• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Software Sales 19th-25th Dec

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
quetz67 said:
I think that fits quite nicely with my 20-30 million (before Q4). And a good part of the those are iPod shuffles, which are quite a lot cheaper than a PSP.

Sure Apple and some other are now big in the "walkman" business, but PSP does not try to be the new walkman.
I'm not even sure the shuffle accounts for 10% of the Ipod sales. But whatever. PSP was trying to be a new all in one walkman, that's not something to be argued. The thing is it failed to compete with the Ipod as a walkman player.

When next gen console are released next year, casual gamers will predictably stop buying the PSP and pick up a PS3/Rev/x360 instead. When this happens, who will still buy the PSP? Usual walkman consumers? No chance, these will buy an Ipod. GBA owners? These are more likely to get the cheap GBA compatible DS.

Sony will need to put its biggest marketing efforts in the PS3 promotion. PS3 will have to fight against 2nd gen x360 games, HD dvd players and even Revolution. PSP will be shadowed by the PS3 in 2006, it won't have the big marketing exposure it would need to overcome its lack of self selling beam.

There are reasons to be cautious about PSP sales previsions in 2006.

quetz67

Banned
marc^o^ said:
I'm not even sure the shuffle accounts for 10% of the Ipod sales. But whatever. PSP was trying to be a new all in one walkman, that's not something to be argued. The thing is it failed to compete with the Ipod as a walkman player.
They used the brand name because they had it and I am sure they were aware that a pretty heavy $249 device you cant jog with will not compete with an iPod shuffle or mini/nano. And yes I think the shuffle accounts for more than 10% of iPod sales, because before mid 2004 without mini/shuffle available ipod sales were good but way below 5 million a year.

2006 might be hard year for PSP, but I bet a very successful if they get the games going. And I am pretty sure the PSP will compete quite well with the iPod video, which it comes close to competing with. But sure the ipod mini/shuffle/nano sales will destroy those of Sony's MP3 players they are competing with.

Enough for this argument, we can talk again in a year.

Monorojo

Banned
PSP sells more than it ever has, amazing how it continues to sell so well @ the price it is and with no real software support.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Monorojo said:
PSP sells more than it ever has, amazing how it continues to sell so well @ the price it is and with no real software support.

Well, there are tons of umd movies and all, you know.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Monorojo said:
It's funny how fanboys say that yet cry when people say that there are no games on PSP.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Monorojo said:

It is PlayStation afterall, but yes it's doing quite well, it's not gonna lead either the mp3 or handheld gaming markets but it will still do quite well.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Azelover said:
It is PlayStation afterall, but yes it's doing quite well, it's not gonna lead either the mp3 or handheld gaming markets but it will still do quite well.

This part we still don't know yet.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
marc^o^ said:
Unless december sales prove me wrong, PSP is far from reaching Sony expectations
They predicted 10M by year end, which is basically on par with PS2 performance (PS2 took exactly 12months to ship first 10milions) and it seems like they got to that target slightly faster then PS2.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
JJConrad said:
You may not. ;)

Looks like you are another one that doesn't view worldwide sales as important. You seem to view Japan as the only place to take into account.

Tony HoTT

Banned
Izzy said:
Speaking of Japanese sales, I get the feeling next Media Create HW chart is going to be very interesting.

If the DS supply tops off, then maybe PSP will outsell the DS.

It will be glorious.

mj1108

Izzy said:
Speaking of Japanese sales, next Media Create HW chart is going to be very interesting.

The Sony "glimmer of hope" that if someone goes to the store for a DS and they're out that they'll buy a PSP?

GhaleonEB

quetz67 said:
My source for MC numbers is gamefront, they have them back to mid 2002. unfortunately you have to browse through their news archive

To be honest, I'm more interested in the hilarity these threads usually contain over the actual sales, but thanks for the pointer.

maharg

idspispopd
By the way, if I missed any good sales threads in filling up the sales archive, feel free to send a link to me via PM and I'll get it in there. The lack of NPD threads is for a good reason, though.

Basically the furthest back information that's in there is the end of the first page of searching for "Media Create," "Japanese," or "Sales."

jarrod

Banned
Monorojo said:
PSP's had more ambitious 3rd party support than any non-Famicom/PlayStation console in history, pre-release it essentially split the 3rd party Japanese community with DS. Yet it's trailing Saturn and moving about on par with GameCube hardware wise, and software wise it's trailing both. PSP certainly has great JP support now (it's actually had more JP 3rd party releases than DS), but it might not if in the future if these trends continue...

This idea that PSP's had "lacking" software commitments though is just flat out wrong. From day one it's had it way better than Saturn, N64, Dreamcast, GameCube or Xbox managed. Hell, it's even significantly better than what the original PlayStation started out with.

jarrod

Banned
Fafalada said:
It's also been selling faster then original PS so far (even in Japan).
Not software wise. It's lagging both PS1 and Saturn for 1994/1995.

