• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2014 (Dec 15 - Dec 21)

Yeshua

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Dec 29/2014 to Jan 25/2015):

[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 Shinuchi (28 days) - 500000
[3DS] Kenka Bancho 6 (11 days) - 70000
[PS3] Tales of Zestiria (4 days) - 250000
[3DS] Legend of Legacy (4 days) - 70000
[WIU] Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (4 days) - 30000
[ALL] Far Cry 4 (4 days) - 30000

Tsutaya expects Legend of Legacy to be the 10th best selling game of January 2015 (just one week of sales).

1. Tales of Zestiria (PS3)
2. Yo-kai Watch Shinuchi (3DS)
3. Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (WiiU)
4. Final Fantasy Explorer (3DS)
5. Pokémon Alpha Sapphire (3DS)
6. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS)
7. Pokémon Omega Ruby (3DS)
8. Devil Survivor 2: Break Record (3DS)
9. Far Cry 4 (PS4)
10. Legend of Legacy (3DS)

ibdw5CHfz5W2G.jpg

Yes, the Wii U version of Smash, they are crazy.

Mory Dunz

I think Rhythm Heaven has to be coming next year...it's since 2011 there's no new game from that franchise. Also, I think one between Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi could come back next year. Probably, Mario & Luigi.

But that came out in 2013 though. And PM came out in 2012. Wouldn't that be a short turn around for M&L?

I'm also a bit biased because I want PM....a proper one...on a home console...

seems like next year we get the Silver Week again (4 days holiday around middle September)

didn't remember what happened in 2009 but maybe we'll have some interesting releases for that time

with a poor Q4 line-up it is obvious PSV would have sold less than Q4 2013, GE2 + FFX HD

so obvious that someone still surprised and getting out the classic "Vita is doomed" when 3DS is 1,7mln less than last year, Q4 2014 down from Q4 2013 even with new models, Pokemon and God Watcher 2.5, and over 2mln down from 2012

but seems like 3DS is in good health.....
Plenty of people were concerned with 3DS' sales since the start of this year, but the 3DS has been in good shape this quarter, most of the big launches only happened recently, you can't expect them to carry 3DS sales for the rest of the year.

You denying the 3DS is in good health is worse than people thinking it has no problems at all.

The 3DS started out the year with a 50% drop while Vita was on the rise, it is not as "obvious" as you think, otherwise there would be plenty more people predicting the 3DS and Vita reversing their fortunes by the end of the year when these discussions were happening earlier this year.

Put it this way, if the 3DS and Vita swapped their numbers for the rest of their life, the Vita wouldn't outsell the 3DS LTD sales, so you tell me, is the 3DS in good shape or not?

Your ignorance/denial of the scale at which the 3DS and Vita sells is really blinding you from the reality of the situation, its not just hw either but sw too, its the only healthy console in Japan this generation so far, it has been far more relevant to the whole market overall than even the DS was since smartphone is dominating, something which the DS helped birth so in a way the market would have been fine if the DS didn't exist at all. You can't say the same thing for the 3DS though, without its existence, the market would be even worse off than it is right now. It's also easy to think that another console would take its place if the 3DS didn't exist but we see platforms flopping left and right this generation, weekly 3DS numbers are the only thing comparable to previous gen's numbers.

Sorry I ranted for a bit there but it is a bit annoying to see people ignore reality, without better software support, the Vita is definitely "doomed" and the same thing applies to the 3DS, but it's clear that isn't likely, it has already solidified its top place in the market despite slow periods where there wasn't much big sellers. Nothing on the horizon is poised to overthrow it, unlike the later years of the DS where the PSP/PS3 was still getting proper support.
The PS4 will sell better when there's more games, but its not like the PSP which was selling close to DS numbers in its first years, it'll sell along side the 3DS, rather than dominating it weekly. One being a home console and one being a handheld is definitely something people can't ignore.

