• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 47, 2013 (Nov 18 - Nov 24)

Road

It's a good sign that Wii U sales grew for last week without any major release. And it's quite early for the holidays, as new year is the most important for the shopping season and it's still one month to go.
Might be also some good word of mouth for Mario 3d World that helped also the console.

If it's the first case the sales should steadly grow until the end of the month. If it's because of Mario it might stabilize or even decrease a little before holiday effect steps in. Although Mario&Sonic launch might also have an impact.

It's not really early. We usually start seeing the year-end shopping effect in November. 3DS games have already been increasing for a couple of weeks now:

21./20. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800) - 7.572 / 3.881.985 <80-100%> (+21%)
28./28. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life # <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.01} (¥5.480) - 4.943 / 318.062 <80-100%> (+35%)
29./31. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.04.18} (¥4.800) - 4.772 / 1.469.078 <80-100%> (+38%)

Wii U is having the same benefit as a Nintendo product (as many people repeatedly forecast). The bundles and SM3DW obviously aren't hurting it.

L~A

That's in the US. At the moment, DK has no month for Japan. My guess is March since the Western releases from Retro and Monster tend to be ~1 month late, however, they may bring it to launch close to PS4 on the 22nd to try and steal some thunder, since PS4's line-up is pretty meh (at the moment, for launch, in Japan). Wii Fit U is like February 1st at retail.

Yup, I'm convinced DK will be released around the same time as the PS4 (maybe a tad earlier/later). Wouldn't be impossible, since the game is pretty much finished (maybe some additional playtesting left), so having a Japanese localisation ready as the same time as the Western release sounds possible (especially since the European localisation got 4 languages to take care of).

So how much did the first Mirai title ? Rember it selling also around 80k FW.

Here's Mirai 1 first week :

02./00. [3DS] Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai # <ACT> (Sega) {2012.03.08} (¥6.090) - 86.676 / NEW <70,73%>

Looks like great news. Hopefully, this will "cement" the fanbase on the 3DS, and SEGA keeps the series going. Curious to see how well it'll end up selling, though there's no diva the new PSV/PS3 game will cut through its sales like a katana with butter.

Puzzle & Dragons Z (3DS) – 9/9/9/9 [36/40]

If the game is indeed a 9/10, I can see it selling 1 million.

But it's Famitsu so you never know (a Jojo 40/40 sized mess).

Puzzle & Dragons Z (3DS) – 9/9/9/9 [36/40]

If the game is indeed a 9/10, I can see it selling 1 million.

But it's Famitsu so you never know (a Jojo 40/40 sized mess).

It's basically Pokemon X Puzzles & Dragons with a 2D overworld. It'll probably do alright for itself. Been advertising it a tonne here too.

L~A

It's basically Pokemon X Puzzles & Dragons with a 2D overworld. It'll probably do alright for itself. Been advertising it a tonne here too.

I believe it's releasing today, right? Which means we should get the first sales numbers next week.

By the way, there's quite a few releases this week... Gaist Crusher, for starters. And Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy, if I'm not mistaken. Should be yet another interesting week for the 3DS.

The Vita Tv debut was 5k?

Nope, it was 40k, then dropped quite hard the following week. The drop didn't stop, and it's now at 5k.

Fabrik

Banned
Not surprising about Vita TV. Why would anyone buy that when so few are interested in Vita and its games?
Wii U increasing is encouraging but still far from ideal. If only MK was releasing sooner.

Exile20

I believe it's releasing today, right? Which means we should get the first sales numbers next week.

By the way, there's quite a few releases this week... Gaist Crusher, for starters. And Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy, if I'm not mistaken. Should be yet another interesting week for the 3DS.

Nope, it was 40k, then dropped quite hard the following week. The drop didn't stop, and it's now at 5k.

Oh my goodness, that is really really bad.

Exile20

Not surprising about Vita TV. Why would anyone buy that when so few are interested in Vita and its games?
Wii U increasing is encouraging but still far from ideal. If only MK was releasing sooner.

Mario Kart and 3d World would be a 1 , 2 KO this xmas. In that alternate universe I would be playing Kart this xmas, I look so happy.

test_account

XP-39C²
I guess no matter how you sell it, a Vita is still a Vita.
I think the different sales numbers between Vita and VitaTV shows that it do matter how you sell it, otherwise the Vita and the Vita TV should sell about the same now. Both are low numbers, but there is a quite noticeable difference between them. It depends on what the functionalities are. Vita TV removes the portability aspect and have worse game compability. On the positive side, its cheaper in price and it can be played on a bigger screen, but it has diferent functionalities, and judging by the sales in this case, it seems that the general consumer isnt very interested in it. Same thing regarding PSP Go, a PSP wasnt a PSP in that case, mostly because the PSP Go didnt play physical game, and the suggested retail price was also higher than a standard PSP.

Oh early numbers.

Vita TV flailing as expected.

The Wii U rise is a small, but nice indication that it will at least have an "okay" holiday.

The equivalent GCN week in 2002, it did 30,341 according to garaph. PS3 2007, 40,840, but I think it had recently received a price cut/new SKU.

I think people were expecting Sony to actually promote Vita TV, which didn't happen. Still, it adds 20% to the base Vita number which helps.

I think the different sales numbers between Vita and VitaTV shows that it do matter how you sell it, otherwise the Vita and the Vita TV should sell about the same now.

Fair point.

I was coming at it from a slightly different angle though, that PSVita was being repositioned as something else when in fact it's still the same (if not worse).

test_account

XP-39C²
Fair point.

