• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2012 (Feb 20 - Feb 26)

Celine

Really really old Famitsu numbers:

First week - 26,657
Last known LTD as of third week (#30 on the Top30 of that week) - 42,314

#100 of the Top100 of 1997 is 135,017 , and Grandstream Saga didn't make it in, so it sold less than 135k.
Thank you, much appreciated.

Quintent used to give out shipment figures for their games on their site, for comparison with the Creation trilogy (which The Granstream Saga is unofficially linked to);

Soul Blader / Soul Blazer
JP: 200,000
NA: 70,000
EU: 25,000

Gaia Gensoki / Illusion of Gaia / Illusion of Time
NA: 300,000
EU: 150,000

Tenchi Sozo / Terranigma
EU: not given
Yeah, that's why I asked.

Nintendo involvement in marketing IoG in Ameria/Europe sure helped.
IoG outshipped famous Squre RPGs like Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy IV or Chrono Trigger in western markets.

Weren't Vita's sales high enough, though, for the game not to bomb? Is it possible the Musou audience picked 3DS over Vita for some reason? And, if so, doesn't that mean Dyntasy Warriors Vs on 3DS could prove to be a big hit?
I think musou games rely on a big userbase, its not a system seller, rather people who already own the system would want to buy it. I don't think it'll sell systems and even if it did, I don't think people will buy the system at a high price, rather if its cheap enough they'll buy it for the game with other games in mind. Being a part of the a system launch means any additional hardware will sell additional copies of the game, its not just this game but all games that are a part of a system launches get affected in the same way. I don't think its a outright failure, as I said, low Vita sales definitely had an impact on it.

I think if 3DS or Vita had price parity musou fans would pick the Vita, but thats not reality. As lunch mentioned, SW is also a smaller game than DW. DW VS probably helped musou fans sway towards the 3DS also.

On another related note, long gone are the days where fans buy systems in hope for games that are in the far future, what matters the most is what games are out now and whats coming out in the immediate future. PS3 games like Trico, FFXIII/Versus and GT probably has helped this become reality, the slim came out before these games were out. They can buy a system when the games they want are out or is going to come out soon, and probably at a lower price. Its why MH had such an immediate effect on the 3DS and why the whole line up of the 3DS is helping the system stabilize at a high range, there is literally no need to buy a Vita right now.

Quintent used to give out shipment figures for their games on their site, for comparison with the Creation trilogy (which The Granstream Saga is unofficially linked to);

Tenchi Sozo / Terranigma
Cool, thanks for this data. :)

Tenchi Sozo / Terranigma
Consistency.

Some additional Quintet shipment data:

ActRaiser
JP: 400,000
NA: 180,000
EU: 40,000

ActRaiser 2
JP: 40,000
NA: 100,000
EU: 40,000

Robotrek (Slapstick)
JP: 45,000
NA: 20,000

Nibel

So...585k in its first week.

UCgN7.gif

Incredible if true!

extralite

If it's THEATRHYTHM Dragon Quest, I wouldn't say so :D

That's already out and it's called Band Brothers. If your DS is online that is. Lots of renditions of classic DQ tunes on there, rivals any pop act like SMAP or Utada Hikaru.

Of course it's not exactly the same thing but impressive nonetheless. Not many FF tunes on Band Brothers user arranged downloads though.

le.phat

This is the main issue...software drives hardware and with the 3Ds's low cost (relative to the PSV) there is no business reason why 3rd party developers will invest in "big" games.

Like there wern't any business reasons for 3rd party developers to invest in big psp games with the DS around. And yet it happened.

So One Piece Musou could end up being the second biggest Japanese opening week on the PS3?

(I watch it but) I had no idea the show was so popular.

So One Piece Musou could end up being the second biggest Japanese opening week on the PS3?

(I watch it but) I had no idea the show was so popular.

Isn't One Piece selling at like 400% of its closest manga competitor (Naruto I think)? Sankakucomplex posted some numbers before, but I'm at work, and you never know who is watching.

