• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2013 (Dec 16 - Dec 22)

spock

genuinely suprised by the wiiu. with how terrible its been doing, i didnt even expect it to have the traditional nintendo holiday bump. everyone raise a glass to those numbers, cause they wont last. the system remains a zombie.

Also a little disappointed in the 3DS. perhaps my expectations have permanently warped, having lived through the periode when the DS just destroyed the charts with 600k weeks one after another. The 3Ds seems to have reached a saturation point.

I do love seeing all the games on the chart getting a +% next to their name. Good news for everyone!!

Dont get how you think the wiiu is a zombie, its been up-trending for the last few months, the software library has been improving, will continue to improve, media perception has been positive and general consumer awareness has gotten better as well. While its not going to do huge numbers, this thing is back from the dead and is not going back...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Vita selling 1/4 of 3DS and still getting all the third party support, I love it!

Only reaching 1/4 of the market, eventually getting only 1/4 of the sales they could have gotten, resulting in only 1/4 of those devs being around in 5 years.

Yay for the industry!

Vita selling 1/4 of 3DS and still getting all the third party support, I love it!
ibgEF2pBf8x6Un.gif

z0m3le

Banned
genuinely suprised by the wiiu. with how terrible its been doing, i didnt even expect it to have the traditional nintendo holiday bump. everyone raise a glass to those numbers, cause they wont last. the system remains a zombie.

Also a little disappointed in the 3DS. perhaps my expectations have permanently warped, having lived through the periode when the DS just destroyed the charts with 600k weeks one after another. The 3Ds seems to have reached a saturation point.

I do love seeing all the games on the chart getting a +% next to their name. Good news for everyone!!

The DS has 3 revisions, even last year's 3DS numbers likely come from a lot of double dippers wanting the superior XL. You won't get the same effect with the 2DS but a lower price point can be effective too if they choose to release it. People don't really look at these factors when they talk about last year's sales vs this years.

Too bad Wii U had such a heavy drought this year, it might of enjoyed a much higher YTD. Still edging out the aging PS3 is a nice surprise after those 3k weeks.

Yawnier

Banned
Serioulsy. It's been totally flat since week 49. No holiday tide rising this boat for some reason.

Maybe something about the PS4?

I imagine many people who have wanted a PS3 up until this point already own one or bought one some years ago when FFXIII or whatever niches RPGs released, I guess you could say it's been on the market for years and years more compared to the Wii U, 3DS, and Vita.

z0m3le

Banned
Now bring on the games Nintendo. Make 2014 your best ever.

Yep if they can release another huge family title next holiday and get mk out in spring and smash out by fall. Next year could be great for Wii U.

Animal Crossing next year could be big if it could connect with your 3DS town somehow.

I imagine many people who have wanted a PS3 up until this point already own one or bought one some years ago when FFXIII or whatever niches RPGs released, I guess you could say it's been on the market for years and years more compared to the Wii U, 3DS, and Vita.

The word you are looking for is saturated, and it's not a good thing with such a low LTD, just shows how much consoles have died out in japan.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Historically, 3DS numbers this week were still great for Week 51, and YTD is still amazingly huge, but it seems Animal Crossing shifted far more units than we thought. Next year there will surely be another drop, but I'm rather interested in seeing what initiatives they'll take: a price cut, 2DS release in Japan, special bundle packs like Wii U...those bundles helped immensely, and Wii U is by far this Holiday's surprise. Those are legitimately good Holiday numbers, and signs were horrible entering December. The problem's after Holidays are over, though. Especially considering the next months' lineup.

3DS is the king of software sales: huge amount of titles in top 20/30, wow. Dem increases.

Apophis2036, I hope those PS4 numbers you posted are just things you made up on the spot, and not what you actually think those things will sell. Knack, and Killzone are going to struggle to hit 100k LTD unbundled forget 100k FW.

If PS4 gets to a 1 million install base pretty fast which I think it will then is 100k for Knack out of the question ?.

