• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Gymnastics Rocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

NLB2

Banned
This is what women's gymnastics wishes it could be. Its all about strength, stamina, and control. I'm watching it right now, don't spoil the winner for me, its down between the US and Japan now. Thanks.

LakeEarth

Yeah it's awsome. I'm really enjoying the olympics this year.

I'm so sad about the attendence. It's the fricken summer olympics, I thought it's supposed to be the best of the best. It's sad.

NLB2

Banned
Japan just made the most incredible comeback ever. Their first event (floor) was terrible, but they've come back to beat the Americans. Man, that was intense. I'm not sure who the individual winner was though.

OmniGamer

Flynn said:
Early on in the qualifying rounds some guy dislocated his finger. Pretty nasty.

Yeah, I think he was on the russian team...he dislocated it on the parallel bars. Cringe-worthy

yoshifumi

Banned
japan's high bar was pretty damn impressive

it's interesting though at the sydney games i noticed all the routines were just packed with huge tricks and it was all about difficulty apparently. here it appears toned down and that the emphasis was on technique

yoshifumi

Banned
also i find it interesting that these days you see the same kind of skills in college competition, just the olympians execute that much better

karasu

I hate mens Gymnastics. The floor excercise is ok, but too damn robotic. There's no flare to it. The women have to do all of the technical tumbling and dance around and all of that other shiz.

yoshifumi

Banned
the only difference in men's gymnastics floor ex and women's is the dance parts.

and the men are even required a "dance" element now, but they usually accomplish that through horse skills on the floor and arabian and side flips

NLB2

Banned
yoshifumi said:
the only difference in men's gymnastics floor ex and women's is the dance parts.

and the men are even required a "dance" element now, but they usually accomplish that through horse skills on the floor and arabian and side flips
Exactly why men's gymnastics is superior to women's. Skill is valued over aesthetics.

yoshifumi

Banned
one of the gymnasts at univ of illinois does a kovacs with 1/1 twist, the same release that the last japanese gymnast did, and another one did the same 3 release combination of tkatchev, straddle tkatchev, and gienger that paul hamm was supposed to do. at the ncaa championship i think they both hit them pretty cleanly, but i don't really remember. so i guess it's all the tiny execution things that make the difference between college and international competition. i believe guard young used to compete for oklahoma state too.

those were some of my randomish thoughts from watching

yoshifumi

Banned
women's gymnastics is pretty fun to watch too, but i really like men's gymnastics mostly because i used to do gymnastics.

the skills performed in men's gymnastics are a lot more difficult and more impressive to me though. for example, the "biggest" tumbling pass on the us women's team is a double layout back to a front flip, while dragalescu on the romanian team's first pass is a double layout back with 1/1 twist to a front flip 1 1/4 (an overrotated front that lands on his stomach).

yoshifumi

Banned
OmniGamer said:
What's with the woman's gymnastics slamming? Some of the things they do on balance beam is pretty crazy.

i think the people who slam women's gymnastics are in the minority in the us though. most people in the us pass any sport where men where spandex as stupid.

Celicar

Banned
What annoys me is that NBC isn't playing the games live. They didn't show the men's gymnastics finals until tonight. WTF is up with that??

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Celicar said:
What annoys me is that NBC isn't playing the games live. They didn't show the men's gymnastics finals until tonight. WTF is up with that??

They save the big events for prime time so people will be home from work or whatever to watch it. Of coarse this has the drawback that some will already know who won and won't watch. I think they should show it live on one of there other networks (CNBC, MSNBC, or Bravo) and then replay on NBC at night for the prime time audience.

yoshifumi

Banned
maltese crosses and inverts are sooo much harder though

iron cross is pretty easy actually (well depending on how you get into it)

MASB

I'm glad the US came through with at least the silver medal. The men's team is usually so overshadowed by the women's team. For me, pommel horse for the men and balance beam for the women are my favorite parts of gymnastics.

etiolate

Banned
I've been wondering... where do all the gay sports announcers go after the olympics? There is one for like every event I've seen, but after the olympics they all dissapear. Is there like some closet where they are kept in tupperware for years?

Shompola

Banned
NLB2 said:
Exactly why men's gymnastics is superior to women's. Skill is valued over aesthetics.

I enjoy watching mens gymnastics more than the womens. But according to the expert commentator on the tv channel I was watching he said that there is more emphasize on technique over strength and stamina in the women competitions and vice versa in men competitions. So if you mean aesthetics as in technique I agree.