Isn't One Piece selling at like 400% of its closest manga competitor (Naruto I think)? Sankakucomplex posted some numbers before, but I'm at work, and you never know who is watching.
Had a google, and wow. Even more than that.

In 2011 it sold over 5.5x Naruto.

Seems to have been growing over the years too - 2009, 14M; 2010, 32M; 2011, 38M.

That's a lucrative license.

duckroll

One Piece is the most popular comic in Japan for the last decade or so. The manga keeps breaking new sales records each year, as the storyline moves closer to the eventual conclusion. It's very, very, very popular, and not just with kids.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
One Piece is the most popular comic in Japan for the last decade or so. The manga keeps breaking new sales records each year, as the storyline moves closer to the eventual conclusion. It's very, very, very popular, and not just with kids.

As someone who only started enjoying the franchise this year after a decade of prejudice, I stand by the opinion that such success isn't unwarranted.

I'm really looking forward to this game, too. It's interesting visually, and in terms of gameplay it seems to nail the feeling of the manga and the anime.

As someone who only started enjoying the franchise this year after a decade of prejudice, I can guarantee that the success isn't unwarranted.
Likewise. (I originally really didn't like the artstyle, but it's grown on me.)

Maybe One Piece can save the Vita, lol.

P.S. Not really seeing the similarities to Dragon Ball, but I've not really watched or read the latter.

duckroll

The only similarities between One Piece and Dragonball is that Dragonball was also serialized in Shounen Jump, the most popular Japanese comic magazine for kids.

Like there wern't any business reasons for 3rd party developers to invest in big psp games with the DS around. And yet it happened.

Actually, there was a reason - the PSP could do games the DS simply couldn't pull off. Hence developers who did stuff on the PSP that the DS couldn't replicate could find a unique market on the system.

(I am talking about Monster Hunter.)

Brazil

The only similarities between One Piece and Dragonball is that Dragonball was also serialized in Shounen Jump, the most popular Japanese comic magazine for kids.

Well, One Piece is heavily-Dragon Ball inspired, as Oda himself has admitted before. Luffy's even based on the same legend as Goku.

Brazil

Is Luffy really inspired by Journey to the West? Seems kinda odd to me, since I'm familiar with that story but I don't really see any similarities to One Piece. But if Oda says so...

Oh, I wasn't quoting Oda when I mentioned the legend. I'm not sure if he has touched the subject.

The legend reference is my own interpretation, but I may be wrong. His name's even Monkey, though.

Takao

Banned

Oda's a pretty huge Dragon Ball fan to the point where he was a little starstruck in an interview both Toriyama and he did for the release of Cross Epoch, the Dragon Ball x One Piece crossover.

The comics are great. The show... eh, not so much. Still surprised by these numbers, how were sales for other OP games?

Luffy is an alien?!

God, DBZ was so stupid. Retconned the whole original plot in the most ridiculous ways. I was not surprised by the Toriyama interview in which he admitted that he just made shit up without properly thinking it through.

Anyway, Luffy is called monkey, so I guess that's the reference or something?

VAPitts

if i'm not mistaken, Oda used to be a colleage of Toriyama. so the art style of OP is def inspired by Toriyama's. also Luffy has similarities to Goku with his voracious appetite, fun loving nature, as well as being dimwitted. if u noticed in the EL arc (Enies Lobby), he did Goku's ritual leg and arm stretching b4 he (Luffy) fought.

I think if 3DS or Vita had price parity musou fans would pick the Vita, but thats not reality. As lunch mentioned, SW is also a smaller game than DW. DW VS probably helped musou fans sway towards the 3DS also.
I think it's also worth pointing out that when SWC sold it's ~150k or whatever, 3DS was the same price as Vita is now.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think it's also worth pointing out that when SWC sold it's ~150k or whatever, 3DS was the same price as Vita is now.

