• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid 25th anniversary Thread: Gaf does what Nintendon't

For anyone wanting to pick up the old NES classics GBA cartridge now, I would advise buying Metroid: Zero Mission instead, as you can unlock the original NES game there after playing through the remake once.

IrishNinja

man, those framed Metroid posters look great.

in honor of this thread, i'm finally playing Fusion - what an awesome game! i shouldve done this after like my 10th Super Metroid playthrough.

right now, ive been advised by the totally-trustworthy computer to return to my ship for important information! off i go!

oracrest

DidntKnowJack said:
Just a quick question. I have the GBA version of the original NES game, is it a fairly good representation of that first title?

(For anyone who doesn't know what I mean) VVVVVVVV

2rnx3c8.jpg

I never played the NES game. All I know is what I've played of the GBA version and it's hard as fuck.

That's how I finally played through Metroid to the end..

It's great, all the classics series are good versions. Play it on a mirco, it will look great.

Just beat Metroid: Other M with 100% items. Not going to bother with hard mode because I don't like it enough to do another run. If I ever do, it'll be on hard though. The game was fun, and I liked how there was another boss in the post-game -- one from a previous Metroid! I think Samus is nuts for returning to the Bottle Ship for the post game -- especially with all the dangers there and because it's about to explode.

Fun game. That's it. The story wasn't great, but it does leave room for a sequel, which might not happening considering how this game got panned and sales probably weren't great.

Oh, Samus' voice-actor sucked. Her voice is ok, but the way she read her lines sounded dumb. Nintendo should've included a JP voice option.

I was bored and I got thinking, I would love it if Nintendo could farm the next handheld Metroid out to Chair and then next console one to Rocksteady.

I'm really interested to see what Nintendo do with Metroid next, after the luke warm reception on Other M and Retro possibly being burnt out on the series. Much like everyone else I'd really like to see them do a back to the roots of the series sort of thing and I'm sure Chair could do the Metroid franchise justice.

Ellis Kim

Banned
blamite said:
I definitely want those, as long as they're reasonably priced. Where might I go to order them when they're out?
My guess? Probably in the range of 4-5k yen. They're both 1/8th scale (I think?) so they should be fairly reasonable, assuming you feel the size validates paying $40-60 incl. shipping.

I don't know what the best sites are, but I think that once they're released, Amazon will be a pretty good place to check. But if you're inclined towards preordering:

http://www.hlj.com/
http://plamoya.com/
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/plamo/

Ohhhh man I need that Varia Suit one. The 40 - 60 dollar price range sounds reasonable to me, any word on when they're supposed to come out?

drspeedy

Yazan said:
This is what I want:

114363070_1.jpg

I may never forgive designers for those shoulder pads. I know, I get the whole, "but... teh morphball" and all that, but they really suck. Give me light suit Samus any day

Lightsuit.jpg

So since this thread has gotten me into a Metroid mood, I finally went and am now playing through Metroid Prime Hunters for the first time, even though I've owned it for over a year.

Now it starts off super slow and a bit cumbersome...but my hand has finally gotten used to the controls, and dare I say that after you have explored a bit the game has actually started becoming....fun?

It's definitely not my favorite Metroid, and it may even be my least favorite Metroid, but the game still has its charm and is quite fun. I like the different weapons in this one.

Glad I finally pulled it out and gave it a chance.

mantidor

Ellis Kim said:
New Samus figures revealed:

http://tomopop.com/c3-hobby-show-here-are-your-images-of-zero-suit-and-figma-samus--20793.phtml

http://tomopop.com/ul/20793-/FigmaSamus1-550x.jpg[IMG][IMG]http://tomopop.com/ul/20793-/figmasamus2-550x.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://tomopop.com/ul/20793-/zerosuitsamus2-550x.jpg[IMG][IMG]http://tomopop.com/ul/20793-/zerosuitsamus3-550x.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://tomopop.com/ul/20793-/zerosuitsamus-550x.jpg[IMG]

I want both of them! Augh. I'd probably get the Zero Suit Samus :D Sooooo badass. The pose is awesome.

The varia suit version is a figma, while the zero suit is a statue. By MaxFactory.[/QUOTE]

Too bad about the ridiculous heels in Other M (well, and the "proportions" of Samus), otherwise, I'd say the varia and zero suit in that game are one of the best of the series, specially the varia suit.

Brainiac 8 said:
So since this thread has gotten me into a Metroid mood, I finally went and am now playing through Metroid Prime Hunters for the first time, even though I've owned it for over a year.

Now it starts off super slow and a bit cumbersome...but my hand has finally gotten used to the controls, and dare I say that after you have explored a bit the game has actually started becoming....fun?

It's definitely not my favorite Metroid, and it may even be my least favorite Metroid, but the game still has its charm and is quite fun. I like the different weapons in this one.

Glad I finally pulled it out and gave it a chance.
I remember playing it a little while after it came out, I couldn't deal with the hand cramps I was getting so I put it aside and sold it a little while later. I actually picked up a copy of it again 2 weeks ago just waiting for the right time to play it.

