• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2011 (Dec 05 - Dec 11)

Alrus

It's a bit pointless to do calculation like these if we don't know what Sony shipped exactly, or what's the divide between the 3G and Wi-Fi version...

We'll get Famitsu numbers soon anyway.

It's a bit pointless to do calculation like these if we don't know what Sony shipped exactly, or what's the divide between the 3G and Wi-Fi version...

We'll get Famitsu numbers soon anyway.

Yeah, probably tomorrow.
did we get earlier projections for 3DS last february?

Does anyone have first week launch sales of systems handy (sorry to be a bother)? I was under the impression that Nintendo and Sony systems sell quite well their launch week but the following weeks are more indicative. Like with the 3DS which sold quite well launch week but subsequent weeks shortly began flashing warning signs.

iceatcs

Assume, 300K to 455K. Not bad but I think it is little high. About under 300K might be sound better just like most of their launches.

test_account

XP-39C²
If the first quote was a joke, then it flew over my head. Care to explain it to me?

The 2nd quote, the guy just said that he didnt see any benefits with 3G, and i mentioned one benefit. It might not be something that he care much about, but it is still a benefit over having just WiFi. So what didnt i get/understand here?

EDIT: So two people accuse me of not having text comprehention, but cant answer where it is? No offense, but i find that a bit ironic :p :)

Spiegel

Does anyone have first week launch sales of systems handy (sorry to be a bother)? I was under the impression that Nintendo and Sony systems sell quite well their launch week but the following weeks are more indicative. Like with the 3DS which sold quite well launch week but subsequent weeks immediately began flashing warning signs.

PS2 - 630,552
GBA - 611,504
DS - 441,485
3DS - 371,326
PSP - 166,074
PS3 - 88,443

Does anyone have first week launch sales of systems handy (sorry to be a bother)? I was under the impression that Nintendo and Sony systems sell quite well their launch week but the following weeks are more indicative. Like with the 3DS which sold quite well launch week but subsequent weeks shortly began flashing warning signs.
This shouldn't be an issue for Vita since it's following weeks lead into the holiday. It's hold in January should be what to watch.

This shouldn't be an issue for Vita since it's following weeks lead into the holiday. It's hold in January should be what to watch.

I agree. I was going to say next weeks but changed it to subsequent (or following, thought I used subsequent) weeks since I expect the holidays will keep the Vita up for a couple weeks. The real indicator will be in a few weeks, unless it collapses quickly of course.

For reference, PSP reached about 500K its fourth week.
2004-12-06

PSP was very supply constrained though right?

Yes, I think you're right although I could not swear by it, and Nintendo DS was sold-out as well during early weeks, if I recall correctly - or maybe this occurred when Brain Age games became a huge phenomenon and DS began to sell much better than expected.

spwolf

It makes Sony 50 extra dollars. :p

if they ever add an app store, then 3G version will be a must.... Chat (ICQ, AIM, MSN, etc), Internet, Skype, Youtube, etc, is why people buy Ipad 3G. It is not like you will stream Netflix pr any other movies over 3G Ipads either.

At least thats why I have it here in europe. I guess they should add ICS to that as well.
Also their rules on downloading things from store might differ country to country and be optional in future, just like with iOS.

Here we have very cheap up to 50 GB plans for 3G internet ($30/month for up to 5 devices, $45 for 50 GB / 20 devices). At those limits, you can do whatever you want except to watch too many movies.

It didn't have as much supply as the DS did but it was by no means selling out at retail. Initial results for the PSP that holiday were fairly dire.
The cheaper core pack was supply constrained iirc, and also made up a minority of upfront shipments. Same thing happened with the 20GB PS3 and I expect it'll be the same story for Vita Wi-Fi.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Before the big thing

Comgnet Preorders Daily Ranking

Date: 19 December 2011 (Mon) 08:00
Ranking is closed at December 18, 2011

[PS3] OROCHI 2 Warriors (Limited Edition) - 188pt
[PS3] Armored Core 5 - 151Pt
[PSP] Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's PORTABLE-THE GEARS OF DESTINY-GOD BOX Limited Edition - 118pt
[PS3] OG Super Robot Taisen 2 - 106pt
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIIIヴェルサス - 98Pt
[PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (dub version) - 65pt
[Wii] Inazuma Eleven Strikers Xtreme 2012 - 63pt
[3DS] SD Gundam GGENERATION 3D - 56pt
[PSP] I & II Machine God tier Super Robot Taisen OG Saga - 51pt
[PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2011 Ketteiban - 41pt
[PSP] BOX ☆ limitation agreement portable Madoka Magika Maho Shojo (Full, Limited Edition) - 40pt
[3DS] Resident Evil Revelations - 35pt
[3DS] NEW Love Plus - 33pt
[PSP] Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's Destiny Portable-OF-THE gears - 33Pt
[PS3] Metal Gear Solid Rising - 30pt
[PSP] I pretend Limited quantities Ta ぽ little friend "BOX very unfortunate girl × × game = shame" - 29pt
[Xbox360] Armored Core: five - 22Pt
[PSP] Tales of Heroes Limited Edition Premium Twin BOX Brave - 21pt
[PSP] Frontier Gate - 21pt
[PSV] Tales of Innocence R - 19pt

