• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2014 (Nov 24 - Nov 30)

casiopao

First weeks:

[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable - 329,455
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 - 284,883
[PSV] Phantasy Star Nova - 107,638 

[3DS] Etrian Odyssey IV - 95,506
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold - 88.278
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold - 59.531

RIP in peaces

Sadness.T_T Hope that Atlus and.....Sega lol they are both the same company here.^_^

Atlus will give some break for EO series. Maybe late december for EO 5? Or even early 2016. Just give the fans spin off on 2015.

For Phantasy Star........the demo poison the well.

Shengar

First weeks:

[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable - 329,455
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 - 284,883
[PSV] Phantasy Star Nova - 107,638 

[3DS] Etrian Odyssey IV - 95,506
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold - 88,278
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold - 59,531

RIP in peaces

Does the release time can affect sales?

allan-bh

Phantasy Star Nova SUPER bomba. (Relatively speaking)

That's very disappointing for a Vita exclusive with this importance.

What's the expectation on Captain Toad?

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker 12.211 / 54.053 (-12%)

Steady sales with a limit at 125-150k LTD?

sörine

Banned
So another long time running JRPG series bites the dust. Not many are left now.
Which one, EO or PS?

EO has a sequel and spinoff already announced. PS (or PSO, real PS died 2 decades ago) will keep going too, probably just not on Vita.

zeromcd73

So another long time running JRPG series bites the dust. Not many are left now.
Tales of is coming too! Comgnet 50 days before launch:

[PS3] Tales of Zestiria - 159pt
[PS3] Tales of Xillia - 360pt
[PS3] Tales of Xillia 2 - 203pt

It's all over for everything (´・ω・`)

duckroll

tri-Ace really can't catch a break. Their 3DS and PSP games all cratered, their Vita Phantasy Star game is severely underperforming, I doubt the F2P Vita game is doing particularly well, and considering the decline in arcades, that new Silent Scope game they developed is probably a bust too. RIP.

Thoraxes

I don't think people who never played an EO game and enters the franchise via Persona Q would want to play another one just 6 months later though. These games are -really- long, and dungeon RPGs in general are pretty exhausting. It's really easy to burn out on the experience after putting 50-60 hours or more into one.

I know i'm in that boat. I find it really hard to play too many of this type of game in a row. Last year when EOU came out in the west, it was only about ~7 months after the release of IV, and I just couldn't bring myself to play it more than maybe 12 hours because of that very thing. I doubt i'm alone.

It's all over for everything (´・ω・`)
Interesting, I thought Zestiria was doing well.

Zestiria ζ coming for PS4.

EOU2 underperformed, but it's not that this would prevent Atlus to keep the IP going (it has two more games coming). EO games are cheap to produce; EOU2 will surely reach the 100k mark when it's all said and done, which is still a super-consistent result at the 6th entry in the series in 7 years.

I don't think people who never played an EO game and enters the franchise via Persona Q would want to play another one just 6 months later though. These games are -really- long, and dungeon RPGs in general are pretty exhausting. It's really easy to burn out on the experience after putting 50-60 hours or more into one.

This might be a reason. I just though that the incredible sales of PQ might have convinced someone to enter the franchise; maybe they did buying used copies of previous games ;)

"Everything" being Comgnet.

And those sources that provide use with first day sales or reliable predictions.

crinale

Some people said they were not milking the EO series, lol. And two more are on the way. >.<

This.

and this.

In recent years there were way too many DRPGS released and ppl are starting get fatigued out.
Atlus better give next EO some time so audience can "recharge" their motivation, but who knows :p

Asd202

sörine;141427891 said:
Which one, EO or PS?

EO has a sequel and spinoff already announced. PS (or PSO, real PS died 2 decades ago) will keep going too, probably just not on Vita.

Yeah I meant Phantasy Star I doubt SEGA will make another game with that name well outside of mobile.

It's all over for everything (´&#12539;&#969;&#12539;&#65344;)

Guess this time even cutting costs won't help. :p

tri-Ace really can't catch a break. Their 3DS and PSP games all cratered, their Vita Phantasy Star game is severely underperforming, I doubt the F2P Vita game is doing particularly well, and considering the decline in arcades, that new Silent Scope game they developed is probably a bust too. RIP.

Maybe they'll all go working for that new SE studio after tri-Ace is closed? :p

duckroll

This might be a reason. I just though that the incredible sales of PQ might have convinced someone to enter the franchise; maybe they did buying used copies of previous games ;)

Yeah that's also a factor. In the six months since PQ, if anyone was crazy enough to finish it and immediately want MORE, there are still 5 entries to choose from, each probably cheaper than a brand new EOU2.

vareon

This.

and this.

In recent years there were way too many DRPGS released and ppl are starting get fatigued out.
Atlus better give next EO some time so audience can "recharge" their motivation, but who knows :p

Has this ever happened? Give franchise that shows signs of fatigue for a rest, then have a successful launch a few years later? I'm not talking about reboot or revival here.

