• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meteos - Gamespot review

Meteos is deffinitely a tad better than Lumines IMO. However, Mizuguchi said that there's a lot of stuff he wanted to put into the 1st Lumines but because Q wanted to hit launch/near launch they held back a bit. If this is an indication that Lumines 2 will happen then i don't know what is.

Shao

Having tried out the flash games, I can see the appealing gameplay right away, this might actually be the first puzzle game I buy ever (not a fan of falling blocks).

The videos of IGN make this game look very entertaining too, the explosions and the way the blocks fizzle out as they reach the top, or fall back down, all looks very satisfying and addictive.The 2 tone blocks of lumines also dont appeal to me, nor does the gameplay look at all satisfying, safe to say Lumines hasn't impressed me yet.

I'm gonna have a hard time justifying my spending on portable gaming in the next 6 months, think I've mentally lined up about £500 worth of must buys and thats not including Christmas presents :( Spoil myself or self control? Argh damn you DS.

BuddyC

neptunes said:
Just curious, where in canada?
That's a wonderful question, and unfortunately, I don't know the exact location. I think it's out in Foleyet, Ontario, more specifcally, Lake Nemegosenda.

Dazzla

I loved Lumines, I just lost myself in it for hours, if Meteos is anywhere near it then I'll be happy. I was watching the tutorial videos of it and the gameplay concept just seems better to me, looks fantastic!

Jasoco

Banned
I still love Lumines. But I've been wanting Meteos. I can't picture any puzzle replacing Lumines as my video game crack, though. But that's not to say someone won't. I'll check into Meteos as soon as I possibly can. I liked the video demo I saw a while ago.

I didn't even realize it was made by the same people. I hope they can duplicate Lum's success.

Hyoushi

Winning team!

Meteos is total greatness, I agree with all the love in here. I have unlocked all the planets and everything, and the game just keeps on giving. Constantly improving your skills is almost always possible, and bettering your scores / times in Time Attack is ENDLESS FUN!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Hyoushi said:
Winning team!

Meteos is total greatness, I agree with all the love in here. I have unlocked all the planets and everything, and the game just keeps on giving. Constantly improving your skills is almost always possible, and bettering your scores / times in Time Attack is ENDLESS FUN!
That seems to be one point that makes it better than lumines: there's no end to getting a high score. (I've played lumines, and it's great, but any puzzle game like it where you, at some point, reach a maximum high score just makes me go "WTF?" They should have made the counter go to like 1 billion or something)

bigNman

Do you have to drag the stylus in order to swap blocks? I always thought it would be faster and easier just to tap the two blocks you want to swap (it would save on wear and tear too)

Anyone know? Im buying it anyway, the first puzzle game I will have ever bought since I started gaming 15 years ago!

Shao

believe its drag, which is why the "randomly scratching touch screen" trick works

Just ordered my DS along with Mario64, Meteos, Kirby, Minish Cap, Fire Emblem 2 and Advance Wars 2! Might pick up Another Code in stores too, just gotta wait a few weeks for it to arrive *fingers crossed* first time importing.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
bigNman said:
Do you have to drag the stylus in order to swap blocks? I always thought it would be faster and easier just to tap the two blocks you want to swap (it would save on wear and tear too)

Anyone know? Im buying it anyway, the first puzzle game I will have ever bought since I started gaming 15 years ago!

It's dragging.

jgkspsx

bigNman said:
I always thought it would be faster and easier just to tap the two blocks you want to swap (it would save on wear and tear too)
That's because you haven't played Polarium's challenge mode :p

Zeo

Banned
Man, I almost picked up Bomberman tonight after having a few people tell me it's fucking awesome. But I'm going to pick up Meteos first I think, just so I don't keep spending money left and right on all the good games out. Heh.

Perfect timing too. Two weeks (and almost 21 hours of gameplay!) into Kirby and I'm 99.4% done. I just need the medals from the Cart Run and Block whatever Subgames and I have -everything- in the game. :O

So Meteos comes just in time.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Zeo said:
Man, I almost picked up Bomberman tonight after having a few people tell me it's fucking awesome. But I'm going to pick up Meteos first I think, just so I don't keep spending money left and right on all the good games out. Heh.

