• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2014 (Feb 17 - Feb 23)

Takao

Banned
I have a question about those Famitsu download charts: do they include PSN/eShop exclusive games? I remember the first one included Rain, but that seemed to be part of a much more comprehensive test run than the stuff we've received since.

Metallix87

Wow. Now I understand clearly. fanboysm is a terrible beast.
Fanboyism? Who am I a fanboy of, exactly? I've spent the past several months condemning Nintendo for the Wii U debacle. Is it Microsoft? I mean, I don't really consider myself a fanboy of theirs, and I haven't bought one of their games in ages.

Metallix87

What you said has nothing to do with the coming weeks though. You were talking about the launch.
The launch, to me, is evidence that this is the Wii U all over again. Average hardware sales, abysmal software sales, and the games on the horizon don't inspire much confidence.

omonimo

Banned
Fanboyism? Who am I a fanboy of, exactly? I've spent the past several months condemning Nintendo for the Wii U debacle. Is it Microsoft? I mean, I don't really consider myself a fanboy of theirs, and I haven't bought one of their games in ages.
Deny the good start of the ps4, I don't know the hell it has to do the next weeks or whatever you mean. Not has sense what you point out. I don't see how could be call 'average', a launch dominate in the chart from the software of a new console & selling almost the whole shipped in just two days. No one here saying ps4 will dominate again. ps3 sold a lot worse at launch.

L Thammy

If we're going to judge the PS4's launch success by presence in the chart, note that that is relative to how everything else is selling. This week the top 30 seller in Famitsu pushed 4,533 units. On the Vita's launch week, the top 30 seller pushed 17,006 units. There's eight PS4 games charting this week that are under 17,006 units.

The launch, to me, is evidence that this is the Wii U all over again. Average hardware sales, abysmal software sales, and the games on the horizon don't inspire much confidence.

Doing 320k in a non holiday month especially at that price is better than average. I would call it good. Of course I am only talking about hardware sales. Software sales are bad.

Also how is the launch evidence that this is the WiiU again. Surely its the release schedule thats evidence that the PS4 will decline steeply.

omonimo

Banned
Doing 320k in a non holiday month especially at that price is better than average. I would call it good. Of course I am only talking about hardware sales. Software sales are bad.

Also how is the launch evidence that this is the WiiU again. Surely its the release schedule thats evidence that the PS4 will decline steeply.

The total number of software sold on ps4 it's bad? AbsoIutely not, I totally disagree, Seems fine to me.The big question it's how will end in the next weeks. But for now, sony should be enough happy.

BlackJace

Deny the good start of the ps4, I don't know the hell it has to do the next weeks or whatever you mean. Not has sense what you point out. I don't see how could be call 'average', a launch dominate in the chart from the software of a new console & selling almost the whole shipped in just two days. No one here saying ps4 will dominate again. ps3 sold a lot worse at launch.

Chris posted comparisons of console launches. The PS4's is about average. Average doesn't necessarily equate to failure.

I wouldn´t talk if i were you.

lol are we threatening each other now?

Madouu

Good hardware launch but disappointing software sales, one might say as expected by the regulars here. I think the low software sales could be foretelling of disappointing hardware results in the future though.

3DS is dropping alarmingly fast and needs some kind of Nintendo reaction that is more than just Mario Party in March. A new hardware revision might be one answer but I think what the 3DS needs to move a substantial amount of hw now is audience expanding software, just like New Leaf was. The other business strategy would be to double down on the existing consumer base.

Yokai Watch and Kirby still doing really well, nice to see.

Abounder

Banned
Holidays would increase sales but not by much in my opinion. Early adopters, especially after the long PS3 gen, would have gobbled them up regardless.

Hardware sales seem good but the software sales seem bad. PS4's killer app is the PS4 itself for Japan.

If we're going to judge the PS4's launch success by presence in the chart, note that that is relative to how everything else is selling. This week the top 30 seller in Famitsu pushed 4,533 units. On the Vita's launch week, the top 30 seller pushed 17,006 units. There's eight PS4 games charting this week that are under 17,006 units.

