• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

I still think the original plan was for Chico to turn into Quiet but they cut it out after it became the running gag.

All those lines about the parasite turning males into females had to have gone somewhere.

Actually if you think about it, nothing in TPP directly contradicts this theory. It would also explain why Quiet would want revenge specifically on Big Boss when it was the bandage guy that burned her to a crisp.

NotLiquid

Metal Gear Solid 5 The Phantom Pain Crazy Coincidence: Even Moby Dick’s First Printing Had Its Epilogue Missing

CQBRUaaWgAAxHFC.jpg:orig

Kojima trying hard to go deeper than Mario lore

Neiteio

Guys

Do you think that after Skull Face died, he came back as the first zombie in the first Resident Evil

The resemblance is uncanny

Roni

Gold Member
Explain this to me, how does Skull Face's "no one can speak English!" parasites work? Haven't played the game yet, but I know that's his big plan.

Does it ever explain how something like that is possible? How would the parasites know? There's plenty of false-conjugates and borrowed words that things would get murky I think.

Search for Code Talker's cassette tapes on youtube if you really want to know the minutiae of how they work. It's explained in painstaking detail.

Like it's been said, Code Talker talks about it. But in essence, the standard strains of the parasites copulate when constantly exposed to certain sounds. These sounds are small phonetic elements. The type of phonetics can also be changed through mutation.

Through a process akin to dog breeding, a parasite can be brought to respond to incredibly particular sounds, which belong to a single language. It's pseudo-science fiction, but works for the context of the game.

Neiteio

Actually if you think about it, nothing in TPP directly contradicts this theory. It would also explain why Quiet would want revenge specifically on Big Boss when it was the bandage guy that burned her to a crisp.
Can you elaborate on this idea? I'm not sure I'm following, but I'm always interested to hear your thoughts (even if we don't always interpret things the same way).

I still think the original plan was for Chico to turn into Quiet but they cut it out after it became the running gag.

All those lines about the parasite turning males into females had to have gone somewhere.

Hahahah, holy shit, never even occurred to me, I love it.

Roni

Gold Member

I assume it was Venom that burned Quiet using Mantis' powers. He was the one connected to him. So Quiet would have seen Big Boss as the one that burned her.

The future is kind of a bummer. Wondering if there is something more buried deep within a game like this is the type of thing that I would have gone fucking crazy over as a kid, but nowadays it's hard to believe anything like that could be present as people will have mined everything out of the game within weeks.

Neiteio

Just makes dudes infertile. And sets up the bit where the parasites start reproducing asexually, creating the second outbreak in Mission 43.

But ultimately, who knows. Maybe there was a Chico-Quiet connection planned at first. He's conspicuously absent, not even acknowledged in TPP.

Can you elaborate on this idea? I'm not sure I'm following, but I'm always interested to hear your thoughts (even if we don't always interpret things the same way).

Well, I don't think it would be a stretch to assume that Chico could blame Big Boss for what happened to him and Paz. Plus, we know Chico and Skull Face had some sort of established relationship in GZ, twisted as it was. The age would pretty much fit, and who better to send in to kill Big Boss than his former soldier whom he abandoned?

In my heart I just know that... there is hope.

It definitely is possible that you get Chapter 3 and immediately get the disarmament cutscene. Now is the matter of how long it takes to unlock it...and maybe it'll be a global thing? After X amount of nukes are disarmed....is it possible that it can coincide with how many nukes there are in Real life? Once that many nukes are disarmed in game, the cutscene unlocks for everyone?

Just makes dudes infertile. And sets up the bit where the parasites start reproducing asexually, creating the second outbreak in Mission 43.

But ultimately, who knows. Maybe there was a Chico-Quiet connection planned at first. He's conspicuously absent, not even acknowledged in TPP.

He's mentioned to be killed in TPP.

I assume it was Venom that burned Quiet using Mantis' powers. He was the one connected to him. So Quiet would have seen Big Boss as the one that burned her.

When Quiet is choking you out you hear a lighter flick, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to assume Ishmael used his lighter to ignite Quiet.

You hear Big Boss light a lighter or something when the screen blacks out from Quiet choking Venom. He ignites the flammable liquid he threw at Quiet.

Neiteio

Well, I don't think it would be a stretch to assume that Chico could blame Big Boss for what happened to him and Paz. Plus, we know Chico and Skull Face had some sort of established relationship in GZ, twisted as it was. The age would pretty much fit, and who better to send in to kill Big Boss than his former soldier whom he abandoned?
Hmm... Interesting.

While I obviously like the story, one thing that could've been clearer is Quiet's backstory. She says "vengeance drove me to them." I think this suggests something before Big Boss that led her to Skull Face. But we don't know what it is.

We know part of her wanted revenge against BB, but the way it's presented in the game, that's after he torched her. And she'd be a pretty hypocritical person to hold a grudge against BB for attacking her out of self-defense. But the game does confirm she was mad at him.

But what does she mean by "vengeance drove me to them." She was already -with- them. She was already working for XOF. I think she's referring to something before Big Boss and Skull Face. I think she's referring to another quest for revenge, separate from BB, and prior to Skull Face, which led her to Skull Face.

So yeah, I'd be more satisfied with the idea you're suggesting. Anything that would perhaps explain how she became a cold-blooded assassin doing horrible things for a horrible person.

Quiet's departure is otherwise quite touching and effective. It's just that bit that puzzles me.

I'm still completely confused over Chapter 2 being named "Race" and not something that reflects anything that actually happens.

It could have multiple meanings.

Looking at the title in the vacuum, the first thing you think of is a persons race/color. On the other hand, in context with chapter 3 and the secret cutscene, and the fact that you unlock the ability to make nuclear weapons after the title card, it could also mean 'Arms race'. It's probably the latter

Hmm... Interesting.

