• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

Johndoey

Banned
Let's discuss how Big Boss is a loser and his sons are better in every way.

Let us also praise ham-fisted commentary on nuclear weapons.

Hmm... Interesting.

While I obviously like the story, one thing that could've been clearer is Quiet's backstory. She says "vengeance drove me to them." I think this suggests something before Big Boss that led her to Skull Face. But we don't know what it is.

We know part of her wanted revenge against BB, but the way it's presented in the game, that's after he torched her. And she'd be a pretty hypocritical person to hold a grudge against BB for attacking her out of self-defense. But the game does confirm she was mad at him.

But what does she mean by "vengeance drove me to them." She was already -with- them. She was already working for XOF. I think she's referring to something before Big Boss and Skull Face. I think she's referring to another quest for revenge, separate from BB, and prior to Skull Face, which led her to Skull Face.

So yeah, I'd be more satisfied with the idea you're suggesting. Anything that would perhaps explain how she became a cold-blooded assassin doing horrible things for a horrible person.

Quiet's departure is otherwise quite touching and effective. It's just that bit that puzzles me.
I was thinking she could be referring to the parasites themselves. Vengeance kept her alive after being burned long enough for the parasites to take over her body. She probably means XOF though.

Thank you for trying, but none of that is apparent from anything that happens in Chapter 2. Even if you can build a nuke as a multiplayer mechanic, that's hardly a focus of the chapter. Every story beat is about this army of jerks imploding because they don't have an absurd cartoon villain to collectively rally against, so maybe they should have worked with that.
If you interpret the word "race" as being defined by human language, it becomes arguably relevant thematically given the biggest sequences in this chapter involve the evolution of the vocal cord parasites concerning Venom Snake executing his staff in quarantine and Quiet going into isolation having activated her English strand to save Snake's life.

Johndoey

Banned
Just makes dudes infertile. And sets up the bit where the parasites start reproducing asexually, creating the second outbreak in Mission 43.

But ultimately, who knows. Maybe there was a Chico-Quiet connection planned at first. He's conspicuously absent, not even acknowledged in TPP.

Hes absent because no one cares about Chico. But apparently somebody gives a shit about the equally terrible Paz for some reason.

Gvitor

I finally watched the nuke ending and a few minutes of episode 51. I couldn't finished it out of anger that this didn't make it to the game even though we got like, 30 to 35 filler missions.

I will never not be salty about this game. =(

....Considering that Skull Faces whole plan was selling nuclear weapons that he controlled to nations, and that Miller wants to pick up those pieces of sorts, I would say that nukes are indeed a big deal in the narrative.

That's true. Fair enough.

...I like my interpretation better, though.

Let's discuss how Big Boss is a loser and his sons are better in every way.

Let us also praise ham-fisted commentary on nuclear weapons.

Remember when Liquid got blown up in a helicopter and just jumped out and came back for like three more bossfights that same day, rather than going into a coma for nine years and then getting some schmuck to take his place? What a fucking jobber Big Boss is.

Johndoey

Banned
Remember when Liquid got blown up in a helicopter and just jumped out and came back for like three more bossfights that same day, rather than going into a coma for nine years and then getting some schmuck to take his place? What a fucking jobber Big Boss is.

Exactly, remember how Solidus had a sick sword fight after a boat crash instead of falling into a coma.Or how Solidus managed to at once be a better father figure and a better evil-doer than Big Boss.

This is waaaaayyy off topic, did people see that Kojima-Cerny photo tweet? I didn't see a thread, I assume it wasn't thread worthy?
https://twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo/status/649579205416521728
If anything, hopefully the meeting results in Kojima's next production heading to the PS4. He's still an excellent game designer for the most part, but I've lost a ton of admiration over him as a storyteller over the past decade. His willingness to disregard established canon is an unforgivable sin when it results in the fanbase pretty much being unable to trust the very foundation in which the franchise has built upon.