Exile20

How did the Vita Tv do?

Edit: Found it
This Week | Last Week
5.504 | 5.506

It actually went down during xmas? DAMNNNNNNNNNNNN....................

Oregano

Surely the existence of the 2DS has made people hold off purchasing in Japan? No real way to be sure though.

Also not sure why people are jumping on Kandinsky, he's completely right. 3DS third party support is in the shitter. Has anything other than Bravely Second even been announced in the last two/three months?

Mpl90

I admit I'm eagerly awating to see how PES 2014 fared this week. If Amazon trend indications were right, we could be part of history, but I doubt it. Still, wanna see.

P.S. Posting from a tablet is so gooooooood.
P.P.S. Ah, yeah...Merry Christmas to all Sales-Agers!!!!! :D

Kouriozan

05./03. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.11.21} (¥5.985) - 86.408 / 327.514 (+49%)

Go, Mario, you can do it!

Kimawolf

Congrats Ninty. Great sales in your home turf. Wii u will settle at30k or 20k a week on out. I expect ps4 to launch with 400k and drop like a Vita. Japan is handheld land now.

Road

Damn, Wii U never going under 10k again until 2017.

Famitsu

Pokemon X / Y: 231.112 (3.820.346)

Animal Crossing: 44.691 (3.979.859)

So, who wins the 4.000.000 - race. ^^

Not MH4. Can't believe it bombed so badly.

PXY and ACNL, both are likely gonna cross 4 million next week, so we'll have to ask Major Nelson which sold faster to decide.

And write down on your calendars, no numbers next week.

Next sales coming only:

4Gamer: January 8th.
Famitsu: January 6th

Although MC numbers might appear in other sites before that, including their own.

Mario Kart 8 looks insane, i's easily my most anticipated title of 2014

I agree although Infamous SS and The Order 1886 should give my PS4 a nice workout aswell :).

According to Iwata Nintendo still have unannounced WiiU games that will release in 2014, one of them was the new Zelda action game so I wonder how many more there are (isn't there another Sega exclusive ?). As someone else said they should aim for one exclusive game per month, it's certainly possible -

Jan - Wii Fit U.
Feb - DKC Tropical Freeze.
March -
April - Mario Kart 8.
May -
June -
July - Wii Sports HD Collection Retail.
August - Yoshi's Yarn.
September - Bayonetta 2.
October - Hyrule Warriors.
November - Smash Bros U.
December - X.

DaBoss

3DS is the biggest disappointment for the holiday season in terms of hardware. Software is selling quite well though.

And that PSP drop. Wow, it is pretty much dead in hardware sales since everyone who would want one pretty much has one. What is its release schedule for 2014? I imagine it being almost non-existant.
Damn, Wii U never going under 10k again until 2017.

Not MH4. Can't believe it bombed so badly.

PXY and ACNL, both are likely gonna cross 4 million next week, so we'll have to ask Major Nelson which sold faster to decide.
I never knew you would have that much sarcasm in one post, Road. :p

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Mother of god @ WiiU.

Dat Nintendo holiday chugs on.
Puzzles and Dragons continues to slay; impressive numbers. I wonder if it'll have the legs to reach 2 million ltd.

Surely the existence of the 2DS has made people hold off purchasing in Japan? No real way to be sure though.

Also not sure why people are jumping on Kandinsky, he's completely right. 3DS third party support is in the shitter. Has anything other than Bravely Second even been announced in the last two/three months?

Persona Q

Third parties like decently powerful hardware to work with... I hope Nintendo take that into account when designing their next home and handheld console (which they should be doing right about now).
No, it's just smaller publishers with niche games who want to avoid blockbuster titles on the 3DS. Has nothing to do with power and you two know it.

Takao

Banned
If PS4 gets to a 1 million install base pretty fast which I think it will then is 100k for Knack out of the question ?.

