• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2013 (Nov 25 - Dec 01)

BriBri

I just got emailed some Enterbrain data (thanks Mr. Source! X). Please don't harm Kuma Tomo if you object to them being posted;-)

LTDs:

Luigi 2 (3DS) > 930k

SML3D (3DS) < 1,9M

Medarot (3DS) <30k

Yokai Watch (3DS) >220k

WE2014 (3DS) >20k

Powapura 2013 (PS3) >200k

Last week bombs (sell-through):

Kamen Raider (3DS) <30%

Pretty Rhythm: Rainbow Love (3DS) <45%

Toriko (3DS) <50%

Daigasso Band Brother P (3DS) <35% (third week)

Medarot Dual (3DS) <45% (third week)

Taiko no Tatsujin (WiiU) <25% (second week)

crinale

I'm wondering do kids play anything other than Nintendo games at 3DS? By visiting Japanese game stores nowadays I'm seeing slight difference of audience between DS & 3DS (I'm not talking about the size).

Sage00

Once And Future Member
PS4's Japan launch window is actually starting to look pretty decent now.

MGS5: Ground Zeroes
Yakuza Ishin
Dynasty Warriors 8
FFXIV Beta
Dream Club Host Girl
Doki Doki Universe
Hohokum
Drive Club
Knack
Killzone
Strider Hiryu
Call of Duty Ghosts
Assassins Creed
Battlefield 4
Natural Doctrine
FIFA 14

Tripon

I just got emailed some Enterbrain data (thanks Mr. Source! X). Please don't harm Kuma Tomo if you object to them being posted;-)

LTDs:

Luigi 2 (3DS) > 930k

SML3D (3DS) < 1,9M

Medarot (3DS) <30k

Yokai Watch (3DS) >220k

WE2014 (3DS) >20k

Powapura 2013 (PS3) >200k

Last week bombs (sell-through):

Kamen Raider (3DS) <30%

Pretty Rhythm: Rainbow Love (3DS) <45%

Toriko (3DS) <50%

Daigasso Band Brother P (3DS) <35% (third week)

Medarot Dual (3DS) <45% (third week)

Taiko no Tatsujin (WiiU) <25% (second week)

Jeez, Luigi: Dark Moon is going to sell over 2 million worldwide, who would have thought that when it first came out?

Ugh, looks like Gaist Crusher really bombed... come to think of it, it looks like a checklist of what's popular with kids crammed into a game. Which is a shame, because it looks fun enough.

Looks like publishers should really stop going for that kid market on the 3DS.

Is a good game though ? I thought I heard negative impressions .

Gambit

Now this is not based on anything but my own assumption, but I was wondering if Japanese sales trends would give credence to the theory.

To me the 3DS feels more like a continuation of the PSP than the DS.

It is missing the, for lack of a better word, "casual" megasellers and instead gained more "console-like" games such as Resident Evil Revelations, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Kid Icarus. Games that aren't quite as snack-sized. You can't properly play them with only five-ten mins to spare.

So the 3DS is, for me, the successor to the PSP (and even has Monster Hunter), while the DS successor is mobile-gaming.

Is this theory tenable?

Tripon

As far as I know, it already sold more than 2 million worldwide. (Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong)

No, you're right. Forgot to count Europe's numbers in my head. I just had the U.S. and Japan. Okay, change that to 3 million. =P

cacildo

i dont understand how winning eleven got terrible numbers on the 3ds

i dont like soccer games, but if i did, i sure would like to have em on the 3ds

Glass Rebel

Google Translate makes it look like Luigi is in charge of Yodobashi

WNxKiBp.png

crinale

i dont understand how winning eleven got terrible numbers on the 3ds

i dont like soccer games, but if i did, i sure would like to have em on the 3ds

Baseball game did like crap on 3DS too IIRC. Somehow sports game fans aren't going with 3DS.
Kinda strange trend because Nintendo's portable was the platform of choice regarding baseball game, in Japan of course.

L~A

As far as I know, it already sold more than 2 million worldwide. (Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong)

Yup, Nintendo already announced that Luigi's Mansion was at 3 million already. And for some reason, Nintendo is really pushing it for the holidays (in Europe), so it might very well reach 4million LTD at the very end of the 3DS life.

DrWong

Yup, Nintendo already announced that Luigi's Mansion was at 3 million already. And for some reason, Nintendo is really pushing it for the holidays (in Europe), so it might very well reach 4million LTD at the very end of the 3DS life.

I can understand that, it's a consistent long seller and is even performing slightly better than MK7 on amazon (France). It wouldn't surprise me if it ends with a 4M+ LTD. I'm sure Nintendo has some interesting datas which makes them push the title this winter with TV ads and so on...