Perfect timing too. Two weeks (and almost 21 hours of gameplay!) into Kirby and I'm 99.4% done. I just need the medals from the Cart Run and Block whatever Subgames and I have -everything- in the game. :O

So Meteos comes just in time.
speaking of which, I can't do paint panic. :(

Zeo

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
speaking of which, I can't do paint panic. :(

Here's a couple hints:

Go slow, just not too slow. Make sure after every blinking panels round, you do NOT mess up when they give you the easy pictures. You want the bonus points. But if you have to lift your stylus up to check the path to draw, do it. It's better than messing up and losing points.

There are 99 drawings to complete. I died on number fucking 99. But I still got an A ranking. You have to get over 34,000 or 35,000 I think. My score is 35,110.

And I've gotten B's on the others. :\

Zixia

I didn't even know this game existed till I found a video link from FielFront. I currently own Lumines and have been enjoyign it very much. But like everyone eles I need to move on to other games :)

RuGalz

So... for those who have played it for a decent amount of time... Has anything changed so that you can't just randomly scrape all over the screen and do pretty damn well? That's like the major turn off for me in this game based on the E3 demo, otherwise, a fun, interesting game.

siege

Banned
RuGalz said:
So... for those who have played it for a decent amount of time... Has anything changed so that you can't just randomly scrape all over the screen and do pretty damn well? That's like the major turn off for me in this game based on the E3 demo, otherwise, a fun, interesting game.

According to the reviews, that's still a problem.

stewy

chespace said:
Currently on a week-long trip right now and have been playing the holy hell out of Meteos (the import version). In fact, I've been playing this game more consistently since its release than anything on DS or PSP. There are so many layers of depth here, and sooo many planets you can unlock, each with a unique physics system. I've been trying to find a handful of good ones for multiplayer death dealing.

Going to see john_tv tomorrow... I'll unleash some of this pent up practice on him!

Best game on DS, hands down.

Agreed. I haven't been able to put it down since it showed up last week.

One thing on that review above: He can't imagine having more fun than this, but the game is an 8.5? *boggle*

I know 8.5's not a "bad" score, but that statement makes it sound like it should be closer to 10.

Nate405

RuGalz said:
I've only been playing the E3 demo, but all of the impressions I've read from importers say that randomly scratching really isn't adequate for higher levels of play and that a decent player will beat a scratcher in multiplayer every time.

siege

Banned
From a well written review on GameFaq's:

You see, the biggest, blackest mark against the good name Meteos can be found in its unfortunately broken game design. Broken as in, why bother playing it the way you're supposed to when randomly brushing your stylus across the screen produces the same results. For it's having had their play area over-run with blocks that players can literally cut lose, rubbing at random and setting up chain reactions they may not have otherwise seen. Remember that buyer beware? Here it is. Indulge this tactic even once and it becomes a habit hard to ignore, those that show restraint however will find a five minute, five star experience that's solidly great. Say, how's your self control?

:(

Hyoushi

siege said:
From a well written review on GameFaq's:

You see, the biggest, blackest mark against the good name Meteos can be found in its unfortunately broken game design. Broken as in, why bother playing it the way you're supposed to when randomly brushing your stylus across the screen produces the same results. For it's having had their play area over-run with blocks that players can literally cut lose, rubbing at random and setting up chain reactions they may not have otherwise seen. Remember that buyer beware? Here it is. Indulge this tactic even once and it becomes a habit hard to ignore, those that show restraint however will find a five minute, five star experience that's solidly great. Say, how's your self control?

:(
That's total bullcrap to any serious player. This scribbling method is totally pointless in 80-90% of the game. It might work in linear Startrip and Simple on two star difficulty or lower, but in any other mode it's fucking pointless. Scribbling like that is too random and doesn't give you any stepjump chains, therefore negating big scores AND offensive blocks against opponents. Reviewers who think this this "flaw" is breaking the game have not paid attention to any part of the game that requires real skill, and should therefore be disregarded as lamers. End.

My beef with Meteos is understanding how to unlock planets (import matter, since I don't know Japanese), and how tiny the boxes get (my poor eyes). I prefer it to Lumines, just because Lumines goes on forever sometimes. One thing I really liked about Meteos is the ability to download a demo game to a friend's DS.

