• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2014 (Dec 08 - Dec 14)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
PS1 : Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting ( Kodansha ) { 1997-07-31 } - 32,646 / 75,048
PS2 : Hajime no Ippo: Victorious Boxers ( ESP Software ) { 2000-12-14 } - 85,206 / 342,113
PS2 : Hajime no Ippo: Victorious Boxers - Championship Version [Playstation 2 the Best] ( ESP Software ) { 2002-06-27 } - 22,198 / 193,986
PS2 : Hajime no Ippo 2: Victorious Road ( ESP Software ) { 2004-01-29 } - 133,764 / 208,304
PS2 : Hajime no Ippo: All Stars ( ESP Software ) { 2004-12-28 } - 30,183 / 72,801
WII : Hajime no Ippo: Revolution ( AQ Interactive ) { 2007-06-21 } - 25,480 / 54,318
PSP : Hajime no Ippo Portable: Victorious Spirits ( Grandprix Inc. ) { 2007-12-20 } - 16,000 / 45,515
NDS : Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting! DS ( ESP Software ) { 2008-12-04 } - 1,500 / 11,210
PS3 : Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting! ( Bandai Namco ) { 2014-12-11 } - 9,247 / 9,247

I don't know enough about Nobunaga's Ambition to want to tackle that list JapanLTD is throwing at me.
I see the series still has a big following.

Takao

Banned
I see the series still has a big following.

should've done a ps4 version for a 4k bump

Preview for next week:

PS3 : Gundam Breaker ( Bandai Namco ) { 2013-06-27 } - 170,020 / 240,321
PSV : Gundam Breaker ( Bandai Namco ) { 2013-10-31 } - 32,115 / 44,583

PS2 : Godzilla: Save the Earth ( Atari ) { 2004-12-09 } - 9,492 / 20,293
SDC : Godzilla Generations ( SEGA ) { 1998-11-27 } - 14,668 / 22,870

(Do Godzilla games sell that poorly that only two made a Famitsu chart?)

Orgen

Very nice PS4 numbers. It'll be interesting to see what bundle sold the most (GTAV or DQH). If it was the DQH then it'll lessen the HW impact when DQH launches next year.

WII U sales in the toilet. I blame the expensive bundles and the console reaching market saturation. The only big guns left for it (besides the holiday effect) are Zelda (even selling less each iteration in Japan I think it'd have more HW impact this time), Animal Crossing U and a price drop. Grim perspective for the Wii U in Japan.

And the 3DS HW sales are a disappointment as the last weeks were indicating. At least Nintendo has the amiibo fever in the US to compensate the disappointing sales in Japan.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I want to interview the eight PSP guys or gals. Or maybe a documentary. "Pieces of eight" it will be called.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Wii U HW Japanese sales are such a massive disappointment this holiday season.

Wii U's Global HW Shipments for Q3 (1.96 million) might resemble what they achieved last year as a result of Japan's poor performance.

So much for PS4 having worse holiday than Vita during 2012. Of course that is not exactly high bar to beat but there were some people speculating it during the summer.

Majmun

So how much would the LTD PS4 install base be in Japan after the DQ H/Bloodborne/FFXV demo trifecta? Could it reach 2,000,000 by April?

i57nNDT5n0wEW.gif

Poor Guilty Gear... :(

The PS4 numbers have me really interested in seeing how the PS4 will do in Japan once Japanese current gen only games start coming out.

Spiegel

It would have been funny to see Dragon Quest Heroes chart 2 months before the release date.

Too bad those game sales will be missing when the game gets released. Or maybe Famitsu will include them on this month's digital sales chart?

small44

I'm fairly surprised at how terribly the Wii U is doing. Nintendo have thrown out everything they can, but people barely give the slightest shit. Seems the PS4 will be slapping it around for fun next year.

It's doing bad cause it has basically no support from 3rd party

Mr Swine

Banned
Nice numbers for 3DS and ok for PS4, very disappointed at Wii U numbers. Looks like it will fall of a cliff next year :/ Can Nintendo survive 4 more years on it if they release a new handheld 2016 and a new console 2 years after that?

Yagami_Sama

Nice week for Wii U. Sold a little bit more than last week, also good numbers for Smash Bros., Mario Kart 8 and it is great to see Captain Toad doig "well".
But Nintendo still needs to put more games on Wii U, or else it will be always like this.

And New 3DS is doing quite well.

I thought that Sonic Boom / Toon would be in this week chart, but it will be released tomorrow, but I believe that it will bomb hard.

lyrick

Nice numbers for 3DS and ok for PS4, very disappointed at Wii U numbers. Looks like it will fall of a cliff next year :/ Can Nintendo survive 4 more years on it if they release a new handheld 2016 and a new console 2 years after that?

Why the fuck would we want another 6 year Nintendo Console Gen?

5 is normal, lets hope for that.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

it deffo won't take four years to release a new console, i suppose we could see both handheld and home releasing the same year if these rumours about them making a unified platform end up being true
great numbers for 3DS, good for PS4, WiiU is eh

but Toad, MK8 getting a boost is good news

As long as they make money they can survive anything

its not like it is new territory for Nintendo. The Gamecube and N64 both sold about like the Wii U is.

test_account

XP-39C²
I dont think that PS4 doing 1 million before 2015 is completely unrealistic. Its 2,5 weeks left, depends much on how people view the last week, where 3 days are in 2014. But regardless, i dont think its that important because it will be relatively close either way.

I just noticed that PS3 passed 10 million, Famitsu numbers.

Eolz

Nobody, not even Nintendo, is reasonably thinking they will wait until 2018 before releasing a new console.
Holiday 2016 to Holiday 2017 (and that's pretty bad) is the only plausible timeframe.

small44

You're adorable when you ignore the bigger picture :)

I don't ignore anything people said consoles are dead without looking into reasons,consoles are dead if they dont get a lot of 3rd party support and will do good sale if it had good support from 3rd party.
I believe that ps4 will have a big drop next week i think it will do 20k to 30k,January sale will not be that good cause their is not a lot of big games then in Fabruary and Mars it's will do well then in others month depends of what games will release.

lyrick

I don't ignore anything people said consoles are dead without looking into reasons,consoles are dead if they dont get a lot of 3rd party support and will do good sale if it had good support from 3rd party.
I believe that ps4 will have a big drop next week i think it will do 20k to 30k,January sale will not be that good cause their is not a lot of big games then in Fabruary and Mars it's will do well then in others month depends of what games will release.

So you're saying Consoles are dead...

Mr Swine

Banned
Why the fuck would we want another 6 year Nintendo Console Gen?

5 is normal, lets hope for that.

Nobody, not even Nintendo, is reasonably thinking they will wait until 2018 before releasing a new console.
Holiday 2016 to Holiday 2017 (and that's pretty bad) is the only plausible timeframe.

Even if they release it at the same time as their new handheld?

it deffo won't take four years to release a new console, i suppose we could see both handheld and home releasing the same year if these rumours about them making a unified platform end up being true
great numbers for 3DS, good for PS4, WiiU is eh

but Toad, MK8 getting a boost is good news

Can Nintendo really afford a new console to go out along a brand new portable? Even if it's really easy to port games over from both of them?

Can Nintendo really afford a new console to go out along a brand new portable? Even if it's really easy to port games over from both of them?

Maybe Nintendo's new plan is to merge the home console and the handheld. But since this is actually a reasonable idea, I doubt it.

Eolz

Not at the same time obviously, but they may plan to release it in the same year, and maybe because they have no other choice. The new handheld could be released as soon as fall 2015 (doubt it), but will probably be released around March 2016.
Honestly at this point, apart from some hints about their architecture, we don't know a lot of things. The investor meeting in January might give some new hints, but it'll probably be QOL-focused.

I think they will try to release both a lot closer in time than they did in the past. We might get a shorter gen from them too, since Iwata seemed to like the idea of smartphones being upgraded every 4 years or so.

Maybe Nintendo's new plan is to merge the home console and the handheld. But since this is actually a reasonable idea, I doubt it.

Iwata already confirmed that for the next gen, it wouldn't be the case, but that they would function "as brothers".

small44

So you're saying Consoles are dead...