Developers could coast by on PS3/PSV support, despite Nintendo's dominance, but this gen is much different where publishers can't afford to lose any sales at all because any loss of sales means significantly more than it did last gen since the market is so much smaller and competition much higher than it was. Last gen third parties started off with the PSP and many was comfortable with the results since there was still a sizable userbase to sell to on the PSP and when the PS3 arrived, they didn't need to jump on it if they didn't want to, they could stick to the big userbase on the PSP and then move on to the PS3 when its numbers grew, opposite of this gen where both the Vita and PS4 is selling poorly in the sense that the overall userbase isn't growing sufficiently enough for them to keep ignoring the clear market leader.

The fact that this gen's 100k is last gen's 300k should be a big concern to everyone, since the total absolute numbers is the only thing that matters at the end of the day, this isn't F2P. It's good that a few developers are fine with the Vita's numbers and have found success, unlike the Wii U which is toxic to even Nintendo's own franchises, but for everyone else who has big brands or want to try their luck on new IPs, the 3DS is the safest bet. Third parties for the most part has given the Vita what it deserves, but without enough developers making high selling games on it to push numbers, it's only a matter of time before the Vita itself dies with it.

The Vita is essentially as dead as the Wii U, they both have a core niche fanbase, but thats about it, the only difference is that the Vita might live on by getting PS3/PS4 ports and the majority of fanbase doesn't necessarily thrive on million sellers. Its a good buffer against Nintendo in Japan for Sony, but if they don't start countering Nintendo's first parties with their own, then there's no point in releasing a successor, unless they want to see Vita part 2. As much as I love Nintendo, I really rather more competition in the market to keep Nintendo on their toes or they'll get complacent like the later years of the Wii, but the loss of Sony's handheld wouldn't bother me much since a home console like the PS4 can easily absorb those kinda games.

There's another two paragraphs, I'll stop now.

Tsutaya expects Legend of Legacy to be the 10th best selling game of January 2015 (just one week of sales).

1. Tales of Zestiria (PS3)
2. Yo-kai Watch Shinuchi (3DS)
3. Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (WiiU)
4. Final Fantasy Explorer (3DS)
5. Pokémon Alpha Sapphire (3DS)
6. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS)
7. Pokémon Omega Ruby (3DS)
8. Devil Survivor 2: Break Record (3DS)
9. Far Cry 4 (PS4)
10. Legend of Legacy (3DS)

ibdw5CHfz5W2G.jpg

Yes, the Wii U version of Smash, they are crazy.
wait wth, how did I miss the 10th, all I saw was best selling lol

But that came out in 2013 though. And PM came out in 2012. Wouldn't that be a short turn around for M&L?

I'm also a bit biased because I want PM....a proper one...on a home console...
Why did they have to fuck with the original PM formula? they should release one quick just to make up for the last one, it'd be a nice fit for the Wii U

It should be moderately successful, with sales proportional to the userbase. Probably the same as Captain Toad, I think, but without the Christmas boost.
Kirby could easily do 100k FW, even on the Wii U, if only because of the nonexistant but awesome legs he possesses, triple deluxe also sold well on 3DS and even air ride sold well on the GC.

Nah, they will be the only 3rd party in Sony platforms by then.
Vita support is gonna get that bad huh?

Wii U is the definitive version: Better visuals, performance, controls and online. In general, it has better playability.

Or let me put it this way:

The negative effect on the sales of the 3DS version would' ve been bigger by releasing the Wii U first than the other way around.

Another thing to consider is that for the serious Smash player the 3DS was an appetizer, a taste of things to come. So that compelled this type of user to get both. Release the definitive version first and then there wouldn't be any incentive for this segment to get the portable version.
I think people are over blowing the fact that by releasing the Wii U version first that it would greatly affect the 3DS, it's far more reasonable to think that by not releasing the 3DS version first during the holiday craze, they would lose alot of potential casual sales to other bigger games on the 3DS this quarter, which is much higher than any potential loss of double dipping sales due to the Wii U version releasing first. People aren't choosing between the versions, they're gonna get one or the other either way depending on where they prefer to game, Japan is handheld land, so releasing the most popular version in time for the holiday is far more important than the possibility of double dipping or low Wii U numbers.

The Wii U version might lose a few sales by releasing late, but it's for the greater good and with the Wii U in its current state, smash wouldn't have sold much higher than it is right now. Both games were announced at the same time and the 3DS is Japan's choice, you can't fight the rising tide, it was bound to happen. Nintendo shouldn't care about improving Wii U numbers if it means losing a ton of potential sales, they already want to move on, and anything they put out is just good will.