And hey, Polarium rocks. Some good thinking puzzles.

siege

Banned
Hyoushi said:
That's total bullcrap to any serious player. This scribbling method is totally pointless in 80-90% of the game. It might work in linear Startrip and Simple on two star difficulty or lower, but in any other mode it's fucking pointless. Scribbling like that is too random and doesn't give you any stepjump chains, therefore negating big scores AND offensive blocks against opponents. Reviewers who think this this "flaw" is breaking the game have not paid attention to any part of the game that requires real skill, and should therefore be disregarded as lamers. End.

That's good to hear. I'll be picking the game up tomorrow.

Ulthwe

I've been playing the game since its japanese launch. The first two weeks where non-stop, just couldn't put down the game (you know the drill, "just another one"). The unlockables do a really good job in keeping the interest high.
I slowly ceased playing it, when I only had two or three planets left to unlock, but I picked it up again last week and, voila! instant addiction and more "just another one".

The scribling is not anoying at all. Hyoushi has really nailed it with its description. I don't really feel like "cheating". I sometimes use it and if I it saves my ass for a -short- moment, that's right for me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How's the music here? I loved the gameplay in Lumines, but it was the music that REALLY drew me in. The game was more of an experience as a result...

I haven't heard much from Meteos, however...

Tiktaalik

I checked out the scribbling method in the e3 demo, and while I found that it can buy you a few seconds of time if you're in a pinch, it's pretty unreliable. I was alot more successful when I planned things out and went for moves that cleared huge parts of the board.

jgkspsx

dark10x said:
How's the music here? I loved the gameplay in Lumines, but it was the music that REALLY drew me in. The game was more of an experience as a result...

It's not the focus of the experience by any means, but it's extremely well done and very atmospheric. Very tension-inducing :lol

Mode

dark10x said:

It's OK. Don't expect dance music or CD quality music.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
The 'scribbling' is only a problem when you're first getting to know the game. It's a first impression type of thing. Think of Meteos like a fighting game -- skilled players can school the button mashers, but the mashers are always gonna have luck on their side.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Marty Chinn said:
Are you sure that's right? My Fry's says $22.99 tomorrow, not $29.99. At that price, I'll pick it up despite my hesitations.

only $22.99 in the bay area. heee haa

WindyMan

I would compare this "flaw" in Meteos' gameplay to randomly flipping panels in Panel De Pon, hoping to get that magical block matchup before you die. It's just you can do it faster in Meteos because of the touch screen control.

Let me explain it in a little more detail. You still die in Meteos when a column of blocks goes over the top line and stays unattended for a period of time. For one, there is an audible warning when this happens, and the column in question flashes. Most of the time, there are three blocks of the same color in any vertical column, so you can just match them up and cut some height off that stack. No point in doing random scribbling there.

The only other time you would need to worry about dying is when the majority of your columns are filled due to multiplayer garbage or missing a rocket launch when blasting up the entire pile. In this case, the entire screen will probably light up. Randomly scribbling might get you one or maybe two rockets to go, but you still need to worry about the columns that didn't get a rocket, in which case the random scribbling only wasted time in getting attention to those columns.

As I read all the review that mention this problem, it's as if they still don't completely understand how the game works. I got the import and have been playing it ever since, and I expect to keep playing it until I can get some insanely high score and/or time going. (My current best high score is 150,000+, I want to get 200k one of these days.)

Hyoushi

WindyMan said:
(My current best high score is 150,000+, I want to get 200k one of these days.)
In Challenge mode you mean? Or... five minute time attack? I think it's easier there. My current top in 5 minute is 229.900, but I'm confident I can better that.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Marty Chinn said:
Are you sure that's right? My Fry's says $22.99 tomorrow, not $29.99. At that price, I'll pick it up despite my hesitations.

Anyone know how much the Fry's stores in the Houston area are selling this for? For $23, I'll definately be picking it up.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
tedtropy said:
Anyone know how much the Fry's stores in the Houston area are selling this for? For $23, I'll definately be picking it up.

apparantly it's only $22.99 in the bay area california, but i might be wrong

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Wario64 said:
apparantly it's only $22.99 in the bay area california, but i might be wrong

May the ocean consume you.

I called and the guy that answered claimed the game 'wasn't in their system'. I'm sure by 'system' he meant the Super Street Fury Pimp Yo' Ride magazine in front of him...

Top Bottom