• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2012 (Feb 20 - Feb 26)

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Yeah. Best graphics in series history, allows customization of the town and your character, both male and female options, and basically a "best of" in terms of features.

Harvest Moon games usually take like a full year to get localized but there's basically no doubt that this one will be.

It'll definitely be released in the West. It'll probably only reach Europe in mid-to-late 2013, though.

Okay good to hear. I've never actually played a Harvest Moon game, but I'm looking to play one and this looks and sounds pretty good. If I were to play one Rune Factory game would you suggest 3?

Damn, you guys ain't kidding!

Hey did you guys know the PS3 is dominating the Wii in Japan?

I don't participate much in these threads but I read them all the time. With NPD becoming a joke, you don't have many choices for good sales-age talk these days! I do find these threads refreshing in that they tend to avoid most of the console wars bullshit though.

I'd participate more but I don't know much of the Japanese market so I'd rather read what you guys have to say :p

I don't participate much in these threads but I read them all the time. With NPD becoming a joke, you don't have many choices for good sales-age talk these days! I do find these threads refreshing in that they tend to avoid most of the console wars bullshit though.

I'd participate more but I don't know much of the Japanese market so I'd rather read what you guys have to say :p

Same.
I'll throw in my two cents from time to time, but I do more reading than actual posting.

VAPitts

i'm kinda late but did someone suggest Naruto Musou? yeah i know there's one similar for the PSP but i mean a straight Great Shinobi War, RTS level recon (lol i wish), billions of kunai and shurikens, massive elmental ninjutsu, hyper confusion genjutsu, AAA grade taijustu Naruto Musou. *out of breathe*

Ratrat

Why are people cheering the success of what's showing to be a laughably flawed and lazy game that fans are hating?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Okay good to hear. I've never actually played a Harvest Moon game, but I'm looking to play one and this looks and sounds pretty good. If I were to play one Rune Factory game would you suggest 3?

I'd probably wait for RF4 too, or pick up RF2.

muu

Why are people cheering the success of what's showing to be a laughably flawed and lazy game that fans are hating?

Good sales are good sales. A bad rap on the game itself will surface itself in the form of bad legs and possibly reduced sales of sequels, but that'd be another interesting point of analysis in the future.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It'll definitely be released in the West. It'll probably only reach Europe in mid-to-late 2013, though.

More like March 2013 for US, sometime in 2014 or 2015 in Europe. Natsume takes about a year to release HM games and Rising Star usually takes another year to release the PAL version.

squall23

I personally feel that anime and manga franchises just don't feel as good with Musou. History and "reality" works with Musou, but anime and manga should be Basara instead.

Takao

Banned
More like March 2013 for US, sometime in 2014 or 2015 in Europe. Natsume takes about a year to release HM games and Rising Star usually takes another year to release the PAL version.

I was going to make a joke about how many years it takes Natsume to localize Medabots games in North America but then I just got deeply saddened. :(

So One Piece Musou could end up being the second biggest Japanese opening week on the PS3?

(I watch it but) I had no idea the show was so popular.

When I went to Japan 6 months ago, it was ALL about One Piece. In all the shops. Fast food chains had One Piece stuff. A lot of ufo-catcher machines had One Piece stuff. Full of t-shirt souvenir shops with One Piece drawings.

Damn, we went to Tokyo Tower and we saw official Tokyo Tower merchandising... with One Piece characters.

donny2112

neogaf simply wasn't as popular for the first year or so it was around.

GAF was recreated in June 2004. It had existed for a few years before that. From my personal vantage point, I think the NPD numbers were a big reason for the growth in popularity, but even after that went away, NeoGAF had reached a critical mass and reputation for fast, vetted news and pretty decent population in terms of behavior (compared to other boards) kept it being very popular. In other words, Sales is a big part of the GAF DNA, from my perspective. That perspective may be somewhat skewed considering I mainly just pay attention to the Sales-related threads, though. :p

GAF was recreated in June 2004. It had existed for a few years before that. From my personal vantage point, I think the NPD numbers were a big reason for the growth in popularity, but even after that went away, NeoGAF had reached a critical mass and reputation for fast, vetted news and pretty decent population in terms of behavior (compared to other boards) kept it being very popular. In other words, Sales is a big part of the GAF DNA, from my perspective. That perspective may be somewhat skewed considering I mainly just pay attention to the Sales-related threads, though. :p

I went back and found some old NPD threads from 2004/5.
They rarely got past 50 posts.
They now get thousands.

sphinx

the piano man
They now get thousands.

back then we had bunkum giving the exact figure for every game you wanted to know about. THAT was pure sales-age bliss.

the zelda/gears/resistance trailer brought everything down.

donny2112

They now get thousands.

What you're missing is the run-up of NPD threads to the November 2006 thread. Those were deleted with the forum's crackdown on NPD leaks. Those NPD threads were the big ones that started the ball rolling. And it wasn't contained to just the main NPD thread. There'd be spinoff threads discussing LTDs of different companies, games > 500K in the generation to-date, tie ratio updates, etc. NPD data was in many places, and not just the main NPD threads.

Cold butts on a train can be quite entertaining. ;P

*grumble*

Probably would've ended soon, anyways, but that was way too over the top. :(

Cipherr

back then we had bunkum giving the exact figure for every game you wanted to know about. THAT was pure sales-age bliss.