Both versions combined have already or nearly outsold brawl's total numbers, which indicates a flood of new fans but for the most part people have already bought the 3DS as shown by the low hw numbers on the two weeks it's supposed to have some impact, so its more Nintendo serving what the market wants, rather than them trying to force them to double dip.

Smash 3DS XL console didn't sell much, I don't know why anyone thinks Smash Wii U releasing first would improve Wii U numbers by any significant amont, people are more likely to buy a 3DS and the game than shell out money for a Wii U and anyone willing to spend that much for one game is obviously already a smash/nintendo fan and would likely already have the console. Nintendo knows who the Wii U is appealing to, so there's really little benefit in releasing it first.

Plenty of people were concerned with 3DS' sales since the start of this year, but the 3DS has been in good shape this quarter, most of the big launches only happened recently, you can't expect them to carry 3DS sales for the rest of the year.

You denying the 3DS is in good health is worse than people thinking it has no problems at all.

The 3DS started out the year with a 50% drop while Vita was on the rise, it is not as "obvious" as you think, otherwise there would be plenty more people predicting the 3DS and Vita reversing their fortunes by the end of the year when these discussions were happening earlier this year.

Put it this way, if the 3DS and Vita swapped their numbers for the rest of their life, the Vita wouldn't outsell the 3DS LTD sales, so you tell me, is the 3DS in good shape or not?

Your ignorance/denial of the scale at which the 3DS and Vita sells is really blinding you from the reality of the situation, its not just hw either but sw too, its the only healthy console in Japan this generation so far, it has been far more relevant to the whole market overall than even the DS was since smartphone is dominating, something which the DS helped birth so in a way the market would have been fine if the DS didn't exist at all. You can't say the same thing for the 3DS though, without its existence, the market would be even worse off than it is right now. It's also easy to think that another console would take its place if the 3DS didn't exist but we see platforms flopping left and right this generation, weekly 3DS numbers are the only thing comparable to previous gen's numbers.

Sorry I ranted for a bit there but it is a bit annoying to see people ignore reality, without better software support, the Vita is definitely "doomed" and the same thing applies to the 3DS, but it's clear that isn't likely, it has already solidified its top place in the market despite slow periods where there wasn't much big sellers. Nothing on the horizon is poised to overthrow it, unlike the later years of the DS where the PSP/PS3 was still getting proper support.
The PS4 will sell better when there's more games, but its not like the PSP which was selling close to DS numbers in its first years, it'll sell along side the 3DS, rather than dominating it weekly. One being a home console and one being a handheld is definitely something people can't ignore.

Developers could coast by on PS3/PSV support, despite Nintendo's dominance, but this gen is much different where publishers can't afford to lose any sales at all because any loss of sales means significantly more than it did last gen since the market is so much smaller and competition much higher than it was. Last gen third parties started off with the PSP and many was comfortable with the results since there was still a sizable userbase to sell to on the PSP and when the PS3 arrived, they didn't need to jump on it if they didn't want to, they could stick to the big userbase on the PSP and then move on to the PS3 when its numbers grew, opposite of this gen where both the Vita and PS4 is selling poorly in the sense that the overall userbase isn't growing sufficiently enough for them to keep ignoring the clear market leader.

The fact that this gen's 100k is last gen's 300k should be a big concern to everyone, since the total absolute numbers is the only thing that matters at the end of the day, this isn't F2P. It's good that a few developers are fine with the Vita's numbers and have found success, unlike the Wii U which is toxic to even Nintendo's own franchises, but for everyone else who has big brands or want to try their luck on new IPs, the 3DS is the safest bet. Third parties for the most part has given the Vita what it deserves, but without enough developers making high selling games on it to push numbers, it's only a matter of time before the Vita itself dies with it.

