• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mergers and Acquisitions |OT| Thread Merged

Acquisitions and mergers official topic

• Is this thread organic enough?

• The thread merging will lead to the collapse of the forums industry

• Anti-trust laws should prevent people from creating threads

• This gaming forum has not been bought out

• The monopolization of OTs is bad for gaming discussion

• Your post is in talks to be acquired by another forum

Results are only viewable after voting.

JimRyanGOAT

So basically like some here were already saying for some time, Ryan acknowledged that Sony doesn't have the expertise in creating a broad online title/service, and some folks expected all their SP-only devs to all of a sudden come up with MP games that will shake up the industry... There was an exception with KZ2 and killzone.com, but that was 13 years ago, both the franchise and the service are dead.

Ya, this is more about Sonys push in MP

Sony has a bunch of studios working on MP games, but Bungie there to help them out is HUGEEE

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Sony has a bunch of studios working on MP games, but Bungie there to help them out is HUGEEE
And the technical help that Bungie will know get from Sony will be HUGEEE!!! It's a win-win.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Capcom is legit a no brainer. All their franchises are pretty damn solid.

Would like them to see tackle Sega too, even more since they already sold the part of their business that Playstation doesn't have any interest in.

Go_Ly_Dow

Square seems like a no brainer. They churn out a crap ton of games. For this gen we are getting or should be getting...

FF14 bucks and expansions, FF16, Forespoken, DQ12, FF7R-2, FF7R-3, KH4, FF Stranger of Paradise Babylons Fall, Next Marvel IP game, New Tomb Raider, Next NieR or new IP, Next Bravely game, Chocobo GP, all the ports, remasters, IPs (Deus Ex, Chrono.....) and much more.

Paying 3.6bil for just Destiny seems like a waste.

Last edited:

yurinka

fuertes.gif

SNG32

I here alot of people talking about Sony should buy Capcom, Take-two, or Konami. But have they ever bought publishers in the past? Seems like they do mostly developer acquisitions instead buying a whole cow. Which leads me to believe that the next acquisitions I could see Sony make could be Atlus or Arcsys.

Kagey K

Banned
I here alot of people talking about Sony should buy Capcom, Take-two, or Konami. But have they ever bought publishers in the past? Seems like they do mostly developer acquisitions instead buying a whole cow. Which leads me to believe that the next acquisitions I could see Sony make could be Atlus or Arcsys.

Who once owned about 40% of the UK market

ZehDon

Gold Member
MS will buy publishers, Sony will buy Developers.

If you buy enough Developrs then it works out to be the same damn thing in the end.

I suspect either CDProjekt or FROM will be next.

They need an RPG studio.
I doubt CD Projekt Red would ever sell to Sony after the bullshit Sony pulled over CP2077 refunds to cover their own ass. FROM actually makes sense, though. Bloodborne is still arguably their best game.

yurinka

I wonder which move would impress GAF more.

1. Capcom for $4 Billion
2. KojoPro and FROM Software for $5 Billion
This price is too low for Capcom, it should be higher than the From, Kojipro and maybe even the Zenimax one. They have many active and sleeping but classic IPs that not only work well on games but also on cinema or anime. Plus have an insanely huge catalog of old titles for BC/services, and have the top/key IP of several genres (Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Steet Fighter...) plus have a successful and beloved Marvel series and lead the eSports of a genre with SF. Plus Capcom is in a great financial shape and growing.

Yes, I think Bungie can help Sony in 3 main big areas:
-GaaS tech and design: Live services, updates, monetization or retention
-Big scale MP tech and design: a lot of areas inside this, from netcode to matchmaking, co-op, PvE, PvP and any more
-FPS/shooters design and implementation: gunplay, input lag, progression, user experience, etc

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
'we should expect more'.

Probably already in discussions with studios and publishers as we speak.

I'm going with Fromsoftware, Capcom, and Ubisoft.

Next year, Microsoft will buy out EA, Take-Two and CD Projekt.

Sony will then announceme they've purchased Crytek, Koei Tecmo, Konami and Square.

Nintendo buy Valve.

By the year 2030, there won't be a single publisher or developer that isn't owned by Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo.

Lognor

Banned
I doubt CD Projekt Red would ever sell to Sony after the bullshit Sony pulled over CP2077 refunds to cover their own ass. FROM actually makes sense, though. Bloodborne is still arguably their best game.
Yeah and CDPR and Microsoft have been close dating back to the Witcher 2, at least. And they supported CDPR during the Cyberpunk fiasco so I think it's much more likely that Microsoft would acquire them (not that they need to; they got that genre covered very well).

I don't know if From would want to be bought. Since Bloodborne they've not done another deal with Sony and look to remain multi platform

CD Projekt Red makes more sense for Sony, who don't have a big WRPG dev at the moment. They can also leverage GOG which has been dying a slow death to refurbish it into a playstation pc store, especially since its already DRM free

I aslo think sony has been expanding into european territories more so a polish studio seems fitting. Also they already have the cross-media appeal with witcher and cyberpunk (anime) on netflix

Last edited:
Atlus is owned by SegaSammny Holdings. Also they are a publisher.

