• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 47, 2013 (Nov 18 - Nov 24)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Bye Vita TV, you were a neat idea, but introducing you first in Japan was a terrible plan

I'm really surprised at the small Wii U bump, nothing new this week ? I was certain it would be a small decrease this week

Shengar

Wow at Wii U's bump. I guess it will stay at that level or at least slightly above 10k for the rest of the year yes? Vita is steady above 20k, I hope it stay like that until new year too.

cacildo

WiiU has 3 titles in the Top 10 in Japan last week - #5 Super Mario 3D World, #7 Wii Party U and #10 New Super Mario Bros U

I think thats the biggest news here. New wiiU owners buying a year old game

TheZjman

Banned
Wow, a lot better than expected for Wii U. A glimmer of hope. (not really)

Interesting that it had the same bump this week as last week despite no new releases. Wii Party and NSMBU holding well.

Wow at Wii U's bump. I guess it will stay at that level or at least slightly above 10k for the rest of the year yes? Vita is steady above 20k, I hope it stay like that until new year too.

I'd hope both would at least stay that way with the holidays approaching. Hell, if they both don't see a significant bump in the next couple of weeks that'd be pretty damning.

QaaQer

I'm personally guessing Puzzle and Dragons won't have too much issue reaching 1 million, in sales considering how consistent it's been at or near the top of pre-order charts for a while. I wonder if it sees significant success if they'll be an influx on popular smartphone games on the 3DS or handhelds in general.

I mean if you really think about it there's no reason there shouldn't be. Angry birds despite being ridiculously cheap on smartphones is still the most popular third party game on the 3ds outside of Japan. Considering how much higher the revenue on the 3DS is in comparison to a sale on smart phones there's no way rovio didn't laugh all the way to the bank on that venture.

Chances theres significant overlap between smartphones and handheld devices especially in Japan. Smart phone games and handheld games really aren't all that dissimilar. I think there's a lot of profit to be made from selling premium versions of their smartphone games on handhelds, a market trained to spend a lot more up front on a single game.

Does the 3ds version have the same microtransactions as the free2play version?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Bye Vita TV, you were a neat idea, but introducing you first in Japan was a terrible plan

I'm really surprised at the small Wii U bump, nothing new this week ? I was certain it would be a small decrease this week

End of the year sales period starting and kids wanting to play the Mario games might be a reason? Only hope for SM3DW to get to a respectable number overall, I'd say :(.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I think thats the biggest news here. New wiiU owners buying a year old game
That's bundled with the console for free. This is the one and only reason NSMBU and Wii Party U perform so well. However, NSMBU might be a good incentive to pick up a Wii U (together with SM3DW).

L~A

Isn't it just the hardware bundle sales? Every new Wii u has both party U and nsmbu bundled in.

Yup, which means they are working. Kinda surprised by that Wii U bump, are people already starting their Christmas shopping? Super Mario 3D World word of mouth, maybe? Looks like Wii U's christmas should be ok.

watershed

Banned
While all Nintendo products (Wii U and 3ds, new and old games for both) will get a good holiday bump, its not gonna be enough to change the outlook on the Wii U. I don't think the holidays will create enough momentum for the Wii U to ride into the new year.

While all Nintendo products (Wii U and 3ds, new and old games for both) will get a good holiday bump, its not gonna be enough to change the outlook on the Wii U. I don't think the holidays will create enough momentum for the Wii U to ride into the new year.

Which is why they hopefully have more games lined up early this year including the big hitters smash and mk8. Dk is coming in February so if we get one of those other games in April at least and another by June hopefully the momentum stays higher then it was last year where it really bottomed out due to the launch window games being pushed to august+

Considering that the Famitsu numbers were higher for Mario last year that's actually a pretty big drop considering how low the first week sales were. I'm pretty curious to see the MC numbers.

