• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 6, 2012 (Feb 06 - Feb 12)

Speculative, but I wonder whether the way the 3DS launch poorly is exacerbating the negatives (particularly, the price) against the PSV.

A similar scenario played out less than a year ago and was remedied by a massive price-drop. If I was a Japanese consumer I'd be wary of buying a PSV, when I could simply wait and maybe save myself 10,000 yen in a month or two.

Chris1964 and Chris23235?

Also:

VofdU.jpg

Market saturation maybe? Plus, with the Wii U coming at the end of the year and a confirmed backward compability for Wii games, a brand new Wii might not be the most attractive console to get right now.
I wonder if Wii U launch will bump up any Wii software initially? This happened on Wii with Gamecube's Gotcha Force budget reprint suddenly entering the charts in 2007 iirc. Late GBA games like Mother 3 and (especially) Rhythm Tengoku also benefitted from DS backwards compatibility. The latter even advertised being DS compatible on the box iirc.

Yes I am coming from a distant future, and I know all hard- and software sales data, because I can look it up in my database in the year 23235. ;-)

I wonder if Wii U launch will bump up any Wii software initially? This happened on Wii with Gamecube's Gotcha Force budget reprint suddenly entering the charts in 2007 iirc. Late GBA games like Mother 3 and (especially) Rhythm Tengoku also benefitted from DS backwards compatibility. The latter even advertised being DS compatible on the box iirc.
I kinda doubt it. Wii being much more successful than GameCube, there won't be as many new people gaining Wii capability for the first time. Nor would I expect notable Wii games a year or two after U's launch, as GBA had.

Famitsu numbers of 30th-5th Garaphed.

Second 3DS RE holds on from its first week preeeetty similarly to the first.
Revelaitons

Likewise, this generation's second non-new portable Tales behaves like the first.
Innocence+PSV

I kinda doubt it. Wii being much more successful than GameCube, there won't be as many new people gaining Wii capability for the first time. Nor would I expect notable Wii games a year or two after U's launch, as GBA had.

Well, I was thinking more reprints like with Gotcha Force GC. Nintendo themselves could do with some 1st party Selects in Japan.

Well, I was thinking more reprints like with Gotcha Force GC. Nintendo themselves could do with some 1st party Selects in Japan.

I always thought Nintendo's re-release of GC titles for the Wii was due to the lack of first party titles, I think, especially after the 3DS, they will have enough Wii-U titles ready.

Yes I am coming from a distant future, and I know all hard- and software sales data, because I can look it up in my database in the year 23235. ;-)

This is an unprecedented opportunity!

Alright guys, who's with me: prediction league on Final Fantasies XV through XXV!

This is an unprecedented opportunity!

Alright guys, who's with me: prediction league on Final Fantasies XV through XXV!

Unfortunately I am not allowed to tell you, Time Police would get me, they are a little bit nervous after some guy went into the past and convinced Atari, that it's a smart idea to buy a license of this popular E.T. flick.

guek

Banned
Not surprising at all, nintendo made the most money in January

Enterbrain and Famitsu have released the January edition of their monthly revenue chart. Different from their monthly top ten software sales chart, this chart lists which publisher took the highest share of game sales revenue for the month.

For January, which covers December 26 through January 29, Nintendo was the top publisher, accounting for 23.6% of game revenue. Namco Bandai followed at 18%, with Capcom in third with 10.9%, Square Enix in fourth with 6.9% and Konami in fifth with 6.2%.

Six to ten were Tecmo Koei, From Software, Level-5, Sega and Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, in that order.

http://andriasang.com/comzzx/january_revenue/

LayLa

tumblr_lzhtzxLEzi1qzp9weo1_500.jpg

Masanobu Suzui, head of Indies Zero, is sad. Won't someone sell this man a copy of Theatrhythm Final Fantasy? Nobody thinks of the developers (;.;)

wsippel

Banned
Huh. I thought Girls' RPG was an RPG targeted towards ... little girls. I guess I was wrong.
Isn't there some overarching storyline with terrorists or crime syndicates or something, and the protagonist tries to become a famous hostess to get close to the bad guys and eventually stop them? Something weird like that. Or maybe I made that up...