Yes.
But SW 3DS sales could be also "pumped" by being a launch title.
That said, also DW Vita was a launch title, so...
Let's say that I'm curious about sales of next DW on 3DS to verify the reaction: if it will end selling well, we can say that 3DS was able to achieve at least the goal to shift part of Koei attention for Mosou games also on Nintendo portables.

About One Piece: it will destroy any Mosou game of the recent past years, and it will be the second best selling title on PS3 and the third best selling third party title on for home console market of the entire generation!!!

Takao

Banned
The comics are great. The show... eh, not so much. Still surprised by these numbers, how were sales for other OP games?

God, DBZ was so stupid. Retconned the whole original plot in the most ridiculous ways. I was not surprised by the Toriyama interview in which he admitted that he just made shit up without properly thinking it through.

Goku's other worldly beingness was hinted at in Muscle Tower bro:

38eNZ.jpg

Not their fault you didn't pay attention.

This was an anime only thing Toei did years before Toriyama dropped the bomb that Goku was actually an alien. Who knew Toei would be right?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

So really they just don't care much for the Vita, which isn't surprising considering it's present overall sales and software sales. There seems to be some illusion that certain genre's do better on Sony systems which I feel quite frankly is false. Games and marketing is all that really matters, it's a silly notion to think of platform loyalty like that, it may give a slight edge but that's about it, it won't be anything significant.

So really they just don't care much for the Vita, which isn't surprising considering it's present overall sales and software sales. There seems to be some illusion that certain genre's do better on Sony systems which I feel quite frankly is false. Games and marketing is all that really matters, it's a silly notion to think of platform loyalty like that, it may give a slight edge but that's about it, it won't be anything significant.

How many copies did Last Story sell in Japan? Xenoblade?

Or differently: I don't think platform should matter, however certain users flow towards a certain console. With great simplification: Wii - kids, X360 - creepy basement Otaku and USA lovers. Publishers will release their games accordingly - more games for kids will end up on Wii, more hardcore games and niche offerings will end up on X360. Which is exactly what happened.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Or differently: I don't think platform should matter, however certain users flow towards a certain console. With great simplification: Wii - kids, X360 - creepy basement Otaku and USA lovers. Publishers will release their games accordingly - more games for kids will end up on Wii, more hardcore games and niche offerings will end up on X360. Which is exactly what happened.

Your missing my point, I'm talking generation wise, hence why I said games are important a platform known to be popular with a genre of games will likely sell more that specific type of game than a platform that doesn't, which is common sense. That is however not true with it's successor, if a competitor has those same popular set of games and said console is simply generally more attractive the majority of people will jump ship no questions asked. Hence why i said platform loyalty for a genre of games is a silly notion. It's entirely dependent on the games that specific platform gets, not that games it's predecessor got.

When the PS4 comes iout, it won't autmoatically be the home for JRP's like the PS3 was if the Wii U is more appealling it'll lose it it's as simple as that.

Truth101

Banned

Xenoblade - 141,059
The Last Story - 157,359

Wii was a special case, one that both Nintendo and 3rd parties let the market down with. It's core pushes (3rd parties in 2009, 1st party RPGs in 2010/2011) were just too little and too late to make an impact. 3DS is already proving to be a much different situation with robust core content out the gates, as is Vita for Sony being the weakest PlayStation debut yet.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Neh it's more simply the animal he shares and many members of his family share traits with animal wise. The more important part reference wise in the story is the letter d, Monkey D Luffy, which implies the fact he holds the will of D like all members of his family as well as Gol D Roger the previous pirate king and various other members of the cast like Portagaz D Ace etc. They all share the trait of honestly smiling when faced with their iminent death, Luffy's specific brand is that he seems to honestly look forward to it. The will of D itself is a reference to an ancient civilaisation that went to war with the ancestors current world leaders and lost, with their existence being practically erased.

I think it's still just above PS3

Neh it's on par with currently and looking worse, as since the PS3 seemed to have been selling consistently the Vita's sales are still dropping.

You remind me of doicare.

Top Bottom