• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 6, 2012 (Feb 06 - Feb 12)

Dalthien

You have a clear physical change - two sticks, larger screen. 3DS was in worse situation here.

Umm...3DS has an extra stick vs. DS. Vita has an extra stick vs. PSP. 3DS has a larger (and widescreen) top screen vs. DS. Vita has a larger screen vs. PSP.

I don't buy the differentiation problem in either case - but your argument wasn't really thought through there.

Thoraxes

Considering Nintendo did a 360 on 3DS mostly advertised feature - 3D? No, I don't think differentiation is a problem. You have a clear physical change - two sticks, larger screen. 3DS was in worse situation here.

I think both systems look alarmingly like their predecessors. Adding one stick to either system over their past counterparts doesn't change much for the aesthetic of the devices.

Takao

Banned
totally forgot about Phantasy Star 0. How did that sell compared to PSP 1/2? Maybe that could be a reason for Sega to bet on the 3DS?

Anyway, I agree that thy Vita should get PSO. Especially since the title is so fitting.

There is a single Phantasy Star title on DS. Do you think they sold well in comparison to the Portable games?

I think both systems look alarmingly like their predecessors. Adding one stick to either system over their past counterparts doesn't change much for the aesthetic of the devices.

That is true, didn't think it through. Still, I don't think there is any potential confusion among customers. It's not like smartphone market, where you have 20 SKUs at once from one producer.

Just saw the Taco Bell commercial for the first time, and I was really struck by how much a Vita resembles a PSP. Could Vita be victim of the same failure to differentiate itself adequately from its predecessor that plagued the 3DS?
Consumers aren't stupid, at the end of the day its the games that will differentiate the consoles, otherwise the 360 would be selling on par with the PS3.

Truth101

Banned
There is a single Phantasy Star title on DS. Do you think they sold well in comparison to the Portable games?

Phantasy Star Zero -202,856 (Released 5 months after Portable)

Phantasy Star Portable -633,954
Phantasy Star Portable 2 -590,527

Consumers aren't stupid, at the end of the day its the games that will differentiate the consoles, otherwise the 360 would be selling on par with the PS3.

Golden rule I live by

People are stupid.

Not stupid enough to not know the difference between a DS, 3DS, PSP and a Vita. We wouldn't have the PSP outselling the Vita otherwise.

Truth101

Banned
Not stupid enough to not know the difference between a DS, 3DS, PSP and a Vita. We wouldn't have the PSP outselling the Vita otherwise.

PSP is just more appealing than the Vita is right now.

Also, yes people are.

Edit:

Most people make the misconception during advertisement, it's hard to mistake price-tags.

Truth101

Banned
Well yeah because they know the difference between the two, they don't get confused just because they look the same.

Read my edit.

I can speak from experience.

People may realize the 3DS is not the DSi or DSiXL ect, but they think it is just a DS with 3D. The Vita can and probably will fall to those same misconceptions.

That is why it really isn't advertised as a 3D DS anymore, but rather as a DS 2.

I'm kinda just rambling at this point now, haha.

fernoca

That too.
I usually read about the whole "people might be confused between the 3DS and DS" around here...when the system wasn't selling as well as some expected.
Heck, I might agree that there were (and are) some uninformed customers (and the way it was promoted in some stores and the retail games put along with DS games didn't helped).

But how's that after the new price and the new games, the whole "confusion arguments" stopped?
People suddenly realized that the 3DS was a brand new system when the price was at $169.99, but thought that it was just another DS redesign when it was $249.99? :p

In the end, it comes to games.
Maybe those not informed needed to see games to see the differences; same way many needed to see games to actually buy one.

Read my edit.

People may realize the 3DS is not the DSi or DSiXL ect, but they think it is just a DS with 3D. The Vita can and probably will fall to those same misconceptions.

That is why it really isn't advertised as a 3D DS anymore, but rather as a DS 2.