While I obviously like the story, one thing that could've been clearer is Quiet's backstory. She says "vengeance drove me to them." I think this suggests something before Big Boss that led her to Skull Face. But we don't know what it is.

We know part of her wanted revenge against BB, but the way it's presented in the game, that's after he torched her. And she'd be a pretty hypocritical person to hold a grudge against BB for attacking her out of self-defense. But the game does confirm she was mad at him.

But what does she mean by "vengeance drove me to them." She was already -with- them. She was already working for XOF. I think she's referring to something before Big Boss and Skull Face. I think she's referring to another quest for revenge, separate from BB, and prior to Skull Face, which led her to Skull Face.

So yeah, I'd be more satisfied with the idea you're suggesting. Anything that would perhaps explain how she became a cold-blooded assassin doing horrible things for a horrible person.

Quiet's departure is otherwise quite touching and effective. It's just that bit that puzzles me.

If nothing else, it definitely seems like there was supposed to be more of a character there than what we got in the game.

Then again, I could probably say that about the majority of characters in TPP.

I'm someone who doesn't remember MGS4 very well. Just finished MGSV.
Are we to assume that Venom is who solid snake killed originally, and then naked snake is the one who shows up at the end of MGS4? I need to go rewatch that ending.

Looking at the title in the vacuum, the first thing you think of is a persons race/color. On the other hand, in context with chapter 3 and the secret cutscene, and the fact that you unlock the ability to make nuclear weapons after the title card, it could also mean 'Arms race'. It's probably the latter

I..I thought that was weird. Ch.2's name did seem..nonsensical...

I'm someone who doesn't remember MGS4 very well.
Are we to assume that Venom is who solid snake killed originally, and then naked snake is the one who shows up at the end of MGS4? I need to go rewatch that ending.

Yes. Phantom Snake died in MG1.

The true answer... Well that and having Ocelot as a buddy

Hopefully with MGO's files we can move some stuff around and make this a (somewhat buggy) reality
Part of why I sold off my PS4 version once I finished. Once people have time to tinker, I think the PC version will be really fun to return to!
Moby Dick: misprinted
MGSV: actually unfinished

Huh. Not seeing the connection really.

Neiteio

If nothing else, it definitely seems like there was supposed to be more of a character there than what we got in the game.

Then again, I could probably say that about the majority of characters in TPP.
I'm down for more character development in anything.

I'm happy with most of the characters in TPP, but I wish Quiet's backstory was more clear, since then I might be able to sympathize with why she led a life of murder.

Poor head transplant doctor. Poor booby nurse. :-(

I'm down for more character development in anything.

I'm happy with most of the characters in TPP, but I wish Quiet's backstory was more clear, since then I might be able to sympathize with why she led a life of murder.

Poor head transplant doctor. Poor booby nurse. :-(

I'm happy with Miller, and I think Huey and Zero are at least changed in interesting ways. Everyone else is pretty underdeveloped, even (sometimes especially) characters from other games in the series. I mean, Eli has about 3 total lines in the entire game, and he's with you for hours and hours.

Thank you for trying, but none of that is apparent from anything that happens in Chapter 2. Even if you can build a nuke as a multiplayer mechanic, that's hardly a focus of the chapter. Every story beat is about this army of jerks imploding because they don't have an absurd cartoon villain to collectively rally against, so maybe they should have worked with that.

Musolf815

Best thread title. Also I am so glad these threads have existed, they've really helped me deal with this game haha.

#NeverBeGameOver

I'm still completely confused over Chapter 2 being named "Race" and not something that reflects anything that actually happens.
As previously mentioned, it likely has multiple meanings in regard to nuclear arms and ethnicity, specifically language being hammered as the defining identity of mankind.

Thank you for trying, but none of that is apparent from anything that happens in Chapter 2. Even if you can build a nuke as a multiplayer mechanic, that's hardly a focus of the chapter. Every story beat is about this army of jerks imploding because they don't have an absurd cartoon villain to collectively rally against, so maybe they should have worked with that.

Yeah, they should have called Chapter 2 "The Phantom Pain." It would have worked on several levels, actually.

But it's...extremely apparent? Chapter 2 is about Miller doubling down on building his army, and we know there's a huge cutscene tied to nuclear disarmament.

But it's...extremely apparent? Chapter 2 is about Miller doubling down on building his army, and we know there's a huge cutscene tied to nuclear disarmament.

Miller's chapter 2 speech reads more like he's an insane, paranoid person. Note the Big Boss is Watching propaganda. And that cutscene exists, but it's the only indication that nukes are a big deal in the narrative and no one would know it exists if not for datamining.

Neiteio

Hmm, according to the guide, Paz cutscenes #2 and #3 (and thus the concluding tape about mercy) can only be seen in Ch. 2. So that supports the idea of it being a lesson about mercy for Venom after everything that happened with Skull Face.

Paz subplot should've been required (the story beats, not the side ops). It's crazy they make it optional.

Neiteio

Yeah, they should have called Chapter 2 "The Phantom Pain." It would have worked on several levels, actually.
Yeah, this would fit well. Maybe they didn't want to use it since it's the title of the game.

"Peace" could work as a Ch. 2 title, in the sense that's what they're trying to attain on a personal level.

Assuming Ch. 3 is truly cut, I mean.

Miller's chapter 2 speech reads more like he's an insane, paranoid person. Note the Big Boss is Watching propaganda. And that cutscene exists, but it's the only indication that nukes are a big deal in the narrative and no one would know it exists if not for datamining.

....Considering that Skull Faces whole plan was selling nuclear weapons that he controlled to nations, and that Miller wants to pick up those pieces of sorts, I would say that nukes are indeed a big deal in the narrative.

Top Bottom