• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2013 (Nov 25 - Dec 01)

Busaiku

It's kind of crazy how Monster Hunter is doing amazing on 3DS, but all of the inspired games are not.
I guess the publishers made the right call.

Though then again, they've only been licensed games and/or primarily for children.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It's kind of crazy how Monster Hunter is doing amazing on 3DS, but all of the inspired games are not.
I guess the publishers made the right call.

Though then again, they've only been licensed games and/or primarily for children.
Solid MH type games like God Eater would sell on DS as well... Why would get a shoehorned licensed 3DS title when you also have the real MH on the system? Publishers gotta try harder if the want to target the MH playing 3DS market.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Solid MH type games like God Eater would sell on DS as well... Why would get a shoehorned licensed 3DS title when you also have the real MH on the system? Publishers gotta try harder if the want to target the MH playing 3DS market.

It's true, it's not like other hunting games weren't popular on the psp. Presumably a lot of the fans of the genre are already on the 3DS.

Quantity and diversity. Two SCEJ games consecutively will be monster hunter genre games. Granted, Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars have different style, but the core gameplay is still similar. They should resurrect old IPs like Folklore or Patapon. It's quite irony that worldwide Sony studios slated out more content diversity with Killzone Mercenaries and Tearaway while Vita selling like garbage outside of Japan

Did Gravity Rush suddenly cease to exist? Furthermore, they're developing a sequel to a Japanese PS1 cult classic (that was remade for PSP).

I don't what stopping them from co-developing Valkyria Chonicles with Sega for Vita. Sony should have the resources to do it, brought the series to a brighter spotlight.

SEGA isn't interested. Japanese developers in general seem less interested in pushing a plethora of full handheld games like they were willing to at the beginning of the PSP era. Whatever funding doesn't go to 3DS isn't going to go to Vita. It's going to smart phones. Remember, MH4 is funding Capcom's new smart phone division.

New releases not present in either Top 20:

[3DS] Gaist Crusher
[3DS] Gaist Crusher (Bakuatsu! Gaifon Set)

[PSV] Tearaway

[WIU] Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games

All of this is heart breaking.

First Puppeteer and now Tearaway.

I thought Gungho were being quite lofty when they said they expected 1m from P&DZ... Now it's looking like it will actually get there.
80%+ drop incoming?
Are you basing this on position? There were 8 releases that pushed it out of the top 10 plus the looming holidays will cause some games to rise.

Shengar

Did Gravity Rush suddenly cease to exist? Furthermore, they're developing a sequel to a Japanese PS1 cult classic (that was remade for PSP).

SEGA isn't interested. Japanese developers in general seem less interested in pushing a plethora of full handheld games like they were willing to at the beginning of the PSP era. Whatever funding doesn't go to 3DS isn't going to go to Vita. It's going to smart phones. Remember, MH4 is funding Capcom's new smart phone division.

Gravity Rush was a launch game, and its sequel, still far on the horizon. The closest one we can get is SS Delta and Freedom Wars, both monster hunting game. If they release something different in between those two games, I would hardly complain and worry.

All of this is heart breaking.

First Puppeteer and now Tearaway.
3D platformer doomed to fail in Japan D:

mrjohill

Yeah I think they were touting it as the MoHu for kids or something.

I even think they went so far and made some mini animu or manga series on it

That probably should have waited to release it next year or something after everyone was done with monhun 4

Busaiku

That probably should have waited to release it next year or something after everyone was done with monhun 4

I guess this could be a problem as well.
Toriko, One Piece, Attack on Titan, and Gaist Crusher all targeting the same market, all releasing after Monster Hunter 4, and all releasing within 2 months.

cafemomo

I think they wanted to ride on the MoHu 4 success. But yeah, I agree with you that they should have of waited til next year.

Marketing for Puppeteer was not shit. It was being promoted a lot in stores, some places even had free rental demo discs which is quite rare.

Maybe not for Puppeteer, but for Tearaway it was bit crappy and weird from what I've seen they put up on their YouTube channel

duckroll

Can somebody please translate the gist of this regarding Bravely Default? http://smartphone.acquire.co.jp/rtd/special/collabo/bdfts/

It's just a promotional collaboration between Road to Dragons and Bravely Default. There are no details on it yet, but they want people to follow the twitter account for Road to Dragons to get the latest news on it.

I'm not sure what this has to do with Media Create or Japanese sales though. Wouldn't it have made more sense to ask in a Bravely Default thread? Lol.

I thought Gungho were being quite lofty when they said they expected 1m from P&DZ... Now it's looking like it will actually get there.

Are you basing this on position? There were 8 releases that pushed it out of the top 10 plus the looming holidays will cause some games to rise.