At launch that may be true because there's a lack of games that have a big appeal. Once heavy hitters come out, its obvious.

guek

Banned
Read my edit.

I wonder if it wasn't that some of the more casual consumers began picking up the 3DS because they began understanding this was a whole new handheld generation but rather that the popularity of the DS line never really waned and all it took was some time for the 3DS to become established as the "new" or latest DS akin to the DSXL and DSi before it and people just naturally moved on to the new hotness.

Truth101

Banned
That too.
I usually read about the whole "people might be confused between the 3DS and DS" around here...when the system was selling as well as some expected. Heck, I might agree that there a were (and are) some uninformed customers (and the way it was promoted in soem stores and the retail games put along with DS games didn't helped).

But how's that after the new price and the new games, the whole "confusion arguments" stopped? People suddenly realized that the 3DS was a brand new system when the price was at $169.99, but thought that it was just another DS redesign when it was $249.99? :p

It's the advertisement that misled people, and that advertisement was changed. If it was changed because it was being misinterpreted, well I don't really know.

People often don't mistake similar products in person, especially when the price tags are so different. As I said above the misconceptions come with how the product is portrayed to a consumer before they see the product in person.

I know quite a few people who while knew the 3DS was a different system than the DSi/XL, thought the differences only extended to the 3D screen. When it started to be advertised as the next new thing that misconception changed for a lot of people.

Now, I'd say that advertising and mistaking the Vita for the PSP are the least of the reasons why it is performing so poorly. Most of it can be attributed to price, software, and one has to consider a consumer is always looking for the best value and many of them would see the 3DS as that.

Tired so it took me a while to compose my thoughts into words.

kiri

Please do! It'll also be interesting to see how well Tekken 3D Prime does...

I couldn't really see much of Tekken Prime 3D in both places I visited bar a couple of demo boxes.

Theatrhythm has had a pretty good sell-through on the first day it seems, but has had a pretty low shipment. My contact in the north of Tokyo said that a couple of shops hadn't even received their copies yet and would on Friday. They speculated that they had been diverted to the bigger shops in central Tokyo. In my location, the shops I visited seemed content with the sales of the game that day, whilst a sell-through looks likely, it might be because of low stock numbers, but I couldn't specifically ask them for that information.

In this thread on 2ch, (yes, I know) a lot of people have noticed a shortage, similar to what Senran Kagura experienced in its first few weeks.

Also of note is the usual price of DLC songs for Theatrhythm has been cut from 150yen to 100yen until March 7th. This has been mentioned in both 2ch and here in Famitsu Online.
(Please copy & paste for the link; http://www.famitsu.com/news/201202/16010066.html )

Square-Enix is also posting unlisted YouTube links of the DLC songs to listen to before you buy them, here; http://www.square-enix.co.jp/t_ff/musiclist.html

Theatrhythm has had a pretty good sell-through on the first day it seems, but has had a pretty low shipment. My contact in the north of Tokyo said that a couple of shops hadn't even received their copies yet and would on Friday. They speculated that they had been diverted to the bigger shops in central Tokyo. In my location, the shops I visited seemed content with the sales of the game that day, whilst a sell-through looks likely, it might be because of low stock numbers, but I couldn't specifically ask them for that information.

S-E being cautious after disaster numbers for FFXIII-2? Still, I think it will have long legs.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think that's referring to his notorious predictions about MH3G being a huge flop on a Nintendo handheld, but it's a moot issue anyway since apparently that was not the impetus for the lock.
It could be that this is what he thought of yeah, but that was just one prediction for one specific game. I'd agree that it was a bold prediction, but no one knew 100% sure how TriG would be recieved. I've seen DCharlie say positive things about the 3DS as well, so i'm not under the impression that he is "against" (or what i shall call it) any systems.

Yeah I was thinking the same. Jesus, guy made one prediction on MH sales that didn't pan out, and now he is an outcast with a 'reputation'? Lol, overreact much?
Yeah, i havnt seen all of his comments though, that why i had to ask what's being referred to :) But if it was just that MH prediction, then that was just one prediction indeed.

