do much lower than their first week... legs incoming?

LBX, the original, did 200pt and more for its first week... while Boost does 73pt

Super Mario 3D Land - 68pt
Super Mario Galaxy 2 fourth week - 78pt

If 3D Land follows the same ratio of last week, it'll have a 48-50k fourth week.
If it follows Galaxy 2's one, 45k.

-However,right now there's a huge disconnect between hardware and software sales,thus it is hard to make short term predictions.

Enterbrain: 3DS Hardware Sales Beat Software Sales 2 to 1 in October

-In the case of DS, hardware sales skyrocketed when software sales went berserk in 2005. In fact, according to Famitsu (TOP 30), nearly 5 millon copies of DS games were sold in the last six weeks of that year.

Maybe i'm thinking about this the wrong way but that seems like a good thing for the 3DS. It's HW is already spiking before the big hitters come along. So it kinda bodes well for what will happen when they actually release.

Kenka

[3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) - 373737k
[WII] Itadaki Street Wii (Square Enix) - 73k
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. (Bandai Namco Games) - 272k
[PS3] Assassin's Creed: Revelations (Ubisoft) - 72k

Mpl90

Simply, Parmenides didn' thought that

1) October saw almost no releases for 3DS
2) The software count consider only the games in Famitsu top30, so not what's outside of it
And, above all...
3) November is VERY different from October...it seems he's missing the current month!

BurntPork

Banned
Simply, Parmenides didn' thought that

1) October saw almost no releases for 3DS
2) The software count consider only the games in Famitsu top30, so not what's outside of it
And, above all...
3) November is VERY different from October...it seems he's missing the current month!

And 4) The used market.

But really, we already know he's biased. He'll be the one here trying to prove how Vita beat 3DS this holiday.

Erethian

How does that work? Are people really just buying it in preperaion for Monster Hunter or do they like Face Raider that much?

Think it was Chris who mentioned it, but the October software sales are for top 30 so don't include off-chart sales.

But yes, people are also buying the system in preparation for the upcoming lineup.

AniHawk

Im more interested in just how hot a start the Vita will have. The first 2 or 3 months.

it'll probably do very well for itself, if the psp is any indication.

yeah, yeah, the ps2 -> ps3 transition and ds -> 3ds transitions weren't all that smooth, but i don't think the absence of monster hunter is as big a problem as people are making it out to be.

Spiegel

...Monster Hunter 3G, however, is destroying this rule, since today officially surpassed what MH3 did in its whole life on Comgnet: 981pt. The series is REALLY better on portable series.

MH was still a growing franchise when MHTri was released.
MHP3 has sold ~4.6M, MHP2G, however, had sold "only" 3.5M by the end of August 2009 (MHTri release).

Mpl90

Azalyn's shipment forecast

[PS3] Gundam Extreme Vs - 500k
[PS3] Tekken Hybrid - 60k
[PS3] Assassin's Creed Revelations - 90k
[Wii] Itadaki Street - 200k
[3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 750k
[PS3] Dragon Ball: Ultimate Blast - 120k
[PS3] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 100k
[3DS] Monster Hunter 3G - 400k
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 1 million
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go - 200k
[PS3] Musou Orochi 2 - 350k
[3DS] SD Gundam G Generation 3D - 150k

Two things: do we know how much Nintendo shipped for MKWii? Because retailers said that MK7 would have had a shipment lower than MKWii and similar to 3D Land.

...And that for MH3G and IE he's reporting what we've heard so far... remember what happened with MHP3rd...

PREDICTIONS
[3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) - 523k
[WII] Itadaki Street Wii (Square Enix) - 45k
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. (Bandai Namco Games) - 390k
[PS3] Assassin's Creed: Revelations (Ubisoft) - 61k

Mpl90

First shipment for MH3G still seems stupidly conservative... I don't get it.

These are only forecasts and, in the specific case of MH, what we've already heard from other retailers some time ago.
The fact is that something similar happened with MHP3rd: he forecasted / reported a possible first shipment of one million... but then, due to the insanely huge preorders, Capcom shipped 2.3 millions.

I'm almost sure that the same will happen: Comgnet in this case is useful, and it's reporting a MH3G already over what MH3 did in its whole period of preordering, on a console with less than 3 millions of userbase.

And also Mario Kart is strange, given what has been said earlier in the thread.

Azalyn's shipment forecast

[PS3] Gundam Extreme Vs - 500k
[PS3] Tekken Hybrid - 60k
[PS3] Assassin's Creed Revelations - 90k
[Wii] Itadaki Street - 200k
[3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 750k
[PS3] Dragon Ball: Ultimate Blast - 120k
[PS3] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 100k
[3DS] Monster Hunter 3G - 400k
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 1 million
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go - 200k
[PS3] Musou Orochi 2 - 350k
[3DS] SD Gundam G Generation 3D - 150k

Two things: do we know how much Nintendo shipped for MKWii? Because retailers said that MK7 would have had a shipment lower than MKWii and similar to 3D Land.

...And that for MH3G and IE he's reporting what we've heard so far... remember what happened with MHP3rd...
Ff13-2 heading for yet another price collapse?

saichi

A little ambitious, maybe, but I don't think it will have a problem selling that much at all.
FFXIII's initial shipment was almost double that, IIRC.

It might still sell through that first shipment, however that got to be much lower than what everyone expected.

When FFXIII-2 was first announced, I though it would open close to 1 million and maybe head to 1.3-1.4 mil LT then the expectation was lowered to 800K and 1.1-1.2 mil. Now I'm thinking 650K and a long shot at 1 mil.

