• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2012 (Feb 20 - Feb 26)

guek

Banned
An early Wii HD would create another Wii situation where the next-gen system is once again underpowered, unless it was somehow an extension of the Wii or has a very short life cycle, where they could create the true next-gen being Wii 3 or whatever. But its too late for that now, and I doubt it would have sold much.

Yeah that's a good point too

3DS and to an extent Wii U development definitely had an impact on Wii software development, but I think the driving factor is the fact that creating software for Wii at this point won't do much in terms of marketshare, profitability or anything positive for Nintendo anyway, its fate was sealed much earlier than people would think, which gives more reason for Nintendo to prevent that for the 3DS and Wii U. Kid Icarus could've easily been for Wii, same as Pilot Wings Resort.

That is why I expect Wii-U to have a very very strong launch, they're going to push it hard from the get-go. New breakthrough IPs aren't guaranteed and are hard to come by, u can't depend on them. Nintendo have the strongest first party IP's and early adopters are gonna be attracted to IPs they're familiar with. Third parties desire a large userbase for there to be some kind of guaranteed fanbase they can sell to, Nintendo games are system sellers, they don't need to wait for the userbase to be large for their games to sell. They would be stupid to not exploit it to the fullest extent. We don't live in an age where a weak launch line-up is exusable anymore, not unless you want to have the chance to fail. Its not like the PS2 > HD gen transition where support for the PS2 dried up pretty quickly, there's much more competition this time round, people aren't jumping to the next-gen as quick as they use to, they need a reason to make the jump. If early next-gen games are passable on 360/HD with a downgrade in graphics, people will stick to them unless the next-gen systems offer something compelling enough to make them invest in them, HD systems didn't wow the masses that much, and next-gen systems aren't going to wow them either, especially when the difference won't be as substantial as the PS2 > HD era.

Regarding PSV, I think its strong enough to stand on its own legs, but the Vita's userbase is so low that Sega would be seriously having second thoughts about it. They wouldn't want to lose what they've built up, even if much of it was due to Monster Hunter. And since its on the 3DS now, I think its obvious what Sega should do.

Metallix87

Considering PSV for PSV ( :D ) as a certainty, there are two things which can happen:

1) The lack of Monster Hunter can give to the game a much more important value, especially if they try this time to make some improvements. And this value could translate in a deeper impact to the market. I think the lack of a big Square Enix offer on PS3 is what has caused good numbers for some mid / low tier RPG series on the platform, and the outstanding performance of Xillia on PS3.

Deeper impact doesn't mean only better sales, something can't happen phisically if Vita maintains this weekly sales rate, or even if it improves, at least just after the release. Deeper impact means more attractiveness to the audience, people being attracted so much by the game to buy the platform

2) The lack of Monster Hunter can lower its importance, since on PSP...PSP basically became so big due to the MH audience, and this audience is moving to 3DS right now, seeing how MH3G is selling constantly, and in some weeks it's selling even better than the MONSTER ( aka Mario Kart 7 ).

Obviously, right now 3DS hasn't ALL the Monster Hunter audience, absolutely...but PSV's impact could be affected by the presence of what is its...father, can we say something like that? on another platform. Especially if Vita still doesn't demonstrate to be able to move a good amount of software generally when the game will be released.

Vita so far hasn't had a good support in terms of big impact games, with just one mid / mid-big game in Hot Shots Golf and Dynasy Warriors as a possible mid one, and a plethora of little games and a few mid-low ones, and it has a very low install base, but its software situation is still worrying right now, IMHO.

Don't the releases of Lord of Apocalypse and Ragnarok Odyssey, followed by their inability to spark large sales for Vita, point towards the latter?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Wii also died in Japan because third parties never really broke into that market.

