• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mergers and Acquisitions |OT| Thread Merged

Acquisitions and mergers official topic

• Is this thread organic enough?

• The thread merging will lead to the collapse of the forums industry

• Anti-trust laws should prevent people from creating threads

• This gaming forum has not been bought out

• The monopolization of OTs is bad for gaming discussion

• Your post is in talks to be acquired by another forum

Results are only viewable after voting.

kingfey

Banned
mg8vRmN.jpg

Ask the fanboys (& fangirls) begging Joe Biden to stop the deal on Twitter.

I swear, you can't make this shit up 🤣
oh twitter. I guess it drains people brain, and the ability to think.

in that sense Microsoft overpaid,

Zenimax makes 500 million revenue.
Bungie makes 250 million revenue.

I dont think Respawn made that revenue before EA bought them. Plus TitanFall wasnt a success. Apex was after EA heavily invested.

That being said, I sorta agreed they over paid, by a billion even. Microsoft must of raised it higher than it should have been. The game they have in the works must be amazing. Or 1 billion of that is for future expenses.
This is not a good comparison considering starfeild and ES6 can come out and do 20 million each and ESO is on game pass and they still have 5 or 6 other studios that come with this acquisition that can potentially make a hit. Ehhhh

kingfey

Banned
The problem for you is that Satya Nadella knows a whole lot more about the FTC’s processes and what they look out for than you do. And he’s clearly sounding VERY confident, with very logical arguments.

I suspect you will continue to hope in vain that this deal falls through.
he is ceo of MS for a reason. Dude changed MS face, and made the company stable for long term plan.
He chats with these guys alot. Considering how much shit he bought, that is not part of xbox.

Ozriel

M$FT
but I lose the game I loved, I dont want to game on more than 1 platform >.<

Then that’s the precise definition of a self-inflicted injury.

This is basically the modern FTC

security-biztonsag.gif

Tell that to NVIDiA.

As long as Nintendo exists, Microsoft is not a monopoly. I mean Playstation 2 was not problematic for a lot of posters despite being effective a home console market share monopoly so...

We used to have posters here some years back with a massive post talking about how the PS2s overwhelming dominance ‘ushered in a golden age of gaming’.

Of course it was, but that's not a bad thing as Pachter implies. Jimbo wanted a slice of that GaaS pie, realized that his company lacked the know-how to do so, so he spent a lot (a lot...) of money to gain the know-how. Nothing wrong with that. The high cost just makes it a bigger gamble, but the gamble could still pay off.

kingfey

Banned
As long as Nintendo exists, Microsoft is not a monopoly. I mean Playstation 2 was not problematic for a lot of posters despite being effective a home console market share monopoly so...
They didnt care about gaming at that time. Plus ps2 was a dvd system. That was their saving grace.

but I lose the game I loved, I dont want to game on more than 1 platform >.<
Lmao 🤣 that’s not how life works I don’t want to pay federal and state taxes I woke up to 500 dollars out of my check today for programs the government funds that I don’t approve off but they took it anyways. Business is business there’s a lot of things we don’t want to do but if you want to play those games you have to find a way.

They didnt care about gaming at that time. Plus ps2 was a dvd system. That was their saving grace.
Lol where was this when Sony basically bullied sega out of the market? Almost did Nintendo in as well. The irony here is if Microsoft hadn’t jumped in Nintendo would have been destroyed by Sony by now.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
So basically you cry MS is trying for a monopoly, but secretly want Sony to have a monopoly….
I'm cheering for Sony acquisition not because of "my games on my favorite console only", but to prevent other corporation from snagging it.
I don't really care much about acquisitions UNTIL the acquisition of Zenimax and Activision by Microsoft.

If there is a mega corporation out there snagging up mega publishers left and right, you would hope for acquisitions by your favorite company as a defensive position as well, im just being realistic here, just like every playstation/xbox gamer out there.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Lol where was this when Sony basically bullied sega out of the market? Almost did Nintendo in as well. The irony here is if Microsoft hadn’t jumped in Nintendo would have been destroyed by Sony by now.
MS would have bought Nintendo by that time. Sony were the lucky ones. If MS didnt step in, Sony would dominate the market. Nintendo would let MS buy them for cheap.

TheMan

I had no idea that bungie was only pulling in 200 million, but I guess that makes sense since they only really do Destiny shit nowadays.