People here say consoles are dead because Japanese don't like consoles i'm saying a console could sell poorly if it's not weel supported and could selling very well if it get a great support.
Ps4 look to hate a future great support that's why i think ps4 will do well

small44

I think if they do that we will only get late port of handheld versions on next Nintendo console just like what hapened to Vita

test_account

XP-39C²
Good performance by the DQH special edition bundle, but still worse than WiiUs week50 performance last year. It would be interesting to know what percentage of worldwide collectors, import-shops and scalpers is of this weeks total sales.
I would guess maybe something about the same as many other hardware bundles. Maybe less regarding scapling concidering the availability of the Dragon Quest Hero hardware bundle (if the anecdotal evidences posted in this thread is the situation for Japan overall).

I just noticed that Kamen Rider: Summonride didn't even chart in the top 50 last week ...
I wonder why it sold so poorly.

I think if they do that we will only get late port of handheld versions on next Nintendo console just like what hapened to Vita
I think its more likely that it would be multiplatform games released at the same time.

I really don't see how these 3DS numbers are good when they just released a huge revision a huge game came out and they are still down YoY.I guess it just shows how awful the 3DS numbers could have been if they didn't release the n3DS. Wii U numbers are just awful.

I really don't see how these 3DS numbers are good when they just released a huge revision a huge game came out and they are still down YoY. Wii U numbers are just awful.

Imagine how tragic 3DS would have been without YW and the revision. Truth is, disappointing numbers but way better than what could have been otherwise. 3DS is declining YOY but it's still the most popular system by a wide margin.

small44

I would guess about the same as many other hardware bundles. Maybe less regarding scapling concidering the availability of the Dragon Quest Hero hardware bundle.

I wonder why it sold so poorly.

I think its more likely that it would be multiplatform games released at the same time.

Ps3 to psv port are easy and we didn't get multiplatform games so i fear it will happen to Nintendo too but maybe i'm wrong.

I really don't see how these 3DS numbers are good when they just released a huge revision a huge game came out and they are still down YoY.I guess it just shows how awful the 3DS numbers could have been if they didn't release the n3DS. Wii U numbers are just awful.
Did you expect higher numbers than last year? This is the 4th year on the market for the 3DS and the circumstances are quite harsh considering the boom of smartphones and that everything else is quite dead.

It reached a point of decline in it's product life cycle, that's pretty normal.

plcsxrlx.gif

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think people has been a bit too negative on the revision's performance in the past few weeks, but I also think that, while still good numbers, this week could have been a bit higher, even without considering the "OG 3DS" anomaly. And, still, we must see how things go in January. But, above all...I hope we get a Nintendo Direct with news about New 3DS (games) soon. We need to know more

1) Games with special features for the platform
2) Games exclusive to the platform
3) Nintendo games' feature
4) Nintendo games overall. So far we know about Majora's Mask 3D, Codename: S.T.E.A.M. and Xenoblade Chronicles. There must be more announcements soon.

Spiegel

Imagine how tragic 3DS would have been without YW and the revision. Truth is, disappointing numbers but way better than what could have been otherwise. 3DS is declining YOY but it's still the most popular system by a wide margin.

Yeah, it's scary. Without YW exploding in popularity and the new revision I doubt the 3DS would have sold much higher than 2-2.3M in 2014.

That would have been awful for the japanese market.

Did you expect higher numbers than last year? This is the 4th year on the market for the 3DS and the circumstances are quite harsh considering the boom of smartphones and that everything else is quite dead.

It reached a point of decline in it's product life cycle, that's pretty normal.

plcsxrlx.gif

During the holiday season? Yes, last year's numbers during the holidays were't particularly good and it didn't have a huge release like Yokai either in December. We'll have to wait and see if after the holidays numbers drop back to pre revision levels this year.

During the holiday season? Yes, last year's numbers during the holidays were't particularly good and it didn't have a huge release like Yokai either in December.
I thought you're talking about the whole year.

Yeah, it probably could've/should've been more this holiday season then. Obviously, the "decline effect" is larger than the revision and Yokai Watch effect. (unfortunately)

Really looking forward to 2015 performance.

test_account

XP-39C²
Ps3 to psv port are easy and we didn't get multiplatform games so i fear it will happen to Nintendo too but maybe i'm wrong.
I think we would see more multiplatforms if Nintendo really wanted to merge the handheld and console together as "one system". That said though, i dont think that will happen. I'm sure that Nintendo will threat the systems as two different systems, giving them exclusive games.

Top Bottom