The wii would have gotten and would be getting a lot of PSP ports if there was a market for these games.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The decision to go on Vita for this game likely came much before the release of Vita (or 3DS' price cuts for that matter). Seriously doubt anyone thought Capcom was going to pretty much bet everything on 3DS at that point, esp. considering the series exploded on the PSP. Much like ROdyssey I believe this to be the case of a follower title that missed a turn that the leading title made.

Will other MH follower titles take the same path? Maybe if they're already being developed, but I'd be surprised if any projects being started hereonafter deliberately go in to a smaller-userbase hardware that lacks the title they were leeching onto.

Well yes, I think that if they announce PSV for PSV next week, this game development started several months ago.
But I also think that Sega can develop another episode for 3ds for next year. PS wasn't PSP esclusive neither DS exclusive, so I don't see any real reason for Sega to miss the opportunity to spread again the brand on both portable platforms (DS one performed not so weel compared to the PSP ones, but in my opinion performed well in any case - +200K)

Instead about other "spontaneous" projects on PSV that could be deleted because of the MH shift, I think that we will have to wait until TGS, at least, to understand if there is this possibility or not (also including PS3: the impression noww is that due to very solid software performance of PS3 during this last few months, some softco could also shift from PSV to at least multiplatfrom development between PSV and PS3 in order to hit more target with little effort due to PSV and PS3 HW similarities)

Kenka

[3DS] Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai - 110.000
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam UC - 80.000
[PS3] Street Fighter X Tekken - 71.000
[3DS] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D - 32.500
[3DS] Girls RPG: Cinderella Life - 36.000

I hope I won't be last: twice in a year would seppuku-level of shame.

3DS and to an extent Wii U development definitely had an impact on Wii software development, but I think the driving factor is the fact that creating software for Wii at this point won't do much in terms of marketshare, profitability or anything positive for Nintendo anyway, its fate was sealed much earlier than people would think, which gives more reason for Nintendo to prevent that for the 3DS and Wii U. Kid Icarus could've easily been for Wii, same as Pilot Wings Resort.

It is also true that 2011 saw some unexpected success in Japan, from both Nintendo and third parties, and some predictable but still big:
-GoldenEye 007: 82,564
-Inazuma Eleven Strikers + Inazuma Eleven Strikers 2012 Xtreme: 216,058 + 119,115
-Rhythm Heaven Wii: 661,532
-Family Fishing: 72,355
-Epic Mickey: 59,500
-Dragon Quest 25th Anniversary: Famicom & Super Famicom Dragon Quest I-II-III: 387,114
-Just Dance Wii: 545,742
-Go Vacation: 241,862
-Kirby's Return to Dream Land: 591,846
-Momotarou Dentetsu 2010 (BEST/Minna no Susume Selection): 133,388

Erethian

Don't the releases of Lord of Apocalypse and Ragnarok Odyssey, followed by their inability to spark large sales for Vita, point towards the latter?

Lord of Apocalypse did even worse on PSP than it did on Vita, so the only thing that can be read into its sales is that Lord of Arcana seriously poisoned the well for that series.

Alternatively, that having your local multiplayer focused game split over multiple platforms, that can't play with one another, is a terrible idea.

It is also true that 2011 saw some unexpected success in Japan, from both Nintendo and third parties, and some predictable but still big:
-GoldenEye 007: 82,564
-Inazuma Eleven Strikers + Inazuma Eleven Strikers 2012 Xtreme: 216,058 + 119,115
-Rhythm Heaven Wii: 661,532
-Family Fishing: 72,355
-Epic Mickey: 59,500
-Dragon Quest 25th Anniversary: Famicom & Super Famicom Dragon Quest I-II-III: 387,114
-Just Dance Wii: 545,742
-Go Vacation: 241,862
-Kirby's Return to Dream Land: 591,846

-Momotarou Dentetsu 2010 (BEST/Minna no Susume Selection): 133,388
These three done very well, Just Dance especially was a great move by Nintendo. I think Nintendo should make a new Just Dance type of game, or get UBIsoft to make one for Wii-U's launch.

