• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 47, 2016 (Nov 21 - Nov 27)

FFXV should be carrying the PS4 in Japan, not the other way around. If it sold like half of FFXIII then it shows the overall weakening of Final Fantasy brand in that region.

No game is going to save consoles in Japan. PS4 games in general are doing poorly compared to PS3 games when FFXIII came out and nothing is going to reverse that.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I do wonder if these sales pan out how it'll affect capcom, if that generational has a lkck of truth this gen because if FF there's no way an exclusive MH for the PS4 is not an abject failure Bloodborne is the cap for that and there's no way they'll pick up the million+ lost in Japan over on the west. PS4/Switch however makes sense.

u_neek

If true, that's a massive drop. Hopefully digital and the rest of Asia will make up for it.

Edit: it will be interesting to see how much of a boost PS4 gets.

Not for FT it isn't. That's the single bigggesr franchise in PlayStation consoles. If Pokemon suddenly sold 800k first week would it be considered a "great success".

Pokemon releases on handhelds that actually sell well, FFXV is on a home console that is not.
The state of the console market in Japan is god awful and PS4 games in general don't sell well. For the platform it is released on in the time it is released on it's a solid turn out with an attach rate of about 1 to every 5 PS4s. It's a bad number for the franchise, but there was no way it was going to get an amazing number with the state of the console market in Japan.
700k for week 1 in the current market is far beyond what anything else is achieving.

orochi91

Given these FFXV numbers, P5 seriously overachieved.

Either that or FFs popularity has plummeted drastically in Japan.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Pokemon releases on handhelds that actually sell well, FFXV is on a home console that is not.
The state of the console market in Japan is god awful and PS4 games in general don't sell well. For the platform it is released on in the time it is released on it's a solid turn out with an attach rate of about 1 to every 5 PS4s. It's a bad number for the franchise, but there was no way it was going to get an amazing number with the state of the console market in Japan.
PS4 has roughly the same install base as the PS3 when 13 released there's no excuse install base or otherwise for it's underperformance.

random25

No game is going to save consoles in Japan. PS4 games in general are doing poorly compared to PS3 games when FFXIII came out and nothing is going to reverse that.

What I mean is Final Fantasy the main series are not highly dependent on how well the hardware is selling. Case in point, FFXIII. Final Fantasy usually are the ones that causes spark in hardware sales, just like Monster Hunter. Now, console sales ain't the same as the glory days but that doesn't mean a brand like Final Fantasy suddenly loses its million-selling power when you see games like MGSV doing consistently well in relation to previous games and Persona 5 PS4 selling better than the last one. Brand power of Final Fantasy just isn't that strong in Japan as in years past.

MilkBeard

People forget that the game sold a lot of digital copies. Are we looking at another 100k on PSN on top the physical copies?

Zedark

People forget that the game sold a lot of digital copies. Are we looking at another 100k on PSN on top the physical copies?

Can someone tell me where all this info is coming from? I can't find the source for all this talk in the thread anywhere. Thanks!

gtj1092

Not for FF it isn't. That's the single bigggesr franchise in PlayStation consoles. If Pokemon suddenly sold 800k first week would it be considered a "great success".

Yeah it would be. Except you would be hearing about how we should consider the rise of mobile or how the 3DS has a smaller userbase than the DS or how Pokemon go satisfied some of the market and that the overall Japanese market is down.

MilkBeard

Can someone tell me where all this info is coming from? I can't find the source for all this talk in the thread anywhere. Thanks!

Well, it's based on the statement that FF XV had the best opening sales for a digital game day one in Japan. There is an estimation for how much it probably sold based on that.

Kanann

I'll be shock if the digital (JP) surpass 100,000. It's so overprice (9,000+ yen for standard, 12,000+ with season pass)

While some shop now put out FFXV at 6,000-7,500 yen.

And looking at feed backs, I think it'll down to 50% off or bargain bin sooner than we want.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah it would be. Except you would be hearing about how we should consider the rise of mobile or how the 3DS has a smaller userbase than the DS or how Pokemon go satisfied some of the market and that the overall Japanese market is down.
In no universe would it be. Even Nintendo games on the freaking Wii U can sell that amount.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

I dont think thats true.

3rdParty success is what the PS plattform stand for - if the biggest game can barely sell a million with this type of marketing money spend its a bad look no matter how you spin it.

Meanwhile you have a new IP like Splatoon selling 2m on a dead system - i know its not a fair comparison and the FF XV numbers arent even that shocking...but still not a good look for the market - this used to be a tentpole release.

It would have been different if they released the game early in the PS4 lifecycle...but after 3 years there are less excuses.

orochi91

I've never really given it much thought before, but how is the reception to FFVX in places like China, Korea, Indonesia and etc.?

Is there any notable hype for FFVX in the gaming communities there?

If XV can't crack a million it'll be the first Sony console to not have a million seller in Japan. I can't foresee any other game doing a million in sales.

Fisico

So ~650k FW retail, mayyybe 100k digital and the damage control PR from earlier...
I guess they want to hit that 1M milestone but while doable it will still be hard to achieve.

Top Bottom