• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 47, 2016 (Nov 21 - Nov 27)

I dont think thats true.

3rdParty success is what the PS plattform stand for - if the biggest game can barely sell a million with this type of marketing money spend its a bad look no matter how you spin it.

Meanwhile you have a new IP like Splatoon selling 2m on a dead system - i know its not a fair comparison and the FF XV numbers arent even that shocking...but still not a good look for the market - this used to be a tentpole release.

It would have been different if they released the game early in the PS4 lifecycle...but after 3 years there are less excuses.

Going by these few impressions FF XV didn't have that huge marketing budget in Japan.

LordKano

DQXI is releasing on three consoles with one that is insanely more popular than the PS4. It won't do a million on PS4.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
How can people call 500k 600k 700k or 10000000k a bomb without knowing how much they shipped. Call overacting...

MilkBeard

The comparison to Splatoon is strange, as the game had long legs and sold over a long period of time, as it is a multiplayer heavy title and thus the word of mouth spread. It's undoubtedly true that FF XV won't have that kind of sales pattern, but I just think it's a strange comparison.

Multiplayer titles on Nintendo systems have also had a long history of selling well.

LordKano

How can people call 500k 600k 700k or 10000000k a bomb without knowing how much they shipped. Call overacting...

690k is bombing because it's less than half of the previous game sales. You don't need shipment numbers to understand that.

So if Square had shipped 300k units and sold those all it would be success just because they sold all shipped copies? That is not how it works.

Perfo

So if Square had shipped 300k units and sold those all it would be success just because they sold all shipped copies? That is not how it works.

That's exactly how it works. They develop a game and base the costs for doing it on the projection of sales. If they ship 800k and sell most of them in the month is indeed a success. It's profit that counts not your penis vs others.

MilkBeard

690k is bombing because it's less than half of the previous game sales. You don't need shipment numbers to understand that.

I just don't understand this need to call out bombs just because it sold less than a game that came out years ago. It's probably understood that SE knew it would sell less in Japan -- and calling 600k a bomb is a little bit strange. That's already higher than the highest selling PS4 game in Japan up to this point.

Zedark

That's exactly how it works. They develop a game and base the costs for doing it on the projection of sales. If they ship 800k and sell most of them in the month is indeed a success. It's profit that counts not your penis vs others.

Then you are completely ignoring the fact that the series normally sells much more. Square Enix could set arbitrarily low bars for FFXV, but that doesn't detract from the fact that the series has taken a nosedive.

Rixa

It maybe be bomb or not. Iam curious how big difference there is in attach ratio (launch week) between FFXIII - FFXV, in few hours I know.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I just don't understand this need to call out bombs just because it sold less than a game that came out years ago. It's probably understood that SE knew it would sell less in Japan -- and calling 600k a bomb is a little bit strange. That's already higher than the highest selling PS4 game in Japan up to this point.

But it also displays how poorly large 3rd parties games perform on the platform if that's how the highest selling series on the previous platform performs on this one.

Perfo

Then you are completely ignoring the fact that the series normally sells much more. Square Enix could set arbitrarily low bars for FFXV, but that doesn't detract from the fact that the series has taken a nosedive.

That doesn't make it a bomb.

Sandfox

Shipping a smaller number doesn't make it less of a bomb if it's selling like half what the previous entry did first week.
The comparison to Splatoon is strange, as the game had long legs and sold over a long period of time, as it is a multiplayer heavy title and thus the word of mouth spread. It's undoubtedly true that FF XV won't have that kind of sales pattern, but I just think it's a strange comparison.

Multiplayer titles on Nintendo systems have also had a long history of selling well.

So does FF.

That's a massive nosedive if true. I think this says more about the health of home consoles in Japan if anything though. If the market was healthier, no doubt it would have done better. I guess we'll see what the numbers say in a couple of hours though.

LordKano

That's a bomba because it's a huge decline in the series sales. The fact that it will probably be the best selling PS4 game doesn't change that. Square don't give a shit if it's selling more than the other games. What they will see is that it's selling insanely lower than FFXIII.

MilkBeard

Shipping a smaller number doesn't make it less of a bomb if it's selling like half what the previous entry did first week.

So does FF.

That's true, but the decline in the console market plus the shaky history of Final Fantasy mixed together equals tempered sales. And you all are acting like this is doom and gloom, "bomba" when looking at 600K sales, that's still objectively something, which means there is still a market despite both of these negative forces at work.

Splatoon is also a one in a million scenario where a game happened to catch fire while all of Nintendo's other efforts nearly burned in a fire.

EDIT: What will really be "bomba" is if the series sells worse than this in the next installment. Then we can call bomba but I don't think 600k is bomba, it's merely a weak launch that was predicted by everyone for obvious reasons.

Sounds about what I expected since this is just retail number without digital. It will do even better in Asia.

That's a bomba because it's a huge decline in the series sales. The fact that it will probably be the best selling PS4 game doesn't change that. Square don't give a shit if it's selling more than the other games. What they will see is that it's selling insanely lower than FFXIII.
Did Tabata kill your favorite game or something? You sound bitter about FFXV in every thread.

wrowa

That's not how it works at all.

The initial shipment number isn't based on what SE projected FFXV would sell back when they greenlit the game and set its budget, instead it's based on the demand retailers feel close to release and SE's own predictions close to release.

Just because you once thought you'd ship 1.5m copies first week, doesn't mean that reality will hold up to that prediction. Things change. You can stuff retail channels, but only to a certain degree. Retailers aren't going to order 1.5 million units of your game when they aren't even sure if they can sell half of that.

duckroll

That's true, but the decline in the console market plus the shaky history of Final Fantasy mixed together equals tempered sales. And you all are acting like this is doom and gloom, "bomba" when looking at 600K sales, that's still objectively something, which means there is still a market despite both of these negative forces at work.