The Vita is essentially as dead as the Wii U, they both have a core niche fanbase, but thats about it, the only difference is that the Vita might live on by getting PS3/PS4 ports and the majority of fanbase doesn't necessarily thrive on million sellers. Its a good buffer against Nintendo in Japan for Sony, but if they don't start countering Nintendo's first parties with their own, then there's no point in releasing a successor, unless they want to see Vita part 2. As much as I love Nintendo, I really rather more competition in the market to keep Nintendo on their toes or they'll get complacent like the later years of the Wii, but the loss of Sony's handheld wouldn't bother me much since a home console like the PS4 can easily absorb those kinda games.

There's another two paragraphs, I'll stop now.

wait wth, how did I miss the 10th, all I saw was best selling lol

Why did they have to fuck with the original PM formula? they should release one quick just to make up for the last one, it'd be a nice fit for the Wii U

Kirby could easily do 100k FW, even on the Wii U, if only because of the nonexistant but awesome legs he possesses, triple deluxe also sold well on 3DS and even air ride sold well on the GC.

Vita support is gonna get that bad huh?

I think people are over blowing the fact that by releasing the Wii U version first that it would greatly affect the 3DS, it's far more reasonable to think that by not releasing the 3DS version first during the holiday craze, they would lose alot of potential casual sales to other bigger games on the 3DS this quarter, which is much higher than any potential loss of double dipping sales due to the Wii U version releasing first. People aren't choosing between the versions, they're gonna get one or the other either way depending on where they prefer to game, Japan is handheld land, so releasing the most popular version in time for the holiday is far more important than the possibility of double dipping or low Wii U numbers.

The Wii U version might lose a few sales by releasing late, but it's for the greater good and with the Wii U in its current state, smash wouldn't have sold much higher than it is right now. Both games were announced at the same time and the 3DS is Japan's choice, you can't fight the rising tide, it was bound to happen. Nintendo shouldn't care about improving Wii U numbers if it means losing a ton of potential sales, they already want to move on, and anything they put out is just good will.

Both versions combined have already or nearly outsold brawl's total numbers, which indicates a flood of new fans but for the most part people have already bought the 3DS as shown by the low hw numbers on the two weeks it's supposed to have some impact, so its more Nintendo serving what the market wants, rather than them trying to force them to double dip.

Smash 3DS XL console didn't sell much, I don't know why anyone thinks Smash Wii U releasing first would improve Wii U numbers by any significant amont, people are more likely to buy a 3DS and the game than shell out money for a Wii U and anyone willing to spend that much for one game is obviously already a smash/nintendo fan and would likely already have the console. Nintendo knows who the Wii U is appealing to, so there's really little benefit in releasing it first.

I'll be blind but honestly is quite boring every week every 3 posts reading comments such as "thanks 3DS for saving the market in Japan" or "my god (insert the name of a low budget 3DS game) is selling incredibily well, 3DS can let every company to make profit!!!"

gloryfing every shit which comes out for 3DS and biasing all the rest, sorry but this is not the neogaf Sales-Age I was used to, seems like "3DS sales are so good" corner

sorry for poor english, not my first language and iphone's T9 sucks

When a system sells twice or three times as much as all the other systems combined; and sells a huge amount of games compared to its competitors; and has an average of 12-13 titles in the Top 30 on a weekly basis... This happens.

People talk about how sales are and, unfortunately for you, Japanese sales are dominated by the 3DS; the same was when DS was dominating, and when PSP took the lead. I don't see the difference in talking about PS Nova and Sumikko Gurashi when they will probably end selling the same and no one is going to be localized :p

I'll be blind but honestly is quite boring every week every 3 posts reading comments such as "thanks 3DS for saving the market in Japan" or "my god (insert the name of a low budget 3DS game) is selling incredibily well, 3DS can let every company to make profit!!!"

gloryfing every shit which comes out for 3DS and biasing all the rest, sorry but this is not the neogaf Sales-Age I was used to, seems like "3DS sales are so good" corner

But thats not Sales Age....is it? I mean thats only a couple of posters out of a score of posters. You can't expect meaningful discussions every week or prevent the repeat of age old discussions because inevitably there will be boring weeks or very predictable ones throughout the year...well I don't expect that :p

2014 was an interesting year though. We had the launch of the PS4 and subsequent collapse, we had the phenomena of YW which no one saw coming and who could forget Vita's 2014 #Champion :p

BriBri

Just reading some old blog posts and Akihiro Hino of Level-5 in the last Famitsu of 2013 wrote that his resolution was “For 2014, I’d like to start by moving forward with smartphone games. I’m determined to succeed. I believe that this is just as important now as it was when Level-5 first became a publisher. I want try new things and strive ahead, like when I first started out."

