• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread |OT| Prime Hour

CGiRanger

Banned
I think Metroid Prime 2 was acknowledged to have been the toughest Metroid game up until now (if you don't count the original). Some of the bosses in that one were no joke, and of course the whole dark/light mechanic.

Last edited:

tommib

1SqWzYm.jpg

Last edited:

Aldric

I think Metroid Prime 2 was acknowledged to have been the toughest Metroid game up until now (if you don't count the original). Some of the bosses in that one were no joke, and of course the whole dark/light mechanic.
Yeah I think Echoes might be harder. I haven't replayed it in a very long time but I remember spending a lot of time on some bosses, much longer than in Dread, mostly because Echoes didn't have Dread's checkpoint system so there were a few sections where you had to make a tedious trek back to the boss room to try again which made the whole process particularly grating. The spider guardian in Sanctuary Fortress was especially painful. I think finding your way through the world was also harder, the level design in Echoes is probably the most complex and confusing in the series.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I always thought people complaining about the difficulty in that game were full of it, but it may be true it was the hardest until now. I feel like the bosses here were 10x harder, I never slammed against a boss in that game like a dozen times like I did against Raven Beak

Marty-McFly

Banned
The game is pretty mediocre imo, but coming into this thread you would think some milestone has been achieved in gaming

If you are gushing so much about it, i recommend playing Ori, it will blow your mind
Ori blew alright, but not my mind.

JK, I enjoyed it, but Dread just feels so much better to play. It's a higher calibre game in pretty much every conceivable way.

Plus I'll take Samus' badass arm cannon over prancing around a forest any day.

Last edited:

Terenty

Ori blew alright, but not my mind.

JK, I enjoyed it, but Dread just feels so much better to play. It's a higher calibre game in pretty much every conceivable way.

Plus I'll take Samus' badass arm cannon over prancing around a forest any day.
Samus animates and controls great, i agree, but higher calibre in every way?

There's a lot of recycled content in Dread, the exploration is almost non existent, every biome plays the same and almost looks the same, unlike Ori, where underwater, sand, snow etc biomes actually brought new things gameplay wise.

Music art is subjective, but Ori actually has a beautiful and memorable soundtrack, which can't be said about Dread

cireza

Got 100% item this morning. Now I simply have to complete the game. This will most probably be below 10 hours playtime (I am around 8 right now), which is the average for a 2D Metroid game for me.

Curious to start experimenting with sequence breaking. I wonder how much we can skip.

Last edited:

Fredrik

the exploration is almost non existent, every biome plays the same and almost looks the same
This is just plain wrong. How far have you played?

I’m a huge fan of both Ori games though. After some patches Will of the Wisps surpassed Blind Forest, and both are on my best games of all time list, I’ve 100-percented both. It’s one of the biggest losses that Moon is now working on other things, maybe their next game will also be good but it won’t be Ori and that’s a major bummer.

But Metroid Dread is even better.

tommib

Samus animates and controls great, i agree, but higher calibre in every way?

There's a lot of recycled content in Dread, the exploration is almost non existent, every biome plays the same and almost looks the same, unlike Ori, where underwater, sand, snow etc biomes actually brought new things gameplay wise.

Music art is subjective, but Ori actually has a beautiful and memorable soundtrack, which can't be said about Dread
Agree about the music but the worlds are as different as in any other Metroid game. For better or worst, it's a classic Metroid experience without bullshit. It's definitely what I wanted it to be.

Terenty

This is just plain wrong. How far have you played?
Im at a point where i need to fight the second chozo robot, an immense bullet sponge, placed almost right after the first one, which is a rather strange decision pacing wise, and frankly annoying.

So far all the biomes played the same, by which i mean you use the same bag of tricks to traverse it. Where in Ori an underwater biome played differently to the sand one, for example, and posed different challenges.

And aesthetically, its kinda difficult to tell apart one lab environment from another.

KielCasto

Finished it! The last boss and the sequence after that clicked so much with me, gameplay- and narrative-wise. I was so engrossed in the fight, I couldn't tell if I was still in control of Samus or a cutscene was playing. I pretty much never let go of the Y button until the credits rolled. What an amazing game with a great portrayal of Samus.