Sony would just buy Sega instead, or SegaSammy as a whole. They are the cheapest purchase they can make. Konami is probably worth way more, even tho they make no games.

vkbest

As soon as Sony buys something significant, Microsoft has the cover to buy even more. For all the talk about Microsofts acquisition of Activision being antitrust, the more the market leader (Sony gets) the more cover Microsoft has for more expansion.

I bet MS will not risk Activision deal with antitrust buying more companies (at least big companies) until they close the deal

CD Projekt Red makes more sense for Sony, who don't have a big WRPG dev at the moment. They can also leverage GOG which has been dying a slow death to refurbish it into a playstation pc store, especially since its already DRM free

I aslo think sony has been expanding into european territories more so a polish studio seems fitting. Also they already have the cross-media appeal with witcher and cyberpunk (anime) on netflix

I don't know, they've been pretty vocal about their independence. with the president of CDPR that they've been offered deals but turned them all down to retain their independence. plus the whole thing with sony pulling cyberpunk 2077 off the psn store post player and media backlash.

I don't know, they've been pretty vocal about their independence. with the president of CDPR that they've been offered deals but turned them all down to retain their independence. plus the whole thing with sony pulling cyberpunk 2077 off the psn store post player and media backlash.

I think a sony acquisition buys CD Projekt Red back into peoples good graces though. They really sullied their reputation last year.

Ozriel

M$FT

Not for lack of trying. They bid for Leyou games back in 2020, only getting outbid by Tencent.

And they can’t buy Atlus in isolation. They’re owned by Sega.

Last edited:

yurinka

'we should expect more'.

Probably already in discussions with studios and publishers as we speak.
Yes, Jimbo said in the interview in multiple ways that they are working on more acquisitions, and they previously also said that they were working on more acquisitions.

I bet MS will not risk Activision deal with antitrust buying more companies (at least big companies) until they close the deal
MS won't have any issue with antitrust because that acquisittion won't mean any monopoly. Even combined with ABK they won't even be market leaders in gaming, console, mobile, PC, VR or even in game subscriptions.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I don’t get the infatuation with Steam. ”No steam, no buy” is so cringe and hypocritical.

Fuck Steam and fuck the King Gaben.

tumblr_pipipqqAhP1rgvfhu_540.gif

I don;t get the Fanaticism either, who cares if the game was bought on Steam, EGS, GoG, Origin, Battle Net, uPlay, MS Sotre etc., at the end of the day they land on the exact same drive of your PC, and either way it the exact same double-click the launch them, and who gives a shit which launcher boots up in the background?

MScarpa

Yes, Jimbo said in the interview in multiple ways that they are working on more acquisitions, and they previously also said that they were working on more acquisitions.

MS won't have any issue with antitrust because that acquisittion won't mean any monopoly. Even combined with ABK they won't even be market leaders in gaming, console, mobile, PC, VR or even in game subscriptions.
I think this is probably the last purchase they make of this size. Maybe they purchase a smaller company. Maybe Anarkade, something along those lines.

I'm getting to the point of feeling like all the manufacturers are moving beyond the concept of 'consoles'. Consoles now are almost like a branded PC. These companies want to put their games on more platforms for more money. In their mind, software is where the gold is.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sony is spinning up their own 'meta verse' with PS Home 2.
Welcome to 2018.

Haggard

Banned
Armchair analysts predicting Armageddon again as if consumers would give a flying fuck what the company logo in the intro of a game they are interested in looks like....

I think it’s a good get for Sony, but the price is mad for me. Given they could have bought most of Square or Capcom for that, I do wonder what the value is.

With sony's acquisition of bungie and the words from jimbo. they aren't done and plan on making even more Playstation acquisitions. A counterpart to Microsoft or that Phil Spencer buying spree poll. I've decided to create Jim ryan's or sony's equivalent poll here.

I don’t get the infatuation with Steam. ”No steam, no buy” is so cringe and hypocritical.
The other stores all suck ass, that’s why people want their games on Steam. Nearly 20 years and their most “dangerous” competitor is a barebones storefront that took 3 years to implement a shopping cart and has to bribe developers and give away games on a weekly basis in order to maintain what little mindshare it has gained since 2018.

I’ll gladly get on the Fuck Gaben train once he actually gives me a reason to be mad at him. Until then, Im sticking with the store with the most features and the longest and best track record.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Has a major Japanese dev been bought yet? I keep seeing Capcom, SEGA and Square listed but there’s no precedent that I’m aware of.

JackMcGunns

Square seems to be the most logical, although MS snagging square from under them would be a good answer for them snagging the makers of Halo. FF7 was afterall the defining game for the OG PlayStation if you ask me.

Has a major Japanese dev been bought yet? I keep seeing Capcom, SEGA and Square listed but there’s no precedent that I’m aware of.

I'm not that aware of, so far neither sony or Microsoft has made any major purchases of Japanese publishers or developers outside of tango gameworks but they were included in the Bethesda package.

DJ12

They should buy my undying loyalty for the princely sum of 1x GeForce 4090 (I can wait)

As for the list, going with the proviso it's going to be someone they've already worked with as a publisher or partner, Square, KojimaPro or Emberlabs are the ones that stick out.

Emberlabs will probs get to do another Sony funded game before they get purchased, but my money is on Square.

Will cost a lot, but they are aligned with Sony in many ways, it probably wouldn't even take an outright purchase, pretty sure Sony already owns a stake in them.

Top Bottom