Hardware might be arguable too. I thought both Saturn and PS had moved 2.5 million their first full years on market? Both sold about 350-400k first week iirc.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
No idea about Saturn, but PS1 shipped only 2milion in its first 12months in Japan - so it was more then 1milion behind.

jarrod

Banned
Fafalada said:
No idea about Saturn, but PS1 shipped only 2milion in its first 12months in Japan - so it was more then 1milion behind.
Ack! Though I wonder if PS1 sellthrough was tracking closer than PSP?

Still, we've yet to see any JP PSP games crack 500k, while plenty of PS1/Saturn games were doing it in the same timespan... I'm going mainly off memory here though, so some numbers might not be exact...

-Virtua Fighter~ 900.000
-Ridge Racer~ 700.000
-Daytona USA~ 500.000
-Panzer Dragoon~ 800.000
-Arc the Lad~ 900.000
-Tekken~ 800.000
-Virtua Fighter 2~ 1.400.000
-Sega Rally~ 600.000
-Street Fighter Zero (PS+SS)~ 900.000

quetz67 said:
My source for MC numbers is gamefront, they have them back to mid 2002. unfortunately you have to browse through their news archive
I'm looking back on both the GameFront and GameScience archives for their shared portion, and I notice something. They both use rounded numbers early on, specific numbers currently, and have a period where it's inconsistent. Did Media Create really used to list them that way, or was one site using the other as a source?

EDIT BEFORE THE ACTUAL POST: If you go to archive.org and put in http://www.m-create.com/jpn/s_ranking.html , you can find a few saved pages. Not at all comprehensive, but I don't see any rounded values.

Also, if I wanted to see a crazy conspiracy theory, I'd find it suspicious that the only archived pages from the last year are from February and March, when PSP outsold DS. :)

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Animal Crossing: Wild World DS Nintendo 424,500 1,255,750
Mario Kart DS DS Nintendo 333,000 743,250
Train Your Brain DS Nintendo 119,250 1,308,000
Nintendogs DS Nintendo 100,750 1,065,750
Daredemo Asobi Taizen DS Nintendo 55,000 333,750
Pokemon Torouze DS Nintendo 47,250 252,000
Donkey Kong Country 3 GBA Nintendo 21,500 68,250
Wario Ware Touched DS Nintendo 13,500 968,000
Jump Super Stars DS Nintendo 12,000 505,750
Super Mario 64 DS DS Nintendo 56 10,750 932,000
Mario Party 7 GC Nintendo 110,250 364,500
Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon Blue DS Nintendo 173,500 574,500
Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon Red GBA Nintendo 172,000 569,500

* Looks like Super Mario 64 and Wario Ware Touched will be joining the million seller club with Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Train Your Brain, Brain Flex and Nintendos (3 versions combined). That is amazing compared to the software sales Nintendo was amounting on the GBA.

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japweekly.php?date=38711

* Nintendo's Touch Generation titles are basically the driving force behind the Nintendo DS right now. It looks like Nintendo is going to keep a steady flow of them all through next year Japan but with the added fire power of Super Mario Bros. DS and Pokemon DS

* I have been hearing that in Japan several adults are buying Brain Training and introducing it to their friends.

* The main director behind the Train Your Brain series is Kouichi Kawamoto, this man also came up with the concept behind Wario Ware Inc.

AniHawk

I still can't believe how well Animal Crossing is doing. It's the perfect handheld game.

Too bad Pikmin didn't enjoy that success.

Kroole

AniHawk said:
I still can't believe how well Animal Crossing is doing. It's the perfect handheld game.

Too bad Pikmin didn't enjoy that success.

Pikmin is a game that would really shine on a portable though. It would have been perfect on the DS if not for the weak 3d that the machine produces. Going from Pikmin 2 to a pixelated mess would be too painful I think.

Maybe (I'm hopeful here) the series will get the recognition (saleswise) it deserves on the Rev.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Pikmin is a pretty big franchise in Japan. Pikmin 2 sold almost 500k if I recall correctly. It's just criminally underperforming in North America and Europe though.

ForzaItalia said:
I've been out of the loop for months. Anyone have the total hardware sales for both DS and PSP in all regions?

Thanks.

US:

DS 2,758,213
PSP 2,521,772

JP:

DS 5,257,071
PSP 2,572,221

No idea about Europe, though apparently it's a close race there like the US, probably pretty similar numbers actually. There are also numbers floating around for some smaller areas, like Canada (not talking landmass, heh), Australia, etc, but I don't have them.

ioi

Banned
Really?

And there I was saying how you never see Nintendo hardware sold out :p

Any word on numbers this week yet Neo?

NWO

Leondexter said:
No idea about Europe, though apparently it's a close race there like the US, probably pretty similar numbers actually.

Don't know about Europe since we haven't gotten any solid numbers other than the UK and probably never will.

For Sonyland though we have:

DS 846,000
PSP 668,600

(up to Dec 17 because we haven't had numbers posted since then)

Top Bottom