[Wii] Inazuma Eleven Strikers Xtreme 2012 - 63pt
[Wii] Inazuma Eleven Strikers - 83pt

The only comparison I can think of right now :p

And now, the real deal!!!

Comgnet Weekly Sales Ranking

Date: 19 December 2011 (Mon) 08:00
Index aggregation period: 18 December 2011 ~ December 12, 2011

[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 1341pt
[3DS] Monster 3G (Limited Edition) - 499pt
[3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 204pt
[PS3] BLAZBLUE CONTINUUM SHIFT EXTEND - 140pt
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven GO Shine - 124pt
[3DS] 3D Super Mario Land - 117pt
[Wii] Kirby of the Stars Wii - 116pt
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven GO Dark - 110pt
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam VS Extreme - 82pt
[PS3] th visitor Kamaitachi 11 pm True - 81pt
[PSP] LORD of APOCALYPSE (Lord of the Apocalypse) - 75pt
[Wii] JUST DANCE Wii (Just Dance Wii) - 70pt
[1053] GOLF6 everyone - 68pt
[NDS] peaked witch hat and stylish - 66pt
[NDS] One Piece Gigant Battle the New World 2 (Limited Edition) - 60pt
[Wii] Mario & Sonic Olympics in London AT - 58pt
[1053] Uncharted beginning of an adventure without a map - 54pt
[Wii] Wii Bundle Tatakon definitive Taiko no Tatsujin - 49pt
[Wii] The World Beyond PokePark 2 - 47pt
[1053] Lord of the Apocalypse - 42pt

[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 1341pt
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII - 2782pt

...Maybe, not doomed as we thought? :O

[3DS] Monster Hunter 3G - more than 500pt, less than 541pt, since the Circle Pad Pro Bundle version is absent from top20
[WII] Monster Hunter 3G - 298pt at least, since the CC Pro Bundle (what a coincidence! ) was missing from top 20

...Almost doubling MH3 second week?!? O_O

[3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go [ Shine / Dark ] - 234pt
[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2 [Fire / Blizzard] - 364pt

A 200k debut for Go sounds plausible. Maybe it did something more due to high hardware sales, but the highest possible I think is 250k with 3DS at 450k, to say

Kirby, Just Dance, Mario & Sonic, Taiko... the Wii software for mass audience is rising.
Not Zelda.

And now

How preorders went for Vita games in their last day

[PSV] GOLF6 everyone - 59pt
[PSV] Uncharted beginning of an adventure without a map - 45pt
[PSV] Disgaea Disgaea 3 Return - 34pt
[PSV] NEXT Dynasty Warriors - 33pt

Lord of Apocalypse is such a WTF presence, especially with the PSP version which almost doubles the Vita one.

3DS had as highest title Layton with 110pt, but Layton had 180pt of preorders (probably, it has been slowed by the launch sold out, such as has happened just last week to Monster Hunter ).

However, Vita games seem low, guys.

test_account

XP-39C²
[3DS] Monster Hunter 3G - more than 500pt, less than 541pt, since the Circle Pad Pro Bundle version is absent from top20
[WII] Monster Hunter 3G - 298pt at least, since the CC Pro Bundle (what a coincidence! ) was missing from top 20

...Almost doubling MH3 second week?!? O_O
Portable MH game + big holiday week, it wouldnt surprise me if the 2nd week numbers are about double compared to MH3's 2nd week. But i'm looking forward to see them anyway, exciting =)

Leezard

[PSP] I pretend Limited quantities Ta ぽ little friend "BOX very unfortunate girl × × game = shame" - 29pt

Now this one sounds a bit strange.

is it something like:
"[PSP] BOX ☆ limitation agreement portable Madoka Magika Maho Shojo (Full, Limited Edition) - 40pt"?

wrowa

If the first quote was a joke, then it flew over my head. Care to explain it to me?

