• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2014 (Dec 15 - Dec 21)

if we get week 52 data on Jan.6, when we get week 1 considering Jan.6 is already week 2 ?
hope they don't make combined charts ...

L~A

6. Dragon Quest Monsters 2 (3DS)

Damn, I totally forgot that it came out this year... somehow thought it was released last year (well, it'll soon be last year actually :p).

I wonder when the new game will be announced (maybe in early 2015, with a september/october release, making it this year's Pokémon game).

Bravely Second is going to really take off, just you watch!/wishful thinking

I think it is important to note when talking about the YoU of the systems that the 3DS is almost a year older than the Vita. It had also sold 3.6 million when Vita launched(more than Vita's current LTD).

There is also a semi-decent chance that the successor to the 3DS gets announced this year.

Semi-decent... I dunno. I think it's actually extremely likely. And yeah, 3DS is actually older.

Like last year we don´t know what the lineup of the upcoming year will look like, so it´s too early to make any great/"precise" predictions. I have the impression that Nintendo will focus even more on WiiU next year and the majority of the Pokemon, Monster Hunter and also Youkai Watch audience seems to be already on board, so it won´t be easy next year. The only thing that I can say so far is that 1H next year has a small chance to be up yoy, the problem right now is that the currently known 1H lineup doesn´t have any strong system-sellers so far.

I honestly don't think they'll focus on the Wii U. Oh sure, there's all the stuff they've already announced, but that's it. NCL seems to have sort of given up on the Wii U, to be honest.

Meanwhile, on the 3DS, there's plenty of Nintendo series that should've been out by now, yet aren't for some reason :

1) Rythm Heaven (pretty popular series in Japan)
2) Advance Wars (?)
3) WarioWare
4) Wario platformer
5) Metroid

And I'm probably missing some other stuff.

Nothing that could lead to explosive sales for the 3DS, but still notable games/franchises (and I'm not including potential new IP and stuff). So yeah, Nintendo still got some "cartridges" left for the 3DS, and I expect those to pop up sometime this year.

My guess is Nintendo will try avoid the rather rocky gen transition this time around.

monpiece

Banned
Retailers should really thank the 3DS.

Nah, they should thank Capcom, Nintendo, Square Enix and Level-5. One of the main reasons why 3DS is doing so well is that its direct competitor is trying to sell hardware on its specifications, not on the software available for it.

-MB-

Nah, they should thank Capcom, Nintendo, Square Enix and Level-5. One of the main reasons why 3DS is doing so well is that its direct competitor is trying to sell hardware on its specifications, not on the software available for it.

It must be so hard to thank Nintendo for something eh.

Sumikko Gurashi: Koko ga Ochitsukundesu for 3DS shipped over 100K copies in just a month after it was released.
http://columbia.jp/company/corporate/news_release/2014/pdf/141225.pdf

Yeah, it was posted a few days ago. Really nice result, indeed. The game (and the merchandise) is pretty popular among kids, as Vinny said. Characters are so adorable:

sumikko-22.jpg

E-phonk

Banned
Meanwhile, on the 3DS, there's plenty of Nintendo series that should've been out by now, yet aren't for some reason :

1) Rythm Heaven (pretty popular series in Japan)
2) Advance Wars (?)
3) WarioWare
4) Wario platformer
5) Metroid

And I'm probably missing some other stuff.

Nothing that could lead to explosive sales for the 3DS, but still notable games/franchises (and I'm not including potential new IP and stuff). So yeah, Nintendo still got some "cartridges" left for the 3DS, and I expect those to pop up sometime this year.

My guess is Nintendo will try avoid the rather rocky gen transition this time around.

I also kind of expect another fire emblem game instead of AW. As much as i like advance wards, Awakening did really well for them.

For real growth they should have some unexpected 3DS software like tomodachi though, as I'd assume most of the series above cater to the same audience that allready should have a 3DS by now.

