• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2011 (Dec 05 - Dec 11)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Today should be the day of Vita's numbers, if everything goes accoding to the keikaku.

No, they are definitely more valuable than Chartz data. But obviously nowhere near as useful as an actual nationwide tracker such as Famitsu, Media-Create or Dengeki.

comgnet points are actual preorders at that particular retailer (and actual weekly sales data given at the end of each week). As with any single retailer, they will have a customer base that skews towards some genres and platforms more than others (much like how WalMart sells a very different proportion of casual software or Nintendo platforms than something like Gamestop).

So the actual points from comgnet don't necessarily mean much in terms of the nationwide performance, but the comgnet points can quite often be used to make reasonable comparisons between similar types of brands/genres.

For example, final preorder comg pts:

MH3 - 981
MH3G - 1266

Final Media Create preorders:

MH3 - 325k
MH3G - 444k

comg showed that MH3G preorders were about 1/3 higher than MH3, and Media Create ended up showing pretty much the same thing.

Obviously, this is just one retailer, and it will not provide a full representation of the entire country. But it can provide a fun and rough guide when it comes to comparing similar brands/types with prior comgnet performances.
This.

Erethian

It's already mid-afternoon in Japan, right? Will the numbers be released in a few hours, or tomorrow?

Either somewhere around 4 hours from now (7pm Japan time) or the same time on Tuesday. That's when Famitsu released sales data for MH3G and Mario Kart 7.

Square is back with with his ultimate love for comgnet too, some things don't change.

It's weird, really. Media Create and Enterbrain (and Dengeki, but who cares lol) provide us with pretty extensive sales data on a weekly basis, but some people are still going ghetto with their Amazon and comgnet rankings.

Road

It's weird, really. Media Create and Enterbrain (and Dengeki, but who cares lol) provide us with pretty extensive sales data on a weekly basis, but some people are still going ghetto with their Amazon and comgnet rankings.
I must see my enemy fail or my god succeed ASAP. Waiting for days kills me.

Just look at 2ch: "real" Vita numbers have been posted every 30min.

Seriously. I mean, at best we can just assume that "high ranking = bigger chance of the title selling well, but there's no certainty in any of this". The amount of calculation and extrapolation those comgnet and amazon charts get seems a little excessive to me. For the majority of the hardware/software, they don't seem to indicate anything, and if there is a clear trend in the possible sales, most people figured it out without those rankings (f.e. surefire hits, expected bombs).

I still appreciate the inputs of people who compile the actual MC and Famitsu data the most. Joshua and Chris come to mind. The amount of historical sales data they provide is often better to predict future sales than indicators specifically meant to predict future sales. :)

watershed

Banned
That is if it passes the next weeks test...

Well, I was cynical about its launch. But now I guess for the first week it will do good, however, I still think even for next two weeks it will be grim, let alone Jan and Feb.

I see, I think it will do well thru the rest of the year being the traditional buying season. Once the new year starts then we'll see where the vita's weekly sales will settle.

That is if it passes the next weeks test...

Well, I was cynical about its launch. But now I guess for the first week it will do good, however, I still think even for next two weeks it will be grim, let alone Jan and Feb.

It'll sell fine through the holiday. Shipments are higher than I expected going by rumors, but I still expect Sony to move most of that stock pretty briskly. PSVita Wi-Fi will probably be perpetually undershipped and sold out, which has become a Sony tradition (PSP Core Pack, PS3 20GB).

Q1 might be rough though, the schedule is looking really barren compared to 3DS or even PSP.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well, the first post was obviously a joke. I think we can safely assume that Gravijah visited elementary school and doesn't think that the symbol is a wizard's hat ;o
Well, as you mention, it is a long time since we learned it, so it honestly didnt strike me as being a "this is a joke" question. Personally i actually sometimes mix up which of < and > that is "less" and "more". I thought the mention of the hat was just a funny way to ask it. But if it was a joke, then i missed it, fair enough :)

You essentially explained him what 3G is being used for in general, but that wasn't his question. He knows what 3G does, he just isn't of the opinion that it adds much to a handheld device like the Vita. (His "Thank you, detective" was sarcasm btw ;p)
Sure, i know he ment it like that. Reading my reply again, i can see that it looks more like i explain to him what 3G is, so i completely see why my reply on this was pointed out :) But i didnt mean it like that actually, i just ment that with 3G on Vita, then you have access to internet all the time, so you can use all the internet features that the Vita has (maybe not online gaming works for all games though) "everywhere" without having to worry about if there is a WiFi hotspot around. This feature is objectively a benefit i'd say. But of course, not everyone see it as a big enough benefit that they want to pay extra for it.

Yeah, i know it was sarcasm about the detective comment :) I tried to come up with a more witty respond, but i just went the "serious route" instead hehe (kinda like if you mess up and someone sarcasticly says "nicely done!", and then you reply "thanks").

But don't take it too seriously, I was just kidding. I didn't intend to laugh about you or anything like that, so I hope you didn't get that impression.
Nah, no worries, i mostly asked out of curiousity what you were referring too, i didnt exactly get hurt or offended :) And i didnt mean to sound rude with the comment i said about ironic, i hope that it wasnt understood like that.

If it helps, I feel bad about it now. It's the holiday season.
No worries =)

jcm

I still appreciate the inputs of people who compile the actual MC and Famitsu data the most. Joshua and Chris come to mind. The amount of historical sales data they provide is often better to predict future sales than indicators specifically meant to predict future sales. :)
Yep, and don't forget Road!

Alrus

I was very busy during last weeks. So, how is Vita supposed to debut: great, good or bad?

The first shipment is apparently pretty high, so it should have a pretty good start.

Unless Famitsu decided not to do any report this time, we'll know the numbers by tomorrow.

I want the Vita to do beyond expectations. We'll get good game support, Nintendo will have to give their best, and it would prove all those "handheld gaming is dead, Mario on iOS" articles wrong.

By the same token though maybe it will finally convince Japan that western games arent worth copying qnd they can get back to making their own games
Dragon Quest IX was influenced directly by Oblivion according to Hori. I think there's still lessons one can learn from looking outside your own market.

Boken

Banned
I want the Vita to do beyond expectations. We'll get good game support, Nintendo will have to give their best, and it would prove all those "handheld gaming is dead, Mario on iOS" articles wrong.

If Vita does well Nintendo stocks will hit rock bottom and nintendo will have to put mario on iOS out of desperation.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I was very busy during last weeks. So, how is Vita supposed to debut: great, good or bad?

The only certain thing so far about Vita are Comgnet numbers for software...and they're low.

The shipment of 700k are a rumor so far
The percentages were referred to a single store
Tomorrow Famitsu should share numbers.

Good, not great. It didn't sell out; you can still look around and find them easily. However, they probably sold through most of their initial shipment. I think I saw early estimates in the official thread saying that 84% of the WiFi models sold out, but only ~60% of the 3G ones.

The percentages were referred to a single store

Ah, nevermind then.

I was talking about this last week. Will any of the vita launch titles beat SM3DL, MK7 or MH3G in the next media create thread?

Also, do you guys think the Vita outsold the 3DS?

Top Bottom