But I didn't understand why the chozo helped Samus in the ship? And this doesn't mean that all chozo are dead now, does it?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You guys are killing me. I had to stop playing to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday. Now I have to work 12s every day until I have a 5 day trip. I'm right before the final boss too lol. Might be another week unless I can sneak in a few late night sessions to get 100% items.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Got to Cataris. Got to say, this game is fantastic.

I’ve always been interested in Metroid, but I’ve always struggled with 2D Metroidvania-esque games. I gave up after half an hour on Hollow Knight for example. Tried Super Metroid, had no idea what I was doing.

I struggled for the first hour on Dread, I think it’s the way 2D maps translate with exploration, I genuinely end up feeling lost and like I have no idea where to go. However, this game has just clicked with me all of a sudden, and it feels like when I finally ‘got’ Demon’s Souls and the gameplay loop clicks and you just ‘get it’ all of a sudden.

Controls are fucking tight as well, spent the first hour waving my blaster around like a piss head, jumping around like a crack head and spamming L/R and Y because I couldn’t remember how to fire a rocket. Now I’m moving around like a ninja and spanked the first boss with ease, it’s amazing to feel myself becoming better at the game.

Having a blast.

Last edited:

Phase

I struggled for the first hour on Dread, I think it’s the way 2D maps translate with exploration, I genuinely end up feeling lost and like I have no idea where to go. However, this game has just clicked with me all of a sudden, and it feels like when I finally ‘got’ Demon’s Souls and the gameplay loop clicks and you just ‘get it’ all of a sudden.
It took me a good few hours to understand how they want you to progress. They seal off the "way back" a lot so you can only explore forward a couple of ways. Very frustrating at first, but it's designed a specific way.

Last edited:

SCB3

I've had a few days away due to a severe tooth infection so gaming was out the window, but back now and after finishing off Alan Wake again, jumping back in,

That 3rd E.M.M.I is a real pain to deal with, even with the new ability
The Phantom Suit
and I'm not 100% on where to go in this new area

Thaedolus

Finished it! The last boss and the sequence after that clicked so much with me, gameplay- and narrative-wise. I was so engrossed in the fight, I couldn't tell if I was still in control of Samus or a cutscene was playing. I pretty much never let go of the Y button until the credits rolled. What an amazing game with a great portrayal of Samus.

But I didn't understand why the chozo helped Samus in the ship? And this doesn't mean that all chozo are dead now, does it?
It was the good guy Chozo that got killed then infected with the X earlier. Seemed like he still had some good guy energy left, and the X seemingly cancelled out the Metroid DNA in Samus so she’s back to normal. And it seems like yeah that’s the last of the Chozo…until they find some more up to some shit on planet ZBR88C3PO

Buggy Loop

Got 100% items last night. I’ll be honest, initially I thought I would never get some of these items because of shinespark puzzles, but I found there was almost always an easier more smart alternative than the pure reflex ones.

Attempted my first fight against the final boss also after… let’s just say after being brutally owned this was my face.

crazy stanley kubrick GIF

tommib

You guys are killing me. I had to stop playing to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday. Now I have to work 12s every day until I have a 5 day trip. I'm right before the final boss too lol. Might be another week unless I can sneak in a few late night sessions to get 100% items.
I reached the end boss and went back for items. I’m at 74% but I don’t know if I have it in me to 100% this. The speed booster puzzles kill me.

tommib

I've had a few days away due to a severe tooth infection so gaming was out the window, but back now and after finishing off Alan Wake again, jumping back in,

That 3rd E.M.M.I is a real pain to deal with, even with the new ability
The Phantom Suit
and I'm not 100% on where to go in this new area
Search for the central computer unit on the map or whatever that’s called. That’s normally the process with the Emmy Awards.

SCB3

Search for the central computer unit on the map or whatever that’s called. That’s normally the process with the Emmy Awards.
Yep, though I've managed to travel to another new area Darion, so I think I maybe have gone too far, but then again, maybe not

Phase

Yep, though I've managed to travel to another new area Darion, so I think I maybe have gone too far, but then again, maybe not
At one point the only way I could actually physically progress in the game was by breaking blocks in one specific place.

