• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2013 (Dec 16 - Dec 22)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Combine it with Pokémon Z, it perhaps some sequels to successful 3DS revivals they could get damn close 5 million if not more.

I mean most likely the XL had a pretty large effect on year before last total sales especially Christmas time. 2DS may be able to pull off something similar with the right software.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Combine it with Pokémon Z, it perhaps some sequels to successful 3DS revivals they could get damn close 5 million if not more.

I mean most likely the XL had a pretty large effect on year before last total sales especially Christmas time. 2DS may be able to pull off something similar with the right software.
Who would Pokemon Z sell to that X and Y were uninteresting for?

I get the hardware pricing argument, but I've never really gotten "sequel to longtime popular series already on the platform will spur tons of sales," unless the one before it was awful and this is notably better.

Arzehn

Anyone else think KanColle Kai will be a major seller on the Vita? Kantai seems really popular in japan right now. I'm not saying it's going to be the Vita's Puzzle and Dragon Z, but I think it might surprise people.

I will quote myself in the future if I'm right.

This 3DS had had two of the biggest handheld games, namely Pokemon XY and MH4 and has still decreased to 4.7 million.

I only see further decreases now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Pokemon always gives hardware bumps. Same with Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter.

Not that Pokemon Z is coming in 2014.
Out of curiosity how much did the PSP go up with MH3P or the DS with Black and White 2?

I guess those would be the best multi iteration end of gen entries.

This 3DS had had two of the biggest handheld games, namely Pokemon XY and MH4 and has still decreased to 4.7 million.

I only see further decreases now.

Well to be fair, the first half of the year for 3DS was pretty shitty by its standards. The holidays finalized the YoY decline, but the first half is what got it in that situation. If they can do well the first half and get DQ11 (which could be just as big as MH4) and a few other big pieces they could go up
Black and White 2?

Considering the 3DS was already out, I think Diamond is the better example here.

Out of curiosity how much did the PSP go up with MH3P or the DS with Black and White 2?

I guess those would be the best multi iteration end of gen entries.

B/W2 didn't do much for hardware sales but that was pretty long in the tooth. People actually expected it to increase 3DS hardware sales rather than DS. Neither really happened.

PSP had its highest sales week in Japan when MHP3rd was released, though.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Who would Pokemon Z sell to that X and Y were uninteresting for?

I get the hardware pricing argument, but I've never really gotten "sequel to longtime popular series already on the platform will spur tons of sales," unless the one before it was awful and this is notably better.

Existing owners (different hardware), and those interested in a cheaper price and want new software to go with it. It's not always about bringing in new owners when you talk about hardware revisions. Nintendo just needs to make the 2DS appealing to both new and current 3DS owners. The XL certainly didn't just sell to new 3DS owners.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Existing owners (different hardware), and those interested in a cheaper price and want new software to go with it.
Yeah I wasn't really considering the upgrade angle there too.

If you have an ancient system a lot probably want an upgraded special edition if they love the series.

If you're buying someone a cheap system as a gift you probably want a new game or bundle for it too.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah I wasn't really considering the upgrade angle there too.

If you have an ancient system a lot probably want an upgraded special edition if they love the series.

If you're buying someone a cheap system as a gift you probably want a new game or bundle for it too.

Yeah I not really sure the degree Nintendo will actually be able to expand it's user base with much 2DS, but considering the 3DS shear dominance within the Japanese games industry, they at least have a good chance of double downing on those that are interested, and a lower price point to bring in the remaining that haven't bought due to the price. Which is why in this point I'd say hardware was more useful for them than software at this point (considering software likely won't get much better than last year).

I could see one or 3DS revision (perhaps 2DS XL), before they move on from the 3DS..

kswiston

The problem with the MHP3 analogy is that Monster Hunter was still in its growth phase, and that was a new full entry. Pokemon is beyond well established, and Z would just be the remix edition.

Do we have confirmation or strong rumours that 2DS will release for 10k yen, or is that just wishful thinking?

Takao

Banned
Anyone else think KanColle Kai will be a major seller on the Vita? Kantai seems really popular in japan right now. I'm not saying it's going to be the Vita's Puzzle and Dragon Z, but I think it might surprise people.

I have to wonder if the announcement of that game was intentionally vague so they could monitor how P&DZ performed, and adjust accordingly.

Major seller in what sense? For Vita (which would be 300-400k-ish)? or >500k?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah I not really sure the degree Nintendo will actually be able to expand it's user base with much 2DS, but considering the 3DS shear dominance within the Japanese games industry, they at least have a good chance of double downing on those that are interested, and a lower price point to bring in the remaining that haven't bought due to the price. Which is why in this point I'd say hardware was more useful for them than software at this point (considering software likely won't get much better than last year).

