• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3 | OT + Review Thread |

nbkicker

Had another go this morning and although can hear fan slightly its deffently more like quest 2 now and not as loud as yesterday, maybe something todo with setting up or before update, but tried room scan again in siting room in daylight and still has trouble setting floor level and is a inch or two higher , tried after to adjust walls but if though u drop them it still not going down just adjusting where wall is, upstairs is fine even at night time with lights, which is strange when quest 2 always got floor level right, be better if before room scan u just set floor level then scanned ontop of that

chixdiggit

• The headset only feels marginally more comfortable than the Quest 2. I was using the default head strap for about 5 minutes when the doorbell rang and it was my elite head strap with battery. That box felt heavier than the Quest box. I installed it and still the headset only felt a bit more comfortable.
Surprised to read this. I find the 3 far more comfortable compared to the Quest 2 and love the new strap. I'm happy with the upgrade for that alone.
  • Lighter
  • Slim
  • Better fit
  • More Secure
  • No VR lines on the face
  • Easier to put on
Maybe we just have different shaped heads.

nbkicker

Surprised to read this. I find the 3 far more comfortable compared to the Quest 2 and love the new strap. I'm happy with the upgrade for that alone.
  • Lighter
  • Slim
  • Better fit
  • More Secure
  • Easier to put on
I think the new strap feels better then the one that came with quest 2, but still think ill be upgrading to the elite strap as doing game dev with it it is miles easier to take off put on all time , mind u with a bigger sweet spot on the quest 3 it great not having to adjust it about all time, just need a nice case to put it in when not using

chixdiggit

I think the new strap feels better then the one that came with quest 2, but still think ill be upgrading to the elite strap as doing game dev with it it is miles easier to take off put on all time , mind u with a bigger sweet spot on the quest 3 it great not having to adjust it about all time, just need a nice case to put it in when not using
To confirm I am using Elite strap. I recommend it though it seems a bit overpriced. Not sure if there is any third party options.

Minsc

Gold Member
To confirm I am using Elite strap. I recommend it though it seems a bit overpriced. Not sure if there is any third party options.

It's definitely worth it for the extra comfort and nearly double the battery life IMO. It doesn't really have any negatives at all outside price. The base battery life is like what 1.5 hours in the worst case situations? That's pretty short especially if you don't run it to 0% or start at 100% then you're closer to a 1 hour battery life.

Minsc

Gold Member
So my extended initial impressions:

Device:
++ Comfort w/ Elite battery strap
+ Light weight
++ Display clarity (entire display is in focus, all the time)
- Blacks. Not great at times.
+ UI is very complete and in VR and more app-focused almost like a phone than the non-existent PSVR2 UI.
+ With no wires it is so fast to put on and take off, feels much nicer.
+ Able to customize it quite a bit, lots of pieces snap in/out, and had more adjustments than PSVR2 does.

Apps:
BigScreen: Looks cool for streaming games (probably mainly flat) from the PC, or watching stuff, can do a lot more customizing the environment than I expected.

Virtual Desktop: For playing PC VR/Steam VR like Alyx and others, didn't get around to it yet, but all other impressions I've read on it are great.

SkyBox VR: Tried Alita in 3D with it, looked great, 3D was as good as I've ever seen it for a 3D movie. It's not 4k Bluray quality (3D movies are 1080p anyway, plus the headset just isn't that detailed at a 1:1 scale when it's an inch from your eyes), but looks like a very good 1080p, unlike the PSVR2 which does not, it's got a bunch of visual issues and not as clear. The options are cool, you can adjust the ambient lighting to various levels and change the environment from movie theater to space/moon/etc, and change your seat or the screen size. I could see myself watching content/show/3D movies in this where I definitely didn't find it enjoyable on the PSVR2.

Games:
RE4: Instantly impressed and I can just tell it's going to be a blast, and basically as high a recommended purchase as Alyx or anything else you could name. It looks so much better than I expected as well. All sorts of nice little touches in the UI for VR and it's just so sharp and clean looking, it's by FAR the best I've ever seen classic RE4 look, and the gunplay and game looks like it'll be every last bit as fun as Village on the PSVR2 was and it's also more cartoony looking so it isn't scary at all like Village was for me. Which is probably a plus overall, but the scary stuff was immersive in Village too. But the game just looks so great on the headset, sharp and everything is instantly immersive.

Walkabout Minigolf: Another great game, I only spend a few minutes, as I've played it a bit on PSVR2, but not much, but just to compare it is was better here because everything is in focus, where the PSVR2 had trouble around the edges so when lining up shots things were blurry. Colors take a small hit vs PSVR2, but it's still worth it for the better clarity.

