• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 47, 2013 (Nov 18 - Nov 24)

You should look at other Nintendo titles and get back to us.

wiiu games with the best fw to ltd multipliers so far are (famitsu)

nintendoland 4.6
nsmbu 3.75
nslu 3.0

3dworld would need a 4.67 multiplier to break 500k

I wonder if eventually people will stop looking to predict wiiu performance based on wii/ds/3ds history.

There has been a couple of "milestones" talked about for wiiu's 2013 total. One being it's 2012 total (4 weeks of sales) the other being the vitas 2012 total.

Prior to 3dworld bombing i thought it would pass them but now i think it might not even get there.

crinale

You should look at other Nintendo titles and get back to us.

It's not 3D world nor it's Wii U. It's the Japanese market that is losing interest in platformer as a whole, along with gaming console itself. Of course WiiU install base tanking isn't helping either.

On a somewhat related note, I wonder what install base will it take to get Japanese developers to be seriously interested in the Wii U. A 2 million install base? 3 million? More?

Number is irrelevant as long as that userbase refuses to buy 3rd party games when they are releassed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The original article was from Diamond Magazine that had more details like where the money came from, but you have to pay to read web version.

As for brief excerpt I found a newspaper article below.

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/smp/west/west_economy/news/131106/wec13110617050005-s.htm

Edit: Found an summary of the original article (in Japanese).
http://kotetsu.game-waza.net/ゲーム売上・考察/カプコン「モンハン4」の利益40億円を投じスマホ向け

Edit2: There a direct link to Diamond Magazine's article within above page if any of you are subscribers just in case.
The article is saying that Capcom is trying to strengthen the weakest area, by using its profit (that is from Monster Hunter, for this year).. And now Capcom's weakest area is mobile games, so they say within the article.

Thank you!

I made a clone here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=726520

Hey, they bought MonHun 3G, and that was a port of a port.

That was also worst performance for MH3 game on any platform

Look at Mario U, increased sales by 42% from previous week due to 3D World release

I didn't mean it will reach 500k by the end of the year, but I expect to see 3D World still selling on next Golden Week

It's bundled with nearly every Wii U sold - if you look at MC number which doesn't track download cards the standalone version jumped by few hundreds pcs maybe.

The original article was from Diamond Magazine that had more details like where the money came from, but you have to pay to read web version.

As for brief excerpt I found a newspaper article below.

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/smp/west/west_economy/news/131106/wec13110617050005-s.htm

Edit: Found an summary of the original article (in Japanese).
http://kotetsu.game-waza.net/ゲーム売上・考察/カプコン「モンハン4」の利益40億円を投じスマホ向け

Edit2: There a direct link to Diamond Magazine's article within above page if any of you are subscribers just in case.
The article is saying that Capcom is trying to strengthen the weakest area, by using its profit (that is from Monster Hunter, for this year).. And now Capcom's weakest area is mobile games, so they say within the article.

Yeah, I'm a subscriber. That summary captures the gist of it.

extralite

I've heard there were also Heat waves in Japan last week.
That joke is getting really old. I also don't see how it relates to what I wrote. Unlike a heat wave the used market and lack of 3rd party games / steady releases will not go away. Wii U is in a terrible spot to sell to core gamers.

The WiiU HW is way too expensive to be viable for the casual market though. It was sold at a loss when it was 350 and because only Nintendo buys most of the components they will probably not go down in price any time soon.
Price still is a big hurdle, definitely. Yet the casual market remains more viable than the core market, as seen in the slightly less terrible results.

It will take time for the price to go down but casual gamers will likely stay with their Wii in the meantime. Unless Sony can win some with the PS4.

The WiiU is low power, but for a handheld device it is insanely high power. A tablet usually peaks at 8 watts while the WiiU uses 32 watts. If they somehow managed to to lower that to 22 watts including the screen it would drain the iPad 4 battery (43Wh) in just under two hours and need fan cooling similar to a laptop (slim ultrabooks have 17W CPUs). The iPad 4 is pretty much a battery with a screen under the hood:
RMheXXa1xPxyPlhq.medium

It's a modern day Saturn and the faster Nintendo makes a Dreamcast the better.
Well I was under the impression power consumption was even lower than that but if they will turn the Wii U into a handheld they will have to further optimize hardware obviously. Maybe it's not really a possibility after all.