Road

Guyze, Nintendo made the biggest revenue in Japan in January. How cool is that? I love Nintendo.

Enterbrain and Famitsu have released the January edition of their monthly revenue chart. Different from their monthly top ten software sales chart, this chart lists which publisher took the highest share of game sales revenue for the month.

For January, which covers December 26 through January 29, Nintendo was the top publisher, accounting for 23.6% of game revenue. Namco Bandai followed at 18%, with Capcom in third with 10.9%, Square Enix in fourth with 6.9% and Konami in fifth with 6.2%.

Six to ten were Tecmo Koei, From Software, Level-5, Sega and Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, in that order.

http://andriasang.com/comzzx/january_revenue/

Cygnus X-1

I dunno about that...

I'm just implying that Vita can remain in a sleepy mode for many months till some certain hits come out and revitalize the sales again. PSP sold most of its hardware exactly after Monster Hunter 2 and 2G especially. Do you remember how the DS was totally destroying PSP's sales at that time? But PSP kept selling. Slowly, but constantly. Sure, objectively Vita is in a worse situation - less games, worse outlook, fierce competition; but I want just to warn some of you that a system who doesn't sell well in its first year on the market, once it was considered dead and had no possibility to recover. Today it's not like that anymore and things can change even after many months of commercialization.

Sure, all this time is lost and the economical damage entirely on Sony's shoulders. But that's another story.

I'm just implying that Vita can remain in a sleepy mode for many months till some certain hits come out and revitalize the sales again. PSP sold most of its hardware exactly after Monster Hunter 2 and 2G especially. Do you remember how the DS was totally destroying PSP's sales at that time? But PSP kept selling. Slowly, but constantly. Sure, objectively Vita is in a worse situation - less games, worse outlook, fierce competition; but I want just to warn some of you that a system who doesn't sell well in its first year on the market, once it was considered dead and had no possibility to recover. Today it's not like that anymore and things can change even after many months of commercialization.

Sure, all this time is lost and the economical damage entirely on Sony's shoulders. But that's another story.

This is true and it might happen, but the problem with this situation would be, that with every month, the Vita is sleeping, the gap between Vita and 3DS is widening, up to a point, were 3rd party publishers find it to big to justify Vita games any more. On a worldwide scale, it just didn't worked out for the PSP and it remains to be seen, if the Vita can live in the same niche, the PSP survived in Japan, it was the console for the Anime and Manga fans, that bought the tons of licensed games. I am not sure these people are loyal to the Sony brand, or more willing to buy the console, were the games, they are interested in are published.

Leonsito

IIRC PSP was selling way better than DS until DS colors and DSLite happened, it's not the same situation right now.

saichi

For every PSP example, there is also a Gamecube or Dreamcast example where the sale never recovered and that one magic game never showed up.

It's true that any system might get a surprise breakout hit, but it's also true that in theory the Cubs could win the World Series. There are things that make these sorts of events more or less likely to happen.

Kazerei

Banned

Going back to your original comment, I'm just not sure the Vita has completely "bottomed out". If it stabilizes around 15k that would be alright. But I think it could get worse.

Cygnus X-1

It really wasn't just MH. I think I've thrown out the numbers before, and I don't really want to get all the numbers together now again to illustrate the point (unless there's a huge interest in the subject, then I could do it tomorrow), but basically while MHP remains the biggest success on the PSP in Japan, the franchise started booming on the PSP along with several other releases, and it can be seen that developers and publishers were already making more and more PS2 level titles for PSP during the 2005-2006 period, which coincides with when MHP was first released and started to gain popularity. It was a combined process and the other games also helped MHP, because the series didn't become super huge over night.