So either a demografic shift (more girls? Older crowd) or something to attract current PS gamers.

I also kind of expect another fire emblem game instead of AW. As much as i like advance wards, Awakening did really well for them.

For real growth they should have some unexpected 3DS software like tomodachi though, as I'd assume most of the series above cater to the same audience that allready should have a 3DS by now.

So either a demografic shift (more girls? Older crowd) or something to attract current PS gamers.

Yes, Nintendo should capitalize current 3DS userbase -which is big- by releasing compelling titles, and maybe some weird one hoping for the best. For example, Awakening 2, some new adventure with Luigi (following Mansion 2), Pokémon spin-offs; etc.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think Rhythm Heaven has to be coming next year...it's since 2011 there's no new game from that franchise. Also, I think one between Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi could come back next year. Probably, Mario & Luigi.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Since you don't see any importance in using the most recent quarter for any kind of analysis I'm sure at the end of year 3DS will have a >50% YOY drop at hardware, Vita willl have its best year ever by far and next year what was posted from some that Vita like a new PSP will take 3DS place, will become a reality.

Is this what you were predicting for 3DS and Vita before the last quarter?

I don't know how hard it can be something so simple becoming something so complicated to you.

In January 2015, since Q4 2014 doesn't count and looking at previous Q1-Q3, we have a clear trend of 3DS collapsing and Vita rising. This trend will be continued and extended in 2015 with Vita beginning a PSP-like return.

maxmars

They should really do an AW spinoff that introduces Tower Defense elements. You and your opponent take turns defending the same place with a given set of resources, or something.

I don't know how hard it can be something so simple becoming something so complicated to you.

In January 2015, since Q4 2014 doesn't count and looking at previous Q1-Q3, we have a clear trend of 3DS collapsing and Vita rising. This trend will be continued and extended in 2015 with Vita beginning a PSP-like return.

I also can see Vita getting MH5 exclusively along with a new FF Dissidia.

I think Rhythm Heaven has to be coming next year...it's since 2011 there's no new game from that franchise. Also, I think one between Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi could come back next year. Probably, Mario & Luigi.

Tsunku, who produced the previous entries (as well as he composed the music), was diagnosed with cancer in early 2014. He might have been working on a new title, though. For sure, it's unlikely that Nintendo will let go one of its top IPs in Japan.

L~A

Yeah, just said AW because it's a franchise that has yet to get a new entry on 3DS. But it's pretty meaningless in Japan, as the official release of the DS game actually got cancelled (and only happened via Club Nintendo).

By the way, looks like WW sales of the Tales of franchise have passed 16m?

Edit: old, from Dec. 2013.

Pretty funny that they put the two bomba PSV remakes on a pic celebrating the good sales of the franchise, ha ha.

I also can see Vita getting MH5 exclusively along with a new FF Dissidia.

Monster Hunter 5 exclusively on Vita ?

The last main game on 3DS sold more than there are Vitas in the wild in Japan (4.1 Million for MH4 vs the ~3.6 Million Vitas). I don't think Capcom would even consider that an option.

Maybe multiplat with PS4 if they really, really, really want to go after the West, but exclusively on the Vita ? Nah

Oregano

Yeah, just said AW because it's a franchise that has yet to get a new entry on 3DS. But it's pretty meaningless in Japan, as the official release of the DS game actually got cancelled (and only happened via Club Nintendo).

By the way, looks like WW sales of the Tales of franchise have passed 16m?

Pretty funny that they put the two bomba PSV remakes on a pic celebrating the good sales of the franchise, ha ha.

huh why is Tales of the Abyss over the top like that?