But I wasn't the one to suggest it here anyway. The general idea must be that all the recent Nintendo handhelds were based on former console hardware and 3DS is already the same processor family as Wii and Wii U. What duckroll was suggesting is different in that it'd be for the first time the actual console as a handheld. A step up but still in the same vein what Nintendo already have been doing for 2 gens now.

Even if the "DSU" proves to be impossible on a technological level I still see a Wii U Lite (with better gamepad also sold seperately to previous Wii U owners) and a 3DS player as likely.

Sorry, I was fairly unclear.

I don't think the games are the wrong idea, I think the console is the wrong idea and thus the games don't work sufficiently on it.

They need something much, much cheaper for the audience they want, and may also want to reassess software pricing.

Barring that, some kind of stunning new IP for casual gamers and/or broad market Nintendo fans instead of just reusing their existing brands continually and hoping they can motivate sales to an audience often known for being reticent to buy frequent sequels, if they buy any sequels at all.
I agree. If they were serious about the core market the price would have been okay but hardware specs were not. They'd have needed something powerful enough to make it feel next gen to core early adopters and more importantly something devs can produce something exciting with little effort. HD ports should be easy at least and allow some noticable upgrades.

For casual gamers the console is too expensive and doesn't offer anything new to wow them either. It doesn't really matter if you wow core gamers with graphics and complex gameplay or casuals with something innovative and fun, you need to have something to convince either group to buy the console first.

What Nintendo is doing now is to have a selection of games that as a whole will make the console interesting enough for families. A completely new title (instead of just Party and Club) would definitely have helped too.

For core gamers, their best strategy is actually MMO games with monthly subscriptions. If you have less games you have to make them interesting enough that gamers will be content with just the one or two games they end up playing on the console. This is why MHFG will be important despite likely unimpressive sales. Also DQX despite slow growth.

To a lesser extent DLC can work the same way.

Look at Mario U, increased sales by 42% from previous week due to 3D World release
Bundled.

nintendoland 4.6
nsmbu 3.75
nslu 3.0

Pretty much. The Wii U's titles have not shown similar legs to their predecessors. I can see it breaking 300K from that opening, but think it will be a long time before it breaks 500K if it does.

Ghost of Laguna, don't post if you are okay.

extralite

Famitsu Sales (Physical and Digital): October, 2013 (Sep 30 - Oct 27)

01. [3DS] Pokemon X / Y # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2013.10.12} &#8211; 2.953.059 (33.911) / 2.986.970
02. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.09.14} &#8211; 433.365 (30.879) / 464.244
What is really impressive is that in its second month MH4 still has almost as many downloads as Pokémon X/Y which just released. I guess shortages could still have been responsible, need to wait for November numbers.

At the moment, this Dragon Quest smartphone remake is only available in Japanese, so these downloads represent worldwide sales for anyone who can speak Japanese.

It is IP locked though (edit: and region locked based on the smart phone as well).

What is really impressive is that in its second month MH4 still has almost as many downloads as Pokémon X/Y which just released. I guess shortages could still have been responsible, need to wait for November numbers.

It is IP locked though.

Or anyone with an unlocked phone and a SIM-card spoofer. ;-)

But yeah, I'll remove that terminology.

That joke is getting really old. I also don't see how it relates to what I wrote. Unlike a heat wave the used market and lack of 3rd party games / steady releases will not go away. Wii U is in a terrible spot to sell to core gamers.

Well your explanation was as likely as heat waves so i added them for an increased effect.

extralite

Well your explanation was as likely as heat waves so i added them for an increased effect.

Are you serious? You know the buy back prices are high enough for hardware as well, so that the used market works as a rental substitute for both software and hardware? The only thing stopping people from buying used is that they might not want to wait for a game to become available there. Nothing stops them from selling it, even if they bought new. Wii U consoles were obviously already available used when 3D World came out.

This was cited for 360 and Vita. I've seen in it for Gamecube and other hardware when I was in Kyoto for a year in 2002/3. I don't really see why it shouldn't have happened for Wii or isn't now happening for Wii U.

Comgnet launch points:

Mirai - 272 (88,737)
Mirai 2 - 212

Toriko Battle - 51 (12,709)
Toriko Monster - 156 (34,430)
Toriko Ultimate - 49

Assassin's Creed 3 - 196 (85,918)
Assassin's Creed 4 - 98

Monster Hunter 4: 35pt > 43pt Rise this is the beginning etc etc.

Road

You know, maybe I'm a bit naive, but 1 million for Dragon Quest in two days, for free, on both iOS and Android, seems...not as much as I thought. Not that's it isn't big, but, knowing how much DQ usually sells (even remakes), and considering they gave the first million away... Probably, sales will be much quicker for other DQ titles (especially 8), though.