I could see one or 3DS revision (perhaps 2DS XL), before they move on from the 3DS..
Yeah, I definitely agree there.

The 3DS has a really wide and varied line-up packed with major franchises so I imagine most new customers at this point are either price blocked, not yet old enough to own the system, or are really hard to pry away from having transitioned to mobile.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Do we have confirmation or strong rumours that 2DS will release for 10k yen, or is that just wishful thinking?

We don't have confirmation or strong rumours 2DS will ever launch in Japan.

10k isn't wishful thinking, it's speculation. 3DS is at 15k yen.

edit: We are approacing the point launch alligned DS is exiting beast mode and makes more reasonable numbers. Comparisons will start looking better between DS and 3DS since there isn't PSP this time.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Aren't we getting Famitsu numbers tomorrow? What time? And are they for both Week 52 and 01, or just 52?

Celebrations for Wii U at Monday. Scepticism begins at Wednesday.

images

Takao

Banned
*googles*

No, definitely a Vita game.

EDIT: Assuming you are suggesting a platform change.

I was referring to a potential change in the business model. We don't know if Kan Colle Kai is going to be a DD-only port of the browser game, or a more in-depth physical release ala Puzzle & Dragons Z.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I checked Q1 2013 3DS retail releases and the number of them really competes with Wii U. 2014 will be better.

[3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Fighters of Eden <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.02.07} (¥6.090)
[3DS] PachiPara 3D: Deluxe Umi Monogatari - PachiPro Fuuunroko - Hana Kotou no Shoubushi Tachi <TBL> (Irem Software Engineering) {2013.02.07} (¥6.090)
[3DS] Magi: The Labyrinth of Beginning <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.02.21} (¥5.800)
[3DS] Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy <ADV> (Level 5) {2013.02.28} (¥5.500)
[3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.02.28} (¥5.800)
[3DS] Touch Detective: Nameko Shigeru <PZL> (Success) {2013.02.28} (¥3.990)
[3DS] Doraemon: Nobita to Himitsu Dougu Hakubutsukan <ADV> (FuRyu) {2013.03.07} (¥5.229)
[3DS] Minna de Auto Racing 3D <RCE> (Intergrow) {2013.03.07} (¥6.090)
[3DS] Super Robot Wars UX # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.14} (¥7.140)
[3DS] Super Robot Wars UX [Nintendo 3DS LL Bundle] <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.14} (¥26.040)
[3DS] Nazo Waku Yakata: Oto no Aida ni Aida ni (Best Price!) <ADV> (Capcom) {2013.03.14} (¥2.490)
[3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.03.20} (¥4.800)
[3DS] Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate <ACT> (Konami) {2013.03.20} (¥4.980)
[3DS] Pretty Rhythm: My Deco Rainbow Wedding <ACT> (Takara Tomy) {2013.03.20} (¥6.279)
[3DS] Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D & Resident Evil: Revelations (Value Pack) <ETC> (Capcom) {2013.03.22} (¥6.990)
[3DS] Shoshinshakara Nippon Ichi Made: Flash Anzan <EDU> (Klon) {2013.03.28} (¥5.800)
[3DS] Nano Assault (Campaign Price Edition) <STG> (CyberFront) {2013.03.28} (¥2.940)

kswiston

We don't have confirmation or strong rumours 2DS will ever launch in Japan.

10k isn't wishful thinking, it's speculation. 3DS is at 15k yen.

Just seems like a big price cut considering the fact that the 2DS is only $40 cheaper than the regular 3DS in the west.

Oregano

10K would be hella low. If it could be achieved I definitely think they should go for it. It seems weird to have a system closer in price to a game than other systems though.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
10K would be hella low. If it could be achieved I definitely think they should go for it. It seems weird to have a system closer in price to a game than other systems though.

That would happen only with titles like Tales of, no? Didn't Xillia go for around 9,000 Yen? XD

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
USA prices

3DS XL - 200
3DS - 170
2DS - 130

JP prices

3DS LL - 18900
3DS - 15000
2DS - ?

2DS price could theoritically be very close to 10000 with simplistic mathematic

Before the DS <10k yen was actually pretty common for Nintendo handhelds. The GBA even launched at ¥9800 there.

USA prices

3DS XL - 200
3DS - 170
2DS - 130

JP prices

3DS LL - 18900
3DS - 15000
2DS - ?

2DS price could theoritically be very close to 10000 with simplistic mathematic

The UK Amazon prices just for comparison -

3DS XL - Fluctuates wildly between £150 - £200.
3DS - £130.
2DS - £100.

Isn't it much cheaper for Nintendo to manufacture consoles for Japan ?, 10k Yen is $95 just now so it would be close.