Lexxism

Last figure we got from Nintendo was 3.13m.

Ohhhh. I thought it was just around 2 million. Looks like the game really did well. I'm happy for this game.

No, you're right. Forgot to count Europe's numbers in my head. I just had the U.S. and Japan. Okay, change that to 3 million. =P

Change that again to 4 million this time XD

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Dragon Quest X is only an expansion or includes the original?

Same question here.

Also, I assume it's very likely that Luigi's Mansion 2 will eventually cross 1 million in Japan right? I don't think it'll do it this year without a massive holiday spike (which would be insane), but it's still really impressive.

Road

Dragon Quest X is only an expansion or includes the original?

According to the description, the release is only the added content and you need to have the original game (and a registration code, which I assume came with it)
&#8251;&#12466;&#12540;&#12512;&#12477;&#12501;&#12488;&#12302;&#12489;&#12521;&#12468;&#12531;&#12463;&#12456;&#12473;&#12488;X&#12288;&#30496;&#12428;&#12427;&#21191;&#32773;&#12392;&#23566;&#12365;&#12398;&#30431;&#21451;&#12288;&#12458;&#12531;&#12521;&#12452;&#12531;&#12303;&#12434;&#12503;&#12524;&#12452;&#12377;&#12427;&#12383;&#12417;&#12395;&#12399;&#12289;&#12302;&#12489;&#12521;&#12468;&#12531;&#12463;&#12456;&#12473;&#12488;X&#12288;&#30446;&#35226;&#12417;&#12375;&#20116;&#12388;&#12398;&#31278;&#26063;&#12288;&#12458;&#12531;&#12521;&#12452;&#12531;&#12303;&#12398;&#12477;&#12501;&#12488;&#12362;&#12424;&#12403;&#12524;&#12472;&#12473;&#12488;&#12524;&#12540;&#12471;&#12519;&#12531;&#12467;&#12540;&#12489;&#12364;&#24517;&#35201;&#12391;&#12377;&#12290;
http://store.jp.square-enix.com/detail/WUP-P-ANYJ

For FFXI, Square Enix used to release two SKUs: one with the expansion alone (~4000 yen) and another with the game + expansion(s) (~8000 yen).

Hey THANK YOU SO MUCH! The graph at the conference shows Famitsu's revised early N64 figures, wow great find, their original figures were so low, I can finally update my dead low early famitsu N64 data!

BUT, there are no PSX charts at that link, just PS2, PSP, PS3... where'd the PSX data come from?
Oh, I thought it was from the same article, but this the image: http://abload.de/img/famitsups1firstmonthspzs8o.jpg

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
According to the description, the release is only the added content and you need to have the original game (and a registration code, which I assume came with it)
http://store.jp.square-enix.com/detail/WUP-P-ANYJ

For FFXI, Square Enix used to release two SKUs: one with the expansion alone (~4000 yen) and another with the game + expansion(s) (~8000 yen).

Oh, I thought it was from the same article, but this the image: http://abload.de/img/famitsups1firstmonthspzs8o.jpg

Well I guess if sales of the expansion are good, at least it's good for Square Enix. I doubt it alone will push new consoles though unless they buy the original one.

BriBri

Is a good game though ? I thought I heard negative impressions .
I bought Gaist Crusher, Toriko and One Piece. GC is very fast paced and a fun game but rather repetitive, TUS has the worst camera and framerate in the world but amazing monsters and OPUW is the best game of the three, not as good as MH but plays significantly differently.

Scum

Maybe it's high time Nintendo and Sony shifted their "elderly" IPs onto thier handhelds and put out new ones on their consoles. GT on Vita might not be a bad idea...

Last figure we got from Nintendo was 3.13m.

Good God! I had no idea. I knew it had sold brilliantly, but damn! :eek:

RalchAC

Now this is not based on anything but my own assumption, but I was wondering if Japanese sales trends would give credence to the theory.

To me the 3DS feels more like a continuation of the PSP than the DS.

It is missing the, for lack of a better word, "casual" megasellers and instead gained more "console-like" games such as Resident Evil Revelations, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Kid Icarus. Games that aren't quite as snack-sized. You can't properly play them with only five-ten mins to spare.

So the 3DS is, for me, the successor to the PSP (and even has Monster Hunter), while the DS successor is mobile-gaming.

Is this theory tenable?

That pretty much sums why the Vita isn't selling that well. The casual DS audience in on smartphones, the mainstream gamer is on the 3DS and the Vita gets mostly some niche audiences (co-op games, fighting games, some JRPGs franchises, visual novels fans...).