What about 3 million in 5 days? =P

Anyway, SE isn't getting any money since it's free. Let's see how the most unappealing product I've seen in ages aka DQVIII on smartphones performs.

It is IP locked though (edit: and region locked based on the smart phone as well).

The app itself is not region locked -- I have downloaded it. The apk is region locked on the Play store, but it is still as easy to download as one click if your SIM card is not from Japan.

Tripon

hai
hai
hai
hai

on a serious note, as gimmicky as that app is, i'd love if they did it with other famous places around the world. and not just museums

Imagine if they did a Disneyland one.

Anyway, SE isn't getting any money since it's free. Let's see how the most unappealing product I've seen in ages aka DQVIII on smartphones performs.

The app itself is not region locked -- I have downloaded it. The apk is region locked on the Play store, but it is still as easy to download as one click if your SIM card is not from Japan.

You take that back! DQ 8 was a great game, and you can't tell me otherwise! ;_;

Taker666

It'll be interesting to see if the Wii U can hold steady in Japan this week.

I've noticed it creeping up the charts on Amazon Japan the last few days. Last week it was at the lower end of the charts..but both the black and white bundles are currently in the top 40 (which is a rarity).

extralite

Good to hear. How/where did you download it though?&#12288;Edit: Never mind, found it.

It'll be interesting to see if the Wii U can hold steady in Japan this week.

I've noticed it creeping up the charts on Amazon Japan the last few days. Last week it was at the lower end of the charts..but both the black and white bundles are currently in the top 40 (which is a rarity).

It better. It is not a stretch to think that the system will stay where it's at until post New Year's.

Jubern

Question: GTA V just got the Playstation Platinum Award for a million sales and I'm wondering if it's Japan only or Japan + Asia... Does anyone know the latest chart numbers for GTA V in Japan? Thanks!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Currently, on Amazon.co.jp, there are 51 3DS items in top 100. Wow.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm personally guessing Puzzle and Dragons won't have too much issue reaching 1 million, in sales considering how consistent it's been at or near the top of pre-order charts for a while. I wonder if it sees significant success if they'll be an influx on popular smartphone games on the 3DS or handhelds in general.

I mean if you really think about it there's no reason there shouldn't be. Angry birds despite being ridiculously cheap on smartphones is still the most popular third party game on the 3ds outside of Japan. Considering how much higher the revenue on the 3DS is in comparison to a sale on smart phones there's no way rovio didn't laugh all the way to the bank on that venture.

Chances theres significant overlap between smartphones and handheld devices especially in Japan. Smart phone games and handheld games really aren't all that dissimilar. I think there's a lot of profit to be made from selling premium versions of their smartphone games on handhelds, a market trained to spend a lot more up front on a single game.

wrowa

nintendoland 4.6
nsmbu 3.75
nslu 3.0

Well, someone who thinks that SM3DW will break 500k certainly will also think that release timing matters. You are ignoring that factor in your list, however. It makes a difference whether a game is released during the holiday period and the console's launch hype or right before the year-end period starts. Sales are always higher during the holiday period, so that software released during that time period will likely also start with higher fw sales. A game that is being released shortly before sales tend to pick up, will have a slower start but is likely to have continious legs during the holiday period.

We can expect that SM3DW will continue selling a respectable sum each week for the next month. Whether or not it's enough to hit 500k eventually will depend on whether or not Japanese people will give a shit about the Wii U next month (and there are enough reasons to be pessimistic and think that they won't be all that interested).

I thought only the first million was free? So that they got 500yen (minus Google's and Apple's share) per sale for the next 2 million sales.

DaBoss

I still can't believe they don't include AC adapters...NoA is the only one with their head screwed on right regarding this.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Gibson at it again !!!

JP games - Hatsune Project Mirai 2 by Sega was #1 with 85k, Pokemon X/Y 61k #2, Lighting Returns #3 55k, #4 Assassins Creed 4 with 50k
#5 was Super Mario 3D World with 39k taking its total to 146k sold but still 64% sell through so inventory on shelves. Wii Party U sold 30k
WiiU sold 27k up from 20k last week and hence #2, but 3DS still #1 with 100k sold. PSV 23k and Vita TV 5k
WiiU has 3 titles in the Top 10 in Japan last week - #5 Super Mario 3D World, #7 Wii Party U and #10 New Super Mario Bros U

Top Bottom