I liked your crystal ball pic ^^ ;).

Yeshua

If Nintendo want to boost sell pricing the 2DS at 10k yen is possible but if Nintendo want to have a better margin per system pricing the 2DS at 12k yen would be more likely, given Nintendo is losing money with the Wii U and the 3DS is rather in good shape in Japan I think Nintendo will prefer profitability over boosting sell.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Are people honestly surprised by the rise in sales for Nintendo? Guess we haven't seen anything yet until the new Smash is released, then the sales will go ridiculous. Besides, Nintendo has some of the best/most games on their console with being a year out (with a dry year that is sadly...).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
If Nintendo want to boost sell pricing the 2DS at 10k yen is possible but if Nintendo want to have a better margin per system pricing the 2DS at 12k yen would be more likely, given Nintendo is losing money with the Wii U and the 3DS is rather in good shape in Japan I think Nintendo will prefer profitability over boosting sell.

Selling 2DS for 10k doesn't mean they'll lose profitability if the rise in software and hardware sales can offset the 2k yen loss.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

True the whole point of 2DS is that's it's a cheap entry level product. the regular 3DS is already 15k so a 3k difference really isn't all that much considering bundles. 10k also has the effect of the psychological barrier, and the 3DS itself isn't flying off the shelfs.as much as Nintendo would like 10k would certainly help the longevity of the system more than 12k (more people to sell software to).

Code:
[B][U]Comgnet Software Sales Rankings: Week 1, 2014 (Dec 30 - Jan 05)[/U][/B]

1. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 &#8211; 352pt (received a 34% off discount this week)
2. [3DS] PazuDora Z: Puzzle & Dragons Z &#8211; 302pt 
3. [PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle &#8211; 275pt (received a 88% off discount this week)
4. [3DS] Pokémon Tretta Lab for Nintendo 3DS (First Press Edition) &#8211; 149pt (received a 75% off discount this week)
5. [3DS] Pokémon X &#8211; 146pt (received a 17% off discount this week)
6. [3DS] Pokémon Y &#8211; 135pt (received a 17% off discount this week)
7. [3DS] Battle For Money Sentouchuu: Densetsu no Shinobi no Survival Battle! &#8211; 116pt (received a 20% off discount this week)
8. [PS3] New Dynasty Warriors: Gundam &#8211; 91pt
9. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World &#8211; 80pt
10. [PS3] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster &#8211; 77pt
11. [PS3] Tales of Symphonia: Unisonant Pack &#8211; 66pt (received a 58% off discount this week)
12. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life &#8211; 65pt
13. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf &#8211; 62pt
14. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 &#8211; 60pt
15. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 &#8211; 59pt
16. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V &#8211; 56pt
17. [PS3] Lost Planet 3 &#8211; 53pt (received a 86% off discount this week)
18. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon &#8211; 48pt
19. [PSV] New Dynasty Warriors: Gundam &#8211; 43pt
20. [3DS] One Piece: Unlimited World Red &#8211; 43pt
[B]* No new releases this week (due to holiday season)
* 1 pt = 1 sale
3DS - 12
PS3 - 6
WIU - 1
PSV - 1[/B]

No Tsutaya yet, but I'll post it when it releases.

Tripon

Code:
[B][U]Comgnet Software Sales Rankings: Week 1, 2014 (Dec 30 - Jan 05)[/U][/B]

1. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 – 352pt
2. [3DS] PazuDora Z: Puzzle & Dragons Z – 302pt
3. [PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle – 275pt
4. [3DS] Pokemon Tretta Lab for Nintendo 3DS (First Press Edition) – 149pt
5. [3DS] Pokémon X – 146pt
6. [3DS] Pokémon Y – 135pt
7. [3DS] Battle For Money Sentouchuu: Densetsu no Shinobi no Survival Battle! – 116pt
8. [PS3] New Dynasty Warriors: Gundam – 91pt
9. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World – 80pt
10. [PS3] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster – 77pt
11. [PS3] Tales of Symphonia: Unisonant Pack – 66pt
12. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life – 65pt
13. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 62pt
14. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 – 60pt
15. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 – 59pt
16. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V – 56pt
17. [PS3] Lost Planet 3 – 53pt
18. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon – 48pt
19. [PSV] New Dynasty Warriors: Gundam – 43pt
20. [3DS] One Piece: Unlimited World Red – 43pt
[B]* No new releases this week (due to holiday season)
* 1 pt = 1 sale
3DS - 12
PS3 - 6
WIU - 1
PSV - 1[/B]

No Tsutaya yet, but I'll post it when it releases.

Looks like there's still a lot of life to MH4.

Top Bottom