Here's hoping they can expand beyond that in the coming eyars

It's supposed to be like some VR world, that has it's own community, currency. It's like second life. Ready Player One but on downers. It's a bridge too far if you ask me. People are already enthralled by screens damn near for the majority of the day. Let's just put you in the screen. Fuck the consequences. It's an invitation for the world to put their heads in the sand(box) and escape from real life. It was pathetic in the book and movie....even worse in these infant stages that seem to want to mimic it.

Agreed; sometimes too much of a good thing is a bad thing. Plus I don't like the idea of centralizing control & flow of information (including who gets to determine what's "right" information) to a small handful of massive conglomerates working in tandem with global government organizations. We already have enough of a headache with that as-is.

Also like you said, the effect of being plugged in 24/7, what will that do to kids? IMO the current youth already struggle with genuine identity (not tied to social media) and lack of creative & critical thinking skills compared to prior generations (I'd say there's a solid cut-off point of pre-iPhone/post-iPhone); having them connected to the Metaverse 24/7 will just hasten the decline.

We should show more moderation in reliance on technology, sometimes it's like tech is advancing so quickly it's actually causing a lot of people to regress in person-to-person skills, critical thinking skills etc. That's why I limit social media super-hard, the most is probably posting on these forums (which I guess technically count as a form of social media, but not the same breed like Twitter or such, thankfully).

Then that’s the precise definition of a self-inflicted injury.

Tell that to NVIDiA.

We used to have posters here some years back with a massive post talking about how the PS2s overwhelming dominance ‘ushered in a golden age of gaming’.
Nvidia situation is not the same as this btw. That would be like Microsoft buying all third party publishers and Nintendo to compete with Sony.

MS would have bought Nintendo by that time. Sony were the lucky ones. If MS didnt step in, Sony would dominate the market. Nintendo would let MS buy them for cheap.
I don’t think it was for cheap I think Nintendo just didn’t want to lose to Sony or seem like they bowed out to Sony to let an American company save them it was a pride thing.

Elios83

The biggest point to me seems that he is open to concessions but if they become general rules/laws for everyone who's going to compete in the same space in the future.
Basically he's asking for a legal guarantee that in the future Meta,Google, Amazon will be regulated as well through the implementation of clear laws/rules and not to be the only one to be regulated or asked to make concessions.
Which is fair imo.

In any case if they're talking about this on the Financial Times it means the general issue of fair competition in the metaverse is absolutely real otherwise there wouldn't be any need to even comment on it.

Perhaps Sony buying Bungie was not a response to Activision's buy-out specifically, but it may have been a response to the Bethesda acquisition and the foregone conclusion that Microsoft would continue to purchase more big-name studios and publishers.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
The problem for you is that Satya Nadella knows a whole lot more about the FTC’s processes and what they look out for than you do. And he’s clearly sounding VERY confident, with very logical arguments.

I suspect you will continue to hope in vain that this deal falls through.

Yes because he was totally going to say Gee I don't really know if this thing is going through, I mean if it doesn't we'll lose over $3B and that's really bad.
-You think that's something the CEO of multi trillion dollar company would tell to journalists of the Financial Times?

If you can't even fathom the fact that looking and sounding confident about Microsoft's deals is part of his $50M/year job, then you might be interested in this bridge I have for sale.

This makes me pretty sure theyre going after more pubs after this.
They seem to prey on pubs going thru hard finacial times.
right now thats basically just wb and ubisoft and neither seem likely, one is dependent on licensed ips and the other has resisted selling before so idk.

Zeroing

Banned
Let’s be realistic here, corporations just want more control, when MS joined the Apple lawsuit it was only for a piece of the Apple “pie”
In gaming it seems they want to eat all of the pie.

Anyway now seriously the CEO of MS wouldn’t be saying that if it was Google who brought Activision…

Last edited:
Realistically there is no reason it would be blocked, but this FTC is under a lot of pressure so there is the risk they do something that is politically motivated.
On Microsoft? Non sense. They have nothing to investigate, Microsoft can go and buy take two, Capcom and SE and still they wouldn’t have anything to investigate. If Microsoft were to buy Sony or Nintendo then that should be investigated.

yurinka

Even after the acquisition MS won't even be the 2nd in the gaming market, or even specifically in consoles. Or in PC. Or in mobile. Or in VR. They aren't market leaders even in game subscriptions. As Satya Nutella says, they'll barely have around 10% of the gaming market. There is absolutely no reason to block this acquisition.

yeah wtf even is it!? like that movie ready player one?
Do you remember Second Life and PS Home? Basically that with better visuals, and in some cases in VR.