Vader Immortal I: Definitely feels a little dated, but I heard good things about it. You need to think of this more as a 40 minute ride experience I think, it's short either way, but I only played it to Darth Vader which was fun enough. I'm not sure if there's anything resembling a game in here, but as a SW fan there's different artifacts to see and get stories on and it reminds me of the boat ride on Horizon which also was made in to a little ride/experience. One big negative is it taps heavy in to blacks and that really hurts as the LCD panels are not great at that, at least not in this game. I feel the blacks in mixed reality look so much better, so maybe it's an issue with this game more than the headset.

Dungeons of Eternity: This is supposed to be the new hotness, a Diablo-esque roguelike run through dungeons in solo/coop/multi and upgrade your weapons/character and repeat. Seems solid enough, but need more time in it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
For Dungeons of Eternity.

If you are playing on a Quest 3, check the "Enhanced Visuals" checkbox in the Quick Settings|Options > Other section. Additionally, turn on "Disable LODs" for the best visuals on Q3. If you started playing on a Quest 2, they're probably turned off.

About to head to Best Buy during Lunch Break to pick up some Quest 3 assessories. The Elite Strap seems to be popular.
Does anyone know if that official Quest 3 carrying case is any good? I can't find a single video review anywhere on the Youtubes.

Minsc

Gold Member
About to head to Best Buy during Lunch Break to pick up some Quest 3 assessories. The Elite Strap seems to be popular.
Does anyone know if that official Quest 3 carrying case is any good? I can't find a single video review anywhere on the Youtubes.

I like it because it has a hard plastic storage section in the center for the controllers and a compartment for the cables,etc. And it fits the headset with the Elite Battery Strap too. People say its just like the Quest 2 case, it is a bit larger than the stock box the unit comes in, weirdly, but you are able to fit it without removing the strap.

The extra battery life is real nice, definitely consider it, time passes really fast with it on! Such a nice product.

Hot5pur

Over the past few days I tried convincing myself I need this, but I feel it hasn't moved much since almost 7 years ago that I tried VR last.
I am worried I'll buy it, play it for a few weeks, and then it will collect dust. What are the games/killer apps that have you coming back to it?
Watching movies / youtube seems promising but I don't want something on my head lol, maybe with the passthrough...
So far the one that has me somewhat interested is the ping pong game. Everything else I just feel the experience on a standard PC is so much more complex/rich in terms of gaming I'm not sure the whole VR aspect will be enough to keep me interested.
So sell me on this thing, perhaps that's one thing the VR industry doesn't do too well. Also doesn't help that I don't want to look like a goofball prancing around in front of my wife with this thing on my head.

Romulus

Over the past few days I tried convincing myself I need this, but I feel it hasn't moved much since almost 7 years ago that I tried VR last.
I am worried I'll buy it, play it for a few weeks, and then it will collect dust. What are the games/killer apps that have you coming back to it?
Watching movies / youtube seems promising but I don't want something on my head lol, maybe with the passthrough...
So far the one that has me somewhat interested is the ping pong game. Everything else I just feel the experience on a standard PC is so much more complex/rich in terms of gaming I'm not sure the whole VR aspect will be enough to keep me interested.
So sell me on this thing, perhaps that's one thing the VR industry doesn't do too well. Also doesn't help that I don't want to look like a goofball prancing around in front of my wife with this thing on my head.

Go to best buy and demo one. Whatever you tried 7 years ago was a POS compared to this. It's just the way the tech has advanced.

Last edited:

Reallink

Go to best buy and demo one. Whatever you tried 7 years ago was a POS compared to this. It's just the way the tech has advanced.

Not really, the original Vive is still one of the best VR experiences around aside from the expected low resolution of the displays. A lot of those early Valve demos like the photogrametry locations and The Lab are still some of the best first experiences to put people in and remain beyond the capabilities of stand alone processing. First thing I do with every new headset and GPU is fire up Valves VR Destinations app and super sample the bejesus out of those photogrametry places. Now I will agree the stuff like GearVR, Cardboard, and Oculus Go were straight trash, but not high end PCVR.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Not really, the original Vive is still one of the best VR experiences around aside from the expected low resolution of the displays. A lot of those early Valve demos like the photogrametry locations and The Lab are still some of the best first experiences to put people in and remain beyond the capabilities of stand alone processing. First thing I do with every new headset and GPU is fire up Valves VR Destinations app and super sample the bejesus out of those photogrametry places. Now the stuff like GearVR, Cardboard, and Oculus Go were straight trash.