I mean relatively speaking - looking at the graphs posted - it managed to get to 1.2 million in 20 weeks. The PSV looks like it will struggle to get much more than halfway there.

Curious what sort of software kept it from sub-10K-ing like the Vita looks imminently set to do.

I think part of the better sales was the better staten of the japanese economy in general and the better state of the video games market in japan in specific. The 3DS is selling right now more or less what the DS sold in 2005 (if the momentum can be maintained has to be seen), but the rest of the market is down from what it was.
I didn't look up the numbers, but I am sure if you compare 2005 and 2011 YTD numbers for software and for hardware are down.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Predictions

[3DS] Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai - 123.456
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam UC - 43.210
[PS3] Street Fighter X Tekken - 45.678
[3DS] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D - 21.098
[3DS] Girls RPG: Cinderella Life - 12.345

I mean relatively speaking - looking at the graphs posted - it managed to get to 1.2 million in 20 weeks. The PSV looks like it will struggle to get much more than halfway there.

Curious what sort of software kept it from sub-10K-ing like the Vita looks imminently set to do.
During the early days, I think "Hot high tech handheld from the extremely dominant home console maker" was pretty powerful, but the truth behind the statement did mean gaming experiences you wouldn't find on GBA or DS. From the early games, Hot Shots Golf, Ridge Racer, and Dynasty Warriors were the big deals. All already available for Vita, too, but it's not such a big deal anymore that a handheld can handle them competently.
BishopLamont said:
These three done very well, Just Dance especially was a great move by Nintendo. I think Nintendo should make a new Just Dance type of game, or get UBIsoft to make one for Wii-U's launch.
Heh. Try to STOP Ubisoft from making a bunch of sequels to anything halfway successful. I know the Japanese localization was pretty extensive, though; not sure how much of that was Ubisoft and how much was Nintendo.

frostbyte

Others have already stated this but I'd like to reiterate the PSP came off the back of the hugely successful PS2. (Almost) everyone had a PS2 and hype was palpable for the PSP. Not to mention the PSP produced graphics unseen on a handheld. Nowadays, the Vita isn't as groundbreaking when compared to the 3DS, which is inferior but the gulf isn't as large as DS to PSP.

Also, the promise of certain software such as Devil May Cry PSP, GTA, and FF7: Crisis Core kept sales going. Capcom's early support was also very strong with many ports like Darkstalkers and Megaman Powered Up.

Spiegel

DS was 15000Y and PSP started at ~20000Y. Now 3DS is 15000Y and Vita starts at 24990Y + a year late + no significant games on the horizon

Mr Swine

Banned
DS was 15000Y and PSP started at ~20000Y. Now 3DS is 15000Y and Vita starts at 24990Y + a year late + no significant games on the horizon

And when those significant games come out then the 3DS has been out for around 1.5 - 2 years on the market

The decision to go on Vita for this game likely came much before the release of Vita (or 3DS' price cuts for that matter). Seriously doubt anyone thought Capcom was going to pretty much bet everything on 3DS at that point, esp. considering the series exploded on the PSP. Much like ROdyssey I believe this to be the case of a follower title that missed a turn that the leading title made.

Will other MH follower titles take the same path? Maybe if they're already being developed, but I'd be surprised if any projects being started hereonafter deliberately go in to a smaller-userbase hardware that lacks the title they were leeching onto.
The big two are Phantasy Star and God Eater. Sega from all indications went full steam ahead on Vita, turning PSP3 into PSV, and we'll have to see how that works out for them. Namco's playing it safer (and smarter) by keeping GE2 on PSP.

My guess is GE3 will follow the market maker and be a 3DS game while PSO will move ahead on both systems in some form.

magash

That won't be a big issue if there actually are significant games. The question is... will there ever be?

This is the main issue...software drives hardware and with the 3Ds's low cost (relative to the PSV) there is no business reason why 3rd party developers will invest in "big" games.