Didn't the vita launch in the holidays though? How would you adjust for that if you are trying to use the relative sales on the charts?

B.O.O.M

The system launched in February compared to the holidays the wiiu did. WiiU also had mario for launch. This is definitely a much better launch.

PS4 will probably struggle in the first year. But unlike the wiiu, it's actually a huge success in the west and hence it will keep getting third party support going forward. So No...sounds like it's wishful thinking all over again.

omonimo

Banned
Chris posted comparisons of console launches. The PS4's is about average. Average doesn't necessarily equate to failure.

lol are we threatening each other now?

It's not average. Average based on what? We are not in the ps2 era. Japan market is in terrible conditions, how could be average sold 320 k of console to launch & the double in software number? & with the wii U which more games & better price tag.

BlackJace

It's not average. Average based on what? We are not in the ps2 era. Japan market is in terrible conditions, how could be average sold 320 k of console to launch & the double in software number? & with the wii U which more games & better price tag.

Well, considering recent launches have floated between 300-400k, what would you call the PS4 debuting firmly in that range? That strikes me as average.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Software is not average. It's what it was expected and is bad.

The total number of software sold on ps4 it's bad? AbsoIutely not, I totally disagree, Seems fine to me.The big question it's how will end in the next weeks. But for now, sony should be enough happy.

Yeah. You could hypothesise it was because of Knack but at the end of the day the attach rate is definitely at the low end.

We don't know Sony's expectations on software but looking at the sell through retailers should be happy.

Good hardware launch but disappointing software sales, one might say as expected by the regulars here.

Definitely not the good hardware part. Many people expected quite a bit below 300k after the videos/reports. Software was expected.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Speaking for attach rates

NDS - 1,04
PSP - 1,06
360 - 1,07
PS3 - 0,82
WII - 1,80
3DS- 0,95
PSV - 0,92
WIU - 1,22
PS4 < 0,70

Chris do you happen to have PS2's attach rate handy?

PS4's is quite poor. Little under PS3's which is not respectable in the first place. I do wonder how low the weekly sales will get this year

EGM1966

NDS - 1,04
PSP - 1,06
360 - 1,07
PS3 - 0,82
WII - 1,80
3DS- 0,95
PSV - 0,92
WIU - 1,22
PS4 < 0,70

With an attach rate of over 1 for Knack they don't need anything else!

I suspect most of the PS4 games were really PS3 games (some selling more on PS3 to prove the point) didn't help.

Overall I think the launch was probably the best they could hope for in current circumstances and with the launch library such as it was. The big question is will the PS4 prove healthy going forwards or not? I don't see that as a foregone conclusion at this point although I guess it doesn't have much competition since the XB1 is probably doomed ahead of time and the market seems very uninterested in the Wii U.

It did Wii U launch numbers, and didn't sell out by a good amount. Software sales are abysmal. The launch was average at the very best, and I'm sure, internally, Sony is very disappointed.

I know you may be a touch negative on Sony (and Microsoft) but theres like 4 big glaring errors in your argument. 1) Shipment numbers 2) Holiday 3) confusing Media Create/Famitsu 4) Assuming a huge company would be disappointed in selling over 80% of stock of their product in 2 days

Mexi

Banned
Those PS4 sales are certainly helping the PlayStation brand.

Studios are getting bigger and they aren't cancelling new games.

Also add me to PSN: UltraForza

Does anyone have any stats for the PSN PS4 games? Especially Resogun and Sound Shapes. I wonder how many bought PS4 games digitally as well

I'm not really going to put much stock in people calling for the death of the industry over 2 days worth of sales/attach ratio.

We'll see who the delusional one is in the coming weeks.

Namco set publisher expectations for the PS4 by the end of March at 300-500k. It's already made it to that range in 2 days and will likely surpass it. PS4 doesn't need to dominate in Japan, merely do well enough to be viable ecosystem. We will see how long it takes to transition from the PS4, but the PS3 is not the PSP and the PS4 also isn't the Vita.
And no, the launch sales are not bad. Yakuza actually pulled solid numbers for a side story release in the series and no one expected it to top the PS3 version at launch, anyone who suggested that was being ridiculous. The other western titles look low but really they are all late ports of games that audience would've bought in November/December of last year. People using them to downplay the better than expected results for the PS4 don't know what they're talking about.

Moreover yes, pack-in games do have a negative impact on tie ratios. Knack does count.

PS2 had 10 games at launch, 7 charted at Famitsu top 30 and 7 at Media Create top 30

Based on Famitsu attach rate for PS2 is 0,83-0,86

Thanks. Weird that PS2 did PS3 attach rate but I guess that's related to PS2 amazing launch versus PS3's terrible one probably. HW wise I mean

Glass Joe

I was pointing out to stead decline of 3DS compared to stabilizing Vita. 3DS is Nintendo's only money-making product in the market right now, and to see it has sharper decline than its competitor, which have much thinner libraries, is serious concern. If you think Nintendo is satisfying just from getting a cut from software sale while seeing their hardware dropping, you can't be more wrong.

So you totally put words in my mouth, making up what I said, and then tell me I'm wrong for it? Neat. I was merely pointing out the absurdity of what you said. Believe it or not, not having even a single entry in the Top 30 is NOT a win for the Vita. I'm glad (and a little surprised) that it's stabilizing without any chart entries. But facing facts, Vita still has a long way to go. It's still getting outsold nearly double by 3DS and 1/3 of the Top 30 this week are 3DS titles -- which is where the money's at. Nowhere does that mean I think Nintendo's happy with recent 3DS sales. They're just on the better side of things.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
There must be like 1000 people in Japan who bought PS4 because of Knack. Such a system seller, everyone was waiting for it.

Arzehn

Egos run so high in Media Create threads. Hilarious.

Anyway, I think a lot of people are forgetting about the upgrade program for some of these games. Discounting Knack isn't completely fair either... had it not been bundled it would have probably sold 30k or something. Pure speculation but whatever it sold would have improved the "attach rate".

Nibel

This thread went down the shitroad fast

NDS - 1,04
PSP - 1,06
360 - 1,07
PS3 - 0,82
WII - 1,80
3DS- 0,95
PSV - 0,92
WIU - 1,22
PS4 < 0,70

I have a question: how big is the impact of bundled-games? How many of these systems had games bundled-in? I feel like with the PS4 it's a special situation since I assume many people are happy with Knack as first game and with the F2P offerings; I don't have any download numbers or anything, so my assumption could be very wrong as well

Anyway, I think a lot of people are forgetting about the upgrade program for some of these games. Discounting Knack isn't completely fair either... had it not been bundled it would have probably sold 30k or something. Pure speculation but whatever it sold would have improved the "attach rate".

Hey hey hey, that's not how we do things here. Please take your "Facts" and "Rational Points" elsewhere. Baseless speculation and fatalism is the name of the game round these parts, and we don't take kindly to you folks here.

*Spits*

Tripon

I know you may be a touch negative on Sony (and Microsoft) but theres like 4 big glaring errors in your argument. 1) Shipment numbers 2) Holiday 3) confusing Media Create/Famitsu 4) Assuming a huge company would be disappointed in selling over 80% of stock of their product in 2 days

If there's anything Sony has to worry about, its the fact there's no game that will push hardware. We'll find out how big an issue it is in the next few weeks.

Hey hey hey, that's not how we do things here. Please take your "Facts" and "Rational Points" elsewhere. Baseless speculation and fatalism is the name of the game round these parts, and we don't take kindly to you folks here.

*Spits*

I got a bridge to sell to you if you think a significant amount of people are going to upgrade from the PS3 version of DW8 to PS4.

DW still looks like a PS2 game at times. This is the game Sony and Koei are trying to get you to upgrade. A game that was released nearly a year ago to this date. There won't be over 30,000 people who are looking to upgrade from PS3 to PS4 for this game.

7a1C2sj.png

Top Bottom