Alcibiades

did I miss all the good stuff, I just turned in, and it's Romania, which kinda sucked it up with a few mistakes and bad landings...

I want to see the US and Japan though, to see what the fuss is all about...

Alcibiades

dammit, will there be a replay of this then, I guess I missed the good stuff...

Did they have a DVD of gymnastics for Sydney, maybe they'll do that with Athens if they did it for Sydney...

my main problem is I don't have a remote control, and my TV takes about 3/4 a sec. to change channels, so it takes quite a while to switch from network to network to see if there are replays or what events are going on...

Not having a remote SUCKS!

how long are the olymics?, I should have a TV w/ remote when I move into my dorm on the 27th...

edit: well, it looks like I'll manage to see at least one Japanese team event...

Alcibiades

HOLY SH*T!

I only saw that last event with the bar thing, but the Japanese Men's team OWNED!, complex routines with beautiful execution and when they landed they didn't do much hopping like Romania and the US...

I'm not gymnastics expert or even know basics terms on the sport, but just from what I saw that ruled, especially the Japan team going in all confident and leaving knowing they'd just OWNED...

Seth C

NLB2 said:
This is what women's gymnastics wishes it could be. Its all about strength, stamina, and control. I'm watching it right now, don't spoil the winner for me, its down between the US and Japan now. Thanks.

Are you a gay man, or a woman?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
just once i wanna see someone totally screw up destroying the hardwork of all his other teammates :/

you mean like that 19 year old chinese guy? You had to feel bad for him, you could see his mistakes slowly building up the pressure, and he just lost it, and the gold medal for China.

It was great TV. I watched it on the BBC, and they had enough footage so you got the slow build up of tension, right up until the final round. I'm surprised the Japanese went for it, but maybe you have to submit your routines to the judges before each round to stop you changing midway through (kind of like how the last US guy beefed his routine up, but still got marked low because he'd submitted a low difficulty routine in the first place)

Troidal

What a morning to wake up to!!!

I thought it was like Men's Swimming team or something at first...and then I read Gynastics??? I'm like DAMNNN...

They kicked all sorts of ass! Congrats to them!

Pimpwerx

Mens gymnastics may require great feats of strength and skill, but it's not a sport. And if it is, it's the gayest sport after figure skating. Any sport where men regularly cry and where subjective scores are given isn't a sport. OTOH, women's gymnastics is pretty cool b/c you expect chicks to be doing splits and straddles and crying like little girls. Ugh, not even the rings can save 'em. :( PEACE.

karasu

Pimpwerx said:
Mens gymnastics may require great feats of strength and skill, but it's not a sport. And if it is, it's the gayest sport after figure skating. Any sport where men regularly cry and where subjective scores are given isn't a sport. OTOH, women's gymnastics is pretty cool b/c you expect chicks to be doing splits and straddles and crying like little girls. Ugh, not even the rings can save 'em. :( PEACE.

In that case Boxing isn't a Sport either.

Pimpwerx

karasu: Well, when you knock the other guy out, it's pretty decisive. But I also hate the scoring system for boxing. It's too easy to rig the system. PEACE.

Insertia

Strangely, men's Olympic gymnastics is the best I've ever seen. I've never gave much attention to it before the Olympics. Usually when I see women doing the pole swinging thing I instantly change the channel, but last night I actually watched the Japanese men team do it and it was interesting. And floor vault f*%^ng rocks!

NLB2

Banned
Shompola said:
I enjoy watching mens gymnastics more than the womens. But according to the expert commentator on the tv channel I was watching he said that there is more emphasize on technique over strength and stamina in the women competitions and vice versa in men competitions. So if you mean aesthetics as in technique I agree.
I mean aesthetics as in the dance they do on floor (god, if they are gonna do that, I wish they would at least take some ballet lessons) and all the makeup they wear. (The makeup is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Its completely unnecesary and irrelevent to gymnastics, yet the women wear it anyway.)

NLB2

Banned
Seth C said:
Are you a gay man, or a woman?
Straight man who appreciates the hard work of others.

Pimpwerx: Baseball's not a sport, there is a strike zone that is judged by an official, is there not? How about goaltending in basketball? In gymnastics there is an objective difference between good technique and bad technique, just as there is an objective difference between a ball and a strike in baseball and goaltending in basketball. All of them use judges to determine the call. What's the difference?

NLB2

Banned
karasu said:
And the men get haircuts. WTF? They wear make up because they are fucking women.
How often do you see women in other sports wearing makeup? Besides its not just a bit of rouge and some eye shadow, they wear prostitute level makeup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom