• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2013 (Dec 16 - Dec 22)

Oregano

Last two-three months, you said? So, since September?

Probably not complete, things that I remember

Vitamin X & Vitamin Z
Toshi Toshiden
A Train 3D
Theatrhyhtm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
Harvest Moon
Persona Q
Island Days
Penguin no Mondai
Shin Chan
Magi 2
Bravely Second

And I'm sure it's not complete...

I meant more beginning of October till now but even still that list is pretty pathetic. I bet the list of Vita announcements in the same timeframe absolutely dwarfs it. Harvest Mokn, Bravely Second and maybe Persona Q are the only games that will event get close to 200K unless I am missing something.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
So far everything is playing out along what I thought. Will just have to wait and see. Might get an 18k dip but I think the avg will not be under 20k on the whole.

Everything is playing out that it will collapse again after holidays like last January.

edit: first 4 weeks of 2013

2014 will be close

sörine

Banned
I meant more beginning of October till now but even still that list is pretty pathetic. I bet the list of Vita announcements in the same timeframe absolutely dwarfs it. Harvest Mokn, Bravely Second and maybe Persona Q are the only games that will event get close to 200K unless I am missing something.
How about giving us the comparable Vita list that drawfs this then? How many 200k+ sellers does it feature?

Zen

Banned
Only reaching 1/4 of the market, eventually getting only 1/4 of the sales they could have gotten, resulting in only 1/4 of those devs being around in 5 years.

Yay for the industry!

To be fair it has never been that way. The Nintendo market for a lot of third party devs has in practice been no bigger than the PS market, and historically the PS market has had better third party sales.

Mr Swine

Banned
To be fair it has never been that way. The Nintendo market for a lot of third party devs has in practice been no bigger than the PS market, and historically the PS market has had better third party sales.

Not on vita though...

Oregano

3DS is a pretty mainstream platform. I'm pretty sure the majority of people in Japan interested in a 3DS aren't aware of the 2DS.

Really, I think you might underestimate people there. It is not like people are totally ignorant of what is happening elsewhere in the world and the 3DS is the most popular platform. Someone in Japan could tell us whether the existence of the 2DS is known about.

BriBri

I wonder how many sales from your dwarfing game announcements it would take to beat just Dragon Quest Monsters 2?

CSM

Neo Member
It would be pretty amazing if WiiU sold half a million consoles in December and Jan combined, you wouldn't be able to wipe the smile off Iwata's face after the year it's had.
Yes, I'm sure he'll be so happy not to hit even GameCube figures in Japan with no competition on the market.

I am happy to see NIntendo have some good numbers, especially for the WIi U. There are so many titles at the top for Nintendo systems. Japan really likes Nintendo. Go Luigi!

Amin_and_Azizah

Neo Member
WIU | 109.113

Rise, this is the beginning.

Thank the heavens up above. The Wii U is fighting back against all the odds stacked against it. I'm very happy to be a Nintendo fan and a Wii U owner. Hopefully Japanese third party companies take a good hard look at this console and show it some support for this upcoming year. Congratulations are in order. Good job Nintendo.

spock

Everything is playing out that it will collapse again after holidays like last January.

edit: first 4 weeks of 2013

2014 will be close

Thats your opinion and thats fine. But the current reality of the wiiu point to something else from what it looks like to me. The wiiu has been up-trending for the last couple months, it has a better & improving library of exclusives, more consumer awareness of the console and its games, along with positive press. The fact that this trend change has occurred while not in launch mode adds weight to the cause being more grounded in market perception on a fundamental level instead of launch energy creating movement.

The wiiu has begun to establish its value proposition in contrast to other offerings. Again I'm not saying theres going to be these hug numbers from here on out but I do not see any evidence pointing to things sliding back to earlier levels.

Well just let the numbers speak for themselves. I'm not going to argue and havent argued in the past. I'll let the market speak for itself.

Oregano

sörine;94765825 said:
How about giving us the comparable Vita list that drawfs this then? How many 200k+ sellers does it feature?

By all rights the 3DS should be getting a lot more games and games of a much higher caliber. Even still games like Sword Art Online, Digimon and Persona dancing will sell in the same ballpark.

I wonder how many sales from your dwarfing game announcements it would take to beat just Dragon Quest Monsters 2?

It isn't about beating individual games. The Vita is, at present, getting more games than the 3DS and with the exception of the biggest games, which the Vita doesn't have the userbase to support, they are of a similar caliber.

Anth0ny

Holy shit Wii U. 100k+? Higher than Vita?

It won't last, but that's impressive. I hope 3D World can keep up this pace and somehow outsell NSMB U, at least.

BriBri

It isn't about beating individual games. The Vita is, at present, getting more games than the 3DS and with the exception of the biggest games, which the Vita doesn't have the userbase to support, they are of a similar caliber.
In a sales thread where one game will outsell many other games then it is entirely relevant to mention so.

sörine

Banned
By all rights the 3DS should be getting a lot more games and games of a much higher caliber. Even still games like Sword Art Online, Digimon and Persona dancing will sell in the same ballpark.

Still waiting on that dwarfing Vita list.

L Thammy

Surely the existence of the 2DS has made people hold off purchasing in Japan? No real way to be sure though.

Also not sure why people are jumping on Kandinsky, he's completely right. 3DS third party support is in the shitter. Has anything other than Bravely Second even been announced in the last two/three months?

Radio Allergy, CardFight!! Vanguard: Lock on to Victory, Doraemon: New Nobita’s Great Demon—Peko and the Exploration Party of Five, Island Days, Initial D: Perfect Shift Online, Hello Kitty & Apron of Magic: Rhythm Cooking in the last two weeks or so. I'd like to check further back but I've got to go.

Side note, just noticed on Siliconera, CyberFront published Princess Maker? I thought it was Gainax? Damn it.

Alrus

SAO didn't even break 200k on the PSP, what makes you think it will on the Vita?

Digimon games aren't nearly as popular as you think.

Persona is a wild guess, depends if there's really an audience overlap between rhythm game fans and the persona fanbase.

Rolf NB

Probably also GT6 disappointing. Its sales went down this week.
Ah, GT6, that was week 49. Maybe 49's 80% hardware increase was not a holiday rampup, but rather a GT6 bump. That would explain the flatness nicely actually. Two motions overlaid: base sales coming up due to holiday race vs a dissipating software bump.

PS3 hardware probably should go up slightly next week in that case.

sörine

Banned
Radio Allergy, CardFight!! Vanguard: Lock on to Victory, Doraemon: New Nobita’s Great Demon—Peko and the Exploration Party of Five, Island Days, Initial D: Perfect Shift Online, Hello Kitty & Apron of Magic: Rhythm Cooking in the last two weeks or so. I'd like to check further back but I've got to go.

Side note, just noticed on Siliconera, CyberFront published Princess Maker? I thought it was Gainax? Damn it.
You forgot 3D After Burner II. 3DS wins!

Into

Must be nice to have a crystal ball...

He is making a prediction of his own, no different than most posters in these threads. Why single his prediction out? There is another poster predicting that this is some sort of new trend and how the Wii U will turn around and all that positive jazz. So why ask that poster if he has a crystal ball?

Do not see any claim that he has a crystal ball, and if he did, i doubt he would in this thread and would go play and win the lottery instead.

You have made a ton of assumptions yourself, its no different.

Nibel

Nintendo runs Japan

.. at least in the holiday season!

Never expected P&DZ to perform that well - seems like the IP is much, much stronger than I expected. Also seeing 3D World getting a nice boost is pretty awesome, playing through the endgame content right now which is way beyond the already outstanding normal game content; great games deserve to sell some units :)

Vita TV performance is pretty bad, but maybe it'll get a small push with the release of PS4 and people wanting to make use of that functionality. I think that device could perform better in the western market

Thats your opinion and thats fine. But the current reality of the wiiu point to something else from what it looks like to me. The wiiu has been up-trending for the last couple months, it has a better & improving library of exclusives, more consumer awareness of the console and its games, along with positive press. The fact that this trend change has occurred while not in launch mode adds weight to the cause being more grounded in market perception on a fundamental level instead of launch energy creating movement.

Well just let the numbers speak for themselves. I'm not going to argue and havent argued in the past. I'll let the market speak for itself.

You mean... NOVEMBER and DECEMBER?

I wonder what could have increased sales so dramatically for those TWO months as well. Its like the entire world had a "Buy Nintendo Products and then Give them at the end of the month to family members who couldn't buy them all year" Holiday that started in November. Crazy, right?

Busaiku

So here is the question, although the WiiU hardware jump was probably mainly down to the Holidays, why was it so much larger in Japan than it was in America ?. Advertising, the NSMB + Wii Party + Wiimotion Plus bundles or something else ?...

Whatever it was Nintendo need to translate that success to the rest of the World. These sales show that the console is not a complete failure in concept and appeal that some would suggest.

To be fair, we don't know how well it's doing in December in the US.
Keep in mind that it wasn't doing that amazingly in November.

Celine

15./17. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.03.20} (¥4.800) - 26.931 / 985.442 (+79%)
Soon ...

First western developed game to top 1 million in Japan since 1996.

Rolf NB

Vita TV performance is pretty bad, but maybe it'll get a small push with the release of PS4 and people wanting to make use of that functionality. I think that device could perform better in the western market
Definitely. It's kind of pointless to own if you don't have multiple TVs in your household. If all you want to do is play Vita games, the portable is the much saner choice.

Oregano

SAO didn't even break 200k on the PSP, what makes you think it will on the Vita?

Digimon games aren't nearly as popular as you think.

Persona is a wild guess, depends if there's really an audience overlap between rhythm game fans and the persona fanbase.

I may be misremembering but didn't Digimon and SAO both sell over 150K on PSP? And Harvest Moon sold just over 200K? We are not talking worlds apart there.

I would expect Persona dancing to outsell Q based on sales of Miku and Etrian Odyssey.

Really the outlier is Bravely Second because BD is over 300K. As a new IP though there's no guarantee the second one will do as well(if it was up to me it would do better than Lightning Returns at the very least).

EDIT:
In a sales thread where one game will outsell many other games then it is entirely relevant to mention so.

Taiko, Dragon Quest Swords and Monster Hunter Tri outsold nearly like 90% of PS3 games but no one would pretend the Wii had good third party support.

He is making a prediction of his own, no different than most posters in these threads. Why single his prediction out? There is another poster predicting that this is some sort of new trend and how the Wii U will turn around and all that positive jazz. So why ask that poster if he has a crystal ball?

Do not see any claim that he has a crystal ball, and if he did, i doubt he would in this thread and would go play and win the lottery instead.

Because he is stating it like it's a fact and not an opinion / prediction.

z0m3le

Banned

Spock is jumping the gun but Chris's assumption that Wii U's situation hasn't changed is disingenuous at the very least. His assumption that Wii U won't sell any different from last year is based on Wii U's market situation being the same, however between the "killer app" marketing, desire of hardware outside of launch and the lower price and bundle. Wii U's situation has changed, he might be right but his reasoning is flawed so speaking in absolutes is a bit arrogant imo.

MDX

You mean... NOVEMBER and DECEMBER?

I wonder what could have increased sales so dramatically for those TWO months as well. Its like the entire world had a "Buy Nintendo Products and then Give them at the end of the month to family members who couldn't buy them all year" Holiday that started in November. Crazy, right?

In Japan, I think since end October, when Wii Party U launched.
I think its the game that is keeping the numbers on average higher than what they
were before.

Spock is jumping the gun but Chris's assumption that Wii U's situation hasn't changed is disingenuous at the very least. His assumption that Wii U won't sell any different from last year is based on Wii U's market situation being the same, however between the "killer app" marketing, desire of hardware outside of launch and the lower price and bundle. Wii U's situation has changed, he might be right but his reasoning is flawed so speaking in absolutes is a bit arrogant imo.

Exactly... the console had NSMBU, Nintendo Land and ZombiU as it's exclusive games last Jan. Now it has Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Lego City Undercover, Game & Wario, Pikmin 3, W-101, WInd Waker HD, Wii Party U, Wii Sports HD and Mario 3D World with Wii Fit U, DKC Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8 about to be released in the coming months. Sure none of those games outside of Mario 3DW and Wii Party sold to any great degree but all of them combined create a diverse library of very good games which will entice buyers much more than WiiU did last Jan esp with the new bundles / value proposition.

I don't think WiiU will drop below 20k sales in a week until over a month after MK8 releases and the next software drought begins.

Alrus

I may be misremembering but didn't Digimon and SAO both sell over 150K on PSP? And Harvest Moon sold just over 200K? We are not talking worlds apart there.

I would expect Persona dancing to outsell Q based on sales of Miku and Etrian Odyssey.

Depends on the game, Digimon World Re:Digitize sold slightly over 150k but Digimon Adventure sold 70k afterwards. (and the 3DS re-release of Re-digitize didn't really sell that well...). I'm not sure what kind of branding the new vita is going for that I doubt it'll even get close to 150k anyway...

I'm not nearly as confident in Dancing's ability to sell as you are... I really have no idea about Persona Q either...

As for Bravely Default, the original was well received, the enhanced re-release has beaten their expectations, unless they fuck something up I'm pretty sure Second will sell on par or better than the original.

Did Mario have a big effect on the rise of WiiU sales?

I expected a rise but not to this extent.

Nintendo really took ever during the holidays

Having the WiiU jump to this extent, makes the Vita rise seen insignificant.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I don't think WiiU will drop below 20k sales in a week until over a month after MK8 releases and the next software drought begins.

Finally you gave a prediction. Bad thing is the next software drought has already began and it will be worse than last year with basically first party releases only.

Pain

Banned
Why is 3DS down YoY by like 600-700k? Here I thought with Pokemon and Monster Hunter it was on its way to its peak year.

How did Wii U outsell PS3 YTD? Wow lol. I had. I idea PS3 was doing that bad.

Thinking about PS4's Japanese launch... Does anyone know how long it took WIiU to reach 1 million LTD in Japan ?. I think it's going to come out the gate very, very strong indeed just like everywhere else in the World, I would guess 1 million inside a month if they have enough stock.

Also looking at current sales trends and things like AC, CoD and GTA selling well in Japan the PS4 launch line up might do better than a lot of people initially thought. Aren't the Japanese also eagerly awaiting Watch_Dogs aswell ?.

Top Bottom