• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 47, 2016 (Nov 21 - Nov 27)

duckroll

Are we sure about that? It's hard to say, as the wording was in all the articles and translations as the best opening in Japan for digital day one. Nothing specified SE game or games in general.

So if this is the case, what is the best digital opening for an SE game?

Yes we are sure about that. At least I am, because the Japanese press release specifically says that. :p

barybll

Banned
They need to gangbuster more great quality games one after another, but they seem giving up on making decent game for the console market now (See: SO5 and recent jRPGs around 2015-2016 minus Soulborne and some 3DS titles).

Nintendo is a last man standing before mobile eat them all.

*cough*
Persona 5
*cough*

PlayStation is good for midtier games, the games with bigger appeal have moved to Nintendo.

How many million sellers have we had on PlayStation platforms in the last decade? I can only think of Minecraft Vita. Even even Wii U got more million sellers in its catalogue.

EDIT: forgot about Monster Hunter PSP, but that's all the way back to 2010, so my point still stands.

Of course, it's not all ugly for PlayStation because like I said, it's still the best option for some games not aiming to become a hit.

As for Final Fantasy I have already shared my opinion some days ago. The focus on PlayStation platforms is only hurting the franchise and consequently Square Enix. If that VGL leak is true then I can only pray for the future of Final Fantasy. (not that I care that much because SE have all but abandoned Nintendo platforms when it comes to main FF games ahaha poor them, they are paying the price now)

MilkBeard

PlayStation is good for midtier games, the games with bigger appeal have moved to Nintendo.

How many million sellers have we had on PlayStation platforms in the last decade? I can only think of Minecraft Vita. Even even Wii U got more million sellers in its catalogue.

Of course, it's not all ugly for PlayStation because like I said, it's still the best option for some games not aiming to become a hit.

As for Final Fantasy I have already shared my opinion some days ago. The focus on PlayStation platforms is only hurting the franchise and consequently Square Enix. If that VGL leak is true then I can only pray for the future of Final Fantasy. (not that I care that much because SE have all but abandoned Nintendo platforms when it comes to main FF games ahaha poor them, they are paying the price now)

Which VGL leak?

barybll

Banned

Wii U also usually had minus 20 notable releases per year, sometimes not even 5 releases...in an entire year

Its literally a case of "buy that or play absolutely nothing for months", so yeah, obviously the games on wii u will sell more on individual basis

Not to mention that people specifically buy nintendo consoles to play nintendo games, while the motives for buying ps4 is more varied

LordKano

Wii U also usually had minus 20 notable releases per year, sometimes not even 5 releases...in an entire year

Its literally a case of "buy that or play absolutely nothing for months", so yeah, obviously the games on wii u will sell more on individual basis

I missed that dumb argument, that only works for three games out of the thirty bombas the Wii U got.

Zedark

It only took them 20 years to exact their revenge!

Something that a true Nintendo fan will say. Got me all teary eyed.

Long live Nintendo!

sanstesy

That isn't how it works.

Based on what we know, that's quite the opposite. Anything with a little international appeal can't avoid the Playstation.

Which large third party console IPs are missing on Playstation except Monter Hunder maybe?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Not to mention that people specifically buy nintendo consoles to play nintendo games, while the motives for buying ps4 is more varied

You really think WiiU owners would not be be able to spend their money on other platforms or non-gaming related interests if they werent interested in Splatoon ? lol
How many of the million sellers were nintendo games?
How many of the million sellers werent?

lol

need that moving Goal Post 3DWorld gif asap.

Guymelef

lol.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
How many of the million sellers were nintendo games?
How many of the million sellers werent?

That literally means nothing at all in this argument.

I missed that dumb argument, that only works for three games out of the thirty bombas the Wii U got.

Yeah if the games were appealing they were going to be bought regardless of how many other games were, or were not being released. These are the sorts of games that world have sold a mill on the 3DS under similar circumstances.

barybll

Banned
You really think WiiU owners would not be be able to spend their money on other platforms or non-gaming related interests if they werent interested in Splatoon ? lol

lol

need that moving Goal Post 3DWorld gif asap.