Vita, I can agree with, but the WiiU, I can't.

See, there's something we all forget: portables are meant for PORTABLE gaming experiences. And developers know it, after what happened with some PSP games that offered a full-featured console experience in your hand and then proceeded to bomb miserably. So that's going to put a cap on a lot of straight Vita ports of full console games, especially in certain genres.
What is the definition of "portable gaming experiences"? I know about games that are designed more around to be played in short bursts, but i looked through lists of portable games that sold pretty good, and i see that a lot of them are full fledge games that could be done exactly the same on consoles as well.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
What is the definition of "portable gaming experiences"? I've looked through lists of portable games that sold pretty good, and i see that a lot of them could be done exactly the same on console.

Who would want to play a mainline Pokemon game on a console, it's a game designed to be on the move, meeting people and trading pokemon etc. Could it be done on a mainline console console, yes as can practically any portal game in existence provided it has sufficient input methods, would it work well on a console no, it's just not appealing.

Who would want to play a mainline Pokemon game on a console, it's a game designed to be on the move, meeting people and trading pokemon etc. Could it be done on a mainline console console, yes as can practically any portal game in existence provided it has sufficient input methods, would it work well on a console no, it's just not appealing.

I don't see that at all, online trading of pokemon could be pretty huge in the same way that item trading was in D2.

IPHONE, and to a lesser degree, Android.

How the hell can you put out a machine that even remotely tries to compare.

And costs more.

Poor Vita

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
What's this talk about people being stupid?

People are not stupid, people are often uninformed or misinformed, which is very different. Stupid are the ones who defend the "people are stupid" argument.

test_account

XP-39C²
True, Pokémon is one good example, same with Monster Hunter. But there are more games than these that sell well on handheld systems, and many of these games are not very different than what the console counterpart can offer.

I dont really disagree with what was said earlier, but there are many games who have sold well that arent particulary designed very different than the console counterpart. So i think that all types of games can succeed on handhelds if the games themself are good :)

IPHONE, and to a lesser degree, Android.

How the hell can you put out a machine that even remotely tries to compare.

And costs more.

Poor Vita
What cost more?

DCharlie

Banned
Seemed to be good movement on Theatrhythm - few copies bought when i was in Sofmap Shinjuku and they were down to a fairly meagre number of copies.

Yodobashi had sold out.

Shibuya Bic had sold out when i passed through later at night too.

Could be low shipping but i thought i'd read in one of the MC threads that it was almost at 100% preorder for the suggested initial batch? Or maybe i dreamt it :/

Wouldn't they have been manufacturing cartridges before FFXIII-2 was released?

Don't know. It's almost exactly 2 months after FFXIII-2. In the west the game goes Gold 1-1.5 months before release, correct? You may be right, they could've started before FFXIII-2 was out, but maybe they adjusted accordingly? Still strange to have a low print run, it's S-E after all.

Little Battler eXperience Top Secret Game Info Coming Next Month

Level-5 will be sharing information about a "top secret game" related to the Little Battler eXperience franchise next month. Game Memo reports today that the latest issue of Coro Coro Comics teases the announcement for its April issue, which hits on March 15.

Boost included a new "Episode 0" scenario which was said to connect to an as-yet-unannounced sequel.
http://andriasang.com/comzzu/lbx_new_game/

Seemed to be good movement on Theatrhythm - few copies bought when i was in Sofmap Shinjuku and they were down to a fairly meagre number of copies.

Yodobashi had sold out.

Could be low shipping but i thought i'd read in one of the MC threads that it was almost at 100% preorder for the suggested initial batch? Or maybe i dreamt it :/
According to Sinobi, yes.