And yes the first4figure models do rock so god damn hard
Samusstatue2.jpg

That said I can't wait to get that new Power Suit Samus one, looks soo god damn good.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Maxrunner said:
Well, yes, I'd certainly hope that $250 cold-cast statues would be better than <$50 plastic figures. The former are a bit out of some people's budgets, though.

I'm so pumped for the Varia suit Figma. 25 years and we finally, finally get a good, posable Samus figure. Far overdue.

(I was really hoping Kaiyodo would get the license and do several Revoltechs of a number of different suits, but this is good too.)

Maxrunner said:

Sure, but they're also like 3 - 5x the price soooooo........

Not everyone has 250 bucks to drop on a statue. Specially when they're not made all the time and you pretty much have like a 3 month window to get them. I wish I had the cash when some of those F4F statues came out. It would be nice if they re-released some of the Suit statues.

Congratz to Shin Johnpv and PixyJunket for winning the contest! They have been contacted and will soon have a handmade Metroid plushie in their hands.

While not many entries in total, those who submitted were all really solid and I wish I had made a plushie for each entry.

Thanks to Stumpokapow for acting as co-judge for the contest :)

linko9

Just wanted to pop by and say that I'm replaying all the metroid games now as I do every year. Currently on Super Metroid (which I play about 4 times a year). Game is amazing. I also had the pleasure of watching my friend who'd never played the game before play through the whole game. It's cool getting to see someone play through the game for the first time, partially because it reminds of of your first playthrough, and it's cool to recapture that experience in some way.

I absolutely MUST have that Zero Suit Samus figure.

Unless they sell the metroid seperate. Then I'd probably just buy that.

Word is that these are NOT of the $300 variety either? Most excellent. Date?

Also, big thanks to Metroid Killer for the contest. I'm surprised my 2004 collection won! It almost makes me want to brave the closets and boxes to gather a 2011 picture. Almost.

I picked this piece of art up at AnimeFest in Dallas this weekend.

I'll probably get it framed, but I figured I'd share it now before this thread becomes dust.

2cml010.jpg

FlashbladeGAF said:
not sure this has been posted already, but...

For all you Metroid music fans
The Crimson Depths- Metroid Kraids Lair/Red Soil Orchestrated

Pretty decent arrangement by Sam Dillard
you can get the mp3 (and others) off his site http://www.samostudios.com/my-music
It's in the OP actually :p It's part of the Harmony of a Hunter remix album, you need to check it out if you haven't already.

Speaking of art... I don't know why I haven't mentioned it in this thread already, but I'm obviously a big fan of the works of stencil artist PaperMonster:

papermonster_samus.jpg

papermonster21.jpg

Wish he would return for more Samus stuff though.

KevinCow

Banned
ShineSparkers, the site that did the Harmony of a Hunter collection, linked to this pretty cool song: Only Human.

It's not a remix, just a song inspired by the series, but it's a pretty good one.

Ocaso

As long as we're speaking of Metroid inspired songs that aren't just remixes, I've always been partial to Hale-Bopp's Salutations from the Metroid month in Dwelling of Duels. It captures the Tool sound beautifully with Metroid-inspired lyrics.

The rest of DoD that month was also pretty awesome. Worth checking out if you missed it.

IrishNinja

just wanted to add that this fantastic OP/effort got me to go back & play both Fusion and Zero Mission, and both were amazing; no idea how i slept on them so long.

found a copy of Prime Trilogy a while back on the cheap, too, might save that one for the WU's launch since it's likely to be scarce. anyway, thanks again to OP & others here for reminding me what an awesome series this is.

oh yeah, had to repost this from the covers thread too.

Prax

I haven't posted on GAF in forever (though I still lurk form time to time), but I did do something for Metroid's 25th anni a few weeks back!

bad_ass_metroid_fighter_by_meibatsu-d47fdd5.jpg

So here's to Samus Aran, one BAMF lady! (Bad Ass MOTHER F*****--get it?! xD Haha, I make bad puns..)
I used her Other M Varia Suit design. I have played that game and did not hate it. It just had... hilariousness when it came to the narrative.. (the baby baby baby~!.. I love babies, btw). My interpretation of her is a mix of Other M's design (beauty mark~!) and tweaked to my own taste (slightly less frail and dainty in design). Her hair has fallen out of her neat ponytail because she is all tough and stuff! She took off her helmet because she was tired of the stink of her own sweat and a metroid is going to try t take advantage of the opportunity.

^Nice artwork man! I really really like Samus' face. Makes her look like a strong woman who has experienced hell a few times. Would you mind sending me a larger file via PM so I can add it to the thread?

Concerning t-shirts. Fangamer has a few.

Metroid Killer said:
^Nice artwork man! I really really like Samus' face. Makes her look like a strong woman who has experienced hell a few times. Would you mind sending me a larger file via PM so I can add it to the thread?

Concerning t-shirts. Fangamer has a few.

Already bought the orpheon and the hunter combo :)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Does anyone know if the Famicom Mini Metroid is a port of the FDS version? How's the quality?

louie

Just beat the original Metroid on the 3ds yesterday. Now I just have to hunt down and beat Metroid 2 to complete my collection.

luka said:
Does anyone know if the Famicom Mini Metroid is a port of the FDS version? How's the quality?
Yes, it's the FDS version and the quality should be the same as any other NES/Famicom GBA port.

Top Bottom