Well, the first post was obviously a joke. I think we can safely assume that Gravijah visited elementary school and doesn't think that the symbol is a wizard's hat ;o

The 2nd quote, the guy just said that he didnt see any benefits with 3G, and i mentioned one benefit. It might not be something that he care much about, but it is still a benefit over having just WiFi. So what didnt i get/understand here?

You essentially explained him what 3G is being used for in general, but that wasn't his question. He knows what 3G does, he just isn't of the opinion that it adds much to a handheld device like the Vita. (His "Thank you, detective" was sarcasm btw ;p)

But don't take it too seriously, I was just kidding. I didn't intend to laugh about you or anything like that, so I hope you didn't get that impression.

And now

However, Vita games seem low, guys.

This is a very LOOSE extrapolation:

FFXIII - 2782 = 1,370,000 (let's exclude the PS3 bundle) x 490 roughly
FFXIII-2 - 1341 = 657,000 ?

Assuming the formula can work with Playstation brand (x 490)
the PS Vita:

Everybody's Golf6 - 33,000?
Uncharted - 26,000?
LOrd of Appocalypse - 21,000?

80,000? total

Doesn't matter, those are from one single retailer and don't give an accurate representation of the market, stop trying to guess exact numbers from them they'll always be wrong.

Believe me I know, I used to track this stuff including the COMGnet retailer for years.
It's ALL rough extrapolations but it just puts things in the right playing field.

freddy

Banned
Posting extrapolated comgent shit is IOI worthy. Perhaps you should make a website, you might get rich like he has.

muu

How are COMG points for Vita games relative to something like 3DS/PSP launch games? I doubt there's the same gamer population buying from game stores when you can get 10% point discounts and the like on the hardware buying from Yodobashi/Bic Camera, and numbers are probably lower in this case to reflect that. Sort of like the way Nintendo games have to be compared to other nintendo games because they don't track the same as 'gamer only' type games.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I sometimes wonder who lives in 2nd World country :)

Except that when I was in San Francisco I understood why my brother didn't care for iPad 3G while living there. Because free wifi is everywhere. In EU the situation (especially Italy) is laughable and a 3G-less device is basically useless unless you also carry an iPhone to act as hotspot.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i've been around a bit but i've absolutely NO IDEA what comgnet is or what this whole points business is about.

Is there a brief summary ?

Erethian

i've been around a bit but i've absolutely NO IDEA what comgnet is or what this whole points business is about.

Is there a brief summary ?

Pre-order listing, basically. At either a single store or a small range of stores, not exactly sure on that front.

Basically is the equivalent of looking at Amazon rankings, but with information on the number of pre-orders as well as their ranking.

Suffice to say it gets way more attention than it deserves; it's a curiosity, rather than any reliable indicator of sales performance.

Edit: Think people get the rankings from the store(s) website. http://www.comgnet.com/

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Pre-order listing, basically. At either a single store or a small range of stores, not exactly sure on that front.

Basically is the equivalent of looking at Amazon rankings, but with information on the number of pre-orders as well as their ranking.

Suffice to say it gets way more attention than it deserves; it's a curiosity, rather than any reliable indicator of sales performance.

Edit: Think people get the rankings from the store(s) website. http://www.comgnet.com/

awesome - thanks for clearing that up :)

Fantastical

Death Prophet

So basically JVGChartz?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
No, because these are based on actual data. The problem is pre-orders don't necessarily correlate to sales, so it's an indicator but not the absolute truth.

Chartz is just random numbers pulled out of some guys ass.

Yeah, I wasn't really serious. Nothing is as bad as Chartz.

Dalthien

So basically JVGChartz?
No, they are definitely more valuable than Chartz data. But obviously nowhere near as useful as an actual nationwide tracker such as Famitsu, Media-Create or Dengeki.

comgnet points are actual preorders at that particular retailer (and actual weekly sales data given at the end of each week). As with any single retailer, they will have a customer base that skews towards some genres and platforms more than others (much like how WalMart sells a very different proportion of casual software or Nintendo platforms than something like Gamestop).

So the actual points from comgnet don't necessarily mean much in terms of the nationwide performance, but the comgnet points can quite often be used to make reasonable comparisons between similar types of brands/genres.

For example, final preorder comg pts:

MH3 - 981
MH3G - 1266

Final Media Create preorders:

MH3 - 325k
MH3G - 444k

comg showed that MH3G preorders were about 1/3 higher than MH3, and Media Create ended up showing pretty much the same thing.

Obviously, this is just one retailer, and it will not provide a full representation of the entire country. But it can provide a fun and rough guide when it comes to comparing similar brands/types with prior comgnet performances.

Top Bottom