And they have more info on Theatrhythm, Rune Factory 4 and Project Mirai. Would you mind translating? :p

DCharlie

Banned
Would you mind translating? :p

it says "Japanese publishers are..." ;)

Stick the link up somewhere, i doubt i'll get to it - i'm still working and i don't see that ending for another 3-4 hours.

kiri

Yodobashi had sold out.

2ch said that Yodobashi only stocked a small number of copies on top of what was already pre-ordered. Some small Tsutaya's still have copies from what I hear.

In other Square-Enix news, sales for the Kingdom Hearts-designed 3DS have been turned into a lottery as the website to preorder it crashed with people in Japan trying to obtain one.

DrWong

Enterbrain and Famitsu have released the January edition of their monthly revenue chart. Different from their monthly top ten software sales chart, this chart lists which publisher took the highest share of game sales revenue for the month.

For January, which covers December 26 through January 29, Nintendo was the top publisher, accounting for 23.6% of game revenue. Namco Bandai followed at 18%, with Capcom in third with 10.9%, Square Enix in fourth with 6.9% and Konami in fifth with 6.2%.

Six to ten were Tecmo Koei, From Software, Level-5, Sega and Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, in that order.

http://andriasang.com/comzzx/january_revenue/

Exactly consumer's - read, you, aren't stupid.

But its not the games they want.

It's money. And they want more of it in their pockets. Don't you?

And we all want to feel connected, not in the Vita gimped way. Anyhow, I'll buy one next week :)

Actually, maybe we dont want money, maybe we want more stuff, I dunno. Maybe it's really value we are after, and if thats the case Vita should have launched at 149 US, and not been a smartass trying to perceive itself as competition for IOS.

Who the hell knows

Just saw the Taco Bell commercial for the first time, and I was really struck by how much a Vita resembles a PSP. Could Vita be victim of the same failure to differentiate itself adequately from its predecessor that plagued the 3DS?

Do note that I didn't claim THE VITA AND PSP ARE IDENTICAL TWINS but that they do share more than a passing resemblance, especially in commercials (tiny shots and quick cuts, also the device itself isn't the focus).

EDIT: And I don't think this is a problem when they get to the store, but it's the commercials that motivate them to go in the first place ("I need that!")

Zenaku

No problem, if you manage to find some free time, here it is: http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-11166863448.html

Miku: The PuchiPuku Limited edition is back up for pre-ordering, possibly for the last time before the eShop demo is released. Apparently the initial batch of the PuchiPuku ltd edition (which sold out of pre-orders) was 50k.

Theatrhythm: Possibly down to shops restricting orders, there's talk of the game selling out in various places, with it selling out on Amazon. The next shipment will be on the 25th. It goes on to mention the lower price for the DLC for the next few weeks.

Rune Factory 4: In the middle of "exploding". While pre-orders of next weeks Harvest Moon are looking good, Rune Factory got off to an incomparable rocket start immediately after pre-orders opened. It seems to be doing better (in comparison to HM) with users of online stores, possible due to its pre-order items, but it's still impressive none the less (currently 2nd on Amazons best seller list).

500K userbase vs. 5 million userbase, and previous game was out on DS? I will be surprised if the split is not 80/20 at least.

also: almost no games since the launch vs. at least two more important games released the same week (FF and Love Plus) + more important games launched since november that keep selling.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
OMG I left this thread alone for a couple of hours and now it's so HUUUUGE!
What are you guys talking about? That Nikkei rumor about softco leaving Vita for 3DS?
Did you also reported that Level5 will announce a new Little Battlers "experience" in the next Coro Coro magazine?

Miku: The PuchiPuku Limited edition is back up for pre-ordering, possibly for the last time before the eShop demo is released. Apparently the initial batch of the PuchiPuku ltd edition (which sold out of pre-orders) was 50k.

Theatrhythm: Possibly down to shops restricting orders, there's talk of the game selling out in various places, with it selling out on Amazon. The next shipment will be on the 25th. It goes on to mention the lower price for the DLC for the next few weeks.