EDIT: It's clear the reason they went with those versions is because they are the Playstation versions otherwise the Abyss cover would be the 3DS one.

test_account

XP-39C²
Retailers should really thank the 3DS.
And publishers should thank mobile.
You're all right :) At the end of the day, it goes full circle:

- Publishers need hardware manufacturers for making hardware, so the publishers/developers can put their software on something.
- Hardware manufacturers need the publisher for making software for their hardware.
- Retailers need publishers and hardware manufacturers for making products that they can sell.
- Publishers and hardware manufacturers need retailers to sell their products and make them a lot more accessible to the consumers.
- Retailers, publishers and hardware manufacturers need consumers to buy their products.
- Consumers need retailers, publishers and hardware manufacturers to make the products available for purchase.

All parties are needed to make something a commercial success.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

The last main game on 3DS sold more than there are Vitas in the wild in Japan (4.1 Million for MH4 vs the ~3.6 Million Vitas). I don't think Capcom would even consider that an option.

Maybe multiplat with PS4 if they really, really, really want to go after the West, but exclusively on the Vita ? Nah

Well...he is joking.

Oregano

No idea, but it looks like the pic is actually from last year (didn't really think too much about it).

Maybe it's the best-seller in the franchise? I dunno.

I don't think it crossed a million which Symphonia and Xillia definitely did.

Celine

It might be the case (as you correctly pointed out something similar happen for PSP too) though the extent of the "PSP-like return" is to be seen since Vita business was until now a few times smaller than what PSP did (even when DS was storming Japan).

We probably won't see much change because the 3DS hardware sales are going down and Wii U doesn't sell well either way, they can only maximize their profits until their next generation launches & QOL.
Agree this generation is set in stone for Nintendo, all they have to do now is to maximize profits and maybe launch a few new successful IP if they can (stuff like Tomodachi for example, not exactly new since the first game was on DS but you get my point)..
The future is what is interesting for Nintendo, hope this time around they put more thoughts into it and be brave.

I think you might want to read some more of the conversation he's responding to :p

3DS collapsing means 3DS being in the 40k territories. Vita rising means being in the 20k territories. That's why it's not happening.
By the time it might happens, 3DS will be replaced. And if Nintendo don't mess up, I wouldn't be surprised if 3DS successor outsell Vita in 2 years.

monpiece

Banned

I assume that is the way you make your analysis, because what you are saying doesn't make any sense to me. There are many variables to take into account when trying to make an accurate prediction.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I assume that is the way you make your analysis, because what you are saying doesn't make any sense to me. There are many variables to take into account when trying to make an accurate prediction.

Yes that's the joke and why he's mocking you. For some reason your argument had you ignore a significant variable. You don't just get to ignore Q4 just because, it's still a very important variable for analytical predictions.

Japan’s 2014 top apps by revenue

iOS

1. Puzzle & Dragons (Gungho) [Same position as last year]
  2. Monster Strike (Mixi) [New]
  3. Line: Disney Tsum Tsum (Line) [New]
  4. Line (Line) [Up from 6th last year]
  5. White Cat Project (Colopl) [New]
  6. Final Fantasy Record Keeper (DeNA) [New]
  7. Line PokoPoko (Line) [New]
  8. Love Live (KLab) [New]
  9. Clash of Clans (Supercell) [Down from 7th last year]
  10. Sengoku Enbu Kizna (Sumzap) [Down from 5th last year]

Android

1. Monster Strike (Mixi) [New]
  2. Puzzle & Dragons (Gungho) [Down from 1st last year]
  3. Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light (Square Enix) [New]
  4. White Cat Project (Colopl) [New]
  5. Line: Disney Tsum Tsum (Line) [New]
  6. Line (Line) [Down from 5th last year]
  7. Quiz RPG: World of Mystic Wiz (Colopl) [Down from 2nd last year]
  8. Line PokoPoko (Line) [New]
  9. Chain Chronicle (Sega) [Down from 4th last year]
  10. School Girl Strikers (Square Enix) [New]

https://www.techinasia.com/japan-top-apps-2014-games-line/

Line (messaging app) is the only non-game app on the list. By active users its Japan's most popular app by far with 54m users in Japan alone. WW it has over 170m active users.

monpiece

Banned
Yes that's the joke and why he's mocking you. For some reason your argument had you ignore a significant variable. You don't just get to ignore Q4 just because, it's still a very important variable for analytical predictions.