I'm pretty sure if the first thing you did for someone in VR was stick them in RE:Village's House Beneviento in VR, they'd have a heart attack haha, there's no way I could have done that section without quite a bit of legwork, it is absolutely terrifying in VR and shows just how damned immersive that tech is.

But more on topic, the passthrough/mixed reality and all around clarity are really really welcome improvements. But whether there's games you'd like or not, that's more up to you to research.

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
  • Lighter
  • Slim
  • Better fit
  • More Secure
  • Easier to put on
I made another post mentioning that the headset was much more comfortable after an extended usage period. I was in the headset about 3-4 hours when I could only stand about 45min in the Quest 2.

Romulus

Not really, the original Vive is still one of the best VR experiences around aside from the expected low resolution of displays. A lot of those early Valve demos like the photogrametry locations and The Lab are still some of the best first experiences to put people in.

It was great at the time, hard disagree now.

The resolution was one of the first things people would complain about in those days was how blurry it was. Being able to make things out in VR is a game-changer, and the Quest 3 just happens to excel at that.

1080 x 1200 pixels per eye
2064 x 2208 pixels per eye

On top of that, I would argue the pancake lenses are equally a huge gamechanger along with the resolution. So 2 massive indisputable advantages.

Not to mention 90fps vs 120fps, wired vs wireless/portable, easier tracking solution, smaller controls, lighter, standalone library of 500 games no PC required, but also better at PCVR, MR, much smaller profile, cheaper. The whole experience is much easier now on top of all the other advancements. Quest 3 you can easily see your surroundings. I mean, the advantages almost never end. I probably forgot half of them.

Even though the setup wasn't bad at the time, it's just a whole different experience now and much closer to a console plug and play.

Vive:
htc-vive-product-01.jpg

Quest 3

meta_quest_3_unboxing_leak.png

You literally just press a button and put on the headset. Not to mention, the standalone games in 2024 will match what was available in 2016 PCVR graphically. You could argue Assassin's Creed comes close now.

Last edited:

Reallink

It was great at the time, hard disagree now.

The resolution was one of the first things people would complain about in those days was how blurry it was. Being able to make things out in VR is a game-changer, and the Quest 3 just happens to excel at that.

1080 x 1200 pixels per eye
2064 x 2208 pixels per eye

On top of that, I would argue the pancake lenses are equally a huge gamechanger along with the resolution. So 2 massive indisputable advantages.

Not to mention 90fps vs 120fps, wired vs wireless/portable, easier tracking solution, smaller controls, lighter, standalone library of 500 games no PC required, but also better at PCVR, MR, much smaller profile, cheaper. The whole experience is much easier now on top of all the other advancements. Quest 3 you can easily see your surroundings. I mean, the advantages almost never end. I probably forgot half of them.

Even though the setup wasn't bad at the time, it's just a whole different experience now and much closer to a console plug and play.

Vive:
htc-vive-product-01.jpg

Quest 3

meta_quest_3_unboxing_leak.png

You literally just press a button and put on the headset. Not to mention, the standalone games in 2024 will match what was available in 2016 PCVR graphically. You could argue Assassin's Creed comes close now.

You'll find no disagreement from me that resolution is painfully low and it's a setup nightmare, but someone who owned or used a Vive 7 years ago is certainly not going to be blown away by a Quest 3, or consider their Vive experience (in actual use, not setup) a POS. It's iterative advancements with a lot of QOL improvements.The best 2016 content is still a very relevant today.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Alright thanks for the tips. I shall go to Best buy and try a sweaty quest 3 on for size. I have some BB credit that will expire so right now it's between this and a KitchenAid 5.5 quart lol

Romulus

You'll find no disagreement from me that resolution is painfully low and it's a setup nightmare, but someone who owned or used a Vive 7 years ago is certainly not going to be blown away by a Quest 3, or consider their Vive experience a POS. It's iterative advancements with a lot of QOL improvements.The best 2016 content is still a very relevant today.

I mean, I had a Rift S/Quest 2 and my entire family/friends has been blown away by Quest 3. Not saying Rift sucked at that time, but it does now with other options available. Actually, Rift was pretty incredible back then. It's just that all those incremental advancements have added up to a massive leap.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I mean, I had a Rift S/Quest 2 and my entire family/friends has been blown away by Quest 3. Not saying Rift sucked at that time, but it does now with other options available. Actually, Rift was pretty incredible back then.
Obviously the jump from nothing to Rift S is much much much bigger than the jump from Rift S to Quest 3.