Rune Factory 4: In the middle of "exploding". While pre-orders of next weeks Harvest Moon are looking good, Rune Factory got off to an incomparable rocket start immediately after pre-orders opened. It seems to be doing better (in comparison to HM) with users of online stores, possible due to its pre-order items, but it's still impressive none the less (currently 2nd on Amazons best seller list).
Thanks! Good news all around.

Love Rune Factory and I hope it continues to do well.

kiri

No problem, if you manage to find some free time, here it is: http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-11166863448.html

I know you didn't ask me, but since DCharlie said he's gonna be busy for a while, I thought I'd translate the Project Mirai, Theatrhythm and Vita portions for you.

EDIT: Someone already posted a few translations, here is the Vita translation.

Vita; If you use the link provided, when buying a Vita with a game at the same time, you can save 2000 yen, for a limited time only. From February 15th to March 31st. If you put them in the cart, it will automatically discounted.

also: almost no games since the launch vs. at least two more important games released the same week (FF and Love Plus) + more important games launched since november that keep selling.
Plus this is Chunsoft's 2nd ADV on Vita. I don't think the deck is stacked against that version quite as much as people are saying, it's a genuine toss up imo.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu Sales: Week 6, 2012 (Jan 30 - Feb 05)

01./00. [PS3] Soul Calibur V <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.02.02} (¥8.380) - 47.149 / NEW
02./02. [3DS] Resident Evil: Revelations <ADV> (Capcom) {2012.01.26} (¥5.990) - 40.285 / 200.860 (-75%)
03./00. [PSP] PhotoKano <SLG> (Kadokawa Games) {2012.02.02} (¥7.140) - 37.632 / NEW
04./00. [PSV] Ragnarok Odyssey <ACT> (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2012.02.02} (¥5.985) - 31.763 / NEW
05./04. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G # <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.12.10} (¥5.800) - 27.307 / 1.155.666 (-5%)
06./00. [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 Spec II <RCE> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2012.02.02} (¥4.980) - 23.152 / NEW
07./05. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 22.283 / 1.493.434 (-21%)
08./01. [PS3] Armored Core V <ACT> (From Software) {2012.01.26} (¥7.800) - 20.630 / 190.867 (-88%)
09./07. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800) - 19.685 / 1.360.725 (-14%)
10./00. [PS3] Dragon Age II <RPG> (Spike) {2012.02.02} (¥8.379) - 18.026 / NEW
11./00. [360] Soul Calibur V <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.02.02} (¥8.380) - 8.642 / NEW
12./10. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine / Dark <RPG> (Level 5) {2011.12.15} (¥5.800) - 8.460 / 385.948 (-15%)
13./09. [3DS] Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure <ACT> (Sega) {2012.01.19} (¥6.090) - 8.258 / 54.446 (-42%)
14./03. [PSV] Tales of Innocence R <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.01.26} (¥5.980) - 7.503 / 54.815 (-84%)
15./14. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (PSP the Best) <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.09.22} (¥2.990) - 6.885 / 186.090 (-2%)
16./13. [WII] Just Dance Wii <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.10.13} (¥5.800) - 6.645 / 532.367 (-6%)
17./00. [360] Monster Hunter Frontier Online: Forward .3 Premium Package <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.02.01} (¥6.090) - 6.359 / NEW
18./18. [WII] Mario Kart Wii <RCE> (Nintendo) {2008.04.10} (¥5.800) - 4.767 / 3.443.812 (-6%)
19./17. [WII] Wii Sports Resort # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2009.06.25} (¥4.800) - 4.766 / 2.803.122 (-6%)
20./15. [PS3] Warriors Orochi 3 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2011.12.22} (¥7.800) - 4.676 / 374.004 (-33%)
21./12. [WII] Wii Party # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2010.07.08} (¥4.800) - 4.423 / 2.207.679 (-40%)
22./00. [PS3] NeverDead <ACT> (Konami) {2012.02.02} (¥6.980) - 4.077 / NEW
23./16. [WII] Kirby's Return to Dream Land <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.10.27} (¥5.800) - 3.997 / 584.361 (-25%)
24./22. [3DS] Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog / Shiba / Toy Poodle & New Friends <ETC> (Nintendo) {2011.02.26} (¥4.800) - 3.968 / 475.879 (-7%)
25./24. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Definitive Edition # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2011.11.23} (¥5.040) - 3.692 / 195.122 (-10%)
26./29. [WII] Itadaki Street Wii <TBL> (Square Enix) {2011.12.01} (¥6.090) - 3.576 / 126.530 (-6%)
27./23. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2011.12.22} (¥7.980) - 3.537 / 98.561 (-14%)
28./26. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2011.12.15} (¥7.980) - 3.481 / 797.986 (-14%)
29./27. [WII] PokePark 2: Wonders Beyond <ADV> (Pokemon Co.) {2011.11.12} (¥5.800) - 3.331 / 260.190 (-18%)
30./30. [PSP] Little Battlers eXperience: Boost <RPG> (Level 5) {2011.11.23} (¥4.980) - 3.164 / 167.691 (-16%)