The general flow of more constant software helped the PSP sell, and as more people got the system they gravitated around MHP as a series. It's not like they released MHP and suddenly everyone bought a PSP on day one because they had been waiting for this game. The MH series wasn't even that popular on the PS2 in comparison. The explosion of MHP fever really only started in 2007-2008, by which time the PSP already had quite a number of ~200k+ titles.

The combination of MHP2's explosion along with having number series which were doing over 200k at the time with multiple releases over the years (Tales, Gundam, MGS) definitely triggered a much larger wave of developers to move in after that, as evidenced by the increase in software offerings each year moving forward from 2007. By then, it is as you said, the natural choice, but it didn't get there entirely on MHP alone.

Fair enough, but I'm not entirely convinced you know. Here's the reasons:

At launch (2004), the best selling game on PSP was Hot Shot Golf, which sold 400k. Second best selling game was Dynasty Warriors with 290k and Ridge Racers with 270k. Nothing very significant, since there are launch figures. Let's move to the next year.

2005: best selling game was Monster Hunter Portable with 670k. Second best selling game was Nou Ryoku Trainer Portable (Sega) with 300k. Third was.... Hot Shot Golf the Best with 260k. WSWE9 follows at 240k and Tales of Eternia at 190k. Clearly Monster Hunter already makes the part of the lion here. Nou Ryoku trainer sold a lot following Brain Training on DS and Tales of was sure not a significant gap filler as you states imo. Let's move anyway to 2006.

2006: Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops 350k. Monster Hunter Portable THE BEST......290k! Nice showing of MGS:pO, but the real surprise here, again, is Monster Hunter: selling almost the half of the first release! SD Gundam then 290k and Tales of the World 210k. Not really a nice performance. Again, the lion here remains monster hunter, since it's the only performance way better than foresaw.

2007: Monster Hunter Portable 2nd 1'700'000. Wow. This is something crazy. Crisis Core FF VII 800k. MGS: portable ops Plus 350k.

Bottom line is that PSP was revitalized essentially by Monster Hunter. About the other franchises, the only thing we can say is that maybe they prevented the handheld to totally die, but I wouldn't affirm they contribute to PSP's success. Personally at that time, the additional functions of PSP (video, mp3 player, etc) were considered the main reason people were "buying the system without buying games". No. Monster Hunter did it entirely and these numbers show that. The differences are too huge and one can affirm that already there was something different even when the first Monster Hunter launched and persisted with the release the best. It was the right game for the right platform with the right audience. Crazy hype and well orchestrated ads made the rest. But the other games....they sold in line with expectations or even less than foresaw and weren't that significant.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Isn't there some overarching storyline with terrorists or crime syndicates or something, and the protagonist tries to become a famous hostess to get close to the bad guys and eventually stop them? Something weird like that. Or maybe I made that up...

I do remember a hostess bar setting where the girls interact with famous characters like Lupin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8lU_6Kc2VY

It's kinda weird since my first impression was that it was aimed at young girls indeed.

hatchx

Banned

Well DQX springs to mind. I hope they can get the Wii U version for launch though, that'd be huge.

Slowly, but constantly. Sure, objectively Vita is in a worse situation - less games, worse outlook, fierce competition; but I want just to warn some of you that a system who doesn't sell well in its first year on the market, once it was considered dead and had no possibility to recover. Today it's not like that anymore and things can change even after many months of commercialization.

Third parties weren't willing to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt back when 3DS was selling poorly (but still better than Vita is now); why would they be more lenient towards Vita?

hatchx

Banned
I don't think DQX will be all that huge. Especially given it'll likely launch on Wii first.

Well if it is subscription based, it won't need to be 'huge' in order to be successful.

I have no interest in the Wii version, I doubt it'll even get released outside of Japan. The Wii U version, with HD graphics and tablet interface....damn that is a reason to be excited for the first MMORPG on a Nintendo system.

Top Bottom