Nearing the end of my hard mode play through. Just got gravity suit again. Hard isn’t so bad, you just have to be a bit more precise during bosses, but other then that, it’s extremely manageable having come right off normal mode.

cireza

Completed my first run tonight, with all items, in 8h45. It was a good experience, game was pretty solid overall and I don't have much negative to say about it, except for what I said previously with the fact that it is a super straightforward Metroid game.

With how the game is built, I think that speedruns are still going to be a bit long, but I have yet to experiment with sequence breaking.

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Beat the 3rd boss. Was a pretty easy fight tbh

Drogyga​

Aka underwater tentacle eyeball thing.

The Super missiles probably helped but all it took was two trips across the overhead conveyor and one parry of his tentacle and he was out of it. Even without the super missiles I would have been pretty easy to maintain that sequence. Pretty easy sequence compared to Kraid.

I'd probably be getting though them a lot faster if I wasn't so easily distracted by collectibles and hunting them.

The radar just made that obsession worse. Now I *must* blip every room

Aldric

ori was pretty fucking boring actually but okay
I wish people would stop engaging in these stupid ass wars between games. Ori games are great, Hollow Knight is great, and Dread is great. You can have individual preference for one of them but it's undeniable they're all extremely high quality titles and every Metroidvania fan should rejoice about the genre having so many quality titles to choose from. You could add Bloodstained, Axiom Verge and a plethora of smaller games to the list. Definintely one of the healthiest genres in the industry right now.

Portugeezer

I wish people would stop engaging in these stupid ass wars between games. Ori games are great, Hollow Knight is great, and Dread is great. You can have individual preference for one of them but it's undeniable they're all extremely high quality titles and every Metroidvania fan should rejoice about the genre having so many quality titles to choose from. You could add Bloodstained, Axiom Verge and a plethora of smaller games to the list. Definintely one of the healthiest genres in the industry right now.
I agree, the whole X Metroidvania is better than Y Metroidvania is annoying as hell.

This is a Metroid thread, for a critically acclaimed Metroid game; someone is just looking to start shit if they come here acting as people are deluded to praise the game so much. Muh superior taste.

I don't ever thought about difficulty when the game is interesting to play. Dark Souls or Sekiro were hard? I don't have an answer and don't care because those are very interesting to play and I have beaten them without ever thinking about how hard or easy they were. So making a game that is hard means you have to make a game enjoyable and rewarding to justify that difficulty - that's much harder to make too. In short - those games I've mentioned are masterpieces of a game design and Prime 2 and Dread seems to be one of those games. I just don't care about difficulty because how fun are those to play.

SCB3

Ok, a few more hours in and I managed to finally gain:

Morph Ball
Varia Suit

And defeat? The second boss (I don't believe for 1 second its dead), only a few attempts as well, I felt I was getting better each attempt.

Though I will say, the game is "guiding" me in certain directions at times, like I feel lost and that sometimes I feel like I'm skipping ahead (The
Varia Suit being this early for example
)

Phase

I just have to say that it was a terrible decision to put QTE's at the end of boss fights. Also, 10hrs into playing this game and I still fumble the controls sometimes. They didn't need to be so complicated.

Last edited:

Jeeves

By the way, I've been curious about...

The golden Chozo warrior with the shield and spear. I think it's the last miniboss before Raven Beak? Anyway, it's the only thing in the game that I was never able to counter. Is it even possible?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
No

ori is pretty boring after a while
Hollow knight is the most bland looking shit metroidvania game i ever laid my eyes on.

the mummy demastered
Chasm
Timespinners
Bloodstained

for some lesses known metroidvanias

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
My main issue with Ori is the art direction doesn't always lend itself to good level design. There were more than a few times things simply blended into the background, or weren't immediately noticable.
I will say ori is definitly the prettiest none 16bit sprite looking metroidvania

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

By the way, I've been curious about...

The golden Chozo warrior with the shield and spear. I think it's the last miniboss before Raven Beak? Anyway, it's the only thing in the game that I was never able to counter. Is it even possible?

Yeah you can counter the shield, but you have to be close and before he makes his dash, at the bright spark basically.

Top Bottom