Top 30

PS3 - 8
WII - 8
3DS - 7
PSP - 3
360 - 2
PSV - 2

SOFTWARE
Code:
------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |
|  PS3  |      28,4% |      30,2% |       9,4% |
|  3DS  |      25,4% |      34,2% |       0,0% |
|  PSP  |      17,3% |      11,0% |      34,6% |
|  WII  |      10,6% |       8,9% |      15,0% |
|  PSV  |       7,3% |       6,6% |       0,0% |
|  NDS  |       6,2% |       4,9% |      37,5% |
|  360  |       4,6% |       4,1% |       3,1% |
|  OTH  |       0,2% |       0,1% |       0,1% |

HARDWARE
Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|  3DS  |     69.180 |     81.699 |            |    791.077 |            |   4.926.816 |
|  PS3  |     23.290 |     23.869 |     23.571 |    234.966 |    223.572 |   7.652.114 |
| PSP # |     16.558 |     16.939 |     27.180 |    202.250 |    221.849 |  18.439.358 |
|  PSV  |     14.731 |     17.106 |            |    141.008 |            |     543.802 |
|  WII  |      7.023 |      9.884 |     14.953 |    119.739 |    229.682 |  12.287.482 |
|  360  |      1.007 |      1.137 |      2.846 |      8.923 |     22.968 |   1.529.661 |
| NDS # |        817 |        883 |     29.498 |      8.795 |    335.338 |  32.845.278 |
|  PS2  |        349 |        564 |      1.419 |      3.410 |     10.411 |  21.957.701 |
|  ALL  |    132.955 |    152.081 |     99.467 |  1.510.168 |  1.043.820 | 100.182.212 |
|  DSi  |        817 |        883 |     28.318 |      8.795 |    321.783 |   8.254.974 |
|  PSP  |     16.558 |     16.939 |     27.027 |    202.250 |    211.216 |  18.278.783 |

Zenaku

Well, going just by Amazon reception, the 3DS version is the 14th 3DS game, the 78th overall, and has 2 reviews already (4 stars, both decently positive). In comparison, the Vita version is the 4th Vita game, 131st overall with no reviews.

The 3DS version has also been ranked higher than the Vita version on pre-orders for the last 1-2 months (3DS version being around 1-200th, Vita version being 2-300th. While the Vita has less games (and the Amazon reception can't be applied to every other retailer) I wouldn't be surprised to see the 3DS version sell at least twice as much as the Vita version, despite the 3DS having several other games releasing this week.

Sammy Samusu said:
Thanks! Good news all around.

Love Rune Factory and I hope it continues to do well.
Same here. Back around when Oceans released I answered an online survey and put "a lover period between friendship and marriage", so seeing the feature I wanted most added both to RF and the next HM is amazing.

The main site for RF4 should be opening soon, too.

Top Bottom