So the joke is that the person who didn't accept the argument that only one number doesn't mean much in long time analysis invents a prediction with conclusions that have nothing to do with the argument and believes he is mocking someone?

duckroll

sörine;145335067 said:
Pretty soon Nintendo will have no choice but to give up and make games for Sony. One PlayStation Future.

Yeah. Can't wait to buy Nintendo Classics on PSN. At least they should work on all platforms with a single purchase!

monpiece

Banned
sörine;145335067 said:
Pretty soon Nintendo will have no choice but to give up and make games for Sony. One PlayStation Future.

Nah, they will be the only 3rd party in Sony platforms by then.

Road

PREDICTION LEAGUE JANUARY 2015

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Dec 29/2014 to Jan 25/2015):

[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 Shinuchi (28 days) -
[3DS] Kenka Bancho 6 (11 days) -
[PS3] Tales of Zestiria (4 days) -
[3DS] Legend of Legacy (4 days) -
[WIU] Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (4 days) -
[ALL] Far Cry 4 (4 days) -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deadline: January 7th 2015 08:00 am (EST)
t1420635600z1.png

Attention:
  • Remember for some games it's not only the 1st week.
  • Multiplatform games are the combined available sales of each platform
  • [ALL] = all consoles (PS4 + PS3 + 360 + XBO + etc.) the game is being released

Rules:
  • Do not edit your post after the deadline. If you do, you'll be disqualified.
  • The official monthly hardware sales will be the sum of weekly numbers for all versions of the system available from Famitsu.
  • The official monthly software sales will be the latest total or the sum of the weekly numbers if the title is release before the period available from the Famitsu Top 30.
  • The official monthly sales for multi-platform releases will be the combined available sales of each platform shown in the title entry.
  • The official monthly sales for games with multiple versions will be the combined available sales of each version shown in the title entry.
  • Any game missing in the Famitsu top 30 will be taken out of the predictions.

[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 Shinuchi (28 days) - 510.000
[3DS] Kenka Bancho 6 (11 days) - 45.000
[PS3] Tales of Zestiria (4 days) - 280.000
[3DS] Legend of Legacy (4 days) - 39.000
[WIU] Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (4 days) - 70.000
[ALL] Far Cry 4 (4 days) - 25.000

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So the joke is that the person who didn't accept the argument that only one number doesn't mean much in long time analysis invents a prediction with conclusions that have nothing to do with the argument and believes he is mocking someone?

He's talking about the trend. You may not agree with the conclusion he makes but it's even more illogical to ignore the data outright considering how important Q4 actually is.

edit: Too be honest didn't think you were discussing vita sales not if Nintendo is doomed or not, what an odd argument to have now.

monpiece

Banned
He's talking about the trend and that a Q4 being lower than Q3 is not normal. You may not agree with the conclusion he makes but it's even more illogical to ignore the data outright considering how important Q4 actually is.

I was not even taking an active part on the discussion about Q4 being lower than Q3, I just reminded one user about what happened in Q4 2013. I don't know what you are trying to argue.

LOCK

It should be moderately successful, with sales proportional to the userbase. Probably the same as Captain Toad, I think, but without the Christmas boost.
Except it will have Kirby legs.....well not Kirby himself lol

Road

Comparisons:

4 days:
[PS3] Tales of Xillia: 512,544
[PS3] Tales of Xillia 2: 331,533
[PS3] Tales of Vesperia: 227,506
[PS3] Tales of Graces F: 219,921

11 days:
[PS2] Kenka Bancho: 59,620
[PS2] Kenka Bancho 2: 59,302
[PSP] Kenka Bancho 3: 70,069