I was coming at it from a slightly different angle though, that PSVita was being repositioned as something else when in fact it's still the same (if not worse).
I understand. Yeah, the sales of both Vita and VitaTV arent exactly very high, that is true. And it also shows that the idea behind VitaTV was something that the consumers didnt really want (at least so far), indeed.

Not really no, although I probably did overstate my certainty I'll admit. I feel that this week's results are somewhat padded with the close proximity to a major release and the normal holiday bump combining together, I don't think it's going to dramatically climb every week as we'd normally see.
The problem with that reasoning is that the "major release" week had lower sales than this one.
In other words, if those sales are a product of SM3D World being released for the console, this week should be lower than last week that was the one with the strong release, don't you think?

crinale

The problem with that reasoning is that the "major release" week had lower sales than this one.
In other words, if those sales are a product of SM3D World being released for the console, this week should be lower than last week that was the one with the strong release, don't you think?

Japanese market wasn't too kind to 3D Mario, as proven in history. They sell decently every time but 2D Mario usually does better.

valouris

Nice bump on the U. With this climate in Japan, it will be very interesting to see how well the PS4 will do. If it doesn't do well it will be quite worrisome. Also, I wonder how many folks will hold out on videogames during Christmas to spend that money on PS4.

Mario Kart and 3d World would be a 1 , 2 KO this xmas. In that alternate universe I would be playing Kart this xmas, I look so happy.

I know what you mean. It was their strategy 2 years ago with 3DS.

Pretty much this. After Pikmin, which was roughly the same debut as Mario it dropped back down from 22K to 14K.

Japanese market wasn't too kind to 3D Mario, as proven in history. They sell decently every time but 2D Mario usually does better.
Yes, but that's not my point. My point is, no matter how much fond the Japanese market is of 3D marios, that if this week's sales are a result from that game releasing and not a generalized bump on the platform sales driven by other factors (like a holiday bump), then it's not logical to see it selling more than the week the game was released on.

It seems logical to think that this week's increase over past week it's not because of a game and some bundles released during the past week, because if this was the reason, past week's number would be higher than this week's numbers.

crinale

Yes, but that's not my point. My point is, no matter how much fond the Japanese market is of 3D marios, that if this week's sales are a result from that game releasing and not a generalized bump on the platform sales driven by other factors (like a holiday bump), then it's not logical to see it selling more than the week the game was released on.

It seems logical to think that this week's increase over past week it's not because of a game and some bundles released during the past week, because if this was the reason, past week's number would be higher than this week's numbers.

My point was 3D Mario's relevance (in Wii U) in Japan is so small that it is nothing compared to effect of usual bump all Nintendo platform experience during end-year season.

My point was 3D Mario's relevance (in Wii U) in Japan is so small that it is nothing compared to effect of usual bump all Nintendo platform experience during end-year season.
Oh I see it now! I thought you were disagreeing with me with some kind of convoluted logic XD

Well then, sorry for the misunderstanding!!!

crinale

Oh I see it now! I thought you were disagreeing with me with some kind of convoluted logic XD

Well then, sorry for the misunderstanding!!!

No problem buddy.
To be honest, with so many franchises Nintendo is overlapping between 3DS and Wii U, I seriously have no idea what game can convince Japanese to buy Wii U.
I'd argue it would be much easier to think of a game that may sell good on PS4, than imagining such game for Wii U, given that PS4 might not sell that well either...

Ok, so that Wii U bump, eh?

That was also worst performance for MH3 game on any platform
Oh, please. You're reaching too hard. It's a port of a port. MH never does fantastic numbers on consoles (especially when it's, you know, a PORT of a PORT) and on an unpopular console at that. But it doesn't matter, Capcom stated they very please with its performance in their last financials, so let this go.

WiiU !!!!!!!!!

1369444664600.gif

Bruno MB

Super Mario 3D World drop (-64%) is bigger than I expected, especially seeing the Wii U pre-holiday bump. Last week it received a new shipment of around 30.000 units.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII didn't collapse (-82%), that's not bad for a Final Fantasy title.

L Thammy

Oh, please. You're reaching too hard. It's a port of a port. MH never does fantastic numbers on consoles (especially when it's, you know, a PORT of a PORT) and on an unpopular console at that. But it doesn't matter, Capcom stated they very please with its performance in their last financials, so let this go.

It's actually a port of an expansion. Although most of the stuff from what expansion came from Portable 3rd, I guess. Like two ports in one, but plus some more stuff.

Didn't MH3G HG compared to MH3G similarly to how P3rd HD compared to P3rd? I faintly recall such a comparison.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's not really early. We usually start seeing the year-end shopping effect in November. 3DS games have already been increasing for a couple of weeks now:

21./20. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800) - 7.572 / 3.881.985 <80-100%> (+21%)
28./28. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life # <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.01} (¥5.480) - 4.943 / 318.062 <80-100%> (+35%)
29./31. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.04.18} (¥4.800) - 4.772 / 1.469.078 <80-100%> (+38%)

Wii U is having the same benefit as a Nintendo product (as many people repeatedly forecast). The bundles and SM3DW obviously aren't hurting it.

I was talking more about hardware and I had a look at last year 3ds sales (as Wii U was at launch) and the 3ds start growing only in week 49. If it is indeed the effect of the holiday it would be quite good, as it will guarantee a good month of sales for Wii U.

I was talking more about hardware and I had a look at last year 3ds sales (as Wii U was at launch) and the 3ds start growing only in week 49
There are other examples to look at though, like the Wii.
Code:
	W47	W48	% change
2008	35,298	49,848	41
2009	32,844	46,673	42
2010	41,267	56,095	36
2011	20,148	31,071	54

Top Bottom