Nothing I ever do in VR will be as mind-blowing as the first time I used a Vive in one of those VR arcades that sprouted up at the time.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I only play single player games. This evening was the first time I played a multiplayer game in VR. Played Dungeons of Eternity with another guy who was much more experienced then I was and I had an absolute blast. Think it makes a huge difference that it’s not PvP for me.

Romulus

Obviously the jump from nothing to Rift S is much much much bigger than the jump from Rift S to Quest 3.

Nothing I ever do in VR will be as mind-blowing as the first time I used a Vive in one of those VR arcades that sprouted up at the time.

Yeah I mean, I'd never make that comparison.

Romulus

I'm sure we'll get some AAA games like this but the indies are already showing glimpses of what's possible on day 1.

Thought it was pretty interesting how the AI in Espire was killed and he ragdolled over a couch in someone's house realistically. Another one slumped over someone's nightstand because it understands the geometry in a real environment.

Just the advantage of having no wires is one we've gotten used to, but my god am I glad we're past that.

Last edited:

Darko

I'm sure we'll get some AAA games like this but the indies are already showing glimpses of what's possible on day 1.

Thought it was pretty interesting how the AI in Espire was killed and he ragdolled over a couch in someone's house realistically. Another one slumped over someone's nightstand because it understands the geometry in a real environment.

Just the advantage of having no wires is one we've gotten used to, but my god am I glad we're past that.

Looks amazing.. now I wish I bought a 512gb

Romulus

Btw, you don't just get Asgard's Wrath 2 for free, you also get the first game on PCVR

Just redeem Asgard's Wrath 2 after activating your Quest 3, and Asgard's Wrath 1 will show up on your PC library.

9/10 and one of the highest rated AAA VR games yet.

Last edited:

nbkicker

That quality looks miles better then mine, at night time with all lights on most of stuff is grainy and colours don’t pop like wood cabinet with black metal all looks same, id say mine is a slight bit better then quest 2 in b+w but in colour, looking at all thewe YouTube videos are miles better then what I’m seeing through quest in ar

Romulus

That quality looks miles better then mine, at night time with all lights on most of stuff is grainy and colours don’t pop like wood cabinet with black metal all looks same, id say mine is a slight bit better then quest 2 in b+w but in colour, looking at all thewe YouTube videos are miles better then what I’m seeing through quest in ar

Lighting is everything for passthrough.

nbkicker

Will try again tomoro in siting room as have two double sliding doors to outside and a window so plenty of light can get in, although went in kitchen which has two ceiling lights with three spot lights in each fiting and still doesnt to seem to be as good as some videos ive seen on net, cant get any more lighting in kitchen otherwise id be like a lighthouse

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Came in today, just loaded her up.

Haven't played any games on it yet, but immediately my impressions are very positive. The clarity is immense, improved FOV, smooth UX, precise tracking. Even the built-in sound is clearly much improved and feels like it produces a proper soundstage. This is a mature product ready for prime time. Glad I bought the 512, will be back to using VR regularly.

Minsc

Gold Member
Came in today, just loaded her up.

Haven't played any games on it yet, but immediately my impressions are very positive. The clarity is immense, improved FOV, smooth UX, precise tracking. Even the built-in sound is clearly much improved and feels like it produces a proper soundstage. This is a mature product ready for prime time. Glad I bought the 512, will be back to using VR regularly.

Nice! Looking forward to your impressions in here as well, it is a huge step up in many ways indeed. And so many rabbit holes to go down, even if you don't have a gaming PC atm, you have to give Virtual Desktop a try and see how clear it all is (especially if you haven't yet it's really sweet to see your desktop on a VR desk or in the mountains or space or cosmos), and maybe you already own it, but if not, my one recommendation is to get RE4 from the Quest store asap, it looks so good on the hardware! BigScreen is kinda cool to look through the ~100 or so environments in VR, all sorts of movie theaters, fancy rooms and space settings even if you don't care for watching stuff on it much.

The mixed reality passthrough when using apps like Virtual Desktop and BigScreen and others is really liberating too - the way you can instantly change the screen from like 25% of your view to a gigantic 100' screen you can't even see all at once. I feel like the quality is good enough you can enjoy consuming media on this set and not feel like you're missing anything visually.