If Microsoft were to buy Sony or Nintendo then that should be investigated.
The Japanese goverment doesn't allow to sell Sony or Nintendo to foreigner companies. So even if Sony and Nintendo would want to sell that wouldn't happen.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Yes because he was totally going to say Gee I don't really know if this thing is going through, I mean if it doesn't we'll lose over $3B and that's really bad.
-You think that's something the CEO of multi trillion dollar company would tell to journalists of the Financial Times?

If you can't even fathom the fact that looking and sounding confident about Microsoft's deals is part of his $50M/year job, then you might be interested in this bridge I have for sale.
That guy knows more than you will ever know, in your entire life.

MaulerX

I'm cheering for Sony acquisition not because of "my games on my favorite console only", but to prevent other corporation from snagging it.
I don't really care much about acquisitions UNTIL the acquisition of Zenimax and Activision by Microsoft.

If there is a mega corporation out there snagging up mega publishers left and right, you would hope for acquisitions by your favorite company as a defensive position as well, im just being realistic here, just like every playstation/xbox gamer out there.

I would say Spiderman going from multi-platform to exclusive, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter etc.... is what made MS say "Wait a minute...". They got murdered online for the Tomb Raider timed exclusive (even though Sony got a pass for doing a full Tomb Raider exclusive for the OG Playstation) so they figured the only way is to buy and own just to compete.

kingfey

Banned
This makes me pretty sure theyre going after more pubs after this.
They seem to prey on pubs going thru hard finacial times.
right now thats basically just wb and ubisoft and neither seem likely, one is dependent on licensed ips and the other has resisted selling before so idk.
WB makes more sense. Not big publisher like capcom. Plus the deal would be viewed as outside gaming deal.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
We all knew Microsoft was going to push the narrative of we're so poor and small because the mobile market also counts, as if Call of Duty, Starcraft, Warcraft and Diablo has any relevance in the mobile market.

Regardless, it's not the GAFers or the financial times reporter that Nadella needs to convince. It's the FTC and those guys don't give a rat's ass about the opinions of forum dwellers.

GAF reeally is out of touch huh?

maxresdefault.jpg

call-of-duty-mobile-.jpg

diablo-immortal-1.jpg

candycrush.png

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
That guy knows more than you will ever know, in your entire life.

Of course he does, including the fact that he can't show anything less than 200% confidence in the deal going forward.

Which is apparently something above the limited comprehension of some people out there.

Of course he does, including the fact that he can't show anything less than 200% confidence in the deal going forward.

Which is apparently something above the limited comprehension of some people out there.
You're the guy who claimed Activision and Blizzard have no relevance in the mobile market. Limited comprehension indeed.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Yo Yo?
Dis you
v
v
v
v
We all knew Microsoft was going to push the narrative of we're so poor and small because the mobile market also counts, as if Call of Duty, Starcraft, Warcraft and Diablo has any relevance in the mobile market.

Id take a long step back before accusing people of having limited comprehension.

maxresdefault.jpg

call-of-duty-mobile-.jpg

diablo-immortal-1.jpg

candycrush.png

kingfey

Banned

Dude, this guy delt with them. MS bought tons of companies before $70b activision. He know how to deal with them.

You think they are stupid to drop that much, if they werent confident about this deal?

They could have bought 4 big publishers with that money.

Even after the acquisition MS won't even be the 2nd in the gaming market, or even specifically in consoles. Or in PC. Or in mobile. Or in VR. They aren't market leaders even in game subscriptions. As Satya Nutella says, they'll barely have around 10% of the gaming market. There is absolutely no reason to block this acquisition.

Do you remember Second Life and PS Home? Basically that with better visuals, and in some cases in VR.

The Japanese goverment doesn't allow to sell Sony or Nintendo to foreigner companies. So even if Sony and Nintendo would want to sell that wouldn't happen.
That’s a good rule, prevents japanese companies going under.

So realistically there’s nothing that Microsoft can do that would be considered a monopolistic practice. They are the underdog and there are thousands of game studios.

sainraja

Everyone here needs to relax and stop calling each other out based on a landscape that is constantly changing. Given everything that has happened the past few weeks (that no one saw coming), do you ALL really need to act so immaturely — bringing up things people may have said in the past as a "gotcha" moment? Are ya'll serious? lol come on guys. You can do better than this.

Another thing that really gets me is why anyone here would want any of the two companies to OWN everything. Yeah, we should acknowledge and assess the situation based on what has happened but it is perfectly fine for people to say that the deal will go through and also perfectly fine for others to point out why it might not go through. I know its hard and I have been guilty of this too (and regret it) but it's time to move on from what may have been said, may not have been said to what is happening now.

Just chill.

Last edited:
Top Bottom