I don't think PS4 will hit 1 million units quickly, and if Japan has turned their noses to Puppeteer I can't see them rushing for Knack.

spock

Some people just can't take it when others are excited to see a struggling console have a decent week. It's like it aches you to see it above 100k and people are actually happy about it.

Its a strange thing the hate the give the Big N. Personally I dont think will see it drop under 20k any more. Cant wait to see the salt as the numbers show its been doing better and begun stabilizing the last few months in the USA as well. Right now will see some folks say this is a Japan thing, but watch for the trend and momentum here in the states to. Its not going to do huge numbers but its death walk is over and done.

Kinvara

Nice to have good news about the Wii U for once.

I love mine. Hoping it carves a good niche for itself this gen.

Some people just can't take it when others are excited to see a struggling console have a decent week. It's like it aches you to see it above 100k and people are actually happy about it.

Super villains from Sony HQ

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Its a strange thing the hate the givee the Big N. Personally I dont think will see it drop under 20k any more. Cant wait to see the salt as it starts doing better and stabilizing in the USA as well.

Wii U will be below 20k much sooner than you think, mid-late January.

Mpl90

Last two-three months, you said? So, since September?

Probably not complete, things that I remember

Vitamin X & Vitamin Z
Toshi Toshiden
A Train 3D
Theatrhyhtm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
Harvest Moon
Persona Q
Island Days
Penguin no Mondai
Shin Chan
Magi 2
Bravely Second

And I'm sure it's not complete...

Serioulsy. It's been totally flat since week 49. No holiday tide rising this boat for some reason.

Maybe something about the PS4?

Why spend ¥25k on a PS3 when the PS4 is ¥40k is the way it looks to me. PS3 is too expensive in Japan. Needs to be ¥19,980.

Trago

According to Iwata Nintendo still have unannounced WiiU games that will release in 2014, one of them was the new Zelda action game so I wonder how many more there are (isn't there another Sega exclusive ?). As someone else said they should aim for one exclusive game per month, it's certainly possible -

Jan - Wii Fit U.
Feb - DKC Tropical Freeze.
March -
April - Mario Kart 8.
May -
June -
July - Wii Sports HD Collection Retail.
August - Yoshi's Yarn.
September - Bayonetta 2.
October - Hyrule Warriors.
November - Smash Bros U.
December - X.

April makes the most sense for Mario Kart 8, since March is a super crowded month gor big releases.

If Nintendo releases Mario Kart in March, it wont sell as well as Nintendo would want that month.

Toth

It sold pretty terrible for a FF title on console. In any case, the XIII saga is done and dusted, time to look forward to next week's sales for glorious numbers for FF X/X-2 HD :D

I think it was the best reviewed Drakengard game by Famitsu. Sales are also pretty good, better than Nier at least.

So desperate for a spin, geez. The game still sold very well for the third entry in a divisive entry that is quite different than previous titles and it still has WW sales (probably 500k total PS3 and 360 WW). The sales for this title would be bad for a mainline title, yes, but this is a sequel of a sequel. It is probably going to end up one of the highest sellers of the PS3 library this year regardless.

Takao

Banned
Its a strange thing the hate the give the Big N. Personally I dont think will see it drop under 20k any more. Cant wait to see the salt as the numbers show its been doing better and begun stabilizing the last few months in the USA as well. Right now will see some folks say this is a Japan thing, but watch for the trend and momentum here in the states to. Its not going to do huge numbers but its death walk is over and done.

You should stop posting now.

I think Japan is its best region sales wise. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Yeah, it's sold 0 units outside of Japan.

3DS is a pretty mainstream platform. I'm pretty sure the majority of people in Japan interested in a 3DS aren't aware of the 2DS.

And that PSP drop. Wow, it is pretty much dead in hardware sales since everyone who would want one pretty much has one. What is its release schedule for 2014? I imagine it being almost non-existant.

PSP's 2014 lineup will be a bunch of visual novels, and budget reprints. It only turned 9 years old a week or two ago.

Top Bottom