I remember that name. Remember people saying they wish we got numbers from him like they used too, lol. So I must have been juuuuuuust a bit to late for that.

I can hardly imagine..... numbers for even the niche games? Squeeeeeeee!!!!! would be awesome.

Fularu

Banned
What you're missing is the run-up of NPD threads to the November 2006 thread. Those were deleted with the forum's crackdown on NPD leaks. Those NPD threads were the big ones that started the ball rolling. And it wasn't contained to just the main NPD thread. There'd be spinoff threads discussing LTDs of different companies, games > 500K in the generation to-date, tie ratio updates, etc. NPD data was in many places, and not just the main NPD threads.

Cold butts on a train can be quite entertaining. ;P

Yup I remember Anihawk's Nintendo LTDs for the GC era of gaming. NPD threads were full of numbers and we really had a clear picture of the industry, now? We hardly know anything at all, they're even les interesting than the European sales figures because, at least, Nintendo gives us numbers every semester or so.

We would get figures for games that sold like less than 10 copies on a monthly basis. That shit was awesome.

AniHawk

Yup I remember Anihawk's Nintendo LTDs for the GC era of gaming. NPD threads were full of numbers and we really had a clear picture of the industry, now? We hardly know anything at all, they're even les interesting than the European sales figures because, at least, Nintendo gives us numbers every semester or so.

the old numbers, like the sega threads i did, are still here. i don't think anyone cares because they're 7 years old now.

I imagine they make considerable profit on the PSP business (hardware, software and accessories) right now.

But it's still kind of shortsighted.

AniHawk

I don't see what the problem is. Vita just launched in the west and they probably don't want us getting jelly over them getting Super Blue Vita.

they could just bundle it with ridge racer in the west. it'll be the launch that never was.

Zornica

Banned

Their "keep more of the own systems active in the market" strategie sounds pretty stupid to me. If "new" customers are interessted in a psp, wouldn't it be better for them to get a vita and download those psp games they are interessted in? If they are new customers, which I think is always the target with a new color, they shouldn't already have any umds to worry about.

sounds to me like some messed up priorities

(you can download psp games on vita, right?)

People that buy a PSP only now are not the people that would somehow buy a new, expensive system like the Vita. I don't see the problem. A new color for the Vita would be a drop in the ocean anyway.

This is quite logical actually - people who didn't care to buy PSP yet are not going to be interested in buying much more expensive PSV.

And those people buying PSP now are possible PSV buyers in the future when it reaches more mainstream price.

Oh yeah but where are all those alternate colors PSV Sony ? Japan loves them so it would at least provide some boost.

This is quite logical actually - people who didn't care to buy PSP yet are not going to be interested in buying much more expensive PSV.

And those people buying PSP now are possible PSV buyers in the future when it reaches more mainstream price.

New PSP color + fucking nothing is only 2000 yen less expensive than 3DS + game (either Fire Emblem or MH TriG). New 3DS color is 3000 yen cheaper.

Take your pick.

Zornica

Banned
People that buy a PSP only now are not the people that would somehow buy a new, expensive system like the Vita. I don't see the problem. A new color for the Vita would be a drop in the ocean anyway.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. There are many people that I know of, me included, who bought their 3ds at launch just to play ds games on it - which was also far more expensiv than just buying a regaluar dsi. I don't think it's very forward looking to buy a phase out model, especially if the replacement is backward compatible, sort of.
DS-> 3DS is different of course, because of it's cartridges, but if you decide to go with a psp instead of a vita, and later want to upgrade, you are stuck with a bunch of umds you can't even use anymore.

Instead of focusing on keeping the psp alive, they should kill it as fast as possible to force people on their new machine. I now they are still making money with it, probably more than ps3 and psv combined, but on the long run it seems to me that they are seriously hurting their own vita sales.

m.i.s.

Banned
Instead of focusing on keeping the psp alive, they should kill it as fast as possible to force people on their new machine. I now they are still making money with it, probably more than ps3 and psv combined, but on the long run it seems to me that they are seriously hurting their own vita sales.

Far too early to do that. PSP is not even 10 years old yet. Furthermore, there's no guarantee that if Sony do knock PSP on the head, the slack will be taken up by the Vita. On the law of unintended consequences, sales that would have otherwise gone to PSP could go towards a purchase of a 3DS instead or a used PSP.

What is the general feeling about Vita as an item of hardware from the Japanese? Apart from the software, is the size of the system an issue?

Nekki

Prediction League March 05 - 11

[3DS] Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai - 125,000
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam UC - 35,000
[PS3] Street Fighter X Tekken - 60,000
[3DS] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D - 45,000
[3DS] Girls RPG: Cinderella Life - 9,000

Also new PSP model?? It comes with a 2gb memory card... the irony lol.

Unless people haven't noticed Vita ain't selling and the PSP is.
Only problem I have with that PSP is its a horrible colour and they've forgotten to make the packaging black /fail

Unless people haven't noticed Vita ain't selling and the PSP is.
Only problem I have with that PSP is its a horrible colour and they've forgotten to make the packaging black /fail

But at the same time, new colors help handheld sales.
And yes, that is an awful color.

Top Bottom