Exactly, remember how Solidus had a sick sword fight after a boat crash instead of falling into a coma.Or how Solidus managed to at once be a better father figure and a better evil-doer than Big Boss.

I didn't see Solidus go into a coma after crashing the Harrier, either.

How do we know the Liquid in the hind was the real liquid and not some body double? How do we know that the Liquid that fell off the top of Rex wasn't just a body double? Why didn't they succumb to FOXDIE? It's because jeep Liquid was the real Liquid.

What's wrong, Snake?

JAVqhfr.jpg
Could it be you're... Craving my McParasites?

usp84

One other thing. Do we know when big boss woke up from the coma?It must be surely after zero visits(that was is 1977??). And then he just waited for the medic to wake up right?

Golnei

I could not rock either of those frames.

I just stick with a standard black one and it's a shame

Don't feel too bad, they can't really pull them off either.

Like I said n the last thread Skull Face is actually kinda cute.

Sort of. The combination of the voice, mannerisms and costume with his very sanitised mutilations and the constant awkwardness that surrounds him do make it very difficult for him to even approach being intimidating; but that's not necessarily a bad thing unless we were supposed to be actively disgusted by and hate him - he's really more of V's adorable mascot character, and he succeeds well enough at that. Also, if we're dredging things up from the last thread...

What's wrong, Snake?

Could it be you're... Craving my McParasites?

tumblr_nvdsybcObt1qcfkb7o1_500.png

KOMANI

KOMANI
^holy shit, it's the Reem!

What would have made the infamous jeep ride less awkward is if Skulllface sang his plans to Venom... With a quick intermission by Donna Burke.

Xiraiya

So I see on the FOB notice we're getting a patch on the 6th on PC, the day MGO comes out for console players, I wonder what it will do.

Vibranium

Banned

Those dominant genes man, Snake's life would have been a hell of a lot easier for him and the player if he got them.

Xiraiya

If Liquid hadn't been forced to believe he was garbage and become insane as a result of it, he would have ended up truly unstoppable.

I take that PR quote to mean "The game has a ton of depth and is absolutely complete as intended - you'll come to the same conclusion over time, and don't let a data-mined asset imply the game is unfinished."

Which... I guess is about as reasonable an answer as you'd get without heads rolling at Konami HQ.

Angel_DvA

The only thing I struggle with is Paz stuff, is venom Snake crazy and recreate Paz because reason ? if it's the case, could have he created Ismael ( Big Boss ), isn't he maybe the real Big Boss who's losing it and created a double of himself ? it's not the first time in the game when he's confused and has hallucination...

One other thing. Do we know when big boss woke up from the coma?It must be surely after zero visits(that was is 1977??). And then he just waited for the medic to wake up right?
Big Boss likely woke up from his legitimate coma several weeks prior to Venom Snake since his situation was artificially induced. I don't know how medically advanced coma treatment might've been in the mid-80s, but it does take longer to awaken from barbiturate unconsciousness due to the effects of the drug on the body. Once Big Boss returned to the world of the living naturally, the Cyprus staff begun their therapy to revive Venom Snake in order to kick off the doppelganger scheme.

EDIT:
Angel_DvA said:
The only thing I struggle with is Paz stuff, is venom Snake crazy and recreate Paz because reason ? if it's the case, could have he created Ismael ( Big Boss ), isn't he maybe the real Big Boss who's losing it and created a double of himself ? it's not the first time in the game when he's confused and has hallucination...
Her appearance was a series of hallucinations brought on by his guilt as the medic that failed to find the second bomb in Ground Zeroes. It served as another hint toward his true identity on the chance you weren't already aware he wasn't the real Big Boss (Ishmael).

Unless the Truth tapes are also all made up by Venom Snake, I highly doubt it. All of the true ending would have to be made up too.

Replaying MGS again. And I found it kind of sad to see Mantis die. I know he was a monster, but just weird after seeing him as a child.

Top Bottom