But yeah, RE4 on this headset is the most impressive thing I've seen visually so far, and it's RE4, it doesn't get much better than that anyway. Plus you're totally cheating in this version, you do away with all the tank controls and get full motion gun play, shooting while moving and more!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Nice! Looking forward to your impressions in here as well, it is a huge step up in many ways indeed. And so many rabbit holes to go down, even if you don't have a gaming PC atm, you have to give Virtual Desktop a try and see how clear it all is (especially if you haven't yet it's really sweet to see your desktop on a VR desk or in the mountains or space or cosmos), and maybe you already own it, but if not, my one recommendation is to get RE4 from the Quest store asap, it looks so good on the hardware! BigScreen is kinda cool to look through the ~100 or so environments in VR, all sorts of movie theaters, fancy rooms and space settings even if you don't care for watching stuff on it much.

The mixed reality passthrough when using apps like Virtual Desktop and BigScreen and others is really liberating too - the way you can instantly change the screen from like 25% of your view to a gigantic 100' screen you can't even see all at once. I feel like the quality is good enough you can enjoy consuming media on this set and not feel like you're missing anything visually.

But yeah, RE4 on this headset is the most impressive thing I've seen visually so far, and it's RE4, it doesn't get much better than that anyway. Plus you're totally cheating in this version, you do away with all the tank controls and get full motion gun play, shooting while moving and more!
Cool, will definitely pick up RE4 then! And grabbed this piano mixed reality app, will plug in my digital piano and see how that goes.

Bry0

Say Word Reaction GIF by Justin

What the, i didn't expect this combo. Portable mega screen with steam library?

Keep in mind to do this he’s essentially remote playing from a pc somewhere, and using virtual desktop to connect to the pc, not the steam deck.

There are probably ways to have a virtual desktop type thing on steam deck though, but then you still need a good network.

Edit: actually I wonder if anyone has gotten link cables working on deck…

Last edited:

Darko

Doesn’t look that good in the actual headset.. videos capture look better

Say Word Reaction GIF by Justin

What the, i didn't expect this combo. Portable mega screen with steam library?

bro I bought the quest for this reason only! Teach me dude

Minsc

Gold Member
Again, these are pretty simple, but you can see where this is going

That's a built in app, I played a round of it indoors, it was actually better I think because they break down the walls to your rooms and ceiling, it was a neat and fun little 5 minute experience. The visuals in the MR stuff like that pull way above the quality of the regular passthrough.

I hope it is as cloudy as it looks in that video, because I think VR + outdoor sun = time for new VR device.

Also these controllers that run off a single AA battery are still reading 4/4 bars for battery, by now my PSVR2 controllers would be dead lol.

Staying up late in bed watching the video stuff.
Netflix has a nice big screen theater room with chairs and couches. The neat thing was the vr room would react with the light coming from the video. So if something bright was onscreen the objects in the room would light up accordingly.
Also checked out the Meta Quest TV. There are several 3D shorts available.
No Disney+ app.
watching videos was the first time I was able to see the screen door of the display clearly, in game I had to really look for it.
Battery drain seemed just as fast in videos as in gaming.

shamo42

Returned mine today.

- On my face it feels terribly uncomfortable after 50 mins no matter how I adjust the straps.
- Also I had one stuck pixel,
- audio rattle on high volumes and
- black levels were disappointing coming from a Quest 1. I expected them to be worse of course but not like this.

+ Controller tracking was great even without rings.
+ Room setup is much faster now and
+ Red Matter 2 looked a generation ahead of everything else I tried (like PCVR)
+ Virtual Desktop was flawless and easy to set up.

Lighting is everything for passthrough.

You need tons of light though to get the best image quality. In a normally lit room mine was grainy and blurry.

nbkicker

Returned mine today.

- On my face it feels terribly uncomfortable after 50 mins no matter how I adjust the straps.
- black levels were disappointing coming from a Quest 1. I expected them to be worse of course but not like this.

You need tons of light though to get the best image quality. In a normally lit room mine was grainy and blurry.
Exactly, sunny is out today and looking round my living room is like looking at a 140p video nothing is sharp , ive got video recordings of my daughter from 2006 on a phone camera at night which is 10x better quality then im seing in the headset, there is no way them cameras on front are hd, 20yr ago u had better phone cameras then this

cyberheater

Returned mine today.

One stuck pixel is a good enough reason to send it back. Heard a few folks have got this. I wonder how quality control works at the factory

TVexperto

this thread almost makes me buy a quest 3.

some questions:
- how is half life alyx ? i tested in on quest 2 and it was pretty good
- should i get the 500 gb version?
- how is xcloud / geforce now with the quest 3?

Top Bottom