This is the main issue...software drives hardware and with the 3Ds's low cost (relative to the PSV) there is no business reason why 3rd party developers will invest in "big" games.

That's a bit of an oversimplistic view of things, by that logic there is never a business reason to invest in big games on any new platform.

Erethian

There are going to be several reasons why games are developed for the Vita.

Decision was made before the launch of the system, the game is a port of a console title (which also relates to games that are deemed to not be technically feasible on the 3DS), or it's from a genre or franchise that targets a demographic more suited to the Vita. That last one can also be influenced by games in the same genre, or even the same franchise, failing to meet expectations on the 3DS.

Though off the top of my head I can't think of any games that fall into that category. Probably the most important one is that MH3G is doing very well, and showing the sort of legs the series was known for on PSP. Another would be something like Samurai Chronicles doing better on 3DS than the Vita Musou title did.

That's a bit of an oversimplistic view of things, by that logic there is never a business reason to invest in big games on any new platform.

Sure there are, if a platform is the assumed/likely market leader or starts selling well right off the bat with good potential for future growth there's incentive to develop upfront even with a smaller userbase. Neither is really in effect for Vita though.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
[3DS] Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai - 119.876
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam UC - 44.321
[PS3] Street Fighter X Tekken - 65.432
[3DS] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D - 67.890
[3DS] Girls RPG: Cinderella Life - 14.321

Taking a risk with MGS3D and SFxT but the former has such a dedicated fanbase where I can see it doing at least 70% of the LTD first week and I don't think the game's potential is less than 90k LTD even if the HD release screwed things up. I'm probably wrong tho :p

On top of that we have to take into account the severe financial crisis spreading around pretty everywhere, and at the same time the huge competition in top-range tech gadgets: willy-nilly all Apple products are all the rage right now, and at the moment I think it's quite difficult for anyone to pose a serious threat to iPad/iPhone's dominion in that price range products, what with new iPad model to launch shortly that may divert attention from the Vita(at least for those tech-whores who can afford Apple's prices obviously).

Another would be something like Samurai Chronicles doing better on 3DS than the Vita Musou title did.
This is doubly significant since Samurai Warriors is also the weaker series sales wise versus Dynasty Warriors. Will be interesting to see how DWVS does in April, it's possible the higher initial sales were a launch fluke.

This is doubly significant since Samurai Warriors is also the weaker series sales wise versus Dynasty Warriors. Will be interesting to see how DWVS does in April, it's possible the higher initial sales were a launch fluke.
In this case SW didn't really do wonders, rather DW just bombed. Entirely due to Vita's weak sales.

Heh. Try to STOP Ubisoft from making a bunch of sequels to anything halfway successful. I know the Japanese localization was pretty extensive, though; not sure how much of that was Ubisoft and how much was Nintendo.
99% Nintendo's doing for sure.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

PSV releases at first 11 weeks: 29 with 20 at launch

PSP releases at first 11 weeks: 24 with 6 at launch

Besides everything else PSP was helped also from this.

Metallix87

In this case SW didn't really do wonders, rather DW just bombed. Entirely due to Vita's weak sales.

Weren't Vita's sales high enough, though, for the game not to bomb? Is it possible the Musou audience picked 3DS over Vita for some reason? And, if so, doesn't that mean Dyntasy Warriors Vs on 3DS could prove to be a big hit?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
What happened to God Eater 2? It's been awhile since I last heard about that game.

Maybe it's going through some changes?

Yea, probably. The last time it was talked about, a producer mentioned that the staff were working to adjust and refine the visuals/artsyle to be closer to the artwork, or something to that effect.

They could also be working on a Vita version. or maybe even that rumored 3DS version. Who knows. They don't say much about it on the Community blog.

Truth101

Banned
No Vita software has sold over 100k yet right? I wonder if FFX will even break the 300k barrier.