What does that have with anything you said ?

That literally means nothing at all in this argument.

Yeah if the games were appealing they were going to be bought regardless of how many other games were, or were not being released. These are the sorts of games that world have sold a mill on the 3DS under similar circumstances.

I edited my post since I forgot another point

wrowa

Final Fantasy isn't Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest or Pokemon. Past Nintendo hardware - everything from Wii to 3DS - was never a good fit for the (mainline) series.

Ever since FFVII at the latest, Final Fantasy was known to be the super modern, state of the art, bleeding edge RPG series. FF games having great graphics, awesome cutscenes and generall very high production values is a fundamental part of its appeal - and something that would have been completely lost on Wii, DS or 3DS. The same thing isn't true for MH or Dragon Quest games, those titles never based much of their appeal on their production values and thus are an easier fit for weaker platforms.

Even if a 3DS exclusive FFXV would have outsold the proper FFXV in Japan - and, well, with FFXV selling a meager 700k units that would have been possible, I guess - they would have lost much more sales in the rest of the world than they'd have won in Japan. It wouldn't have been worth the trade off.

Did I miss a recent console release? And didn't Apocalypse for 3ds sell like 100k first week?

Oh, but MH hasn't had a console release in a while either aside from ports like MH3U on Wii U 4 years ago. SMT had Nocturne on PS2 (and maybe you can count Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE?).

SMT was pretty major on PS2 no?

I guess mainline DQ also counts (well, pre-10/11 anyway :p).

Based on what we know, that's quite the opposite. Anything with a little international appeal can't avoid the Playstation.

Which large third party console IPs are missing on Playstation except Monter Hunder maybe?
Well I'm obviously talking about Japan. But you are right, internationally, PlayStation is the most important brand right now.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The last pages, oh God.

P.s. The VGLeaks rumour has doubtful credibility due to parts of the rumour itself and VGL's recent track record.

notaskwid

EDIT: forgot about Monster Hunter PSP, but that's all the way back to 2010, so my point still stands.

This post could make sense if Japan was the only country in the world. I know this is the japanese sales thread and all, but please.

after 20 years that Squaresoft betrayal is still hurting, isn't it?

mejin

xvM3x.gif

How can people still be so salty after 20 years?

I assumed that you meant that those games would be ported to Nintendo Switch. I must have missed something; how does this mean anything other than Square Enix wanting to make more money on its past catalog?

I admit that porting Final Fantasy to Switch would be a way to bridge the gap, but it doesn't seem like Square is willing to do so, at least yet.
I'm talking about celebrating FF exclusively on Sony platforms. That's just stupid.

Why do you think FF is bombing on XBox? Because SE never cared about building a loyal fanbase of FF fans on that platform, they were too fixed with PS. Did you see the split of XV sales? That's not healthy and PS can't carry FF on its own. The overall low sales of FFXV are proof of that.

If the franchise was strong on all three platforms then we could see it selling a lot more or at least enough to pay for its bills, something that XV will fail to achieve at this rate.

Look who got the last laugh though.

well, honestly I just see people hoping for low sales for FF15 so they can start (Samus already started) the classic mantras "nintendo will save the industry"

pages over pages about "FF is doomed" just because a blog says 6 and 9
at least wait for another hour before start digging the grave :D

I never said anything about FF becoming exclusive to Nintendo. That wouldn't work and it would sell even less than it's selling right now.

I'm talking about spreading the FF gospel to other platforms, because right now it's all focused on PS. Is it that hard to agree with? It's not an outrageous opinion.

Numbers don't lie.

barybll

Banned
well, honestly I just see people hoping for low sales for FF15 so they can start (Samus already started) the classic mantras "nintendo will save the industry"

700k does sound a grounded estimation tho, judging the state of the japanese industry

wrowa

But Sammy is the only ond saying that and is only being ridiculed in return, so I'm not sure how you think people are secretly following that agenda here.

Oregano

Let's see how FFXV actually sells in the West before proclaiming everything is fine. There's still a high chance it sells quite a bit less than XIII.

Top Bottom