Darius

Banned

Does it really bother you so much when 3DS sales numbers are beeing put in context to other successful systems, to contradict ignorant doom and gloom posts? You can´t deny that 3DS has been put more often than not in a very exaggerated negative light, despite outperforming systems like PS2. While you had absolutely no problem with the former which clearly misrepresent the actual situation and in the last almost 4 years wasn´t worth any of your attention you start complaining about some positive posts?

On the other hand you started to complain and make sarcastic remarks from the very beginning when people suggested that PSNova could underperform. The "problem" seems quite clear, it´s a silly matter of "Sony vs Nintendo".

Just reading some old blog posts and Akihiro Hino of Level-5 in the last Famitsu of 2013 wrote that his resolution was “For 2014, I’d like to start by moving forward with smartphone games. I’m determined to succeed. I believe that this is just as important now as it was when Level-5 first became a publisher. I want try new things and strive ahead, like when I first started out."
To be honest, I wish him success in the mobile market, he is a talented and smart guy. But please don't abandon the handheld market.

Darius

Banned

His goal to make a bigger hit than Youkai Watch suggests that the project he´s refering to could target smartphones or multiple systems, while building on YW success on 3DS isn´t out of the question either. His influence in the market outside Japan is relatively small, so Japan will likely still be his focus.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

c'mon, there are also posters whn tend to biase the 3ds as their main goal. as usual. interesting sales age discussion can be easily done. it is enough to ignore the worst agendas. if just you and fondente could dig the war axe..

btw, Hino 15 resolution is really intriguing..I wonder if the record setting ps4 (ww) is the focus of his record setting project.
in any case the dichotomy between japan and the rest of the world really is a rebus for japanese company, imho, for this kind of projects

Wondering whether YW success made him change business strategy. Level-5 didn't have any game in 2014 outside YW, which would have been an unrealistic plan to begin with. Hino also recently stated that YW success could have not been possible on mobile.

c'mon, there are also posters whn tend to biase the 3ds as their main goal. as usual. interesting sales age discussion can be easily done. it is enough to ignore the worst agendas. if just you and fondente could dig the war axe..

Trying to work through the biases can be a difficult sea to navigate. People tend to be very good at historical stuff, but biases seem to come out more when they are playing Nostradamus by reading the entrails of past sales.

There also seems to be an almost perverse desire to see things fail. I'm curious what a chart of combined console sales and combined handheld sales would look like over the past few decades, and how closely it aligns to the various doom and gloom / mobile apocalypse scenarios, but I'm almost afraid to even look.

But what do I know, my game of the year was a big Japanese sales failure :)

MauMau

Banned
Glad to see Captain Toad selling well but sad to see that it will surpass hyrule warriors or dkong or bayonetta sales so easily..

And wii u will surely have a big price drop these months.
They need to do it or they will never surpass the gc number

Their goal right now is short and long term profit and planning for the next stream of systems. not meeting the sales of another long since failed platform.

test_account

XP-39C²
How come the new week isn't posted yet?
They wont be posted before Monday at earliest because of New Years Eve.

EDIT:

There also seems to be an almost perverse desire to see things fail.
I have to agree, sometimes (to me at least) it feels that negatives are being brought up more as an "enjoyment" rather than trying to have a discussion around it (this goes for all systems). Maybe it is as an attempt to annoy certain fans, but i dont know (i dont really mind that as much if its said in a friendly and jokeful way, but i find it worse when its said with a more serious/"high horse" tone). Although, to be fair, that might not be the intention at all, but sometimes it feels like it i think.

everyone has a bias, what makes your vita bias any better than the 3ds bias? You're not doing yourself or sales-age any favors by complaining about these frivolous things. DS/Wii love was 10 times as strong as it is for the 3DS, I don't remember you complaining back then. It's really hard to ignore the fact that it is obvious you just simply don't like Nintendo systems doing well, I hardly read the threads these days but I always see you complaining about people's excitement, why? You can enjoy your Vita, let people love and cheer on the 3DS, I can't think of any other reason why you keep complaining bout it.