It's below AC4 on both Comg and Tsutaya. I expect it to do less than 20k this week.

zeroshiki

Gravity Rush was a launch game, and its sequel, still far on the horizon. The closest one we can get is SS Delta and Freedom Wars, both monster hunting game. If they release something different in between those two games, I would hardly complain and worry.

Over My Dead Body 2 (Ore no Shikabane wo Koete Yuke 2) is slated to be released in Summer 2014. That's not a monster hunting game.

crinale

Well if something heavily promoted like Gaist bombs then there's no chance going against Monster Hunter, unless IP is established at the past gen.
It is like selling new IP is extremely hard (it is possible but still hard), but IMO it may be common at the worldwide market.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Well if something heavily promoted like Gaist bombs then there's no chance going against Monster Hunter, unless IP is established at the past gen.
It is like selling new IP is extremely hard (it is possible but still hard), but IMO it may be common at the worldwide market.
I don't know from the looks of it doesn't have much in common with the typical MH type games beginning from the monster designs. Game might be solid but if you would have told me that it's a 4 Player licensed Power Rangers title I would believe you. Generic kids IP marketed the same way.... But these kids are playing Pokemon and Puzzle Dragon... And the older ones can play MH4 with all of their friends.

What I'm saying that Geist Crusher was a need idea, but at the end it isn't a compelling enough game to attract the masses. SE also had to learn it with their 3DS/Arcade game Bomba RPG. They are underestimating their target base and the other available options they have access to.

Ratrat

So, they did just above the absolute bear minimum to let people know the game existed?
Was more than they did for 3D Dot heroes or Tokyo Jungle, Gravity Rush etc... It's not why it didn't sell. People weren't interested.
Also lots of advertising space IN STORES is not the bare minimum.

L Thammy

The hunting action game situation might be easier to understand if you take Monster Hunter out of the equation. It might not be the people who buy Monster Hunter that buy the alternatives.

In fact, God Eater doesn't appear to have been impacted by the Monster Hunter move at all. As far as I know, they're more story-heavy anime games, which seem like the type of thing that have traditionally been successful on PlayStation systems.

That said, I don't think we've seen a serious attempt on the 3DS yet. As people have been noting, Nintendo has really launched most of their reliable franchises on the system already (except Kirby), so this might be the best time for them to try to develop and promote new core-oriented IPs. Puzzle and Dragons - which is new for their systems - being an example.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, Gaist Crusher bombed (badly), but it seems One Piece is doing quite well and Attack on Titans had a good debut as well(it's also still 7th on Amazon, with just an 8% discount), while Toriko sold badly due to a franchise falling in popularity. I'm pretty interested to see next 3DS efforts in the genre.

hiska-kun

Yeah, Gaist Crusher bombed (badly), but it seems One Piece is doing quite well and Attack on Titans had a good debut as well(it's also still 7th on Amazon, with just an 8% discount), while Toriko sold badly due to a franchise falling in popularity. I'm pretty interested to see next 3DS efforts in the genre.

Quite well? The first two weeks have been a disappointment. Fortunately Christmas will help the game to sell the first shipment without going to the bomba bins. But if this game had been released in summer instead, probably would be already there.

Orgen

Lol Comgnet ranking.

Some of you are going to look really silly when P&DZ doesn't even open higher than 380k lol

Such a bold statement. Maybe it won't be a million seller FW but a 500.000 opening is very possible.

And it won't be the first time that people laugh at you instead of being laughed ;P

The hunting action game situation might be easier to understand if you take Monster Hunter out of the equation. It might not be the people who buy Monster Hunter that buy the alternatives.

In fact, God Eater doesn't appear to have been impacted by the Monster Hunter move at all. As far as I know, they're more story-heavy anime games, which seem like the type of thing that have traditionally been successful on PlayStation systems.

I don't see any reason why hunting fanbase would be diffrent than shooter fanbase in west.

You have big group who buys CoD every year then you have smaller group which buys every BF - there's some overlap between those groups but not every BF buyer will get CoD.

And most of succesfull "clones" have something that makes them diffrent from MH.

God Eater - good story and anime like characters
Phantasy Star - don't know this one well enough but IP is older than MH itself
Soul Sacrifice - faster gameplay, unique setting
Toukiden/ Ragnarok Odyssey - similar to MH but on diffrent platform

L~A

Ugh, looks like Gaist Crusher really bombed... come to think of it, it looks like a checklist of what's popular with kids crammed into a game. Which is a shame, because it looks fun enough.

Looks like publishers should really stop going for that kid market on the 3DS.

vareon

Attack on Titan placing higher that Gaist Crusher is kind of sad. Predictable, though.
Edit: Inazuma Eleven, too. Next up: Sega with Hero Bank!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I have different opinion who will look silly next week.

It's Kandisky magical power: it always happens the exact contrary of what it says. Behold his mystical and quite frustrating ability of being completely wrong every time! That's the legendary Kandisky.

Top Bottom