Hellraider

Yeah, that's terrible for PSN. Before I blame Sony, actually make that "After I blame Sony" what do we know about the game's quality? Maybe it was that bad?

EOU2's timing was really questionable. I doubt we would have seen that drop had PQ not been released so close to it.

I like Etrian Odyssey, but man, those games eat up a lot of your free time. Yet, they keep releasing EO games like there's no tomorrow! No wonder people aren't excited about buying another one.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For EO, maybe this is not an issue in Japan, but at least if this was the West I would note it's harder to sell something in the same series with lower production values after selling something with higher production values in the same series, especially if it's not a digitally downloaded reboot made 10 years later in a dead franchise.

We're not even talking about a console -> handheld switch here.

And yes it's a 60+ hour game six months after the last.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Didn't expect EOU2 to be around 60,000 units sold. I though about 80,000. Still, while not on par with the others, I suppose it's not such a letdown, considering it's a remake we're talking about, not a new entry.

But yeah, Atlus should give EOV some time to breath, especially since EO x MD is happening this March.

so it was really a bomba :/

kudos to Pennywise

anyway, 3DS difference between M-C and Famitsu is very high, but considering LTD Famitsu is still above, so probably they overestimated in the past ?

30./26. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800) - 4.165 / 4.201.501 <80-100%> (+72%)

what's happening here ?
don't answer "winter holidays effect" cause AC was already rising last week

Mpl90

And yeah, didn't certainly expect Phantasy Star Nova to be that low compared to expectations. A pretty poor debut indeed.

duckroll

Didn't expect EOU2 to be around 60,000 units sold. I though about 80,000. Still, while not on par with the others, I suppose it's not such a letdown, considering it's a remake we're talking about, not a new entry.

But yeah, Atlus should give EOV some time to breath, especially since EO x MD is happening this March.

Nah, being a remake is no excuse. It's not like it's cheaper to make or that Atlus has lower expectations for it. The games are all expected to sell about the same, and EOU and EOU2 both have higher production values than EO4. They have fully animated movie scenes, voice acting for characters, more story, and all the dungeon floors and stuff are redesigned, so it's pretty much a new game.

so it was really a bomba :/

kudos to Pennywise

anyway, 3DS difference between M-C and Famitsu is very high, but considering LTD Famitsu is still above, so probably they overestimated in the past ?

what's happening here ?
don't answer "winter holidays effect" cause AC was already rising last week

probably from new 3ds owners who never owned any version of the 3ds.

Blue-kun

Compared to PSP, Nova's numbers are pretty awful, but I'm really wondering just how much people they were able to attract with that game. I know PSP also had a fair bit of PSU to it, but I've been hearing from people that Nova completely feels like you're playing PSO2, which you can already do on your Vita, for free, so I'm not too sure on what the appeal of the game is supposed to be.

But oh well, it's not like this is the first time SEGA takes some weird decisions re: their PS brand.

a few months ago I suggested YW2 might break 3 million before December, obviously this was before the 3rd version was announced, well it didn't quite make it but by famitsu it's just 80k shy, considering the announcement that's pretty incredible

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What are the impressions/reviews on PSN?

zeromcd73

Nova is the end of major exclusives for Vita?
Looking at next years release schedule for Vita has God Eater 2 RB, Sword Art LS, and Kancolle Kai as potential being the only games that could sell over 100k.

But just what will push Vita hardware next year? There are lots of small anime games already selling to the already existing audience, the two biggest games are already franchises on the system already but this time multi plat (SAO PS3 & GE2 PS4), and it doesn't have the benefits of this year starting out with a new model.

Alrus

That's even worse than I expected for PSN, guess that demo and the weird way they want about promoting the game hurt sales (on top of PSO2 being available on the same platform and this game not looking different enough). Guess the series is done on portable.

How is that Pokemon drop compared to HG/SS by the way?

And YW2 will still probably reach 3 mil before it's done selling, that's mighty impressive. Can't wait to see how 2.5 performs.

Mpl90

13./08. [WIU] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker <ADV> (Nintendo) {2014.11.13} (¥3.996) - 11.807 / 55.335 <60-80%> (-13%)

Hopefully, it goes selling around 150,000 in the end and gives Nintendo confidence that developing spin-offs of major series at lower prices can be a good idea, especially on the "lower prices" part.

Hopefully, Splatoon demonstrates it's cool to release brand new "important" IPs as well, but it's still the Wii U we're talking about ._.

Mpl90

sörine;141429310 said:
New 3DS also went down this week, and was the only 3DS model to do so. Weird.

IIRC, as Road posted, last week New 3DS was boosted by special editions at Pokémon Centres. So, this week we see the result between the end of the initial demand for those limited SKUs and the first week where sales start rising, I think.

Ah, right...dat difference between Famitsu and MC about 3DS. It seriously seems like Famitsu isn't that keen about Nintendo right no- *sees PS4 and Wii U on both trackers* wait a second.

Top Bottom