When FF XIII-2 was announced, we knew it will decline from FFXIII but I don't think anyone expects it to struggle to sell 1 mil LT since it is considered a mainline FF game.

[PS3] Gundam Extreme Vs - 500k - achievable
[PS3] Tekken Hybrid - 60k - fair?
[PS3] Assassin's Creed Revelations - 90k - probably a bit low, 100k are a lock
[Wii] Itadaki Street - 200k - probably it'll done thos numbers during the holidays
[3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 750k - very high!
[PS3] Dragon Ball: Ultimate Blast - 120k - fair
[PS3] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 100k - mmh I expect a bit more from that
[3DS] Monster Hunter 3G - 400k - too low for the first week... 550k seems better
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 1 million - discounted after one day
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go - 200k - seems ok
[PS3] Musou Orochi 2 - 350k - too high
[3DS] SD Gundam G Generation 3D - 150k - too high

Alrus

SD Gundam seems about right to me, it obviously won't sell through it in the first week but those game always sell decently in the end.

These are only forecasts and, in the specific case of MH, what we've already heard from other retailers some time ago.
The fact is that something similar happened with MHP3rd: he forecasted / reported a possible first shipment of one million... but then, due to the insanely huge preorders, Capcom shipped 2.3 millions.

The problem with increasing shipments late in the day for 3DS games vs PSP games is the production turnaround on carts vs UMDs. I can imagine the logistics & cost of turning out an extra few hundred thousand printings of MH3G being significantly more complicated/expensive than doing the same for MHP3rd.

What puzzles me is why Nintendo and Capcom have let this happen - this isn't some third-tier release getting squeezed out of the production queue in a busy period, this is the third-party title this holiday (and arguably the handheld title, full-stop).

Mpl90

The problem with increasing shipments late in the day for 3DS games vs PSP games is the production turnaround on carts vs UMDs. I can imagine the logistics & cost of turning out an extra few hundred thousand printings of MH3G being significantly more complicated/expensive than doing the same for MHP3rd.

What puzzles me is why Nintendo and Capcom have let this happen - this isn't some third-tier release getting squeezed out of the production queue in a busy period, this is the third-party title this holiday (and arguably the handheld title, full-stop).

I think printing additional carts would be not so more complicated. However, Capcom has to increase the shipment, and I think they'll do it: preorders from customers seem to be very high.

I think printing additional carts would be not so more complicated. However, Capcom has to increase the shipment, and I think they'll do it: preorders from customers seem to be very high.

ISTR complaints from third parties about long lead-times and costs involved in production runs, and the difficulty of turning around fresh runs to satisfy unexpected demand (I'm sure there are some Sales-Agers who could point to a few DS titles that likely saw their sales stunted by this). Capcom are in a slightly different position - they're not responding to post-launch demand, but pre-launch - and the fact that this is MH and not "Cherry Blossom Moe Death Twins 6 Ultra" probably gives them a bit more sway with Nintendo, but I still wonder how quickly they can get extra shipments out there.

Mpl90

ISTR complaints from third parties about long lead-times and costs involved in production runs, and the difficulty of turning around fresh runs to satisfy unexpected demand (I'm sure there are some Sales-Agers who could point to a few DS titles that likely saw their sales stunted by this). Capcom are in a slightly different position - they're not responding to post-launch demand, but pre-launch - and the fact that this is MH and not "Cherry Blossom Moe Death Twins 6 Ultra" probably gives them a bit more sway with Nintendo, but I still wonder how quickly they can get extra shipments out there.

No, I remember some of those discussions, especially for FFIII and Dragon Quest Monster: Joker... but I also think that times have surely changed.
Yes, we're in the beginning of a new generation again, but Nintendo has grown, has changed some of its policies, so I don't think they're unprepared to these happenings as before.

No, I remember some of those discussions, especially for FFIII and Dragon Quest Monster: Joker... but I also think that times have surely changed.
Yes, we're in the beginning of a new generation again, but Nintendo has grown, has changed some of its policies, so I don't think they're unprepared to these happenings as before.

I'd certainly hope so, and it will be interesting to see how similar situations pan out from here on. Also worth noting that these problems may well affect Sony as well, given their move to solid-state for Vita.

Takao

Banned
I remember SMT: Strange Journey dropping likes an insane 90% in its second week because stock was super low, and obviously an ATLUS game isn't going to get priority at Nintendo HQ.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Uncharted beginning of an adventure without a map

Best title ever.

Mpl90

I'm putting this here since it's sales related.
It seems there are new games announced on Famitsu, already leaked.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec2.0 scheduled for 2/2
Samurai Warriors 3Z Special for PSP, as well as a new Steins for the platform
...And what I believe it is the most useless PSP Remaster of all time:Dynasty Warriors Multiraid 2 HD :lol

P.S. It seems Skyrim joins DAT group, a first for a Western game.

Mpl90

Oh well, it seems Vita will have a good February for quantity.

Release dates from Famitsu

{2012.02.02}

[PS3] Gran Turismo 5 Spec 2 (SCE)

{2011.02.09}

[PSV] Sumioni (Acquire)

{2012.02.16}

[PSP] Samurai Warriors 3Z Special (Tecmo Koei)

{2012.02.xx}

[PSV] Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus (Tecmo Koei)

{2012.03.xx}

[3DS] Dynasty Warriors Vs (Tecmo Koei)

Sumioni and Ninja Gaiden have zero importance on the market.

Anyway, the problem with that high shipment for XIII-2 is also that it won't benefit from the holiday period as all the other games.

Top Bottom