Still, the 3DS has some games that could bring part of those casuals to the platform. Animal Crossing looks really attractive for some of the old Wii/DS audience (like ladies, for example xD).

Puzzle and Dragons Z will be atractive for casual players too, especially if they can buy the 3DS for cheap. I think the OG model will be more atractive for this kind of player, but we'll see.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Tsutaya's weekly report: http://mantan-web.jp/2013/12/10/20131210dog00m200015000c.html (using Google Translator)

- People don't know Gran Turismo 6 is out
- Attack of the Titan sold out
- Large number of pre-orders for Puzzle & Dragons Z

Honestly GT6's marketing cycle was kind of bizarre.

It was announced at a side event, had some 30-60 second appearances at conferences, and then had a couple of youtube videos.

I wonder if they regretted the platform choice and decided to keep it low key while quickly shoving out GT7 (presumably an up-ported GT6 with a few changes), given Kaz keeps talking about there only being 1-2 years until the next game is out.

That or perhaps interest in the series has just nigh-completely died since GT5 came out, but that would be a pretty fast fall-off given GT5 shipped a lot of copies in the end.

Honestly GT6's marketing cycle was kind of bizarre.

It was announced at a side event, had some 30-60 second appearances at conferences, and then had a couple of youtube videos.

I wonder if they regretted the platform choice and decided to keep it low key while quickly shoving out GT7 (presumably an up-ported GT6 with a few changes), given Kaz keeps talking about there only being 1-2 years until the next game is out.

That or perhaps interest in the series has just nigh-completely died since GT5 came out, but that would be a pretty fast fall-off given GT5 shipped a lot of copies in the end.

I defended Sony releasing the amount of games on PS3 this year, but GT6 felt really strange being a PS4 title. Especially since it is being released after the PS4 has come out. For a series known for it's visuals this was a bizarre decision for sure. I also imagine most are skipping this in anticipation of a PS4 version not being far away and say what you want but Driveclub has been marketed much better so perhaps that is stealing some thunder.

Shengar

Tsutaya's weekly report: http://mantan-web.jp/2013/12/10/20131210dog00m200015000c.html (using Google Translator)

- People don't know Gran Turismo 6 is out
- Attack of the Titan sold out
- Large number of pre-orders for Puzzle & Dragons Z

Apparently, Sega is making a F2P game for the 3DS, beta in January, release in Spring 2014.

How the actual fuck that can be happening
edgeworth-damage.gif

Really SCEJ, what the actual fuck happened to your head letting one of your top 1st IP title went unnoticed like that?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I defended Sony releasing the amount of games on PS3 this year, but GT6 felt really strange being a PS4 title. Especially since it is being released after the PS4 has come out. For a series known for it's visuals this was a bizarre decision for sure. I also imagine most are skipping this in anticipation of a PS4 version not being far away and say what you want but Driveclub has been marketed much better so perhaps that is stealing some thunder.

Right, I feel Forza, Need For Speed, and DriveClub have all been given much more front facing attention from their respective publishers than GT6 got.

I mean I follow this stuff daily and *I* barely realized that GT6 is out, haha.

Thorgal

Now i am wondering if we willl see people lining up in front of the stores for PDZ.

And will there be pictures of it ?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yup, comes from the Famitsu magazine, but no info at all for now. Will be a F2P title, apparently.

The first F2P for 3DS announced right after the update that brings NNID, united funds and Miiverse on the platform...strange coincidence.

Takao

Banned
Is it even coming to North America?

It's a licensed game attached to a franchise that has had limited success in North America.

@SmokyDave I wouldn't lose sleep over this one. It sounds like it's some sort of endless runner thing, and not a racer like the older games.

Takao

Banned
Pardon the double post, but I have some more sales news to share:

Falcom has reported that total sales of Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky has surpassed 500,000 copies. Unfortunately they don't seem to mention if this is a global number shared across the PC, PS3 and PSP versions or just what they've done in Japan.*

*Only the PSP version has left Japan.

hiska-kun

Let's add more Puzzle & Dragons Z craziness. Currently sold out on Amazon.jp before its release.

Edit: ok, never mind. In stock again while i was posting this lol

Edit 2: Sold out again.

BriBri

Let's add more Puzzle & Dragons Z craziness. Currently sold out on Amazon.jp before its release.

Edit: ok, never mind. In stock again while i was posting this lol
It's sold out on Play-Asia. Btw, do their sales count towards the Media Create/Famitsu numbers?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Right now, World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 for 3DS (#59) is charting higher than ... the PS3 version (#74). I think this is the first time ever on Amazon that a Nintendo SKU of WE is higher than a PlayStation one. The heck is going on.

Top Bottom