There's plenty of discussion going on thats not just all about 3DS love or the 3DS at all, and those quotes in your post might be bias, but is true that the 3DS is carrying Japan's market, every other system is flopping.

You don't have to apologize for your english, it is fine and I didn't mean to spam you with a wall full of text, I don't post much these days so its the result of a few weeks of built up sales data that I no longer have the time to post more about.

You shouldn't get so worked up over 3DS love, I find the people who just wants to argue rather than discuss to be more annoying than people showing love for any system.

This will be the first year since PS1 launch Nintendo will have a full top 10 at best selling sotware.
man, reminds me of DS/Wii domination on the weekly charts, both combined dominated the top 30 IIRC and the DS alone dominated like top 15 or top 20 on the regular.

Wondering whether YW success made him change business strategy. Level-5 didn't have any game in 2014 outside YW, which would have been an unrealistic plan to begin with. Hino also recently stated that YW success could have not been possible on mobile.
Its possible they held back completed games to focus on YW even though they like to milk their series for all their worth and they're pretty consistent with the yearly releases. They did the same thing as they did for their DS games, only this time they're more experienced and they captured a bigger audience than anything else they made. Even if YW didn't take off at the scale it did, YW2 would have still been released a year later just as they did for their other franchises, the only thing different is that they know they can get away with a third release half a year later.

YW definitely changed their plans a bit, but I think they had the same feeling I had in that it'd sell well enough even without the anime and I think we would have been blessed with a few more games at the end of 2014 if the anime didn't work out which came at the start of the year, giving them plenty of time to figure out what to focus on.

L5 is really lucky YW is so big, it really makes up for the 300k~ sellers that their games have been doing this generation, don't think they can keep coasting by with all their franchises losing sales with every release.

Oh happy new year sales-age, hope 2015 is even more interesting than it has been this year.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the yearly Top 10.
I know he is, thats why I said weekly charts =]

Trying to work through the biases can be a difficult sea to navigate. People tend to be very good at historical stuff, but biases seem to come out more when they are playing Nostradamus by reading the entrails of past sales.

There also seems to be an almost perverse desire to see things fail. I'm curious what a chart of combined console sales and combined handheld sales would look like over the past few decades, and how closely it aligns to the various doom and gloom / mobile apocalypse scenarios, but I'm almost afraid to even look.

But what do I know, my game of the year was a big Japanese sales failure :)
Think of it like a sport, there's winners and losers, its fun to rub it in the face of the losers and to cheer on the winners, people love to see things fail just as much as they love to see the things they like succeeding, it's really not that serious. Of course everyone should control their bias, but at the end of the day thats what makes things interesting and people can't help being bias towards the things they love, it's only annoying when people take it too far and as a result ignore reality just because it's not convenient for them.

Someone posted that list a few pages back, Road IIRC and mobile is definitely dooming dedicated consoles, previous gens we had plenty of successful consoles in their own right, excluding the really "dedicated" people, everyone had something to cheer on about, but this gen only the 3DS is putting up comparable numbers so fans of other consoles feel a bit left out since you simply can't ignore the elephant in the time this time around.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I know this has probably been asked 1,000 times and apologies in advance. Can anyone tell me when we will get sell through figures for after 21st December?

Think of it like a sport, there's winners and losers, its fun to rub it in the face of the losers and to cheer on the winners, people love to see things fail just as much as they love to see the things they like succeeding, it's really not that serious. Of course everyone should control their bias, but at the end of the day thats what makes things interesting and people can't help being bias towards the things they love, it's only annoying when people take it too far and as a result ignore reality just because it's not convenient for them.

Someone posted that list a few pages back, Road IIRC and mobile is definitely dooming dedicated consoles, previous gens we had plenty of successful consoles in their own right, excluding the really "dedicated" people, everyone had something to cheer on about, but this gen only the 3DS is putting up comparable numbers so fans of other consoles feel a bit left out since you simply can't ignore the elephant in the time this time around.