If nothing else it appears that the Wii U will be beating Vita 2012 sales though. It's still close but I'd lean towards it happening now.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
its not gonna be enough to change the outlook on the Wii U. I don't think the holidays will create enough momentum for the Wii U to ride into the new year.
Either that, or people have finally enough reasons to buy a Wii U, and Nintendo will keep momentum with big games next year.

Sonic & Mario comes out today right?

Which is why they hopefully have more games lined up early this year including the big hitters smash and mk8. Dk is coming in February so if we get one of those other games in April at least and another by June hopefully the momentum stays higher then it was last year where it really bottomed out due to the launch window games being pushed to august+

That's in the US. At the moment, DK has no month for Japan. My guess is March since the Western releases from Retro and Monster tend to be ~1 month late, however, they may bring it to launch close to PS4 on the 22nd to try and steal some thunder, since PS4's line-up is pretty meh (at the moment, for launch, in Japan). Wii Fit U is like February 1st at retail.

Mario Kart is listed for Spring, and I imagine they'd love to have it out in March to give a final push to their FY numbers BUT they may prefer it in April or later (presuming it's ready for March, but delayed) to try and give the new year a positive spin and push off some momentum for the new year.

Of course, given Nintendo's predilection to have 1 retail game per month, I imagine the start of next year will go:
Jan: Nothing
Feb: Wii Fit U
March: Donkey Kong
April: Mario Kart

But that, to me, is almost a worst case scenario.

Either that, or people have finally enough reasons to buy a Wii U, and Nintendo will keep momentum with big games next year.

Last year the Wii U entered Week 1 with a 67k unit debut and fell to below 10k by Week 8. I would be shocked if it can manage more than half of that for Week 1 this time around and as with Nintendo having the biggest boost during the holidays, they also have the biggest drops after. The system will drop below 10k before DKC releases.

#1 - Mirai 2 - 85k
#2 - Pokemon X/Y - 61k
#3 - Lighting Returns - 55k
#4 - Assassins Creed 4 - 50k
#5 - Super Mario 3D World - 39k
#6 - ?
#7 - Wii Party U - 30k
#8 - ?
#9 - ?
#10 - New Super Mario Bros U - ?

3DS - 100k
Wii U - 27k
PSV - 23k
TV - 5k

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/sp/english/news/html/e131204.html

What's the highest selling Monster Hunter to date? At this rate it just sounds like MH4 will take that title within 12 months.
MHP3 with 4.8 million.

Last year the Wii U entered Week 1 with a 67k unit debut and fell to below 10k by Week 8. I would be shocked if it can manage more than half of that for Week 1 this time around and as with Nintendo having the biggest boost during the holidays, they also have the biggest drops after. The system will drop below 10k before DKC releases.

You don't think the Wii U can have a bigger than 33.5K Week 1 when it's selling 27K in Week 48?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I tought that Vita TV could have done good in Japan. Instead it seems to struggle. What's GAF perception of it? Could it see a bump with the release of the PS4 or will PS4 make Vita TV life even harder?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's a good sign that Wii U sales grew for last week without any major release. And it's quite early for the holidays, as new year is the most important for the shopping season and it's still one month to go.
Might be also some good word of mouth for Mario 3d World that helped also the console.

If it's the first case the sales should steadly grow until the end of the month. If it's because of Mario it might stabilize or even decrease a little before holiday effect steps in. Although Mario&Sonic launch might also have an impact.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So how much did the first Mirai title ? Rember it selling also around 80k FW.

You don't think the Wii U can have a bigger than 33.5K Week 1 when it's selling 27K in Week 48?

Not really no, although I probably did overstate my certainty I'll admit. I feel that this week's results are somewhat padded with the close proximity to a major release and the normal holiday bump combining together, I don't think it's going to dramatically climb every week as we'd normally see.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
88k vs 85k.

I'm super happy! Mirai dropped to 14k second week, I can see Mirai 2 holding a bit better thanks to the holiday season.

Not bad, considering the "real" Miku was already released on PSV and the upcoming title wll be released in spring. Project Mirai is here to stay.

Top Bottom