It's an HD remaster, of a single game. In name it sounds like a big "exclusive" to have, but in reality there is a lot holding it back. Especially since it is a dual PSV/PS3 release.

Mr Swine

Banned
It's an HD remaster, of a single game. In name it sounds like a big "exclusive" to have, but in reality there is a lot holding it back. Especially since it is a dual PSV/PS3 release.

Oh I forgot about that, well then I honestly don't know if there is a exclusive game big enough (other than MonHun which is already on 3DS)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
How did Ico/SOTC HD do? Are there any other notable HD remaster in Japan other than this and MGS?

Monster Hunter Freedom 3 HD Ver.
Metal Gear Solid HD Edition #
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Edition #
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Resident Evil: Revival Selection
God of War: Origins Collection
Under Defeat HD #

Boney

Banned
Monster Hunter Freedom 3 HD Ver.
Metal Gear Solid HD Edition #
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Edition #
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Resident Evil: Revival Selection
God of War: Origins Collection
Under Defeat HD #

Couldn't find Under Defeat though. And of course we don't know what kind of a remaster FFX will actually be.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, the hell is going on with Theatrhythm.
On Amazon, the new shipment was targeted on 1st of March, then, after going in top 5 again and being sold by other stores, the shipment has been postponed on 4th. Now, after the same rise happened again, and again with copies sold from other stores and not Amazon, the new shipment is set for 11st March!!!

Square, the hell is going on! And how's the situation on real stores, right now. Did it improve finally, or Amazon is a good reflection of Square's inability to put a good amount of some copies out for now? This is something I've rarely seen recently.

Thanks to the people who gave such informative answers to my query.

Hopefully the webcast will alleviate the skepticism a bit (for both developers and the buying public) and help it become a viable long term platform.

muu

On Amazon, the new shipment was targeted on 1st of March, then, after going in top 5 again and being sold by other stores, the shipment has been postponed on 4th. Now, after the same rise happened again, and again with copies sold from other stores and not Amazon, the new shipment is set for 11st March!!!

Square, the hell is going on! And how's the situation on real stores, right now. Did it improve finally, or Amazon is a good reflection of Square's inability to put a good amount of some copies out for now? This is something I've rarely seen recently.

just means that they sold allotted stock for those dates. Have to wonder how retail stores are doing, but if Yodobashi's product stock page is any indication (stores show up only if items are in stock) stores haven't been able to keep the thing in stock for too long.

just means that they sold allotted stock for those dates. Have to wonder how retail stores are doing, but if Yodobashi's product stock page is any indication (stores show up only if items are in stock) stores haven't been able to keep the thing in stock for too long.

Wonder how long T:FF will be supply locked, it seems like it'll continue to have legs every time a new shipment comes in.

duckroll

Does someone know how well Granstream Saga sold in Japan?

Really really old Famitsu numbers:

First week - 26,657
Last known LTD as of third week (#30 on the Top30 of that week) - 42,314

#100 of the Top100 of 1997 is 135,017 , and Grandstream Saga didn't make it in, so it sold less than 135k.

Quintent used to give out shipment figures for their games on their site, for comparison with the Creation trilogy (which The Granstream Saga is unofficially linked to);

Soul Blader / Soul Blazer
JP: 200,000
NA: 70,000
EU: 25,000

Gaia Gensoki / Illusion of Gaia / Illusion of Time
NA: 300,000
EU: 150,000

Tenchi Sozo / Terranigma
EU: not given

Can't wait for the inevitable overshipped Theatrhythm 2.

LOCK

Nintendo left Wii die this year but it still has some games coming.

Mario Party 9
Fatal Frame
Dragon Quest X

Good guesses are the new Playmaker and maybe a new Taiko and Just Dance.

They really need a major price drop in Japan. But seeing how the Yen is still high, that is their saving grace against foreign currencies. We should see one with DQX at least.

Top Bottom