I can imagine it as being some kind of sport, just kind of wish it was separate from the sales stuff as it adds a lot of noise and means its easy to miss the interesting stuff.

When you say equivalent do you mean 3DS+Vita is equivalent on a yearly basis with DS+PSP? If that's the case I am kind of surprised that mobile hasn't been eating into that slice of pie.

I'm interested in the health of console gaming in Japan, as I like Japanese console games but am not big on handhelds. These threads can be hard to read sometimes as too many seem to be cheering for the rockets.

I know this has probably been asked 1,000 times and apologies in advance. Can anyone tell me when we will get sell through figures for after 21st December?

Maybe Chris should put this in the OP :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Someone posted Square's annual report for last fiscal year earlier today and, since it took me a bit to realize it was old since no major releases appeared missing, it made me realize how bad this fiscal year is for Square Enix retail games.

New Retail Games:
-Murdered: Soul Suspect
-Final Fantasy: Explorers
-Chaos Rings 3 (smartphone port)
-Dragon Quest Heroes
-Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
-Theatrhythm: Dragon Quest

Ports/Remasters:
-Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
-Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix
-Dragon Quest X 3DS Cloud Edition

I guess Heavensward isn't entirely off the table, but it is listed as Spring which is overwhelmingly next fiscal year.

Am I missing anything? I realize next fiscal year is better, but I'm kind of shocked at how there is so little of notable substance financially.

Oregano

You missed Dragon Quest X 3DS. It's still not a massive title but it has its own subscription so it might have made them a bit.

Oregano

Also of interest. I believe Takao (jokingly) suggested that Bravely Second and Dragon Quest Heroes got their release dates swapped because BS was slated for Winter and DQ:Heroes for Spring but I think it might actually be plausible now that we know Yuu Miyake and Ryutaro Ichimura were in charge of Bravely Default's production(and presumably Second's as well).

I actually took a look at the 4 Heroes of the Lights credits and Yuu Miyake is mentioned in the special thanks section alongside a bunch of people affiliated with Dragon Quest(including Yosuke Saito, director of DQX). Actually the only FF affiliated people in the Special Thanks section are Yoshinori Kitase and Akitoshi Kawazu which... probably isn't actually all that interesting!

extralite

Jin Fujisawa directed version 1. Yosuke Saito always was the producer.

Going by his comment in a recent Famitsu I'm assuming Saito will reprise his director role in version 3.

Oregano

Jin Fujisawa directed version 1. Yosuke Saito always was the producer.

Going by his comment in a recent Famitsu I'm assuming Saito will reprise his director role in version 3.

Ahh cool, I don't know why I had it in my head that Yosuke Saito was the Director.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
predictions

[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 Shinuchi (28 days) - 456.789
[3DS] Kenka Bancho 6 (11 days) - 45.678
[PS3] Tales of Zestiria (4 days) - 321.098
[3DS] Legend of Legacy (4 days) - 43.210
[WIU] Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (4 days) - 78.901
[ALL] Far Cry 4 (4 days) - 34.567

BriBri

3DS all-time digital charts see a ton of games swap positions...
01. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
02. Pokémon AR Searcher
03. Monster Hunter 4
04. Pokémon Battle Trozei
05. Bike Rider DX
06. Super Mario Bros.
07. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
08. Puyo Puyo!! Mini Version
09. Super Mario Bros. 3
10. 10 Second Run
11. Denpa Ningen no RPG
12. Monster Hunter 4G
13. 3D Kirby’s Adventure
14. Denpa Ningen no RPG 2
15. Bike Rider DX2 Galaxy
16. Kirby Fighters Z
17. Shaun the Sheep 3D video 1
18. Touch Battle Tank 3D-2
19. Tomodachi Collection: New Life
20. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening DX

hiska-kun

What's going on with this? I thought the PS3 version was already massively down from the first game. They didn't even ship enough to match the lowered demand?

PS3 is fully available, but the Vita version seems it's not meeting demand. GamesMaya also noted strong sales, just for the Vita version.
Tsutaya's ranking also showed PSV > PS3

I guess people prefer to play this game in a portable device?

Top Bottom