Well hopefully if Japan is no longer a market Japanese console blockbuster developers need to care about, then they can just stop making them so Japanese. No more pretty boy designs, young school girls, dumb sword weapons, and flashy combos. Give us more grown up father figure protagonists, sexy adult ladies, and more cover shooting. Yes, you heard me Japan, it's time to cancel the Yakuza series, and announce BINARY DOMAIN 2.

I said it could do it - not that it will. There is still alot we dont know about the 7Remake.
Highly doubt it will be able to sell even 1 million because the way Japanese market is heading, the consoles will become a niche when the actual game is released in 2018-19.

Well hopefully if Japan is no longer a market Japanese console blockbuster developers need to care about, then they can just stop making them so Japanese. No more pretty boy designs, young school girls, dumb sword weapons, and flashy combos. Give us more grown up father figure protagonists, sexy adult ladies, and more cover shooting. Yes, you heard me Japan, it's time to cancel the Yakuza series, and announce BINARY DOMAIN 2.
I can get behind this idea.

Sandfox

Splatoon is also a one in a million scenario where a game happened to catch fire while all of Nintendo's other efforts nearly burned in a fire.
The previous FF games opened up at well more than double that number so I don't see the problem with "doom and gloom". Games like Pokemon, DQ, and FF are obviously going to be held to higher standards by both us and the companies making them. Also, the FF brand weakening just supports to bomba talk in my eyes.

Everyone wanted Lightning. No one wants Noctis. That is the reality. After all the mockery Versus fans gave the FFXIII series over the years, this is Lightning's final revenge.
The next FF game.

MilkBeard

lol -- that's something.

Final Fantasy is canceled, only Mobile titles from here on out.

Everyone wanted Lightning. No one wants Noctis. That is the reality. After all the mockery Versus fans gave the FFXIII series over the years, this is Lightning's final revenge.

These fighting words. Lightning was blessed by Nomura, while Noctis had to leave Nomura's light ;____;

wrowa

I also think that blaming the state of the Japanese console market for FFXV's sales is too easy of an excuse. Yes, the market is considerably smaller than in the past and yes, reaching FFXIII's first week numbers was always close to impossible.

However, I do think that a core-focused pinnacle release reaching somewhere between 1m - 1.2m first week is still in the realm of possibility. FFXV selling short of that and by quite a sizeable margin is to me also a) a confirmation that, yes, years long mismanagement of a popular franchise will eventually hurt its brand appeal and b) a simple result of FFXV not being particularly appealing to the taste of the Japanese gaming audience. By deciding to pass on a huge story in favor of an open world, they alienated a sizable chunk of their Japanese audience who's always been playing FF for that one reason.

I do think SE saw b) coming though and decided that trying to keep FF relevant in the west is a better strategy in the long run than focusing on the needs of its ever smaller home market. I doubt they expected FFXV would end up doing quite as badly as its doing now in Japan though (and I'm also not sure if FFXV is actually all that much more appealing to the west than a more traditional FF would have been).

Alrus

That's not how it works in Japan. Publisher don't entirely get to decide what they ship because retailer are responsible for the stock they ordered. It's entirely possible Square Enix wanted to ship much more than what they did but retailers simply didn't order more.

Also the first day sell through for a jrpg was mediocre considering the genre is massively front loaded so they might not even ship their first shipment.

690k when the previous entry sold over twice as much is a massive underperformance, I don't see how you can deny that.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
That's not how it works at all.

The initial shipment number isn't based on what SE projected FFXV would sell back when they greenlit the game and set its budget, instead it's based on the demand retailers feel close to release and SE's own predictions close to release.

Just because you once thought you'd ship 1.5m copies first week, doesn't mean that reality will hold up to that prediction. Things change. You can stuff retail channels, but only to a certain degree. Retailers aren't going to order 1.5 million units of your game when they aren't even sure if they can sell half of that.

this is a very good post.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
So in how many hours are the numbers announced?

Ōkami

Just want to mention again that FFXV didn't had the highest digital opening in Japan ever, just the biggest for Square Enix.

Might want to put this somewhere ok the first page of the new thread.

Perfo

690k when the previous entry sold over twice as much is a massive underperformance, I don't see how you can deny that.

A previous entry from almost 10 years ago on an other age and era and console. What comparison is that???
I think 700-900k is what they expected to sell from when the game was rebooted. There was 0 chance things could've gone different. They re still good numbers but SE bet obviously everything on the west so it's there that we must look for changes.

Kanann

They need to gangbuster more great quality games one after another, but they seem giving up on making decent game for the console market now (See: SO5 and recent jRPGs around 2015-2016 minus Soulborne and some 3DS titles).

Nintendo is a last man standing before mobile eat them all.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Ōkami;226160217 said:
Just want to mention again that FFXV didn't had the highest digital opening in Japan ever, just the biggest for Square Enix.

That's substantially less impressive, what's the last big game SE even released in Japan.

MilkBeard

Ōkami;226160217 said:

Are we sure about that? It's hard to say, as the wording was in all the articles and translations as the best opening in Japan for digital day one. Nothing specified SE game or games in general.

So if this is the case, what is the best digital opening for an SE game?

Zedark

Are we sure about that? It's hard to say, as the wording was in all the articles and translations as the best opening in Japan for digital day one. Nothing specified SE game or games in general.

So if this is the case, what is the best digital opening for an SE game?

I think people argued that Square has no access to digital sales numbers, and therefore could only judge their own digital sales.

Top Bottom